Are spren able to go to other worlds through Shadesmar?

Puris92

Question

After reading Azure/Vivenna’s part in Oathbringer, I had a couple of questions. 
She’s from a different world and made her way to Shadesmar in order to get to Roshar. She’s a worldhopper. But how did she get to Shadesmar? 
And if she can get to Shadesmar, can spren go to other worlds? I don’t know if Shadesmar is connected to all of the worlds... 

6 answers to this question

Not really.  Spren can do it theoretically but not even Hoid knows how yet.

Questioner

Has Kelsier done any worldhopping?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier is bound to Scadrial the same way that a spren is bound to Roshar, because of the level of Investiture and the type and the way it happened. It is possible to get off-world but he does not know what it is.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Edited by Karger

47 minutes ago, Puris92 said:

After reading Azure/Vivenna’s part in Oathbringer, I had a couple of questions. 
She’s from a different world and made her way to Shadesmar in order to get to Roshar. She’s a worldhopper. But how did she get to Shadesmar? 
And if she can get to Shadesmar, can spren go to other worlds? I don’t know if Shadesmar is connected to all of the worlds... 

presumably, Vivenna got to the Cognitive Realm(A.K.A Shadesmar on Roshar) of Nalthis through Endowments Perpendicularity then got onto Roshar through Cultivations Perpendicularity, and yes, all worlds are connected in Shademar

Endowments Perendicularity is in the Hallandren Jungle and Cultivation's is in the Horneater Peaks

things like Spren and Cognitive Shadows are usually bound to the world they are made on. anything is possible though and there are a few Spren on Scadrial but almost know one knows how to make it happen.

the Second WoB is about Hoid but it has relevance to Vivenna and your questions about the Cognitive Realm

Alex Hetu

If you went to Shadesmar on Scadrial would there be spren there?

Brandon Sanderson

"Spren" is a term for things on Roshar. So yes, there are a few, but they're from Roshar originally.

General Twitter 2015 (Dec. 11, 2015)

Questioner

I want to know how Hoid travels between worlds. Or, if you're not going to tell me right now, will we ever find out?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid has travelled between the worlds by getting in one Shardpool in Shadesmar and coming out a different one. *pause* Okay? So that is one method he has used to travel between the worlds. The worlds are connected through Shadesmar. Um, things that people don't think about as much reflect very minorly in Shadesmar, so when you-- all the-- most of the space between planets is cut out, and there's some weird, twisted geography going on there. So that's basically how he does it, Cognitive Realm.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

Edited by Eternal Khol

The Cognitive Realm is flat, and places where people aren't living and thinking about are compressed, so you can walk from one planet to another, and cross empty light years in steps.

So people can walk from one planet to another. However, spren and similar beings are bound to where the concentration of power that created them is, so they cannot easily leave those places. Theoretically, there are ways, but it's hard and we don't know what they are.

Yes, they can but it's not easy. Spren and Cognitive Shadows are bound to their world but there is a way to get around that, though we don't know yet what that is.

FirstSelector

So if I'm a Surgebinder, I have my own Cognitive entity with me. Can I go off-world with that and will everything continue to work in exactly the same way? Because we've seen Cognitive entities that don't--

Brandon Sanderson

So taking a Cognitive entity off-world is hard. So, Surgebinding, if you can find out how to make it happen, remember, the Investiture is keyed to Connection. This is why Kelsier is-- Oh, sorry, spoilers! When a certain somebody *laughter* had trouble getting off Scadrial, because he basically was a spren by that point so--*laughter* ...So, yeah Surgebinding would work off planet, but you'd have to get the spren off-planet first. That's hard to do. Cosmere-wide it's not hard hard but it is-- You'd have to know some stuff. You could learn how.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

Vivenna most likely began her worldhopping journey by entering Endowment's Perpendicularity which is located in Hallandren, walked through the Cognitive Realm to other planets, and go out of other Shards' Perpendicularities. It would also be much easier for her to survive there because if Nalthis has customs, why wouldn't it have markets and transport hubs? 

Worldhopping spren is a lot harder because, like most cognitive entities, they're Connected to the planet. We see that Returned can worldhop but they are stapled to a body and maybe Endowment helps them out a tiny bit. Spren doesn't have bodies, however, and their tie to Roshar is arguably stronger than a Returned's tie to Nalthis. It doesn't mean that it's impossible as stated in the following WOB, 

Ruro272 (paraphrased)

On a similar note, since Elsecallers can physically go to Shadesmar and have access to Transportation surge, can all Elsecallers worldhop?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, that is one of the Elsecaller powers.

Ruro272 (paraphrased)

In hindsight this seems like a really obvious question now *laugh*, but I think it's really interesting that Elsecallers can travel to other planets too--we didn't know that before.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There are hints in the names on the map of Shadesmar.

Minicon 2015 (April 2, 2015)

There were worldhopping Elsecallers so it wasn't impossible for, at the very least, inkspren to come along. A lot of knowledge was lost during the Recreance however and that would make worldhopping hard for spren as the ability to go off-world is a learned one. Even then I don't think unbonded true spren can worldhop due to their strong Connection to Roshar. 

So technically yes but there's research to be done and it would be a lot easier or, at least, plausible for spren to worldhop. 

One little detail to add to this: Vasher knows the trick of getting a splinter out from the Physical/Cognitive region that its Investiture is tied to. The Returned are a form of Cognitive Shadow, which means that like spren they're largely bound to the region where they were created. In their case it's the Divine Breath which is 'stapling' their Spiritual/Cognitive aspects back into their original Physical bodies which is causing the binding. Since Vasher has worldhopped multiple times, he must know a way around this limitation.