The Shin and Future sight

Cammac

Hi all,

1st post so bare with me.

Could the Shin have access to future sight?

Here are the things leading me to think its possible:

Firstly there is the Shin sailor from the rattles, that seems to have knowledge of what future sight looks like. He says he knows what the gatherers are doing and will not speak the truths he sees.

Next there is the shin man in the CR who uses some kind of artifact to give readings.

These last few are purely speculative. I can't recall seeing the reason Szeth thought the KR and voidbringers had returned (The reason he was made truthless). Could there be other artifacts the Shin have besides the 9 honor blades, such as the man in the CR had?

Also, was it only coincidence that a Shin man was in the right place at the right time to collect the honor blades in dalinars vision? If I remember correctly he didnt hesitate in gathering them.

Go easy on me. Thanks

Welcome to the Shard!  We're glad to have you!

Unfortunately, I've got to pick at your evidence a bit.

The Shin sailor from the rattles saw the future, but so did all the other people who saw deathrattles.  There's nothing to suggest that the Shin are special in this regard.

The "Shin man" in the Cognitive Realm...have you read any of Brandon's other works?  I don't want to spoil anything, but there are some hints that that person not only isn't from Shinovar but isn't even from Roshar.

To make a long story short, it's plausible that the Shin have access to future sight in one way or another since they definitely have access to the Honorblades, perhaps the missing Shardblades, and who knows what else (though I think you could argue fairly convincingly that they didn't see the whole Desolation thing coming), but we don't really have any evidence that they do.

It's an interesting idea though, and we're glad you're here to share it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I have read everything in the cosmere except white sand.

The part with the Shin sailor was more the fact that he was the only one from the rattles who seemed to understand he was seeing the future and refuse to speak it.

I dont believe that all Shin would have an inherent ability, I'd suggest maybe a lost artifact that szeth stumbled upon during his training with the honor blades. 

I'm hoping we learn alot more of the Shin during Szeths 4th ideal, so far from the little we've seen they've been portrayed as a simple farming people. Training someone with all the honor blades would suggest something alot deeper

Welcome to the shard.

30 minutes ago, Cammac said:

The part with the Shin sailor was more the fact that he was the only one from the rattles who seemed to understand he was seeing the future and refuse to speak it.

The Shin may have some cultural lore that explains the unmade better so he understands what is going on.

31 minutes ago, Cammac said:

I dont believe that all Shin would have an inherent ability, I'd suggest maybe a lost artifact that szeth stumbled upon during his training with the honor blades. 

To the best of our knowledge none of the honorblades grant future sight.

4 hours ago, Cammac said:

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I have read everything in the cosmere except white sand.

Welcome to the Shard! Okay, since you've read everything in the Cosmere, did you notice that the man in Shadesmar swears "Merciful Domi"? And his name is the chapter title. :D Sound familiar to you? That's a big hint as to where he's from.

4 minutes ago, RShara said:

Welcome to the Shard! Okay, since you've read everything in the Cosmere, did you notice that the man in Shadesmar swears "Merciful Domi"? And his name is the chapter title. :D Sound familiar to you? That's a big hint as to where he's from.

I think my problem was reading SA and mistborn before reading the rest, I might have go back again now to pick up on all the cosmere stuff I will have missed the 1st and 2nd read :ph34r: