Enter a username

Nicrobursts in Era 3

12 posts in this topic

I believe that being a Nicroburst in Mistborn Era 3 would be better then any other type of metalborn. Why? Because of unsealed metalminds. The Nicroburst in question would be able to burn any unsealed nicrosil metalmind and gain whatever power was stored within it, allowing them to collect Allomantic and Feruchemal powers. And, once they got Feruchemal nicrosil, they could store, say, Allomantic steel for a time, compound it, and become much more powerful then before. The Bands of Mourning allowed you to become a Mistborn and Full Feruchemist at the same time, but only as long as you were tapping them. This, however, could do the same thing, but without that limitation. 

You've found this totally pointless secret! Yay!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

MindCanaries

Why did you settle on a Nicrosil Misting for your second Mistborn trilogy? Did you consider any other types?

Brandon Sanderson

I considered others, but in the end this was one aspect of the magic system I hadn't explored yet but which is very important for the future of the series. I wanted to start establishing it.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)

You could be in luck but I am not sure it works that way.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Last night I was talking about this with my brother, and realized, "why would it last?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, Enter a username said:

I believe that being a Nicroburst in Mistborn Era 3 would be better then any other type of metalborn. Why? Because of unsealed metalminds. The Nicroburst in question would be able to burn any unsealed nicrosil metalmind and gain whatever power was stored within it, allowing them to collect Allomantic and Feruchemal powers. And, once they got Feruchemal nicrosil, they could store, say, Allomantic steel for a time, compound it, and become much more powerful then before. The Bands of Mourning allowed you to become a Mistborn and Full Feruchemist at the same time, but only as long as you were tapping them. This, however, could do the same thing, but without that limitation. 

You've found this totally pointless secret! Yay!

Actually, they wouldn't even need unsealed nicrosilminds, just unkeyed nicrosil. They would be able to extract the power without needing F-Nicrosil, by burning the metal allomantically. That makes it SO much simpler to gather powers, just give the person a medallion with F-Aluminum and F-Nicrosil. That's only 2 powers.

But if you have an F-Aluminum/Nicrosil medallion, you don't even NEED to be a Nicroburst to collect powers. It would let one person store a metalborn power without Identity, then let someone else Tap that metalborn power out. Just, go find a Nicroburst, get their A-Nicrosil, and now you can compound the powers after collecting them (by making your own Keyed nicrosilminds and burning them) to get as powerful as you want. No need to be born a Nicroburst yourself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that is a good piont. A problem I realized with it is that it might just not last longer then you're burning the nicrosil. Compounded pewter, for example, doesn't give you pemenently increased strength, so why would compounded nicrosil give you permenently increased investiture?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enter a username said:

Yeah, that is a good piont. A problem I realized with it is that it might just not last longer then you're burning the nicrosil. Compounded pewter, for example, doesn't give you pemenently increased strength, so why would compounded nicrosil give you permenently increased investiture?

Well, because Brandon has specified in a WoB that Nicrosil storage works like a Coppermind; you're actually removing your metalborn power and keeping the entire thing inside the nicrosilmind. Very super useless if you don't have Nicrosil compounding, because best case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power, worst case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power AND your F-Nicrosil, thus permanently sealing them away inside Keyed nicrosil that you can't tap because you took away your F-Nicrosil. Well, not permanent, but you'd need to get an F-Nicrosil medallion to retrieve your own F-Nicrosil, which would be embarrassing if nothing else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well, because Brandon has specified in a WoB that Nicrosil storage works like a Coppermind; you're actually removing your metalborn power and keeping the entire thing inside the nicrosilmind. Very super useless if you don't have Nicrosil compounding, because best case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power, worst case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power AND your F-Nicrosil, thus permanently sealing them away inside Keyed nicrosil that you can't tap because you took away your F-Nicrosil. Well, not permanent, but you'd need to get an F-Nicrosil medallion to retrieve your own F-Nicrosil, which would be embarrassing if nothing else.

Where does it say that?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Where does it say that?

Quote

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

General Signed Books 2018 (Oct. 15, 2018)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... This might mean that my original theory is valid.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

Hmmm... This might mean that my original theory is valid.

Yep, collecting metalborn powers from willing individuals, kinda reminds me of, like, Breaths from Nalthis.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I was thinking that they could give a tiny part of their power, and the one who collected it could compound it repeatedly.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enter a username said:

Well, I was thinking that they could give a tiny part of their power, and the one who collected it could compound it repeatedly.

It could still be compounded by a nicrosil compounder, and then given back.

WAIT I KNOW.

Compound it to the point where it completely fills a nicrosilmind, then physically split the nicrosil and tap one half, and give the other half of the power back to the original person.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.