Nicrobursts in Era 3

Enter a username

I believe that being a Nicroburst in Mistborn Era 3 would be better then any other type of metalborn. Why? Because of unsealed metalminds. The Nicroburst in question would be able to burn any unsealed nicrosil metalmind and gain whatever power was stored within it, allowing them to collect Allomantic and Feruchemal powers. And, once they got Feruchemal nicrosil, they could store, say, Allomantic steel for a time, compound it, and become much more powerful then before. The Bands of Mourning allowed you to become a Mistborn and Full Feruchemist at the same time, but only as long as you were tapping them. This, however, could do the same thing, but without that limitation. 

You've found this totally pointless secret! Yay!

MindCanaries

Why did you settle on a Nicrosil Misting for your second Mistborn trilogy? Did you consider any other types?

Brandon Sanderson

I considered others, but in the end this was one aspect of the magic system I hadn't explored yet but which is very important for the future of the series. I wanted to start establishing it.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)

You could be in luck but I am not sure it works that way.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, Enter a username said:

I believe that being a Nicroburst in Mistborn Era 3 would be better then any other type of metalborn. Why? Because of unsealed metalminds. The Nicroburst in question would be able to burn any unsealed nicrosil metalmind and gain whatever power was stored within it, allowing them to collect Allomantic and Feruchemal powers. And, once they got Feruchemal nicrosil, they could store, say, Allomantic steel for a time, compound it, and become much more powerful then before. The Bands of Mourning allowed you to become a Mistborn and Full Feruchemist at the same time, but only as long as you were tapping them. This, however, could do the same thing, but without that limitation. 

You've found this totally pointless secret! Yay!

Actually, they wouldn't even need unsealed nicrosilminds, just unkeyed nicrosil. They would be able to extract the power without needing F-Nicrosil, by burning the metal allomantically. That makes it SO much simpler to gather powers, just give the person a medallion with F-Aluminum and F-Nicrosil. That's only 2 powers.

But if you have an F-Aluminum/Nicrosil medallion, you don't even NEED to be a Nicroburst to collect powers. It would let one person store a metalborn power without Identity, then let someone else Tap that metalborn power out. Just, go find a Nicroburst, get their A-Nicrosil, and now you can compound the powers after collecting them (by making your own Keyed nicrosilminds and burning them) to get as powerful as you want. No need to be born a Nicroburst yourself.

Yeah, that is a good piont. A problem I realized with it is that it might just not last longer then you're burning the nicrosil. Compounded pewter, for example, doesn't give you pemenently increased strength, so why would compounded nicrosil give you permenently increased investiture?

3 hours ago, Enter a username said:

Yeah, that is a good piont. A problem I realized with it is that it might just not last longer then you're burning the nicrosil. Compounded pewter, for example, doesn't give you pemenently increased strength, so why would compounded nicrosil give you permenently increased investiture?

Well, because Brandon has specified in a WoB that Nicrosil storage works like a Coppermind; you're actually removing your metalborn power and keeping the entire thing inside the nicrosilmind. Very super useless if you don't have Nicrosil compounding, because best case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power, worst case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power AND your F-Nicrosil, thus permanently sealing them away inside Keyed nicrosil that you can't tap because you took away your F-Nicrosil. Well, not permanent, but you'd need to get an F-Nicrosil medallion to retrieve your own F-Nicrosil, which would be embarrassing if nothing else.

20 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well, because Brandon has specified in a WoB that Nicrosil storage works like a Coppermind; you're actually removing your metalborn power and keeping the entire thing inside the nicrosilmind. Very super useless if you don't have Nicrosil compounding, because best case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power, worst case scenario, you can remove your allomantic power AND your F-Nicrosil, thus permanently sealing them away inside Keyed nicrosil that you can't tap because you took away your F-Nicrosil. Well, not permanent, but you'd need to get an F-Nicrosil medallion to retrieve your own F-Nicrosil, which would be embarrassing if nothing else.

Where does it say that?

2 hours ago, Enter a username said:

Well, I was thinking that they could give a tiny part of their power, and the one who collected it could compound it repeatedly.

It could still be compounded by a nicrosil compounder, and then given back.

WAIT I KNOW.

Compound it to the point where it completely fills a nicrosilmind, then physically split the nicrosil and tap one half, and give the other half of the power back to the original person.