Mistborn FPS (Demo available!)

Spinn

Known issues:

Push strength doesn't take weight into account at the degree it should. This goes under the umbrella feature of Crap Physics. :P@Artemos Has some pretty cool math in his project that I'll be glancing at.

The ground has too much friction, so no matter what weight you push at, things on the ground don't get properly pushed away if the angle is too horizontal.

Oh, sweet, another Mistborn game project! I'll definitely be following this so I can stay updated.

I'm sure this is kind of an obvious duh, but have you considered adapting the controls for a VR environment? That could help with the whole "Computer/console controls are severely limiting to a magical power that should take your whole body to control" bit that you mentioned. Obviously this would make things more complicated for you, so I'm not expecting you to just do that, but... It would enhance the experience in other ways too, namely depth perception and being able to actually look around with your head instead of a mouse/control stick. ...I dunno, I'm just a guy yearning for a VR mistborn experience...

11 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Oh, sweet, another Mistborn game project! I'll definitely be following this so I can stay updated.

I'm sure this is kind of an obvious duh, but have you considered adapting the controls for a VR environment? That could help with the whole "Computer/console controls are severely limiting to a magical power that should take your whole body to control" bit that you mentioned. Obviously this would make things more complicated for you, so I'm not expecting you to just do that, but... It would enhance the experience in other ways too, namely depth perception and being able to actually look around with your head instead of a mouse/control stick. ...I dunno, I'm just a guy yearning for a VR mistborn experience...

I have thought about it and it would be really cool! I don't have any kind of experience with VR development, though. I think the tech would also have to develop a bit more before a Mistborn game should be made into a VR game, because movement sickness is still an issue - and Mistborn is a lot about movement.

I haven't played Half-Life Alyx, but it seems to have a lot of movement, so maybe that tech has been coming along?

Anyway, when that tech is available, a VR Mistborn game would be absolutely orgasmic.

10 hours ago, Spinn said:

I have thought about it and it would be really cool! I don't have any kind of experience with VR development, though. I think the tech would also have to develop a bit more before a Mistborn game should be made into a VR game, because movement sickness is still an issue - and Mistborn is a lot about movement.

I haven't played Half-Life Alyx, but it seems to have a lot of movement, so maybe that tech has been coming along?

Anyway, when that tech is available, a VR Mistborn game would be absolutely orgasmic.

It does also depend on your own ability to withstand that sort of thing and get your "VR Legs" so to speak. I know I'm terribad at not being motion sick in a car, but I can play Windlands VR (which is basically spiderman simulator/lurcher misting vr) and not even get a little woozy.

I mean, if you want to try and make a VR mode for this, that's your call. I just think it's possible, for those who can handle the movement.

Side note, speaking of VR allomancy. Minecraft actually has a pretty good rendition of this via modding. Vivecraft allows you to play Java edition in VR, and there's an Allomancy mod for minecraft. The two mods do work together, and all the controls for Allomancy map correctly from the mouse and keyboard to the 2 Rift S controllers I have. So I've actually done Steel/Iron allomancy in VR, and MY GOD IT IS EXACTLY AS FUN AS YOU'D HOPE. Plus it has the bonus of being in Minecraft so you can build a map around it. Add Shaders, if you've got a super beefy computer, etc.

Looks fun, and I'd like to play the end result. Please keep in mind that most of my limited game knowledge comes from playing them, so I have little knowledge about the technical elements of gamemaking (although it'd be nice to learn). I'm a pretty casual gamer, but I like the ones I play.

Have you got much plot going? Who is your player character? I know you said you'd like to be a Mistborn, but there doesn't seem to be much in terms of emotional allomancy, which I feel that would be tricky to represent in any medium that isn't literature. If you stick to only playing as mistings, you could just limit the character choices to the physical metals. They could probably function as the traditional rpg character archetypes; e.g. pewter = melee/tank, steel = long range, iron = tank (where they draw coins towards their armour), tin = stealth. 

It could be cool to use iron/steelsight as a way to tell where enemies are (like how Dishonored lets you see through walls, or Last of Us has 'listening'), and bronze might work in a 'miss the mooks but lets you keep track of the boss/allomancer' way.

Maybe emotional allomancy could introduce a whole bunch of stat debuffs. Soothing/rioting a positive emotion might increase whichever stat is involved with whatever task the NPC is completing, or give a boost to health/healing under the guise of 'confidence in their chances to succeed', and a negative emotion might do the opposite. Not to mention the 'agreeability spectrum' that some games have (I'm not sure what the game dev term is, but I mean like faction reputation in Outer Worlds, or how much people like you in the Fable games).

Hopefully I'm not too much of a noob to help with this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, jamesbondsmith said:

Have you got much plot going? Who is your player character? I know you said you'd like to be a Mistborn, but there doesn't seem to be much in terms of emotional allomancy, which I feel that would be tricky to represent in any medium that isn't literature.

I currently have no plot at all - it's much too early for that. I'm just working out the physics, controls and actions you should be able make, so there aren't even NPCs yet.

Also, you're completely right about emotional allomancy. In a perfect version of the game, I would give every NPC stats for their emotions, working with the universal ones discovered by Paul Ekman (anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness and surprise) and maybe tweak that list with more useful ones, like switching out disgust with curiosity. But that would mean every line of dialog would need different versions, depending on their current emotion, and that would just not be viable. That is too much work.

I think it was Artemos, or someone in his game's thread, who brought up the Witcher's Axii Sign system, and that would be a lot more viable. I'm still not sure I will be implementing it at all, but I think a tweaked version of that would be the way to go.

Update:

Made some progress these past days! Check out the bold stuff up in the list.

I'm thinking I'll post a playable version soon, btw. I just want to get coin tracker and metals working first! It will be an allomantic playground more than an actual game, though.

Edited by Spinn

Update!

Steel / Iron powers are basically done, with only some tweaking left. You should basically be able to open the .rar, find the .exe file and run.

Note! This is a playground with tutorial features. Go play with your new powers!

Edited by Spinn

Last update for the week! (If mods dislike that I multi-post, just @ me!)
Since yesterday, I've had the game tested by friends - a mix of gamers / non-gamers and Mistborn-readers / non-readers.

From their feedback, I've made some tweaks with gravity, air control, and such. I also killed a few bugs, including the one that made the mist look funky!

But most of today's work went into the idea that you auto-pick up vials and coins by pulling them towards you, rather than using a separate button. So that's up in the demo now too. Do take a look!

mistborn1.PNG

Edited by Spinn

I have a few questions/suggestions:

1. Ultimately, is this going to be a platformer or a fighter?

2. If you're adding NPCs, you could add zinc/brass and bronze/copper, obviously the Emotional metals are very subtle but you could maybe open up a mini-hud when you tap them? Maybe each NPC has like 4 different states they can be in, and you can Push and Pull them to change what state they are in. It would probably depend on the type of game what they were, in a stealth game they would be stuff like suspicious and angry, whereas in a fighter they would probably get some debuff.

3. The game works without them, but I was wondering why you chose not to put in the blue lines (I only watched the first demo video and haven't read the full changelog, so that might be wrong)

*Edit* 4. If you're looking for fighting mechanics I highly recommend games like Superhot, which encourage weapon swapping but make you feel badass

*Also an Edit* Now that I've read the full thread, I wasn't really thinking about RPG elements at all...

This is honestly one of the coolest projects I've encountered on 17th Shard!

We will watch your career with great interest...

Edited by Hoidolasium
Just wanted to add more stuff, lol

7 hours ago, Hoidolasium said:

I have a few questions/suggestions:

1. Ultimately, is this going to be a platformer or a fighter?

2. If you're adding NPCs, you could add zinc/brass and bronze/copper, obviously the Emotional metals are very subtle but you could maybe open up a mini-hud when you tap them? Maybe each NPC has like 4 different states they can be in, and you can Push and Pull them to change what state they are in. It would probably depend on the type of game what they were, in a stealth game they would be stuff like suspicious and angry, whereas in a fighter they would probably get some debuff.

3. The game works without them, but I was wondering why you chose not to put in the blue lines (I only watched the first demo video and haven't read the full changelog, so that might be wrong)

*Edit* 4. If you're looking for fighting mechanics I highly recommend games like Superhot, which encourage weapon swapping but make you feel badass

*Also an Edit* Now that I've read the full thread, I wasn't really thinking about RPG elements at all...

This is honestly one of the coolest projects I've encountered on 17th Shard!

We will watch your career with great interest...

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

1. Not sure yet, tbh. I've never done first person melee fighting before, but it would be damnation cool. It's probably the one I'd be most psyched about.

2. Since I haven't decided where to go with the project, I haven't really thought about its focus. You're quite right that different goals would warrant different effects. Seems like I need to make up my mind about that.

3. I have made a lot of progress since the first video, and I've just recently made a basic system for blue lines. Maybe I should get a new video and demo version up soon, so you can try it out. I am, however, thinking about making blue outlines around items instead of lines to your chest. The lines don't look very good and can be a bit distracting. Maybe I'll take a poll when I've gathered a following :P

4. Thanks, I'll check it out!

EDIT: Updated the video to my current version! (though the demo isn't quite up to that point yet)

Edited by Spinn

8 hours ago, [email protected] said:

hello how about a question some way to help? monetarily? I love this series of books and I would like to see how far you are able to go

Oh gee. That's an aspect I hadn't even though about. Hm. Helping out monetarily is risky business, since Mistborn and allomancy are protected by copyright laws, and I don't want to cause Brandon Sanderson any trouble.

I think the best you could do for the project is to talk about it with other Mistborn fans! If the word would reach the right people, maybe it could become a professional game project, and THAT would be a dream come true!

EDIT: Updated original post and downloadable demo!

Edited by Spinn

A few things:

1. I haven't played the updated demo, so I don't know how it runs, but I've been sharing the demo with some of my friends, and while it's certainly as cool as I hoped it would be, the old one also runs at about 5 frames/sec on my computer. The ambiance is important to the game b/c the mists and stuff, but if you release a third demo, could you have an option for decreased lighting/graphics (I don't know how hard that is)

2. If you're looking for more feedback/more of a following, I would recommend posting a link to this thread or a new thread w/ the first post copied over in the "Sanderson Fan Works" forum.

3. I know next to nothing about programming, but I love game design, so I have plenty of ideas. It's your project and your time and resources though, so I'll keep them at a minimum unless you have a specific question.

4. How many of Sanderson's other works have you read? Honestly, if you haven't read the other Cosmere works, you really should. Mistborn is awesome, but definitely not the peak of his writing, in my opinion at least.

Edited by Hoidolasium

I can't wait until I have a functioning computer and can play this myself. As it is, I think it looks awesome! Any idea whether you'll do the less known metals, or Fereuchemy? Probably further down the road, but I feel like Fereuchemy would fit a video game like this really well

55 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

I can't wait until I have a functioning computer and can play this myself. As it is, I think it looks awesome! Any idea whether you'll do the less known metals, or Fereuchemy? Probably further down the road, but I feel like Fereuchemy would fit a video game like this really well

speaking of the other metallic arts, I would LOVE for a stealth/roguelite/fighting game of some sort with Hemalurgy as a big focus. Like the first boss fight is a Lurcher, you beat him up (via whatever starting combat methods you have), you spike his Iron allomancy out, and you can then use it to explore further past the boss room. etc, with other metals. Maybe you need Brass to convince an impossibly difficult enemy to open a gate for you to progress. something like that. Gradually becoming more powerful.

Edited by Halyo_Alex

Thank you all! I have no idea how far I will be able to take this project even with these constraints. I think I can pull off tin and pewter pretty easily. Brass, copper, zinc and bronze are a bit iffy right now, but probably manageable if I should find someone who can make animated NPC models. The less common metals vary in difficulty - for example, I wouldn't even know how to start with atium. Auto-dodge, projecting a prediction of NPC AI... we're getting into some pretty advanced stuff for a game student. ;)

Feruchemy and Hemalurgy would be cool projects and one should always dream of making cool stuff! I probably won't be the person to make them, but I'd LOVE to see them made.

On 02/07/2020 at 0:10 AM, Hoidolasium said:

A few things:

1. I haven't played the updated demo, so I don't know how it runs, but I've been sharing the demo with some of my friends, and while it's certainly as cool as I hoped it would be, the old one also runs at about 5 frames/sec on my computer. The ambiance is important to the game b/c the mists and stuff, but if you release a third demo, could you have an option for decreased lighting/graphics (I don't know how hard that is)

2. If you're looking for more feedback/more of a following, I would recommend posting a link to this thread or a new thread w/ the first post copied over in the "Sanderson Fan Works" forum.

3. I know next to nothing about programming, but I love game design, so I have plenty of ideas. It's your project and your time and resources though, so I'll keep them at a minimum unless you have a specific question.

4. How many of Sanderson's other works have you read? Honestly, if you haven't read the other Cosmere works, you really should. Mistborn is awesome, but definitely not the peak of his writing, in my opinion at least.

1. I think I could do that. I'll just post one without the mist.

2. Oh, thanks for the tip!

3. No worries.

4. So I've understood. I'm working my way there, actually. After Era 2, I'll probably get into Stormlight Archive. I'm a bit of a lazy reader, but I'll try to get it going during the summer.

Edited by Spinn

This really is an excellent idea and well executed so far too, so kudos to you! If I could give this post more than one upvote I would. ;) 

I think I shall give the demo itself a try as soon as I get a chance, probably tomorrow. I would be curious, however, do you intend to set the game permanently in Era 1 or possibly incorporate features from Era 2 as well?

Edited by Elend Venture

On 6/23/2020 at 3:37 AM, Spinn said:

But that would mean every line of dialog would need different versions, depending on their current emotion, and that would just not be viable. That is too much work.

I'd be down to help write dialogue if you ever do decide to do this. Take a line and tweak it, add or subtract stuff. Of course, you may not want anyone else touching your project, which is 100% understandable and valid.

On 6/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, Spinn said:

I am, however, thinking about making blue outlines around items instead of lines to your chest. The lines don't look very good and can be a bit distracting.

That might be a good idea; in the demo video it was hard for me to see where the lines were, and an outline could help with that. Maybe make it a little thicker than the current lines if you do?

On 7/1/2020 at 2:39 AM, Spinn said:

Oh gee. That's an aspect I hadn't even though about. Hm. Helping out monetarily is risky business, since Mistborn and allomancy are protected by copyright laws, and I don't want to cause Brandon Sanderson any trouble.

I think the best you could do for the project is to talk about it with other Mistborn fans! If the word would reach the right people, maybe it could become a professional game project, and THAT would be a dream come true!

You could try contacting Brandon on Reddit, see what he thinks.

This project looks really cool, I'll definitely be following it and spreading the word! :D

Alright, update time!

So I was thinking about Pewter... and how pewter should affect the player, specifically their health. And I was reminded of a strong scene from the books, where a character was burning pewter just to stay alive while fighting for their life, and of how cool that scene was.

Incidentally, this is very much translatable into gaming.

So I implemented that.

I pulled down the regeneration to give the player some time to sweat, created another health bar that shows up while burning pewter that acts as a last-push kind of deal. And if you turn off Pewter, or run out while you're on that last push, you die. (Check out the video at the top)

Of course, you get other things with pewter too. You're getting faster (faster), harder (harder), SCOOTER! ... Meaning your running speed, jump height, constitution and regeneration multiplies.

((Note: the actual chance of you getting Scooter remains unchanged, and your success should not be attributed to this game in the event that you DO acquire said rave band))

Other things in this update are:

• Updated tutorial signs
  • Improved Coin Jump (this is amazing together with pewter)

Right! Below are some answers for y'all's comments!

Spoiler

On 7/3/2020 at 5:04 AM, Jofwu said:

Looks really cool. :)

My laptop reeeealy struggled to run the demo there. Very poor frame rate.

@Jofwu Thank you. I uploaded the current version with and without mists. Check if that's the issue and come back to me! Also @Hoidolasium with the same problem.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, Elend Venture said:

This really is an excellent idea and well executed so far too, so kudos to you! If I could give this post more than one upvote I would. ;) 

I think I shall give the demo itself a try as soon as I get a chance, probably tomorrow. I would be curious, however, do you intend to set the game permanently in Era 1 or possibly incorporate features from Era 2 as well?

@Elend Venture I will probably only have Era 1 in this project. Like I said above, I don't know if I can pull off even that much.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:53 AM, AonEne said:

I'd be down to help write dialogue if you ever do decide to do this. Take a line and tweak it, add or subtract stuff. Of course, you may not want anyone else touching your project, which is 100% understandable and valid.

@AonEne I was thinking more along the lines of voice acting, but maybe text would take down the amount of work a bit. I'll shall have a think about it!

That might be a good idea; in the demo video it was hard for me to see where the lines were, and an outline could help with that. Maybe make it a little thicker than the current lines if you do?

Definitely.

You could try contacting Brandon on Reddit, see what he thinks.

This project looks really cool, I'll definitely be following it and spreading the word! :D

Oooh, I saw that he's occasionally on Reddit. When I get a bit further on the project, I'll try tagging him. And thank you so much.

Edited by Spinn

This is a really cool project! I'm curious, are you planning to put this on itch.io or gamejolt or any other such game sharing website? Or just keep it as a download on here? Both are cool, mostly just wondering!