Dead Godspren?

Emerald_Mage

Question

So in my reread of the SA, I noticed how much the Stormfather didn't want to bond to anybody. He definitely thought that breaking the oaths would kill him.

Something else I remember reading is that there was only one bondsmith when the recreance happened.

So my question is, do we know what happened to that spren? Was it killed with most of the other spren, or did it somehow survive? Did the bondsmith at the time hold to the oaths when nobody around them would?

8 answers to this question

It was the Stormfather that was bonded when the Recreance happened, his Bondsmith broke his oaths but Stormfather was strong enough to survive(unlike many others)

The Sibling was already “slumbering” at that point and the Nightwatcher was probably sittin in The Valley

26 minutes ago, Frustration said:

and only Tanavast'a cognitive shadow meeting with him saved him.

Tanavast was alive to see the Recreance so i dont think he had merged with Stormfather yet

Wasn't it the Sibling who was Bonded during the False Desolation and following that the Recreance

"One Bondsmith was in constant accompaniment of Urithiru" — should refer to the Sibling, as they maintain vital functions and defenses of the tower.

They were the ones we hear about in the gem archives 

1 hour ago, R J said:

"One Bondsmith was in constant accompaniment of Urithiru" — should refer to the Sibling, as they maintain vital functions and defenses of the tower.

They were the ones we hear about in the gem archives 

the Sibling had already withdrawn from the tower before the recreance

“My research into the cognitive reflections of spren at the tower has been deeply illustrative. Some thought that the Sibling had withdrawn from men by intent—but I find counter to that theory.”    —From drawer 1-1, first zircon

Edited by Eternal Khol

2 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

It was the Stormfather that was bonded when the Recreance happened, his Bondsmith broke his oaths but Stormfather was strong enough to survive(unlike many others)

We don't actually know which of the three were bonded at the time of the Recreance. It probably was not the Sibling, because the Sibling was already withdrawing by then, but there's no confirmation on whether it was the Stormfather or the Nightwatcher.

I do think it was the Stormfather, and that Tanavast sacrificed himself (since he was dying anyway) in order for his Cognitive Shadow to merge with the Stormfather and keep him from dying.

2 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

the Sibling had already withdrawn from the tower before the recreance

“My research into the cognitive reflections of spren at the tower has been deeply illustrative. Some thought that the Sibling had withdrawn from men by intent—but I find counter to that theory.”    —From drawer 1-1, first zircon

Okay so we can confirm that there was only one Bondsmith at the time:

This generation has had only one Bondsmith and some blame the divisions among us upon this fact. The true problem is far deeper. I believe that Honor himself is changing.

Ch 67

If it is The Stormfather like you're saying then that would mean that either

A) the Sibling does not need to be Bonded in order to maintain Urithiru or

B ) that might have been the reason why the Sibling was withdrawing (which I doubt, as it's so... obvious. Though it does sound like there has never been only one Bondsmith before)

Also this:

Something is happening to the Sibling. I agree this is true, but the division among the Knights Radiant is not to blame. Our perceived worthiness is a separate issue.

Ch 70

makes it sound more like an ongoing process

And these provide the timing (during the False Desolation):

Something must be done about the remnants of Odium's forces. The parsh, as they are now called, continue their war with zeal, even without their masters from Damnation.

A coalition has been formed among scholar Radiants. Our goal is to deny the enemy their supply of Voidlight; this will prevent their continuing transformations, and give us an edge in combat.

Our revelation is fueled by the theory that the Unmade can perhaps be captured like ordinary spren. It would require a special prison. And Melishi.

Ba-Ado-Mishram has somehow Connected with the parsh people, as Odium once did. She provides Voidlight and facilitates forms of power. Our strike team is going to imprison her.

We are uncertain the effects this will have on the parsh. At the very least, it should deny them forms of power. Melishi is confident, but Naze-daughter-Kuzodo warns of unintended side effects.

Stormfather confirms that the Recreance happened soon after the end of the False Desolation when the Radiants discovered the cause of Ashyn's destruction and the real Voidbringers.

He also says "no, you've hurt them enough" regarding the third Bondsmith spren

Do we have any confirmation that it was The Stormfather who was Bonded during that time? Because it seems that the odds are stacked against him.

If there is then I don't know what's happening

Edited by R J

Just curious, how do we know the Bondsmith broke his oaths? Did Brandon say? I just figured that, since we now know the recreance didn't happen all at once, that there were probably some radiants who kept their oaths but stopped using their surges. So they just went into hiding and died with their oaths unbroken. At least, that's how I figured the Stormfather survived.

1 hour ago, SteelShaper said:

Just curious, how do we know the Bondsmith broke his oaths? Did Brandon say? I just figured that, since we now know the recreance didn't happen all at once, that there were probably some radiants who kept their oaths but stopped using their surges. So they just went into hiding and died with their oaths unbroken. At least, that's how I figured the Stormfather survived.

That is possible although most sharders I have met think otherwise.  This WoB is also relevant.

Jozomby

At the time of the Recreance, were there any Bondsmiths?

Brandon Sanderson

This is a plot point. You are supposed to be asking that question.

Jozomby

I was mostly trying to find out if the Sibling was bonded, and if the break in the bond is what caused the Sibling to go into slumber

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say this is a RAFO with the promise that I intend to answer the question relatively quickly.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)