I am disappointed in Brandon's silence

I commend everyone's efforts to be respectful, but things are getting tense again - staff are working on a response, but we are putting in another temporary lock so things don't escalate in the mean time.  Please take a break and a few deep breaths and we will get this open again soon.  Thank-you for your patience.  

Guys.

Can we make this easier for everyone involved and stick to the original point of the thread - Brandon's silence so far and  how people feel about it? Discussing the actual details of what's going on lately, the actions of various police departments and individuals, the actions against the various police departments and individuals, what the government is or isn't doing, the historical context behind all of this, the protests - none of this belongs in this thread (or, I would argue, in this forum at all; these subjects turn into fires faster than we can put them out).

We don't want to lock this thread, because there are valid things that can be said and have been said, but if you can't keep your posts civil, constructive, and on topic, that'll be the only thing we can do. And on that note, let's also keep humor and sarcasm out of our replies because they are very easy to misinterpret, and that's the last thing we need.

EDIT: Quick follow-up, we'll keep this locked for a little bit to give everyone a chance to cool down and take a breather. I imagine we'll unlock this within the hour.

Well I'd like to thank the mods for being understanding, and for their work, and I have also decided that it would be best if I just put everything here and leave it at that as ultimately I have been involved in most of the controversy. So I feel like I know Brandon, I've watched his live streams and his lessons, I can't help but see myself in him so I almost feel I know what he would say however I find it unnecessary for him to say it. First off what can Brandon say that hasn't already been said? And even if he did say something it wouldn't change anything. Second it doesn't make much difference to me whether he says anything or not, as I will still read his books and pre-order RoW. I also find it unnecessary for people who work in entertainment to tell me their political views, if I want political views I would look to people who actually work in it. I respect the opinions other have shared, but I personally don't see the point.

Edited by Frustration

I'd like to add my voice to this conversation, not as a moderator but as a fan of Brandon's books who has (like the rest of you) supported him over the years. I think that right now there are people in the United States that are crying out for justice and telling their fellow citizens that their voices are being silenced and that they need allies. I personally think that those with a platform have a duty to give voice to the voiceless, especially in these historically unsettled times. I think authors that write books with themes about unity, protecting others, and listening to the ignored should be particularly receptive to the pleas we are hearing right now. And I think there are times that subtext found in all Brandon's books about oppression and what is right and wrong needs to be made text, and that this is one of those times. And Brandon has remained silent, when I'd expect his characters that I find heroic to do just the opposite. In my opinion, the whole point is that he's not obligated to say anything. This is a moment where people make a choice whether they want to say something or whether for whatever reason they choose to stay silent while the world is watching. I can't know the reasons he's chosen not to say anything. However, it does mean that he made a choice to not publicly stand with people that I think are deserving of everyone's support, and it disappoints me substantially.

I will remember those who have been forgotten, and I will listen to those who have been ignored. 

They’re very simple concepts, but people get a lot of flak for doing them. And they shouldn’t. Because more people need to listen in this world. 

How sure are we Brandon doesn't do his own tweets?

Because he tweeted about an hour ago, in the first person, to promote more stuff.

If you feel the way I do, I encourage you to join in asking him on Twitter. 

Edited by NattyBo

I mean, I don’t think it’s that uncommon for people who run social media accounts of celebs to use ‘I’, especially if it’s not a personal thing and is instead just a ‘hey Dark One stuff’. 

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I mean, I don’t think it’s that uncommon for people who run social media accounts of celebs to use ‘I’, especially if it’s not a personal thing and is instead just a ‘hey Dark One stuff’. 

I assume he assistants that do his tweets, too, but I dont know for sure, and some here asserted it as fact, so I just wondered.

Anyone know when the next chance for fans to interact with Brandon in a live setting (virtual or IRL)?

Edited by NattyBo

I know for a fact that one of his assistants, Adam, handles most of his social media presence. 

I don't think another stream has been officially scheduled, but if his schedule holds it should be another week or two.

1 minute ago, Argent said:

I know for a fact that one of his assistants, Adam, handles most of his social media presence. 

I don't think another stream has been officially scheduled, but if his schedule holds it should be another week or two.

Tried to rep you, but I'm all out for the day. Thanks!

Just tossing in two cents here -- I am of the mind that guilting people into commenting is not the right way to go about things. People ought to say something not because they have been pressured into it, but because it's the right thing to do.

Not trying to lay a blanket statement on everyone's intentions -- most of the discourse I've seen has been relatively civil and well-meaning, by which I'm impressed. But I have seen many statements that blur that line.

I do hope Brandon says something, too, but I don't think he should be maligned for not doing so -- at the best of times, even glancing Twitter's way can make my blood boil. If he feels anywhere near the same as I do, I don't blame him for only tossing off a few promo Tweets here and there. Perhaps we'll get a blog post -- again, I hope so -- but I understand completely if he doesn't want to engage on certain platforms and wants to approach a statement with extreme caution.

Edited by Slowswift
Also, thanks, mods, for keeping an eye out. 'Preciate ya.

Not with my mod hat on for this one. I'm personally much more bothered with other fans' reaction to it than Brandon's silence itself. I'm with Windrunner myself, I am personally disappointed that he's not saying anything, but more than that, I'm frustrated in the response that expressing that disappointment or asking Brandon what he thinks is treated as being bad or encroaching or inappropriate. It isn't. Asking isn't in any way saying that he's a bad person. Brandon can refuse to respond, he absolutely has that right, but people also have the right to ask.

4 minutes ago, Greywatch said:

Not with my mod hat on for this one. I'm personally much more bothered with other fans' reaction to it than Brandon's silence itself. I'm with Windrunner myself, I am personally disappointed that he's not saying anything, but more than that, I'm frustrated in the response that expressing that disappointment or asking Brandon what he thinks is treated as being bad or encroaching or inappropriate. It isn't. Asking isn't in any way saying that he's a bad person. Brandon can refuse to respond, he absolutely has that right, but people also have the right to ask.

I know I said I was going to stay out of this but it seems we have a misunderstanding. We aren't saying that it's wrong to ask just to expect a response and the way that some people phrase the question is just oozing with condescension. I have no problem with people asking a question but ripping Brandon apart or calling him out for not responding is what I at least find unacceptable.

Just now, Frustration said:

I know I said I was going to stay out of this but it seems we have a misunderstanding. We aren't saying that it's wrong to ask just to expect a response and the way that some people phrase the question is just oozing with condescension. I have no problem with people asking a question but ripping Brandon apart or calling him out for not responding is what I at least find unacceptable.

I think in the same way that people say that it's wrong to express disappointment in any way that could make an assumption about what he really believes, people saying that are making assumptions about the beliefs and desires of the people who are asking. I personally don't find it unacceptable to ask - and it's frustrating to see it being labeled as "calling him out" or "ripping Brandon apart". That's the exact kind of mischaracterization we're all trying to avoid here, isn't it?

1 minute ago, Greywatch said:

I think in the same way that people say that it's wrong to express disappointment in any way that could make an assumption about what he really believes, people saying that are making assumptions about the beliefs and desires of the people who are asking. I personally don't find it unacceptable to ask - and it's frustrating to see it being labeled as "calling him out" or "ripping Brandon apart". That's the exact kind of mischaracterization we're all trying to avoid here, isn't it?

I would say that being disappointment because Brandon hasn't answered a question we don't even know has been posed to him as 'calling him out' yes. and NattyBo has provided examples of the questions he want's answered and only two of them have in my opinion been properly respectful, the second and fourth ones to be precise. The last one is quite literally attacking him.

I would say that being disappointment because Brandon hasn't answered a question we don't even know has been posed to him as 'calling him out' yes. and NattyBo has provided examples of the questions he want's answered and only two of them have in my opinion been properly respectful, the second and fourth ones to be precise. The last one is quite literally attacking him.

I see; I'm just talking about this conversation here in this thread. Then according to your definition, I also don't think "calling someone out" is a bad thing, and is something I don't find inappropriate. So I suppose that can be added to my bucket of frustration. Like I said above, Brandon is free to not say anything, but I don't think the people asking are doing anything wrong.

(Takes of Staff Hat and puts on Person Hat)

I don't disagree with you Slowswift.  I think people should be not be emotionally manipulated into doing or saying things they would not otherwise do.   I also don't disagree with you Frustration that people immediately assuming the worst in Brandon is not necessarily warranted.  

At the same time, personally I do not think that is what is happening here or on twitter. 

"Guilting" is the act of intentionally trying to make another person feel shame or guilt.  While I think that expressing potential disappointment in advance of an action or inaction could be seen as "guilting" in some scenarios, I would usually expect to see that in a personal relationship between friends or family where both are speaking as equals, or where the person doing the guilting is in a position of power.  Power dynamics are important, because that's what informs a person's capacity to make or threaten someone with a certain feeling.

I see people actually expecting the best of Brandon, and still hoping he will do what they do as the right thing, but feeling growing disappointment as he does not.  I think everyone would be happy to feel an emotional reversal if Brandon proves detractors wrong and does say something.  

In this situation, Brandon has all the power.  He does not need to listen or to comply with fan requests.  He makes decisions that will please some fans and anger others on the daily.  It's part and parcel for a figure in his line of work and in his position.  He is not obligated to do anything he does not want to do.  Other than our collective power as purchasers of his product (which I don't see being leveraged in this case), or our social pressure to highlight his actions or inactions on forums or social media platforms of our choosing, we really don't have much leverage in this relationship.  Even if we are using that leverage, I don't think it is a bad thing to hold public figures to account.  

What I see happening in this case, is that people are expressing their very real feelings.  Disappointment, hurt, or anger as feelings are not bad - they are natural responses to the world around us.  While I think we can ascribe value judgments to actions based on emotions, I do not think we can say an emotional reaction, or the expression of it, in and of itself is wrong.  

Can emotions be expressed in intentionally manipulative ways?  Yes.  Is that what I see happening here?  No.

I see Brandon having a choice.  To post or not to post.  It's a choice I've also been struggling with as I deal with my own status as an ally my own inherent racism in all of this.  From what I know of Brandon, he's probably weighing his options.  Is he qualified to speak on this?  Is posting about this really going to make much of a difference?  Is this worth breaking his general policy of not commenting on current events?  What can he say that hasn't been said by others?  Would posting now just to allay public concerns be self serving on his part?  Would it be better just to quietly donate instead?

Obviously I don't know what Brandon is really thinking - but these are my thoughts.  

The thing is, whatever Brandon decides, he's going to weigh his options.  People have voiced their potential disappointment and frustration to him.  If he chooses not to say anything, then he is making an informed decision to disappoint, frustrate, and arguably hurt some people who look up to him - and he has to satisfy himself that whatever reasons he has for staying quiet are worth that cost.  

At the end of the day, people are entitled to judge Brandon and each other for actions and inactions.  It's fair for people to conclude that, if Brandon doesn't say anything his silence is speaking for itself.  People in power who let things happen without doing their part to stop it are, in my opinion, somewhat culpable (though I concede the extent to which they are may be debatable on a case by case basis).  

Do I think Brandon is evil if he doesn't post?  No, and I don't think other people feel that way either.  Do I think Brandon's silence is harmful and he should be judged accordingly.  Yes - because if he stays silent, he is doing so fully informed and should be prepared to accept those judgments as a consequence.  

This is really rambly - so I'll try to wrap it up (still trying to thing through these things myself).  Basically what I'm saying is I'd like to see people be more open to hearing impassioned calls for change, whether through greater representation in novels, or by calling on personal heroes to take a stand for something they view as right, and I don't think people in those emotional states should be held to a standard of perfection just to have their voices heard.  Yes one can critique delivery - but not if by doing so you are ignoring the message (which I frequently see happening).  Brandon deserves a lot of the admiration he receives, but I don't think he needs us to defend him so vigilantly when people are calling him out for this or that.  He'll be fine either way - but someone who is at their breaking point and just wants to know their hero cares about them, or that they have a place in these wonderful fantasy worlds, might not be.  

TL;DR - In my opinion, people are rightfully expressing their emotional responses to Brandon's silence on this issue, and he has to accept that as a consequence of his inaction.  Since he is in a position of relative power and privilege, I don't think it's fair to call people's expressions a form of force or coercion, or if that's what they are, then I think its an acceptable form of the same.  Brandon remains free to do what he wants, and some forms of social pressure are acceptable (to put it in a Breezian way).    

I hope that somewhat made sense, and is useful to this discussion.  

Just now, Greywatch said:

I see; I'm just talking about this conversation here in this thread. Then according to your definition, I also don't think "calling someone out" is a bad thing, and is something I don't find inappropriate. So I suppose that can be added to my bucket of frustration. Like I said above, Brandon is free to not say anything, but I don't think the people asking are doing anything wrong.

I'm not saying it should be taken down but I feel that it's acting a bit entitled, If I made a post of 'I'm disappointed Brandon hasn't confirmed my theory'  no one would bat an eye at someone saying that it's a bit unrealistic to expect Brandon to answer. Perhaps Brandon not confirming lesser Spren theory would fit better as he is more likely to know about it. (Yes I'm aware that it isn't on the same level as people's lives but It's also at least what he normally does and applies to his work) I have no problem with people asking him questions or even wanting answers, just ask them respectfully give him time to answer and keep the emotions in if you revive a RAFO.

5 minutes ago, Comatose said:

TL;DR - In my opinion, people are rightfully expressing their emotional responses to Brandon's silence on this issue, and he has to accept that as a consequence of his inaction.  Since he is in a position of relative power and privilege, I don't think it's fair to call people's expressions a form of force or coercion, or if that's what they are, then I think its an acceptable form of the same.  Brandon remains free to do what he wants, and some forms of social pressure are acceptable (to put it in a Breezian way).    

I hope that somewhat made sense, and is useful to this discussion.  

I don't quite know how to put my thoughts unto a page, so I'm just going to say I don't think Brandon would be responsible for anything if he didn't reply, you mention people in power being responsible for their inaction's but the thing is Brandon has no power in this situation, nothing he says will change anything. I honestly don't think he should respond but that's mainly how I would react in his situation because if my dreams of standing where Brandon is ever come to fruition, I am going to try my best to keep my opinions on politics out of my public appearances, for many of the same reasons Brandon refuses to speak on the Beyond, it wouldn't change anything and it's not our place.

(Again my opinion feel free to ignore all of this:D)

I'm not saying it should be taken down but I feel that it's acting a bit entitled, If I made a post of 'I'm disappointed Brandon hasn't confirmed my theory'  no one would bat an eye at someone saying that it's a bit unrealistic to expect Brandon to answer. Perhaps Brandon not confirming lesser Spren theory would fit better as he is more likely to know about it. (Yes I'm aware that it isn't on the same level as people's lives but It's also at least what he normally does and applies to his work) I have no problem with people asking him questions or even wanting answers, just ask them respectfully give him time to answer and keep the emotions in if you receive a RAFO.

Then there's no misunderstanding, just a disagreement, and my first post goes without caveat. What I see happening is, say, keeping it on the level of someone asking Brandon to confirm a theory, and then a bunch of other fans jump in commenting on how rude and inappropriate and entitled it is to ask Brandon that. In a fandom where fans ask Brandon theory questions all the time and get RAFOs, you are right that it's different.

1 minute ago, Greywatch said:

Then there's no misunderstanding, just a disagreement, and my first post goes without caveat. What I see happening is, say, keeping it on the level of someone asking Brandon to confirm a theory, and then a bunch of other fans jump in commenting on how rude and inappropriate and entitled it is to ask Brandon that. In a fandom where fans ask Brandon theory questions all the time and get RAFOs, you are right that it's different.

It's more the being disappointed in Brandon not answering a question we don't know he has received.

It's more the being disappointed in Brandon not answering a question we don't know he has received.

I think any guess, no matter how positive or negative, about what Brandon is thinking, is an assumption. I feel prettyyyyy confident that Brandon is aware of the situation, and I guess I'm a bit incredulous that "he doesn't know" would be why he hasn't said anything. And no matter what assumptions are going on, I don't think it's wrong to be disappointed, or to say, I'm disappointed. I understand the urge to defend him, but he doesn't need defending, and no matter what other people can think of to say, "this could be the reason!", it's still not from him.

11 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I don't quite know how to put my thoughts unto a page, so I'm just going to say I don't think Brandon would be responsible for anything if he didn't reply, you mention people in power being responsible for their inaction's but the thing is Brandon has no power in this situation, nothing he says will change anything. I honestly don't think he should respond but that's mainly how I would react in his situation because if my dreams of standing where Brandon is ever come to fruition, I am going to try my best to keep my opinions on politics out of my public appearances, for many of the same reasons Brandon refuses to speak on the Beyond, it wouldn't change anything and it's not our place.

(Again my opinion feel free to ignore all of this:D)

Thanks for putting your point out there - I agree talking through this is difficult.  I see this as a point of differing opinions between us.  In my view, Brandon has a lot of power.  Maybe it's not the political power to directly effect change, but he does have the power to influence hearts and minds.  I know his books and words have influenced me a lot.  When it comes to social issues public discourse and opinion is very important, and with Brandon's platform I do think he has significant power.  He also has social power in that a lot of people look up and respect him, and listen when he speaks.  It's true he possibly never asked for that, but he has enjoyed the benefits of it.  Part of why I think people respect and listen to him is because he's cautious about what he says and how he says things, actually, but that tendency may be hurting him in this instance.  

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I hear you - it may not be fair to expect Brandon to be clairvoyant - but again in my opinion I don't feel like that is the case.  The question has been put out there on multiple platforms - indirectly and directly to him.  If he does end up saying something, personally I would be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe it took him a while to see it, and maybe his was taking the time to craft a response he could stand behind.  But if his social media and news sources are anything like mine, I don't think he can claim ignorance.  

If I am reading you correctly, it seems like you are feeling that people's expectations of Brandon unfairly pressure or constrain him, or are perhaps unrealistic or not open to certain possibilities.  I think that's a fair opinion to have.

Generally speaking (not responding to anyone's particular comment), I've also been thinking a lot about defensiveness this last week.  I think a for a lot of people, myself included, defensiveness is often rooted in a place of self preservation.  In this case, I think conflict sometimes arises as follows:

(1) Someone critiques Brandon.  (2) Person reading critique likes Brandon.  (3) Critique is saying something Brandon did or did not do is bad.  (4) Person reading critique assumes that the critic is claiming Brandon himself is bad.  (5) Person feels unconscious or conscious guilt for liking Brandon if he is bad.  (6) Person rejects critique to avoid negative feelings.  (7) Person defends Brandon in order to defend themselves.  

To me, this progression is natural, but it's operating on a lot of potentially mistaken assumptions.  (1) Identifying a problematic behavior does not equate with a judgement of someone's character as a whole.  (2) Opinions can evolve - we are free to adjust our opinions as we receive new information, and having a bad but uninformed opinion is okay if you make efforts to become informed and allow yourself to change when you do.  (3) It's okay to live in that confusing space of respecting and appreciating someone without agreeing with or condoning their behavior.  

I've never seen Brandon call for people to defend him - in fact he usually seems to invite critique, which is why I do wonder if some of the heated push back against calls for greater inclusion, or in the present case, for him to speak out against racial injustice, are personally motivated rather than out of a concern for Brandon.  

Lots of complicated emotions to examine and work through - I appreciate this space to do that, and hope others do as well.  

Thanks to both of you @Comatose and @Greywatch I respectfully disagree but I know that I won't change your minds so I see no point in fighting to stalemate. I salute you for your participation in public discourse.

9 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I've never seen Brandon call for people to defend him - in fact he usually seems to invite critique, which is why I do wonder if some of the heated push back against calls for greater inclusion, or in the present case, for him to speak out against racial injustice, are personally motivated rather than out of a concern for Brandon. 

I know you aren't trying to attack anyone here, or at least I hope not but could you perhaps make that a little more clear? I know know how hard it is to communicate exactly through writing.:D

16 minutes ago, Comatose said:

Lots of complicated emotions to examine and work through - I appreciate this space to do that, and hope others do as well.  

I did, and hope we can do it again some time, hopefully over a less real topic:D

I don't really post anything (I enjoy reading other people's thoughts more) and I'm not well-spoken but I'm also really, really disappointed by Brandon's silence. Brandon Sanderson is the ONLY author I will buy a hardcover book for on the release date. He's also the only author I've ever attended multiple signings for. As a person of color and as an Asian-American, I feel seen when I read his books (does that even make any sense?). I like that his characters are people with problems. I like that they overcome their struggles and hardships to help those who can't or struggle to help themselves. 

I feel like Brandon has a platform in which he can let others hear his voice. I know sometimes people feel like saying something won't change anything but I know how important it is to feel seen. The reason I enjoy his books is also one of the reasons I feel even more disappointed by his silence. 

I can understand where others are coming from, in that they don't want to put unnecessary pressure on Brandon. I even find myself thinking of reasons as to why Brandon hasn't posted anything. But the fact that he's choosing not to publicly support the BLM movement and Black Americans is really disappointing to me. I know not everyone feels this way... but I find myself sad that an author I look up to is choosing silence as his answer.