I am disappointed in Brandon's silence

Just now, Frustration said:

and politics have been brought in. great.

I think politics may, just may, have been here before that post. :P 

Oof wow lol hidden already. Good job, that was a fast one. 

Apologies if the response is a little slow sometimes guys. We like to discuss sensitive issues before taking action, which requires some discussion. And lots of the staff are asleep or busy with their day jobs at the moment. :)

The staff, at large, doesn't feel like Edonidd was genuinely comparing nuts to human lives, but that they were making an attempt at a ridiculous comparison to make their point without touching sensitive subjects - a comparison we also find pretty tasteless. If we thought the comment was made with malice in mind, we would've hidden it and taken action, but as it is we believe it was just a poorly phrased comment. However given the potential for it to be taken badly it has now been hidden.

Racism is not accepted on the Shard.  Please continue to report if something makes you feel uncomfortable and be patient with us as we sort this out.

If the staff feels that someone crossed a line, we will contact them privately to have a discussion. That's not something that will happen in a public forum.

I can't speak for the entire staff on this, so let me take off my moderator cap for a moment. I'm also disappointed Brandon hasn't said anything on the matter yet. I do hope that he will, and I can only speculate why he hasn't. These are all totally valid opinions to have. I think the users here who are defending Brandon simply know what he stands for and believe there's a good reason he hasn't said anything yet. Some users think there's not a good reason. We can disagree about all this and still assume the best in one another.

• Jofwu unlocked this topic
3 minutes ago, Jofwu said:

Apologies if the response is a little slow sometimes guys. We like to discuss sensitive issues before taking action, which requires some discussion. And lots of the staff are asleep or busy with their day jobs at the moment. :)

The staff, at large, doesn't feel like Edonidd was genuinely comparing nuts to human lives, but that they were making an attempt at a ridiculous comparison to make their point without touching sensitive subjects - a comparison we also find pretty tasteless. If we thought the comment was made with malice in mind, we would've hidden it and taken action, but as it is we believe it was just a poorly phrased comment. However given the potential for it to be taken badly it has now been hidden.

Racism is not accepted on the Shard.  Please continue to report if something makes you feel uncomfortable and be patient with us as we sort this out.

If the staff feels that someone crossed a line, we will contact them privately to have a discussion. That's not something that will happen in a public forum.

I can't speak for the entire staff on this, so let me take off my moderator cap for a moment. I'm also disappointed Brandon hasn't said anything on the matter yet. I do hope that he will, and I can only speculate why he hasn't. These are all totally valid opinions to have. I think the users here who are defending Brandon simply know what he stands for and believe there's a good reason he hasn't said anything yet. Some users think there's not a good reason. We can disagree about all this and still assume the best in one another.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your thought process. 

Ijust wanted to say something that was a little bit missed here. 

It's okay that a person would think that people from all colors are equal and still will be against the BLM movment because of the violent protest, (Not against their vision but against their methods) andthis person should be able to stay silent without being accused as racist.

(Sorry if this post hurt anybody I just feel this an important point that we often miss)

Edit: (I dont know what Edonidd said and i hope no one takes my words out of context)

Edited by One_Armed

3 minutes ago, One_Armed said:

Ijust wanted to say something that was a little bit missed here. 

It's okay that a person would think that people from all colors are equal and still will be against the BLM movment because of the violent protest, (Not against their vision but against their methods) andthis person should be able to stay silent without being accused as racist.

(Sorry if this post hurt anybody I just feel this an important point that we often miss)

Absolutely true but how you say it also matters a lot.

14 minutes ago, R J said:

Absolutely true but how you say it also matters a lot.

Indeed.

I, personally think that to many got hurt and killed by the protest for it to be justified. I will understand someone that a person close to him got hurt because of the protest and he dosent think lucidly right now. 

Edited by One_Armed

2 minutes ago, One_Armed said:

Indeed.

I, personally think that to many got hurt and killed by the protest for it to be justified. I will understand someone that a person clise to him got hurt because of the protest and he dosent think lucidly right now. 

Yeah but that responsibility falls on both sides. Especially the armed one. And the police responses have been recorded and uploaded uncensored, they do not paint a pretty picture.

There are completely valid opinions on both sides of this topic. It really is difficult with such a sensitive topic to navigate the minefield of emotions. That being said, might it be nice to have Brandon use the power of his voice to take a stand? Yes. However, I can totally understand if he is less than totally public in dealing with this. He might say something in a stream which will reach thousands of ears and eyes around the world. He might say nothing at all. Ultimately, Brandon has to do what he feels is best. He does have his family to consider. Repercussions for coming out strongly on any topic are always unpredictable. Speaking for myself at least I cannot and would not condemn his silence on this as I cannot claim to know how I would act if I were in his position. It's easy for me to say and do as I will because I am an individual if I had to worry about my family being caught in the consequences of what I did I might not be so quick to act in certain ways. It is a delicate balance that always must be struck. Moral outrage is one thing to be sure of being able to act on it without the fear that others will be hurt by what you say or do is another. We don't know why there is silence, but I think that in time more will become clear. If time does not necessarily heal all wounds then for certain it offers perspective.  I know for me it's hard to judge. I simply trust that in the end whatever does happen will be something that Brandon in his situation is able to live with.

Edited by Nathrangking

6 minutes ago, R J said:

Yeah but that responsibility falls on both sides. Especially the armed one. And the police responses have been recorded and uploaded uncensored, they do not paint a pretty picture.

I'm not the most up to date and don't know exactly what your referring to but I have to say that you can't blame all police for what a few have done, and cop cars are burning, and I saw this one video of an officer being dragged away by a mob, it's chaos out there and everyone's nerves are high and I think it's important to remember that. (If that's not what your referring to then please correct me.)

Edited by Frustration

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I'm not the most up to date and don't know exactly what your referring to but I have to say that you can't blame all police for what a few have done, and cop cars are burning, and I saw this one video of an officer being dragged away by a mob, it's chaos out there and everyone's nerves are high and I think it's important to remember that. (If that's not what your referring to then please correct me.)

I'm referring to the police brutality against journalists, peaceful protesters, people who were distributing supplies to the protesters. There have been 100+ video recorded cases.

Recently Trump did a photo op with a Bible and cleared out a church ground with tear gas to do so.

Edited by R J

7 minutes ago, R J said:

I'm referring to the police brutality against journalists, peaceful protesters, people who were distributing supplies to the protesters. There have been 100+ video recorded cases.

Their cities are on fire, and people are being robbed, they're stressed can you blame them for being extra snappy?

Edited by Frustration

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

Their cities are on fire, and people are being robbed, they're stressed can you blame them for being extra snappy?

Their cities are on fire because they keep killing black men extra judicially. With respect, both things are bad but you’re emphasizing the wrong one.

Edited by NattyBo

Killing and arresting innocents is not “extra snappy”. I’ll elaborate in a minute, if the mods let the conversation keep going :) but I’m gonna give them the opportunity to stop. Always happy to elaborate in a PM too. 

Yes, what Natty said. 

Their cities are on fire, and people are being robbed, their stressed can you blame them for being extra snappy?

Yes because they've been much more than just "snappy"

It's quite clear that some of them are using this politically too judging by the slurs.

They've pulled guns on people (though I suppose that is nothing new)

Go see for yourselves

I felt like I should say something, and if you know me at all, you know I usually don’t talk about things like this, so forgive me if this sounds a little rough (I’ve also not kept up with the news that much, but I know the general picture) 

No one wanted George Floyd to be murdered. Not you, not me, and probably not anyone on this forum. You could ask anyone, and 99.9% of the time (yes there is that 0.1% of truly bigoted and racist people whose views of the world are skewed and absurd, but let’s not talk about that right now) will say that Mr. Floyd shouldn’t have died. Judging by his topics in the books, and the themes that he portrays time and time again, I’m sure that Brandon Sanderson does not support the death of Mr. Floyd. And surely, his silence doesn’t indicate so. Of course, I don’t know why Brandon has remained silent on the topic. And I’m not accusing him of doing anything wrong by not saying anything. There are a host of reasons why he might have chosen to not speak on something like this, many of which have been pointed out on this thread (look at Nathranking’s post), but when it comes down to it, I don’t know. And ultimately, we need to remember that it isn’t our decision. Brandon is his own person, and I will choose respect that. 

2 minutes ago, R J said:

Yes because they've been much more than just "snappy"

It's quite clear that some of them are using this politically too judging by the slurs.

They've pulled guns on people (though I suppose that is nothing new)

Go see for yourselves

Some police have pushed too far but your being rather dismissive of the large majority that have had nothing to do with it. You forget that they are people too, they are no different than us and have one of the most stressful jobs in the world.

3 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

This has been happening for 400 years.

And so murder, rioting, looting arson etc are justified? I have no problem with the peaceful protests, but you forget that blame is on both sides here.

It's my personal opinon that protesting for what you believe is good to do. The thing is that violence shouldn't be the way to go. Yes, something terrible happened but that doesn't mean people should be burning down buildings and stealing from companies and people that had nothing to do this. Peaceful protests are just as effective if not more so then violent ones because it shows that we can still be civil people and won't resort to hurting people or their property to get what we want.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

You forget that they are people too, they are no different than us and have one of the most stressful jobs in the world. 

Iirc police work isn’t even top ten most dangerous jobs in the world. 

No one is saying that there aren’t some good cops, but there are more right now who are either doing morally wrong things or who are at least not fight against the morally wrong things. And yes, I’m sure there are a few opportunists in the crowds, and few people who want chaos, but for the most part everyone is peaceful up until the police show up and start hurting them. People should not be rioting and looting...but to me, property damage is nothing compared to death and pain and everything they’re doing to stop the peaceful protests.