Shin vs. Other humans

Brgst13

Question

From Hoid's story, we know that the Shin came to Roshar, presumably following the destruction of Ashyn.  Do we know if the Alethi and other peoples are descended from the Shin, or were they already on Roshar?  The Shin physical differences suggest either a very distant past diversion or a separate migration/origin.  I could not find a clear answer either in the books or the Arcanum.

2 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, Brgst13 said:

From Hoid's story, we know that the Shin came to Roshar, presumably following the destruction of Ashyn.  Do we know if the Alethi and other peoples are descended from the Shin, or were they already on Roshar?  The Shin physical differences suggest either a very distant past diversion or a separate migration/origin.  I could not find a clear answer either in the books or the Arcanum.

its the same peoples. the only other society thats not native to Roshar is the Iri.

the "orginal event" he talks about is the migration from Ashyn

so i think how it went down is, multiple ethnic groups migrated over to Roshar and the one that became known as the Shin, just stayed in Shinovar and never really intermixed with the rest of the general populace after the migration.

Questioner

*Inaudible question*

Brandon Sanderson

*Repeating* Why do the Shin look different to the Rosharan significant <face>?

Because the Shin have spent a long time being very xenophobic. They haven't intermixed very much. When the original event happened, that I'm not going to say because of spoilers, different people settled in different places, and the Shin in particular just have been very xenophobic.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

Edited by Eternal Khol