Unmade and Heralds

Darth_Hel

So,the people who became the Heralds seem to have been around before Humans came to Roshar. Back then they followed Odium and had surgebinders that would be related to Odium. So, its reasonable to guess that the Heralds before the joined the Oathpact might have been invested with Odium based magic. The Eila Stele mentions "They came from another world, using powers that we have been forbidden to touch. Dangerous powers, of spren and Surges." Whether bonded to Odium spren or invested with some sort of Odium magic, it seems reasonable that this might need to have been stripped away from them before they could enter the Pact with Honor. So, the unmade could have been that Odium investiture that had infused the Heralds pre-Oathpact. It might also explain why Taln wasn't expected as part of the Oathpact and why there are only nine Unmade. If Taln had no magic or investiture pre-Oathpact then there would be nothing to strip away. It could also tie heavily into the theme that the commoner among them was the strongest, the man who couldn't even control surges pre-Oathpact.

Correct me if any of this seems wrong. I looked through Arcanum but could have missed things.

This is a pretty decent theory.  This pokes some holes in it. 

XS-Terrain

Also, does each of the Unmade have a corresponding order of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

Eh... Kind of.

XS-Terrain

Ok. So there are nine Unmade right, so which one is left out?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmith. But it's not as one to one, there's some fuzziness in there.

Oathbringer San Francisco signing (Nov. 15, 2017)  

If your theory were strictly true it would be one to one with Stonewards missing.  However I do think your somewhat on the right track.  You at least have an interesting view that should be developed further.

Edited by Karger

Some of the fuzziness could be because the void versions aren't one to one copies of the surge powers. Also, there's nothing saying the Heralds would neccessarily end up with the Blade matching their previous Surges. Especially since Brandon mentioned they could swap Blades if they wanted. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100/#e3564

Edited by Darth_Hel

Interesting theory, I like it!  Devil's advocate statements:

From what we know, Humans bonding spren came after the Heralds creation and was the direct inspiration for it in-world.  While the Ashyn people has some form of surgebinding, I doubt it had the same Spren-bond at it's core.

This WOB cast some doubt on how much the Humans were in league with Odium prior to their arrival, it seems to have been more of a coincidence or convergence of events rather than a pre-existing relationship.  Had they been that integrally involved with Odium, I doubt the resident Shards would have offered and assisted in letting them settle.  It makes sense for them to receive human settlers, but less for them to invite a people that were already Invested by another (murderous) Shard.  

Hoidonalsium

What was the order of the Shards coming to Roshar and changing allegiances? Did humans come with Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

So... you're talking about on Roshar specifically? So, Odium had visited Roshar. The humans gave him more of an ear... The Dawnsingers would have considered him the god of the people who had come, but-- I mean, it wasn't like they necessarily brought him. He was capable of getting around before that. I mean, he did kinda come along with them, he was instrumental in what happened there.

Hoidonalsium

Okay, but he was separate, and after Honor and Cultivation had really settled there?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he was after Honor and Cultivation had settled.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

I read that as more supportive than you do. Humans gave him more of an ear than Singers did, and he was instrumental in what happened, and followed the humans over. It sounds like he's just saying that Odium didn't need to be "brought" because he could travel there at any time if he'd wanted, but he did decide to go with them.