Moash loves rhythm, weird?

brie breath

I noticed in chapter 121 of Oathbringer Moash was “...enjoying the peaceful rhythm of pick on stone”. 
Later in chapter 122 of Oathbringer “...the numbness drove him to keep working, to hear that steady beat of metal on stone that let him pass between times”.

I think there may have been a few other references of Moash zoning out and I wasn’t sure if that been discussed before; I wonder if Moash is tuning in to hypno-Singing?

I actually think about this a lot. When he first met a fused, they mentioned "Moash" is a listener name, so I think that was foreshadowing on Brandons part. (he then changes his name to better fit with the singers too right?) He was also given an honor blade. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to hear the rhythms. 

Also, Im pretty sure the Singers don't separate crem from their storm water, which means he's been ingesting it. I have a completely unfounded theory that if a human were to ingest Crem, and get over/deal with the initial sickness, they would start to grow a gemheart (I remember a WoB or something that said listeners got the nutrients for gemhearts through crem). I think this will happen with Moash. 

This WoB also makes me wonder. Since Moash is a listener name, he probably has some listener heritage:

Shqueeves

Do humans with singer ancestry have vestigial gemhearts?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. Good question.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

(I know Rafo's aren't a confirmation, but I still think its worth some note)

Edit: Okay I found that WoB

Questioner

Where do gemhearts come from?

Brandon Sanderson

They grow naturally, just like your fingernails grow. 

Questioner

Where do they get the resources?

Brandon Sanderson

The rain that falls on Roshar is [hard] water, full of crem that crystalizes. If you drink that water, it gives you the nutrients that you need to make gemhearts.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Edited by Hentient

Oh my god @brie breath & @Hentient, this is amazing!

Yes, humans have been noted to unconsciously attune to Rhythms before. Rlain notices the Bridge 4 do this.

That crem WoB... that would be an amazing development but would a human be able to support a Gemheart? This would've happened before if they could, right? On the other hand, the Unkalaki and the Herdazians do have mixed Singer ancestry so there might indeed be something here! 

20 hours ago, R J said:

That crem WoB... that would be an amazing development but would a human be able to support a Gemheart?  

This bring up a good point- A blob fish (Sorry that's the first animal I could think of that doesn't have nails/hiar) Cant just start growing Nails- even if they have all the the things they need to do so. They just can't, Its not in their biology. Same goes for Rosharan humans. Gemhearts is a Rosharan trait, and the humans there aren't actually from Roshar. 

But, there is one key thing Moash has that a blob fish doesn't (Well, there are lots of things, but for my purpose:) The cognitive realm. If Moash starts to think of himself as a Singer, I think its possible that he (Even though he's genetically human) can grow a Gemheart, and as long as he eats crem, and continues to think of himself as a Singer, can sustain it. Thats the reason it hasn't happened before. No human has Immersed themselves so much in the Listener society to start believing they belong there. 

Edited by Hentient

23 hours ago, brie breath said:

I noticed in chapter 121 of Oathbringer Moash was “...enjoying the peaceful rhythm of pick on stone”. 

I think it is because he is slightly more invested then normal so Odium is allowing him to hear the "new rhythms" generated by his storms.  Eshonai felt the same.

Still the theory is interesting.  Please add it here

Edited by Karger

On 6/1/2020 at 3:43 PM, brie breath said:

Later in chapter 122 of Oathbringer “...the numbness drove him to keep working, to hear that steady beat of metal on stone that let him pass between times”.

I think there may have been a few other references of Moash zoning out and I wasn’t sure if that been discussed before; I wonder if Moash is tuning in to hypno-Singing?

I guess to be the voice of dissent here - aren't those common phrases that are often used without special meaning?  I mean, those are common phrases you would hear people say when they are doing repetitive work like that.  It's normal to develop a rhythm for work.

It always could be a subtle way of saying Moash is getting influenced by the Fused, but I think it's just as likely to be language used to express the monotony of the work and how Moash takes comfort in the ability to tune out and forget his pain and guilt by focusing on his work.

This isn't special to Moash. Read Eshonai's prologue chapter, and look for what she thinks of Gavilar. Such mentions are also present in many of Dalinar's flashback chapters.

Honestly, I don't think this is because of Singer ancestry at all. It's just a theme in the series, and is more a subtle showcase of certain principles of realmatics, and how the Cosmere itself operates.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

I just hope he gets killed by an Inquisitor... oh, wait, wrong planet. But I hope it's gruesome.

Mistborn spoilers 

Spoiler

I am pretty sure Stormlight happens between mistborn era 1 and 2 so it's not out of the question for Harmony to have Marsh go off and murder Moash.

Its interesting.  As the divide between humans and Singers seems to be growing, humans are unconsciously attuning rhythms, and a Singer has become a Knight Radiant.  This is more fuel for my theory that the conflict will not be humans vs singers but Unity vs division.

14 hours ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

Mistborn spoilers 

Reveal hidden contents

I am pretty sure Stormlight happens between mistborn era 1 and 2 so it's not out of the question for Harmony to have Marsh go off and murder Moash.

Please, Harmony, let him do it!