06/01/2020- SarahB-Ship'sCat-Writing exercise-2,100 words

Sarah B

1. What tone and type of story are you expecting?

The tone I'd be expecting based on the first paragraph versus the whole thing would be different. The first paragraph made me expect a more nontraditional narrative with lots of second person and first wall breaks. I was expecting there to be a cat in the story, and I was really looking forward to a cat in space.

The second part had me thinking of a more traditional sci-fi / space opera story with aliens more advanced than humans. 

2. What elements would you expect to see?

Exploration of sentience. Space ships. Diplomacy gone wrong. Maybe space pirates or smugglers. More detailed descriptions of the various species, the world, and tech.

3. What big moment/climax would you anticipate, based on the first chapter?

So if this were the start of a novel and S, who actually seems really nice and gentle, accidentally killing someone, is the inciting incident, then I expect the book would deal with the fallout of this. What does he do now that he can't be the ships human? I'd assuming his arc would be about coming to terms with this. So were would that lead to for plot? His having to survive some kind of revenge? Do something to help humans fit better in the galaxy? Create some kind of social political change? Him surviving the revenge and/or actually making a change could be the climax. 

But if S isn't really the focus of the story, if it is the character that gets cut in half? Then I'm not sure. 

Because of the cat mention in the begining, I keep wondering if he somehow gets turned into a cat later. 

@shatteredsmooth 

2 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

3. What big moment/climax would you anticipate, based on the first chapter?

So if this were the start of a novel and S, who actually seems really nice and gentle, accidentally killing someone, is the inciting incident, then I expect the book would deal with the fallout of this. What does he do now that he can't be the ships human? I'd assuming his arc would be about coming to terms with this. 

That is almost exactly what I was aiming for! Yay! 

The first paragraph was written last because I realized that my narrator was not showing up nearly enough and I needed to show where things would be heading. It really doesn't mesh well with the rest but that portion is closest to what I was hoping for the over all tone. 

A present narrator is something I would like to try again but also a skill I need to refine. A lot :-)

Thanks for reading and for your responses!