Chromium + Metalminds

Enter a username

A Leecher misting typically uses their ability to wipe another Allomancer of their metal reserves, and the Coppermind confirms that this also works for Breath and Stormlight, while also preventing a Shardbearer from summoning their Shardblade. Ever since I saw this line from the New Ascendancy broadsheet (from Bands of Mourning),

When I drain a Misting of their metal reserves, I feel something I can only describe as pulling power from the metal and returning this power to some external source. The metal remains, but the power is gone. 

I wondered: "Would this same thing work on metalminds?" I think it would, since it works on other, more distantly related forms of Investiture, but it might not.

15 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

I wondered: "Would this same thing work on metalminds?" I think it would, since it works on other, more distantly related forms of Investiture, but it might not.

We have two relevant WoBs that I know of this one which is not really helpful

Questioner

Could a Leecher take away stores in a metalmind?

Brandon Sanderson

You’ll have to find out.  That’s a RAFO.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

and this one which requires speculation.

Kaymyth

I asked the question about chromium vs a Compounder with both Invested and un-Invested metals in both their stomach and piercings.

Brandon Sanderson

What it boils down to is this:

1) Yes, the piercings will get burned off.

2) The non-Invested metals go before the Invested ones. He said that because Invested metals are harder to affect, it takes a little extra time and effort to get them to burn off. So a Leecher trying to clean out a Compounder would have to get a good grip and hang on for a few seconds.

3) Chromium burns about as quickly as duralumin, so if you're trying to burn off a lot of metals, it is possible to run out of chromium before your target is clean. This would probably only be an issue when dealing with larger pieces (like jewelry) rather than your standard metal-flakes-in-the-stomach deal.

ConQuest 46 (May 22, 2015)

One thing to bear in mind is that the broadsheet account is a deliberately sensationalized piece based. Per her writer Isaac:

Nikki’s broadsheet story reads like an old serialized novel. In-world, she’s writing these things to be very sensationalized and bends the truth of true events to fit the needs of her story and to entertain her audience. Tor.com interview with Isaac Stewart (May 7, 2020)

So while we can assume that there's true and useful (to us) information contained in her accounts, we shouldn't assume it's all meant to be taken at face value.