Cassandra Adama's Metallurgic Emporium

Ashbringer

Folorian smiled looking at Alanis swearing her third ideal, he was perfectly fine with the idea of the world having been modified, he was one of Lightweaver and replacing a truth by a better one what they did. Of course for now there was no way to know if this particular truth was better or worse than the original one, which was what they needed to investigate.

Your turn

Agreed

He took a spherical coppermind out of his pocket painted with a red cross and immediately tapped all of it

---

"You managed to get the medallion?" A young blue eyed blond girl far too tall for here ten years, asked. It was almost weird to see Aliece cheerful, especially considering she would spend the following decade gloomy and cold.

"Of course I did" he remembered saying, showing her a copper-nicrosil medalion of the same model he currently had in his pocket. "You really managed to get the key to the reserve?"

"Better than that" She answered, leaning to whisper to his ears "I got the key to the forbidden reserve"

"The forbidden Library? How did you even do that?"

"My father is the one who keep this key this week, I just got lucky"

Folorian was starting to see where this was going, while he had never been allowed in the forbidden reserve because of what would happen latter in the memory, he knew there was a reason it was forbidden. Of course neither him nor Aliece had known it at that time and had just assumed it was forbidden because it was cooler.

---

The forbidden reserve was disappointing, in a way, it was just rows upon rows of copperminds with a number painted on each to be able to sort them. Of course they didn't have the index of which coppermind contained what, it would be be with one of the members of the inner circle, they only knew it was not with Aliece's father, the key and the index where always separated so that no one could access the memory stored here without others knowing about it. Of course this system was far from foolproof.

Aliece took two copperminds at random and gave him one, he gave her the medallion. It was the last time he had ever seen her happy, wasn't it?

Florian's memory tapped his coppermind

--

"Is the record working Spook?" A blond man with one eye replaced by metal asked

"I think so Kel. It's a very weird feeling, storing my short-term memory"

"Perfect. Are you ready for the experiment?"

The man who recorded the coppermind didn't answer and took a spike of a silvery metal Folorian remembered not having been able to identify when ten years old, but now recognized as either Aluminium or Duralumin. He walked to a table where an unconscious man laid and rammed the spike in the right part of his chest -an area Folorian now recognized as slightly right of the heart- with the intent to charge it with the power to remove power while not killing the person on the slab. It failed. The man died instantly and the memory ended on Kelsier swearing to rust and Ruin.

--

While Folorian was catatonic from imprinting in his mind a memory of him becoming a murderer, Aliece was screaming from hers. And for a reason young Folorian hadn't understood and present Folorian feared he did, was dusting he skirt as if she was dirty. Her screams rapidly alerted the sleeping people with her father in first, who instead of comforting his obviously shaken daughter, slapped her for having emptied the coppermind.

--

There was an ellipsis in the memory and Folorian remembered himself in the room he had been consigned to after the previous incident.

"Folorian" despite her voice being nearly devoid of emotion he recognized Aliece's voice immediately and turned toward her, a wide smile illuminating his face

"Aliece? You managed to get them to remove out interdiction to see each other?"

She didn't answer and just moved slowly toward him, when it didn't look like she was going to stop before colliding with him he moved back until he was back to the wall, then she said "It's all your fault" and tried to strangle him.

Thanksfully for him she didn't realy know how to do it and he was able to strugle until adults alerted by the noise came rescue him.

--

The memory completly finished Folorian standed in the Emporium, visibily shocked by what he'd just remembered.

It was not my fault.

What was not your fault?

IT WAS NOT MY FAULT.

@Ashbringer@Rushu42

It's my first time doing flashbacks and using this weird half-omintient half-internal point of view. Is it understandable?

"Whoa," was all that Poller managed to say. Aln and Folorian... both of them. Together. And now Aln had a Shard...staff. He thought that made sense, as Aln seemed more of a non-confrontational sort, but it was a relief that she could make a Shardblade if she needed to. Folorian hadn't... he hadn't caught what he'd said. But he'd done something.

"Hmm. Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination," Poller whispered, looking at the Radiants.

He blinked.

Nothing. 

"Well, it was worth a shot..." Poller said, standing up. Then he realized that probably wasn't the best thing to say. "But seriously. Congratulations. That's... I've never seen that before."

"So... we good to go to the Hospital? I don't think we need much if we have... that," he said, nodding to Aln's Shardstaff.

Don't discount yourself so easily, Poller. Shards aren't unstoppable...

He didn't say that out loud.

@mathiau @Rushu42

I'm good to go ahead and go over to that thread, if you guys want. But I'm not sure if we want to wait and let Cassie/NullBlade/Zaria join us or not.

Now that I think about it... Byron and NullBlade might just be flat out unstoppable together.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:42 PM, mathiau said:

Folorian smiled looking at Alanis swearing her third ideal, he was perfectly fine with the idea of the world having been modified, he was one of Lightweaver and replacing a truth by a better one what they did. Of course for now there was no way to know if this particular truth was better or worse than the original one, which was what they needed to investigate.

Your turn

Agreed

He took a spherical coppermind out of his pocket painted with a red cross and immediately tapped all of it

Aln smiled back at Folorian, but the expression quickly turned to concern as he tapped the metalmind. Knowing Lightweavers, that memory was unlikely to be pleasant. She moved to stand near him, and put a hand on his arm in what she hoped was a reassuring way. Despite her worry for her friend, she couldn't suppress a feeling of exultation. She'd been struggling with that Oath for so long. I'm a true Knight Radiant now, she realized suddenly. She could feel joy from Pel, radiating through her bond. And for Folorian to have tapped that metalmind must mean that he had just sworn his next Oath as well. It was almost enough to distract her from her current situation. At least, it was until Poller's words snapped her back to reality.

"Right, yes, we should be off." Aln looked at the Pelstaff in her hand, trying to imagine herself wielding a weapon. "Unfortunately, having a Shardblade is not the same thing as being able to use one." At her unspoken request, Pel shifted, materializing instead as a shield on her arm. "I'll try to make myself useful in other ways."

22 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

I'm good to go ahead and go over to that thread, if you guys want. But I'm not sure if we want to wait and let Cassie/NullBlade/Zaria join us or not.

Now that I think about it... Byron and NullBlade might just be flat out unstoppable together.

I'm good to move. If they want to come I don't have objections, but I agree that trying to play 2 (or 3) characters at once would be confusing for you. It's your decision. Also, who's playing the NPCs at the hospital? Is there someone running the plot that we should ping?

It sounds like NullBlade is staying at the Emporium either way, and Cassie probably will as well (at first). So I say Poller/Aln/Folorian move threads now, and have them just miss Cassie/NullBlade/Zaria. Then Random Bystander can decide if Zaria wants to go looking for Poller or stick around the Emporium; Cassie'd probably let her stay on-clock whatever she does.

I guess NPC's depend on whether we want to find anything yet - Byron's recovering from an Aylitha attack, but since his memory isn't what's being altered that won't really reveal too much. 18th Shard has Sanax, but they haven't been around the Alleys for a while it seems. If we want to make another "Awakened" personnel pretty much anyone could take them, I think. I'll add something in the Chat Thread just generally asking about it.

We can probably make general Hospital workers free NPCs and then let Kenod / a DA member handle any interference.

10 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

I think Zaria should go looking for Poller. Zaria has memory problems of her own, and I think she would try to figure out if that could be the source of her problems. (It's not, but the problems do seem similar enough for her to come to that conclusion...) 

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln smiled back at Folorian, but the expression quickly turned to concern as he tapped the metalmind. Knowing Lightweavers, that memory was unlikely to be pleasant. She moved to stand near him, and put a hand on his arm in what she hoped was a reassuring way. Despite her worry for her friend, she couldn't suppress a feeling of exultation. She'd been struggling with that Oath for so long. I'm a true Knight Radiant now, she realized suddenly. She could feel joy from Pel, radiating through her bond. And for Folorian to have tapped that metalmind must mean that he had just sworn his next Oath as well. It was almost enough to distract her from her current situation. At least, it was until Poller's words snapped her back to reality.

"Right, yes, we should be off." Aln looked at the Pelstaff in her hand, trying to imagine herself wielding a weapon. "Unfortunately, having a Shardblade is not the same thing as being able to use one." At her unspoken request, Pel shifted, materializing instead as a shield on her arm. "I'll try to make myself useful in other ways."

Aln's hand helped Folorian calm down

"Thank you Aln, I... I'm sorry I won't be able to become a true Radiant yet." He knew the words he'd have to say, in fact he might be able to say more than one truth we what he remembered, but the words stayed stuck in his mouth, unable to leave

He noticed Aln's now emerald eyes and smiled "Sounds like we'll have to update your portraits"

On 14/02/2021 at 6:12 AM, Ashbringer said:

They would not be literally unstoppable; you would need some very stupid things to beat them but Voidmaking and a few of the DA’s Hemaluric creations qualify, as does dropping the roof on them and probably the Spike’s guard.

And yes, NullBlade will need more proof than we can currently to persuade him that the reality change can have happen as he imagines his immunity should make him, well, immune to it. He’s not even immune the Worldspike’s language information so he’s completely wrong, actually him burning aluminium makes him immune to the change’s decay.

On 2/15/2021 at 0:42 PM, mathiau said:

Aln's hand helped Folorian calm down

"Thank you Aln, I... I'm sorry I won't be able to become a true Radiant yet." He knew the words he'd have to say, in fact he might be able to say more than one truth we what he remembered, but the words stayed stuck in his mouth, unable to leave

He noticed Aln's now emerald eyes and smiled "Sounds like we'll have to update your portraits"

Sorry that this has taken so long! I'm a slow writer, so I keep logging on and starting a reply, then not finishing. 

I'll put this as the last post of this thread, then write another of Aln showing up at the hospital (I'm going to assume that your characters follow, for the sake of efficiency, but if they don't you can correct me).

Aln smiled back. "You just took a really big step, Folorian. Don't apologize just because there's still further to go." Stormlight escaped from her mouth as she spoke, and she quickly poured the excess into her gemstones. "Hopefully we'll have a chance to talk about what you discovered once this is over, but right now I think we need to get moving. If there's anyone looking for us, the influx of Investiture in this vicinity undoubtedly alerted them."

Aln dismissed Pel for ease of movement, then stepped forward and gestured for the others to follow. "Let's try not to let this end up in a fight, alright? If someone comes at you with a weapon, just run. I'll have Progression if you're injured, but death is far harder to fix."

So saying, she stepped out of the Emporium, and headed off toward Eindalung Hospital.

@Ashbringer

Just now, Random Bystander said:

Are you all okay if Zaria heads over to the Emporium on her own, and then bumps into the other group going to the hospital? I want to be part of the hospital thing. It seems interesting.

Sure! I've already put a post in that thread, but if you want you can turn up partway through it.

On 23/02/2021 at 4:21 AM, Rushu42 said:

Aln smiled back. "You just took a really big step, Folorian. Don't apologize just because there's still further to go." Stormlight escaped from her mouth as she spoke, and she quickly poured the excess into her gemstones. "Hopefully we'll have a chance to talk about what you discovered once this is over, but right now I think we need to get moving. If there's anyone looking for us, the influx of Investiture in this vicinity undoubtedly alerted them."

Aln dismissed Pel for ease of movement, then stepped forward and gestured for the others to follow. "Let's try not to let this end up in a fight, alright? If someone comes at you with a weapon, just run. I'll have Progression if you're injured, but death is far harder to fix."

So saying, she stepped out of the Emporium, and headed off toward Eindalung Hospital.

@Ashbringer

A great step? Was it really what he'd done? It felt more like he'd tried to take a step but it's height had proven to much and he'd fallen back instead of advancing

@Ashbringer

I think NullBlade and Cassandra were supposed to come here

Edited by mathiau

• 1 month later...

Cassie gripped the door handle.

It was more difficult than she was anticipating. She had to shift her burden to her left arm to open the door with her right. All the metal she'd Soulcast in Lord's dungeon... she wasn't one to let it go to waste. Not that much mercury, silver, steel. And not when she desperately needed a break.

The Emporium was dark. Too dark. Cassandra stepped over to the front desk, where Poller was usually snoozing. Instead, there was a small note, inscribed in... metal?

Had another episode. Fell over. Head hurts. Went to the Hospital to get it checked out, but it should be alright. Make sure you remember.

That wasn't like Poller. Cassie didn't really know what to make of the kid - he was genuine, and good with his Feruchemy. But he also seemingly couldn't control it. Or... no, he had narcolepsy. That was it. Rusts, what was with her? Either way... he always had things under his own control. Progression didn't work on his type of chronic condition, especially when it had been so interweaved with his own Investiture. He shouldn't need to go to the hospital for that... and he'd been with a Truthwatcher customer, who would definitely be able to take care of a head wound from him toppling over. So why the Hospital?

Cassie sighed. She'd go check on him soon.

But first... she pulled off her gloves.

The sight of two hands greeted her. One pink, tinged with the tones of flesh. The other... bronze. Nearly entirely.

Well, not bronze. Cassie had done some tests, and she still didn't know what metal her body was turning into. It was strong, and had the not-gold shade of a bronze plating or an overly tanned Shin. But it was stronger than any bronze ought to be. Perhaps it was a freakish alloy of every metal she'd ever Soulcast.

She could also still move the limb. Her metal fingers responded just as naturally to her thoughts as her living ones, if quite a bit slower. Less precise. Perhaps it only covered the surface.

She burned iron.

And gasped.

Her left arm appeared blue. Brilliant blue. That was to be expected, but there was hardly any not-blue left in her hand. And the lines... tendrils snaked down through her shoulder, twisting through her body. Cassie's free arm - her right - almost instinctively moved to across her chest. The place the Coinshot had hit her, where she'd shaken it off, her dress was torn right through - but the skin was unbroken, for there was no skin to break. Even her bones glowed.

What had changed? Her nervous system? Arteries? Tendons? Did this just happen from overexerting herself, or had it been happening this whole time? How hadn't she noticed? She knew the answer to the last one. She'd never thought to look.

Okay. Focus. Don't panic.

Cassie quickly grabbed her gloves, pulling them back on. She hesitated before strapping on her Soulcaster as well. Perhaps going to the Hospital may have another benefit.

But... no.

No one must ever know. Not until she had a plan. What to do.

Ten minutes later, Cassie was out the door. Gloves in place, cursed fabrial held proud. And an aluminum lined dress. Just in case. 

Off to the Hospital it was.

33 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Cassie gripped the door handle.

It was more difficult than she was anticipating. She had to shift her burden to her left arm to open the door with her right. All the metal she'd Soulcast in Lord's dungeon... she wasn't one to let it go to waste. Not that much mercury, silver, steel. And not when she desperately needed a break.

NullBlade followed behind Cassandra. "Do you need help?"

On 4/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, mathiau said:

NullBlade followed behind Cassandra. "Do you need help?"

Cassie blinked, mentally checking that she had in fact put her gloves back on. "I..." Best to be honest with this one, or at least mostly. "I... over-extended myself at the Trader's Heaven. I don't have the luxury of a Nahel bond to channel my Soulcasting, which leads to... complications, if manageable ones. And my assistant apparently is at the Einladung. I think... I'm going there as well. Two birds with one stone and all that."

She paused her step. "I can manage, but... I might appreciate the company."

7 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Cassie blinked, mentally checking that she had in fact put her gloves back on. "I..." Best to be honest with this one, or at least mostly. "I... over-extended myself at the Trader's Heaven. I don't have the luxury of a Nahel bond to channel my Soulcasting, which leads to... complications, if manageable ones. And my assistant apparently is at the Einladung. I think... I'm going there as well. Two birds with one stone and all that."

She paused her step. "I can manage, but... I might appreciate the company."

Ah, she was becoming a Soulcasting savant. NullBlade didn't know much about other types of Savant but he knew Soulcasting was a very messy one, and most often deadly.

"Yes I'll come with you" it was not like he had anything else to do "Do you know why your assistant went to the hospital... Poller I think?"

She had been forward about her Savantism, should he do the same? Maybe. He decided do explain it when the matter of his bracers would come again. Or if she asked about his powers.

28 minutes ago, mathiau said:

"Yes I'll come with you" it was not like he had anything else to do "Do you know why your assistant went to the hospital... Poller I think?"

"Thank you," she said, letting her arms relax a bit. "Poller... it's not really my place to say, but he has a condition that leaves him a bit off-balance at times. I think he just hit his head. A Truthwatcher could fix that easily enough, but he may have just been fed up with it and wanted a professional to look at him."

That still didn't feel like Poller, though. Narcolepsy wasn't something that science really knew how to fix, and as far as she could tell Poller just depended on bronze instead of any medical treatment. He seemed exhausted with it, really. So why try again now?

It wasn't really her place to say, was it.

"He should be all right. He was fine enough to leave a note, and I'm pretty sure one of the customers around was a Truthwatcher. So I'm not too worried, but I still want to check on him. In the meantime... those braces you wanted. I probably shouldn't Soulcast for a while if I can avoid it, but I can forge them manually. I must say I've never really seen someone burn metal through their skin, much less aluminum. Who knows, I may try it with my iron some day."

She'd have to be careful if she did. If she could use her own skin to fuel Allomancy... heh. That would be an interesting fate.

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

"Thank you," she said, letting her arms relax a bit. "Poller... it's not really my place to say, but he has a condition that leaves him a bit off-balance at times. I think he just hit his head. A Truthwatcher could fix that easily enough, but he may have just been fed up with it and wanted a professional to look at him."

"He should be all right. He was fine enough to leave a note, and I'm pretty sure one of the customers around was a Truthwatcher. So I'm not too worried, but I still want to check on him. In the meantime... those braces you wanted. I probably shouldn't Soulcast for a while if I can avoid it, but I can forge them manually. I must say I've never really seen someone burn metal through their skin, much less aluminum. Who knows, I may try it with my iron some day."

But if they had gone to the hospital despite a Truthwatcher being here, wouldn't that mean what he had couldn't be cured just with Progression?

"It's rarely relevant but it's possible to burn metal from anywhere in the body, so people who want to constantly burn a metal sometime uses this method, the Sliver did it with Atium -that's how my father told me the story of how the Ascendant Warrior defeated him, she tore his atiuminds out of his flesh and he aged in an instant. Ferruchemical Aluminium stores Identity so compounding is useful to resist things like emotional Allomancy and Soulcasting so I guess some compounder could be using this method, but it's not why I'm doing it" He took a deep breath, he didn't like to tell about his power but Cassandra had already seen them so she would never have believed he was just a compounder, and in the Alleyverse anyone with bronze could discover his "secret" anyway. "Do you know what actually happen when someone burns aluminium?"

On 4/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, mathiau said:

"It's rarely relevant but it's possible to burn metal from anywhere in the body, so people who want to constantly burn a metal sometime uses this method, the Sliver did it with Atium -that's how my father told me the story of how the Ascendant Warrior defeated him, she tore his atiuminds out of his flesh and he aged in an instant. Ferruchemical Aluminium stores Identity so compounding is useful to resist things like emotional Allomancy and Soulcasting so I guess some compounder could be using this method, but it's not why I'm doing it" He took a deep breath, he didn't like to tell about his power but Cassandra had already seen them so she would never have believed he was just a compounder, and in the Alleyverse anyone with bronze could discover his "secret" anyway. "Do you know what actually happen when someone burns aluminium?"

"Aluminum, Internal Pushing Enhancement... except it doesn't really enhance, does it. It removes any speck of metal from your system, like chromium but only on yourself. Mostly it's in demand for weapons, not Allomancy... I suppose having it in piercings would slow the effects of Leeching, but it would still have the effect."

Something clicked.

"But chromium doesn't just affect metals, does it? It can work on Stormlight, and others. And it doesn't rip all the iron out of your bloodstream. Just the metal you can use Allomantically... and you're essentially self-Leeching any of that out of you, at all times," she finished. "You're canceling any Investiture besides your own."

That was very interesting. NullBlade... she could see where the name came from. A lone man with a Shardblade could decimate an entire platoon of footsoldiers - but even a 2nd Oath Radiant stood a fair shot. Take away that edge, however... and suddenly that Shardblade becomes a much larger factor. The Ghostbloods would love to hear this... although Cassie was becoming more and more aware of how much they already knew. Well, she'd led them to a deposit of Hemalurgic spikes. That would satisfy them for a good while.

"It's... funny. Allomancers practice and practice and break their barriers, and their savantism just makes them so much stronger. But a Soulcaster..." she rotated her shoulder, stiffly, "we get the short straw of all things."

11 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

"Aluminum, Internal Pushing Enhancement... except it doesn't really enhance, does it. It removes any speck of metal from your system, like chromium but only on yourself. Mostly it's in demand for weapons, not Allomancy... I suppose having it in piercings would slow the effects of Leeching, but it would still have the effect."

"But chromium doesn't just affect metals, does it? It can work on Stormlight, and others. And it doesn't rip all the iron out of your bloodstream. Just the metal you can use Allomantically... and you're essentially self-Leeching any of that out of you, at all times," she finished. "You're canceling any Investiture besides your own."
"It's... funny. Allomancers practice and practice and break their barriers, and their savantism just makes them so much stronger. But a Soulcaster..." she rotated her shoulder, stiffly, "we get the short straw of all things."

"Internal Pulling, but yes it's the idea." He would probably also cancel his own investiture other than his aluminium if he had any, but it didn't really matter.

"You may not get stronger, but you do keep the ability to stop. A tineye savant is almost blind while not burning tin and a tug would die of exhaustion. Mine is not as serious as these but I'd still probably be easier to Soulcast than a rock."

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, mathiau said:

"Internal Pulling, but yes it's the idea." He would probably also cancel his own investiture other than his aluminium if he had any, but it didn't really matter.

"You may not get stronger, but you do keep the ability to stop. A tineye savant is almost blind while not burning tin and a tug would die of exhaustion. Mine is not as serious as these but I'd still probably be easier to Soulcast than a rock."

Blast it. Pulling. Elements were Pulling. Alloys were Pushing. That was the first thing about the Allomantic arts besides how to use them to kill people. Blast it, Cassie, what was wrong with you? The answer to that was unfortunately obvious. Perhaps she was just still rattled. She had plenty of reason to be in shock right now...

"Yes, of course. Forgive me."

That was an interesting point. "Do you think it's even possible? Just to give up the Soulcaster, let it go? It would ruin my business, my image... almost everything I've set myself to be. And it doesn't fix the fact half my arm's metal. I don't know anything that can fix a steel soul... or whatever metal it is."

"I guess if anyone would know, the Hospital would... you have much of a reason to get there? You seem to have a better handle on it than me."

NullBlade cocked an eyebrow when she asked for forgiveness. What were there to forgive? It was just a meaningless confusion.

"If one pulp Soulcaster can create enough food to feed a town then a skilled foil Soulcaster should be able to create enough precious metal to retire on Scadrial or one of the earth, on Invocation earth you wouldn't even have to hide your arm and might find  an Epic able to heal you." His face clouded over, he had made nearly the same proposition to Perfect, she had not listened.

He stopped burning aluminium for a while and felt the familiar touch of his wife, looking at him from the past, a bit like . Why had she died that day? She was a basically a goddess, she shouldn't ever die, at least not... not like that, not of a meaningless death a the end of a won fight.

He burned aluminium again and looked toward Cassandra again "While I have a better handle of it than you it still is a significant monthly expanse, and who knows maybe studying me could help them help other type of savant, like you. So if you have no issue with that I'd rather go with you"

@Ashbringer

Edited by mathiau

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
3 minutes ago, Emery the Windrunner said:

Is this thread dead? Because I have a  compounder that could use some new gear.

The Emporium is temporarily closed because Cassandra is currently at the Einladung hospital