What is the most usefull order of radiant

Orders of the Knights Radiant

• Windrunners – Manipulate the Surges of Adhesion and Gravitation. Bonded to Honorspren?
  • Skybreakers – Manipulate the Surges of Gravitation and Division. Bonded to Highspren?
  • Dustbringers – Manipulate the Surges of Division and Abrasion. Bonded to Ashspren?
  • Edgedancers – Manipulate the Surges of Abrasion and Progression. Bonded to Cultivationspren?
  • Truthwatchers – Manipulate the Surges of Progression and Illumination?
  • Lightweavers – Manipulate the Surges of Illumination and Transformation. Bonded to Liespren (Cryptic)?
  • Elsecallers – Manipulate the Surges of Transformation and Transportation. Bonded to Inkspren?
  • Willshapers – Manipulate the Surges of Transportation and Cohesion. Bonded to Lightspren?
  • Stonewards – Manipulate the Surges of Cohesion and Tension?
  • Bondsmiths – Manipulate the Surges of Tension and Adhesion. Bonded to Godspren. There can only be three Bondsmiths?

I don't personally identify with this order, but I think the most practical of them is the Elsecallers.

Being able to Soulcast is infinitely useful -- no one can argue that.

Accessing Shadesmar allows for infinite possibilities: it inform battle tactics (sneak up behind another army in Shadesmar, for example, and return to the physical realm in the midst of their ranks); it also makes research on Spren much easier to conduct, seeing as you can just transport to their cities whenever you want and not have to worry about traveling to a perpendicularity; and it makes worldhopping much, much more convenient for the same reason it makes research easier.

Also, unlike some surges, (e.g. Tension, Cohesion, etc.) Transportation and Transformation can't be resisted by small amounts of Investiture. Of course, I would bet that you can't make a temporary Perpendicularity while wearing Shardplate just like you can't use the Surge of Gravitation while wearing Shardplate, but said surges are not as easy to thwart as some.

OB and Warbreaker spoilers beyond!

The Surge of Transportation would also help you not get stranded in Shadesmar like Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin, and Vivenna did.

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

Welcome to the Shard! It is perhaps not necessary to paste the entire coppermind article into your post. Instead, link it or reference it (i.e. Look up the Coppermind article on the Knight Radiant Ordres). The formatting gets weird, and really, we can all go look ourselves :)

Which Order is most useful depends on what you want to use them for, imo. Combat? Windrunners, Stonewards, Dustbringers, perhaps. Maybe Lightweavers.

Knowledge, artistic ability, visionary? Lightweavers and Elsecallers.

Leadership abilities? Windrunners and Bondsmiths.

Edgedancers and Truthwatchers are great medics and Edgedancers can feed armies.

Etc etc.

Ive always felt the Bondsmiths were the most powerful, just because of the spren they bond with. There are only three of them at a time, possibly because Sanderson knew how powerful they would be, I mean Dalinar opened Honors perpendicularity

Though It does depend on what the Radiants are being used for, Like @RShara said. Edgedancers make excellent medics, and Windrunners amazing warriors. Its a matter of applying the Radiants in the correct place, because each order thrives in a unique position. Though ultimately, the Bondsmiths are the ones that make those decisions, because of the nature of their order and the fact that they are generally placed as the leaders of the Radiants.

Edited by Hentient

I agree about the bondsmiths.  Provided you have some number of people around bondsmiths will allow them to communicate better and do their jobs more effectively.  Dito if you have any other radiant.  If you are going lone survivor then edgedancers are probably best since they are just about unkillable.

I would say Lightweavers. Soulcasting is OP, manipulation of waveforms is OP (or heck, illusion crafting alone is quite powerful on its own), apparently they can cheer up & provide spiritual sustenance to people, and seem to have some form of limited clairvoyance perhaps as a Spiritual manifestation of their Surges

Edited by R J

Another vote for Elsecallers -  great for gathering information, make logistics much easier and (given enough Stormlight) are absolute terror on the battlefield. Also, the Machiavellian interpretation of the First Ideal can come in handy in certain situations

Edited by KandraAllomancer

36 minutes ago, earthexile said:

Healing fatal injuries and seeing the future seems like the most generally useful set of powers, to me. Hell, I'd be thrilled with just the healing. A Truthwatcher would be pricelessly useful to almost any society in any situation.

Maybe for us, but In the context of Roshar, Truthwatchers that could see the future would probably be outcast's because of cultural bias. Although it's unlikely that true Truthwatchers have this ability, but that its a side effect of Glys being corrupted. 

Though if Sja-anat is really on the Radiants side, maybe she could corrupt certain spren before the bond, giving different abilities to those orders on purpose, like a subcategory within an order. I think that would be cool to see. 

Edited by Hentient

3 hours ago, earthexile said:

Healing fatal injuries and seeing the future seems like the most generally useful set of powers, to me. Hell, I'd be thrilled with just the healing. A Truthwatcher would be pricelessly useful to almost any society in any situation.

3 hours ago, Hentient said:

Maybe for us, but In the context of Roshar, Truthwatchers that could see the future would probably be outcast's because of cultural bias. Although it's unlikely that true Truthwatchers have this ability, but that its a side effect of Glys being corrupted. 

Though if Sja-anat is really on the Radiants side, maybe she could corrupt certain spren before the bond, giving different abilities to those orders on purpose, like a subcategory within an order. I think that would be cool to see. 

I really don't think that Truthwatchers in general could see the future. Given Shallan's access to Illumination and the fact that she saw Shalash destroying a statue of herself and saw Yalb and the crew making it to shore, I'm pretty sure normal Truthwatchers can see the present, and perhaps the past. Basically scrying or clairvoyance.

Individually each KR is powerful and given time / training should be able to hold their own as an individual.   I think their greatest strength lies in their collective abilities.   Together they can accomplish much more than singular.  We have seen so little on screen of them combining their talent together ( e.g., Dalinar & Shallan making maps real time, etc...)  What can they do when three, four or better still, all ten orders combined to perform something truly astounding.   I’m sure Brandon has some treats ahead... 

Edited by XeGnome

Voting for elsecallers too as most flexible and potentially just OP. 

They are good in combat, especially 1v1 against things they can soulcast. Although also what is to stop them from just soulcasting big rocks from air above enemies etc.

They can also soulcast to feed everyone. Transportation could also be rather handy not only for combat, but for transporting large groups of people depending on its limitations

Jasnah also soulcast shallans blood as apparently it's easy as one of the special essences. That would come in handy in many healing applications (obviously not as versatile as what others have though)

Leadership qualities can also be learned. Though bondsmiths definitely have a leg up here with connections to people.

All the orders are equally important, we haven't seen what they can really do(with shardplate and stuff), and once we do see their full potential with all the orders working together at once, it will be even more clear that they are all the most powerful in diferent ctagories. I'm sure that all the orders think that what they are doing is the most important.

Pretty easily Elsecallers, with Lightweavers an honorable mention.

When it comes to everyday utility, literally nothing beats being able to transform stuff.

Food? Check. Water? Check. Waste disposal? Check. Raw Materials? Check. Shelter? Check.

Who needs farmland when you can just conjure food out of thin air.

Then you add teleportation as the cherry on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, I would bet that you can't make a temporary Perpendicularity while wearing Shardplate just like you can't use the Surge of Gravitation while wearing Shardplate, but said surges are not as easy to thwart as some.

Windrunners can lash themselves while in Shardplate. The Windrunner in Dalinars first vision did so. 

Soulcasting is inarguably useful. But I would argue Growth is the most useful. It's easy to destroy people. Healing is something else. And insta-fertilizer to boot. It isn't as much food as Soulcasting, and it can't make tools. But no tool is as valuable as a person. People can make just about anything.

From there it's a question of Truthwatchers or Edgedancers. And while I'm biased towards Edgedancers I think Truthwatchers are probably more valuable. Friction is nifty, but Illumination has some real concrete uses, from entertainment to education to infiltration. 

Edited by Aminar

One thing to consider is each order has a special way their surges work together (An example being lightweavers can give weight to their illusions) and we havent seen what that is for most of the orders, so it might be hard to know exactly who is the most useful.