Cosmere Admission

I’ve been rereading the cosmere while in quarantine. And I think I previously muddled together Khriss and Silverlight academics with Frost and the 17th Shard making one large society within cosmere events. I’ve since realized my error. Please correct me if I’m wrong where current loyalties lie within worldhoppers.

-Hoid

-Frost and the 17th Shard

-Khriss, Nahz, and Silverlight 

-The Nalthian Worldhoppers (opposed and unaligned)

-The Ghostbloods

-Felt

My immediate question is everyone else seems to have a plot. Hoid and the 17th shard, Khriss helps in building out the worlds. The ghostbloods have a plot. But what the heck is Felt doing? Is he aligned with one? And does Hoid have any allies in the great conflict that we know about?

Frost is the leader of the 17th Shard who believe in non-interventionism and as such are trying to capture Hoid

Other known members include Demoux (from Mistborn), his wife Aslydin (Terris, suspected to be Lemex's nurse on Nalthis), Galladon (from Elantris) & Baon (from White Sand)

Khriss, Nazh & Guyn are renowned  Silverlight scholars. Here's something interesting about her:

FirstSelector

Was Khriss involved in founding the (a) University at Silverlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yup.

Oathbringer San Francisco signing (Nov. 15, 2017)

Silverlight is a city in the Cognitive Realm involved in researching the Cosmere and its various Shardworlds. Serves as a centre for learning, tourism, trade, pit stop & recruitment ground for various worldhoppering organizations. As of now, there are people on Silverlight who were born there.

The Ghostbloods seem to be very well-heeled. They sometimes recruit from 17th Shard field agents. They have visited First of the Sun & even Yolen, two places Khriss hasn't been able to visit.

Felt was a Final Empire era Scadrian involved in the trade passing through the Atium mine. This is what Brandon said regarding Felt's allegiances:

Hoiditthroughthegrapevine

*written* Is Felt and agent of Harmony? If not, is he a member of a secret society that we have seen?

Brandon Sanderson

*written* Felt is different in his allegiance depending on the part of his life.

*spoken* Felt's allegiance has changed at various times during-- yeah, we'll just say that. His allegiance has changed over the years. There are times he's been a rogue agent.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

Khyrindor

Was Felt cosmere-aware during Era 1?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Khyrindor

Was he directly involved in the interplanetary trade through the Pits?

Brandon Sanderson

He was involved. Whether directly is the right term or not I will not say.

Khyrindor

And is he part of the Seventeenth Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

He has been a member of various different groups and had various different motivations over the years. I would not put him, right now, as a member of the Seventeenth Shard.

Khyrindor

As in, like, Stormlight Archive--

Brandon Sanderson

As of Stormlight Archive Era: Not a member of the Seventeenth Shard. Obviously--well, I won't go any further on that.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

The Five Scholars of Nalthis were regarded as early Cosmere scholars by Silverlight but the only other Shardworld we definitively know that they visited was Roshar. Currently, Vasher & Vivenna are there, as is Nightblood. We don't know if Vivenna has visited other Shardworlds as of now.

There is apparently another group which passes on communication between different Shardworlds. They can reach Yolen and delivered Hoid & Frost's messages.

Overlord Jebus

Cosmere postal service. Can you tell us anything about this? How many people are involved?

Brandon Sanderson

It is more UPS than USPS, if that makes sense. Meaning it is enterprising individuals who are traveling and trading between planets. Some places are easier to deliver to than others.

Footnote: UPS is United Parcel Service (a package delivery company) and USPS is the US Postal Service.
Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Edited by R J

39 minutes ago, Red Windrunner said:

@R JLol that’s a far more detailed explanation. Thank you.

yeah for whatever reason I had lumped Khriss and Silverlight in with the 17th Shard in my previous understanding.

Can’t wait to start exploring more of the cosmere groups and conflicts as the story progresses. 

Happy to help :D

The Worldhoppers are still background elements of the story and as such are easy to get wrong

Right there with you  

Edited by R J