Just emerged from chasm duty

Selesria

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Started reading the Stormlight Archive a couple years back, currently working through Mistborn.

I am simply amazed with Sanderson's books, like I could read them all day and sometimes actually do, ups, but they turned my mind just completely upside down. Honestly, don't think I've ever read books before these that have captured my heart and soul so completely. 

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and am honestly so looking forward to discuss everything Cosmere here because none of my friends have ever read or even heard of Brandon's books (kinda upset about that) but I am just in desperate need to talk to some people who appreciate his work as much as I do.

Have a great day :) 

Oh, difficult question but for Stormlight it's probably Kaladin, I just got really attached to him during the first book. Adolin is also a cool character though and I was very sad when Eshonai died.

For Mistborn, definitely shipping Vin and Elend a lot right now. I have to pace myself with the first book, waiting on the two other parts to get here ;)

How about you? Any favorites?

36 minutes ago, R J said:

Welcome to the Shard, @Selesria! Who's your least favorite character?

Thank you, i"m quite happy I signed up ;)

hmmmm....probably Moash and Amaram: I was most disappointed with Moash because I could be a good guy but he didn't do the right thing in my opinion and Amaram seemed like this hero and turned out not to be. Also it's really hard to have a least favorite character somehow because they're all quite well-written so I can kinda understand everyone and why they do what they do, it's difficult to find a character that I really do not like

What about you?

51 minutes ago, Mist said:

Vin is my favorite character. 

I prefer Surgebinding. I like how anyone could get it.

totally agree with you, Vin is a great character. Even though, I still haven't finished the first Mistborn book she's changed so much already. Quite curious as to what happens next to her.

And yes, i do like that "magic" system. It's interesting with the ideals, too, because you actually have to qualify for it and eventually anyone can end up with a connection to one of the orders.

8 hours ago, Selesria said:

Thank you, i"m quite happy I signed up ;)

hmmmm....probably Moash and Amaram: I was most disappointed with Moash because I could be a good guy but he didn't do the right thing in my opinion and Amaram seemed like this hero and turned out not to be. Also it's really hard to have a least favorite character somehow because they're all quite well-written so I can kinda understand everyone and why they do what they do, it's difficult to find a character that I really do not like

What about you?

Dilaf & Fjon the Derethi, Hashal & Matal the Bridgecrews managers, Ais the Trackt, Elhokar

Extremists, slavers & petty people in positions of power basically

What Cosmere power would you want, if you could choose?

@R J Why do you not like Elhokar? But I agree with that assessment, usually those are the least likable characters/

Since I love the SA probably Surgebinding, I'd probably want to be a Windrunner. Even though, I am intrigued by Ironpulling and Steelpushing I don't think I'd be able to be good at it. What would you choose?

2 hours ago, Selesria said:

@R J Why do you not like Elhokar? But I agree with that assessment, usually those are the least likable characters/

Since I love the SA probably Surgebinding, I'd probably want to be a Windrunner. Even though, I am intrigued by Ironpulling and Steelpushing I don't think I'd be able to be good at it. What would you choose?

He realized what he had done with Moash's grandparents and simply left them to rot out of embarrassment & exiled Roshone to Hearthstone.

He sentenced Kaladin to death for accusing a Lighteyes and then went on to keep him in prison despite Dalinar & Adolin's protests & the latter's subsequent sympathetic self-imprisonment.

He was just so uniquely unsuited for power yet born to it. The emerging Radiancy due to proximity to others with similar potential just made me angrier at him. Not wanting to continuously lie to oneself about their own incompetence is good but it hardly qualifies oneself for magical powers.

The drunkenness and Dalinar, Adolin, Navani & Jasnah's thoughts regarding his lacking governance skills didn't help

Or the fact that he declared the War of Reckoning, which went on for years.

If I could get any Cosmere power... any Surgebinding Order, or heck single Surge would do (as long as it's not Soulcasters). Can I say full Allomancy or Feruchemy

I'd probably chance a visit to The Nightwatcher too, despite everything

Would you be tempted to visit the Nightwatcher? (no need to mention the wish!)

41 minutes ago, R J said:

He realized what he had done with Moash's grandparents and simply left them to rot out of embarrassment & exiled Roshone to Hearthstone.

He sentenced Kaladin to death for accusing a Lighteyes and then went on to keep him in prison despite Dalinar & Adolin's protests & the latter's subsequent sympathetic self-imprisonment.

He was just so uniquely unsuited for power yet born to it. The emerging Radiancy due to proximity to others with similar potential just made me angrier at him. Not wanting to continuously lie to oneself about their own incompetence is good but it hardly qualifies oneself for magical powers.

The drunkenness and Dalinar, Adolin, Navani & Jasnah's thoughts regarding his lacking governance skills didn't help

Or the fact that he declared the War of Reckoning, which went on for years.

If I could get any Cosmere power... any Surgebinding Order, or heck single Surge would do (as long as it's not Soulcasters). Can I say full Allomancy or Feruchemy

I'd probably chance a visit to The Nightwatcher too, despite everything

Would you be tempted to visit the Nightwatcher? (no need to mention the wish!)

Oh yeah, kinda forgot about all the not so smart things Elhokar actually did. I'm in the process of relistening the whole SA...

I don't think I'd take that gamble. It might be nice to go and ask for whatever you want but I wouldn't want the cures to go with it.

1 hour ago, Selesria said:

Oh yeah, kinda forgot about all the not so smart things Elhokar actually did. I'm in the process of relistening the whole SA...

I don't think I'd take that gamble. It might be nice to go and ask for whatever you want but I wouldn't want the cures to go with it.

Impulse control, must be nice having that :P

Oh, you listen to audiobooks! Have you listened to Sixth of the Dusk? I love that in audiobook version! 

7 minutes ago, R J said:

Impulse control, must be nice having that :P

Oh, you listen to audiobooks! Have you listened to Sixth of the Dusk? I love that in audiobook version! 

I listen to them now, I've read the books the first time but decided to refresh my memory with ROW coming out so soon. ;)

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a listen. :D Always in need of new suggestions. Anything else you can recommend whether it be books or audiobooks?

On 5/29/2020 at 8:56 PM, Selesria said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a listen. :D Always in need of new suggestions. Anything else you can recommend whether it be books or audiobooks?

Hmm? Is there any particular type or theme or topic or genre/subgenre that you like or are looking for?

If you're looking for stuff similar to Sanderson then there's a lot of big name authors you could look into but I'll take the time to mention some online authors who've uploaded their (really high quality) content for free.

There's Worm, Mother of Learning, the Zombie Knight (you'll really like if you like chemistry & Philip Pullman), Ra, Unsong (best.first.chapter.ever!), Grand Design (space-faring dogs & AIs want to avenge humanity, the advanced space faring civilization that disappeared mysteriously), Deathworlders: The Kevin Jenkins Experience

Edited by R J

1 hour ago, R J said:

Hmm? Is there any particular type or theme or topic or genre/subgenre that you like or are looking for?

If you're looking for stuff similar to Sanderson then there's a lot of big name authors you could look into but I'll take the time to mention some online authors who've uploaded their (really high quality) content for free.

There's Worm, Mother of Learning, the Zombie Knight (you'll really like if you like chemistry & Philip Pullman), Ra, Unsong (best.first.chapter.ever!), Grand Design (space-faring dogs & AIs want to avenge humanity, the advanced space faring civilization that disappeared mysteriously), Deathworlders: The Kevin Jenkins Experience

Awesome, thanks so much. I'll definitely look into those.

How did you get into Sanderon's work? Did you just pick it up in a book store or did friends recommend it? And whats your favorite book or series?

15 hours ago, Selesria said:

Awesome, thanks so much. I'll definitely look into those.

How did you get into Sanderon's work? Did you just pick it up in a book store or did friends recommend it? And whats your favorite book or series?

Recommended to me with Garth Nix, whom I haven't gotten around to reading yet

I can't pick a favourite! In the Cosmere, it would have to be Emperor's Soul

On 5/30/2020 at 4:37 AM, R J said:

Recommended to me with Garth Nix, whom I haven't gotten around to reading yet

I can't pick a favourite! In the Cosmere, it would have to be Emperor's Soul

Fair enough, it's quite difficult to pick favorites. Do you have an all-time favorite book though whether inside Cosmere, outside or non-Sanderson?

@AonEne Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Indeed it is. My recommendation? Have a favorite author but a favorite book series that isn't by that author. My fav author is Sanderson, but my fav book series is Harry Potter. It's a helpful method if you want to confuse people.

That's smart. I should probably think about that ;) there are simply too many good books and there are very few that I don't like in some way or another. I loved Eragon when I was younger, recently did find a couple other good ones, though.