Huzzah!

Grenbot

Hello humans. I’ve been reading Coppermind off and on for the past year and somehow didn’t realize 17thshard was a thing????? Happy to be part of this community! The Cosmere has to be one of the absolute best universes created by any author!

I’ve read everything in the Cosmere, I think. I don’t know what my favorite book is....

I will say Elantris was the hardest for me to get into. I liked the idea of the naming scheme but the names themselves were just frustrating to read at first. 

I started with Wheel of Time a few years ago and when I finished and was craving a new book I looked up the guy that finished RJ’s works and dove into Mistborn. I think that the first Mistborn trio is my favorite just because it was my first foray into the Cosmere.

Oh jeez. Ok so absolute favorite: Hoid. Hands down. I love that everything is happening on so many levels: personal relationships, countries and planets, shadesmar/cognitive real, and between the shards themselves across time and space. Hoid is just there through it all, always where he needs to be. He’s basically The Doctor of the Cosmere. 

I have no characters I dislike, but my least favorite iiiiiiis Moash. I feel monotonous making that choice but I mean, come on. Moash is doing what he does but I just want him to do the right thing (or at least what I see as the right thing).

What about y’all?

3 hours ago, Grenbot said:

Oh jeez. Ok so absolute favorite: Hoid. Hands down. I love that everything is happening on so many levels: personal relationships, countries and planets, shadesmar/cognitive real, and between the shards themselves across time and space. Hoid is just there through it all, always where he needs to be. He’s basically The Doctor of the Cosmere. 

I have no characters I dislike, but my least favorite iiiiiiis Moash. I feel monotonous making that choice but I mean, come on. Moash is doing what he does but I just want him to do the right thing (or at least what I see as the right thing).

What about y’all?

Hoid is the man!  I love Szeth-Son-Son's story as well...but Dalinar in Oathbringer was incredible.  His emotional progress through pain was so well written.

I don't think there's a character I dislike reading, or even hate.  This is a harder one...Maybe Taravangian, that sneaky bastard.

Wow, you've read all the works in the Cosmere? @Grenbot

I accepted that as my new mission, about to spend a lot of money on books but that's ok ;) i don't really mind if I know they're good ones.

least favorite character for me would probably be Moash, too, he is probably the one character most people name...he just seemed like he could be a really good man and then all that happened...also Amaram was a little sketchy, in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, DalinarTD said:

Hoid is the man!  I love Szeth-Son-Son's story as well...but Dalinar in Oathbringer was incredible.  His emotional progress through pain was so well written.

I don't think there's a character I dislike reading, or even hate.  This is a harder one...Maybe Taravangian, that sneaky bastard.

OOOOOO!

I agree on all accounts. Dalinar’s arc was absolutely incredible. All the books were out already when I started reading, so I was able to read SA over about a month and a half (during summer break last year, barely put the things down!). 
I think Shallan’s journey of creating personas and losing her own identity was brilliant. Kaladin half the time I just wanted to shake and be like “hey man, Syl is REALLY COOL, why are you still sad?!?!” I like to think if I was befriending a Spren I’d be really happy. 

MOST looking forward to Rock’s future, if it really plays out.

6 hours ago, R J said:

Oi @Grenbot, I've got a hard one for you:

All the Shardworlds are getting destroyed, you can save only one, which one would it be? 

Oh man, this is both really brutally difficult and deceptively simple. My heart of hearts cries out “No! I will save ALL of them!” But then my mathematician brain takes over and does the following: 

**DEFINITELY SPOILERY**

Suppose all the Shardworlds ARE getting destroyed, then we can assume their pasts are in tact and everything that has been written by Brandon is still as is. I would easily let Sel crash and burn, we know that Elantrians can make it out. Nalthis, same thing. The only two that I would feel compelled to REALLY save are Scadrial and Roshar. Alas, it would have to be Scadrial... and here’s why:

Ok so if the Shardworlds are getting destroyed, that includes Braize where as of OB Odium currently resides, so let it burn to the ground. (On the other hand, Odiums existence has been an engine of change for the Cosmere... but that’s another discussion!) Honor has already been splintered and that leaves only Cultivation, really. The world would be destroyed AFTER RoW since it has already been written, so there’s still more to read there and I assume there will be enough radiants to get a number of humans/parshendi/etc into Shadesmar and have them all start walking toward the Expanse of Vapors. At that point, most beings would reside either in Shadesmar itself or on Scadrial. For the moment... We know that Allomancy will be a jumping off point for space travel, so if Scadrial is saved there are two prime benefits:

1) Space travel means all those other world inhabitants could eventually move off-world if desired and the Cosmere could be repopulated

2) Harmony. (I always saw Saru from Discovery when I read Sazeds parts... I cant be the only one, right? I think it was just how cautious he was and everything...) Anyway, Harmony! Once Harmony gets a handle on holding Pres/Ruin he will be able to crush Odium. It’s confirmed that he holds more power (he just cant really use it all that well yet). So, if Scadrial is the last surviving Shardworld then Harmony is the last surviving shard and we will get to see an ABSOLUTELY EPIC BATTLE between Odium and Harmony which I would be hundreds of dollars to see (literally cause I plan on buying every single book until then...)

So, long story short: save Scadrial and let the rest burn. 

I would love to move this to its own thread and see what everyone else thinks/feels about this! 

Oh man, Nightfall was great but my favorites of his are The Gods Themselves and, of course, the entire Foundation series. The whole idea of Psychohistory blew my mind and Asimov shot to the top of my favorite authors list at the time.

My favorite author is really a three-way tie between Brandon Sanderson, Isaac Asimov, and Hermann Hesse.

Some other faves are Vonnegut, Robert Jordan, Kerouac, Tolkien, and a whole lot more. What are some of yours?

Usually just whoever I happen to be reading or the big childhood favorites

From the former category: China Miéville, Guy Gavriel Kay & Richard Morgan

From the latter: Philip Pullman, Philip Reeve, Rick Riordan, Ursula K Le Guin, Darren Shan

I also devour so many YA books & original fiction & fanfics that if I really started to list them out, the site would glitch.

But these are the top dogs that I recently made time for or remember fondly

On 5/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, Grenbot said:

Ok so if the Shardworlds are getting destroyed, that includes Braize where as of OB Odium currently resides, so let it burn to the ground. (On the other hand, Odiums existence has been an engine of change for the Cosmere... but that’s another discussion!) 

I’m not actually sure if Braize getting destroyed would kill Odium. Hurt him, maybe, but Shards reside mostly in the Spiritual Realm. 

Welcome to the forums!