I think the vests were the other big reason we lost; literally the entire village except the mislynch candidates had vests by the end.

Also, I think the Archivist could be turned down a bit. When there's only a few players left, that ability is ABSURD. Maybe have the chance to repeat bits of information? So you could end up learning someone's role twice?

5 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

I think the vests were the other big reason we lost; literally the entire village except the mislynch candidates had vests by the end.

Also, I think the Archivist could be turned down a bit. When there's only a few players left, that ability is ABSURD. Maybe have the chance to repeat bits of information? So you could end up learning someone's role twice?

I didn't really get a chance to experience the Archivist ability, really, and I don't think I'm really knowledgeable enough about balance to comment, but I am curious; what were the sort of things that were options for the Archivist to learn?  Anything that any of the other info-grabbing roles in the game could learn?  Was there also some useless info mixed in?

1 hour ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Part of the annoyingness of the role was it was basically impossible to plan around, which defeats the whole spirit of SE. If the RNG was publicized, or there was actually useless information, that would make things better.

To be fair, in a rerun, I’d like to make the Archivist mechanic completely different. I would like to try and figure out how to make it work in a tapping/storing system. If I can’t, I am open to suggestions on how to improve it as it is. I do think the randomness of the Archivist ability is a bit hard to plan around. That’s part of the fun of random things like that, but randomness does tend to negatively affect the elims in situations like this. To be fair, alignment was specifically something the Archivist couldn’t find. @Young Bard handled all of the Archivist actions, and while I have a general idea of how he did it, he could probably explain it better than I could.

3 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Isn't that true for all scan abilities? It looks fine to me.

The other scan abilities are definitely better the Archivist one, with full control over whom you can target, like the Tineye scan. Yes, it becomes a little more useful when there are less people but it's nowhere near "absurd". It's the same with other scans as well, with lesser people to target near the end. It actually compensates for the useless information received in the earlier parts of the game. At least 4 times, I've received information that was worthless or something I already knew. It doesn't exclude inactives as well. I've got info like - "Emi didn't target anyone", "Magestar didn't target anyone", "Karnage did not take an action", and the likes. 

So including information you already know via Archivist seems unfair to me.  

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Young Bard handled all of the Archivist actions, and while I have a general idea of how he did it, he could probably explain it better than I could.

Sure. So, I made 2 rolls. First, I rolled to see which ability the Archivist would get, out of this list:

Role of [player]
Action [player] took
Who [player] targeted
PM's [player] is in
Who targeted [player]

Then, I'd roll for all the still-living players (players dying that turn were not in the list, due to the OoA), minus the Archivist themselves. So if I got "Action [player] took" and "Pyromancer", Shade would discover what action Pyromancer took that cycle. As for what happened with duplicates... I don't remember it coming up, tbh - for something like roles, I'd probably have rerolled it, but wouldn't have for any of the others, since they're dependent on the cycle.

For the probability of TJ discovering Mist's action that cycle, it was still pretty unlikely - it would have to have been "Who Mist targeted" or "Who targeted Mage", with "Action Mist took" being a slightly less incriminating variant. There were about... 6-ish people still alive at that point, IIRC, excluding TJ themselves, so it was about 1/15 or 1/10. However, TJ actually used his ability twice that cycle, due to a Nicroburst from Ash, meaning the probabilities jumped up to between 1/8 and 1/5, which got into "Unlucky but plausible" territory.

Obviously, some of this was more useful than others, though I wouldn't call any of it 'useless'. The PM's one probably wouldn't ever have been massively useful, but by luck of the RNG, I don't think TJ ever actually got that one. And yeah, we probably should have been specific and published how I was doing the Archivist rules, since it would have allowed people to plan and understand the mechanics better.

Edited by Young Bard

• 4 weeks later...

It's past time to lock this thread. Congratulations to the PRE Operatives for their win, despite having some really conniving elims to work against! Thanks again to Young Bard and StrikerEZ for GMing!

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: