Hoid and felt

Kelwynish

Question

So awhile back I thought I remembered hearing something on Shardcast saying Hoid and Felt are the same person... I couldn't remember who Felt was so I dug into him on Coppermind. Seemed unlikely but hey I'm a novice and they are the pros. So I moved forward with this understanding. Then a respected member of the community (karger? I think) corrected me a few days ago when I was saying they are one and the same. Am I losing my mind? Did I take something out of context? Any help or speculation is wanted please and thank you. 

3 answers to this question

Felt is definitely not Hoid, we have several WOB's confirming that he's a native Scadrian born not long before the Mistborn Era1 events.  Not sure what you may be remembering about a Hoid=Felt theory on the Shardcast, unless maybe it was part of their recent "Making fun of our old Theories" episode?

Questioner

You know Felt?

Brandon Sanderson

Felt, I know Felt.

Questioner

Is Felt originally Scadrian?

Brandon Sanderson

Yep... You guys know about that, right? I don't think that's a big secret. But, he is, and that should be raising other questions.

Questioner

About his name? Or how he's showing up on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

About that and the fact that-- He should stand out more.

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)

Questioner

Felt. Was he involved with Scadrial's atium pit mercantile system?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say, he was aware.

Questioner

How old is he? Was he born around first Era, or so?

Brandon Sanderson

Felt is a little older than that. Not a lot.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018)

Thanks! Those wobs definitely put a nail in the coffin of that theory! I'm relatively sure it was not the making fun of old theories episode bc I just listened to that a few days ago and I feel like I "heard" ( or severely misunderstood) this a few weeks ago. 

There's actually a bit more on Felt's background if you're interested:

Brandon Sanderson

Felt

Oh, and Felt gets a mention here. I don't know if you remember him from book one, but he was the spy who Elend sent to tail Vin one night and figure out who she truly was. He was loyal to house Venture, and Elend inherited Felt from his father when Straff fled Luthadel and left behind most of his servants and men.

A third son of a very minor nobleman, Felt is used to working for a living—something that does happen to a lot of nobility in this world, even if the ones you see most of the time are either too busy ruling, stealing, or going to war to bother with things like that.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Sept. 17, 2009)