First post! Question on Squires

Hello!  I found myself on this forum a lot searching up questions I had after reading and decided it was finally time to make an account!  I've read all of the Stormlight Archive and just recently got each book on Audible and am listening to them all before Rhythm of War comes out.  I am a HUGE Adolin fan - not often do you see a character who has it all, but isn't conceited and isn't jealous as everyone around him starts to surpass him.  I'm just finishing the first Mistborn trilogy...and wow I never thought I would find something better than The Stormlight Archive, but Mistborn may overtake it.

So, I had a question on Squires.  It's a question regarding your opinions on them?  Does it take anything away from the Knights Radiant to you that now nearly all of Bridge 4 has the same abilities as Kaladin and a few have even bonded spren?  Again, as a huge Adolin fan I always thought it was going to be unlikely he would become a Radiant, but if that moment ever did come I would lose it and probably shed some tears of joy.  Now with squires it went from unlikely to inevitable (still have hope he is the first to revive a dead spren).  The Stormlight Archive is nearly flawless for me, I just don't know if I can get behind a Knights Radiant losing that exclusiveness.  What are your guys thoughts on Squires?

First off, welcome to the shard! I love your name!

Now, to answer your question I like the squires. I think that it is good that the knights radiant are a lot less exclusive. I like that it allows you to have powers but not necessarily with a spern. Anyway I have never put much thought into it. 

Also what is your favorite book, character and magic system?

Welcome!

2 hours ago, BrightlordKelsier said:

has the same abilities as Kaladin and a few have even bonded spren

Not really.  Firstly their powers are much weaker.  Secondly I bridge four has done a lot of work to be where they are.  Finally we know their used to be thousands of radiants.  Pegging the total number of radiants at around 10 seems silly.

Edited by Karger

23 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

First off, welcome to the shard! I love your name!

Now, to answer your question I like the squires. I think that it is good that the knights radiant are a lot less exclusive. I like that it allows you to have powers but not necessarily with a spern. Anyway I have never put much thought into it. 

Also what is your favorite book, character and magic system?

Thank you! Favorite book is The Way of Kings - just love the Bridge Runs and it's what I talk about when trying to get my friends to dive into the Stormlight Archive.  Also the ending of the book was just incredible.  Favorite magic system is the use of Allomancy in Mistborn.  The battles between two mistborn are just incredible.  How about you?

19 minutes ago, Karger said:

Welcome!

Not really.  Firstly their powers are much weaker.  Secondly I bridge four has done a lot of work to be where they are.  Finally we know their used to be thousands of radiants.  Begging the total number of radiants at around 10 seems silly.

Didn't realize that there used to be thousands of Radiants!  I guess there only being 10 would be somewhat strange, just hoping the squires maybe can't swear all the ideals, or aren't as strong, or even need to be near the "main" Radiant in order to have these abilities.  I know that's what the rumors suggest, hoping that's true!

1 hour ago, Shard of Reading said:

and magic system?

aww, you stole my question...

Ahem

Welcome to the Shard!

Revelant WoB for the squires question: 

Argent

There is a person on the forums who noticed that Shallan has this awesome Memory thing going on, Jasnah seems to have a really powerful, kind of, geolocation thing going on, Kaladin is a really good fighter - are those just their traits, or is there something supernatural going on?

Brandon Sanderson

There is something supernatural going on. Each Order... Well, how about this. If you look at the scholar interpretations, there are some scholars who think that these things are not supernatural, in the past, and some who said they definitely are. But many, if you look, many Lightweavers had powerful mnemonic abilities.

Argent

So it's definitely tied to the Orders?

Brandon Sanderson

It's tied to the Orders. Now, I am not going to say that you've got them all 100% correct, but each Order, there are things that come with Order, things that do not add up from simple the "you get this power plus this power," there is something else going on. And I would say that for Windrunners, watch the number of squires and the power of the squires... is abnormal for the Windrunners.

Argent

And each Order's squires are somehow different from the other Orders'?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeeeaaaah... some Orders don't have them, [that] is the difference.

Argent

But some have more?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

Have you read other cosmere books? If not, I recommend Elantris and Mistborn Era 2 highly (for starters :D)

1 hour ago, BrightlordKelsier said:

a few have even bonded spren?

After they bond spren, I don't think that they are referred to as Squires anymore. so the capping at 10 that Karger refuted has already been proven to be false

Edited by GoWibble

Welcome to the Shard!

I like to think of Squires as a tactical boon to their Radiant, rather than taking away from their exclusivity.  The squires are entirely reliant on a Radiant being nearby to keep their Windrunner powers, so they are not perfect replacements for a full Windrunner.  They also do not get blades or plate, so they will always have that vulnerability.  It's also worth noting that Windrunners are a little bit of a special case with squires in that their unique Surge resonance manifests as them gaining significantly more squires than the average order.  So we wont be seeing nearly as many say, Lightweaver Squires running around, and we've been told there are some Orders that dont gain squires at all.  Windrunners will have an advantage over the others in terms of shear number of Surgebinders they can bring to bear, but it will always be tied to a framework of full Radiant leadership.

5 hours ago, Quantus said:

They also do not get blades or plate

Somehow the Radiants get plate...

I want to have Szeth in Plate that he can dismiss. that sounds awesome. that and using division  

Edited by GoWibble
"they" was confusing

1 hour ago, BrightlordKelsier said:

Didn't realize that there used to be thousands of Radiants!  I guess there only being 10 would be somewhat strange, just hoping the squires maybe can't swear all the ideals, or aren't as strong, or even need to be near the "main" Radiant in order to have these abilities.  I know that's what the rumors suggest, hoping that's true!

Squires are not as strong and don't get blades or plate.  The strength difference is less noticeable with bridge four because Windrunner squires are stronger then most but Nale for example leaves the squires behind on a mission because they leak stormlight too much.  Also Windrunners get more squires then normal.

5 hours ago, GoWibble said:

Somehow they get plate...

Squires don't get Plate and full Radiants don't get it until they've sworn a few of their Ideals. We know for certain that Windrunners don't get it until their Fourth Ideal but it might be different for other orders. That still requires a Nahel Bond though, so squires need not apply.

18 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Squires don't get Plate and full Radiants don't get it until they've sworn a few of their Ideals. We know for certain that Windrunners don't get it until their Fourth Ideal but it might be different for other orders. That still requires a Nahel Bond though, so squires need not apply.

Oops. I didn't clarify when I said they... I was talking about the full Radiants there

8 hours ago, GoWibble said:

aww, you stole my question...

Ahem

Welcome to the Shard!

Revelant WoB for the squires question: 

Have you read other cosmere books? If not, I recommend Elantris and Mistborn Era 2 highly (for starters :D)

After they bond spren, I don't think that they are referred to as Squires anymore. so the capping at 10 that Karger refuted has already been proven to be false

Almost done with the first Mistborn trilogy, about halfway through Hero of Ages (love this trilogy)

10 hours ago, BrightlordKelsier said:

Almost done with the first Mistborn trilogy, about halfway through Hero of Ages (love this trilogy)

As much as I love MB era 1, era 2 is so much better. the second series is 300 years later and *spoiler* Vin and Elend aren't in it, but you'll learn to love Wax and Wayne in Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and Bands of Morning