Reporting for bridge 4!

gojiro0

Hey all, glad to be here! I am presently listening to Words of Radiance, again. I was so stoked to hear that the next book is so close I decided to refresh everything in my mind. This is such an amazing series but it is hella complex and detailed. I've re-read/listened every time there is a new installment and I feel like I've gained new insight every iteration. I have absolutely loved the Audible versions of this series but I'm curious if anyone has feelings one way or the other? Can't replace the written word but srsly I can't imagine Pattern without hearing Kate R. going "MMMmmmMMMMmm".

12 minutes ago, gojiro0 said:

Can't replace the written word but srsly I can't imagine Pattern without hearing Kate R. going "MMMmmmMMMMmm".

I agree that is now an important part of him in my mind.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, gojiro0 said:

Hey all, glad to be here! I am presently listening to Words of Radiance, again. I was so stoked to hear that the next book is so close I decided to refresh everything in my mind. This is such an amazing series but it is hella complex and detailed. I've re-read/listened every time there is a new installment and I feel like I've gained new insight every iteration. I have absolutely loved the Audible versions of this series but I'm curious if anyone has feelings one way or the other? Can't replace the written word but srsly I can't imagine Pattern without hearing Kate R. going "MMMmmmMMMMmm".

Haha nice, I am listening it right now, too. Great minds think alike ;)  The audiobooks are good, I needed some time to adjust to the voices, just sounded different in my mind when I read them myself but they are certainly good. Plus it's nice to listen to such an epic while going about your daily business. I still love the feeling of the book in my hand, though, and reading the scene for myself. There is just so much power in it.

So excited for the ROW!!!

On 5/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, FantasyFanatic said:

Hello and welcome! Do you have a favorite Cosmere character? 

During this re-reading (getting ready for the new book!) I'm actually most fascinated with Taravangian. His particular gift/affliction pairing is really quite heavy and thought provoking. He's not a main character of course (well, on screen at least) but I find myself musing on his character quite a bit. Curious what others think.

On 5/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Mist said:

Welcome!

What's your favorite book?

Have you read the rest of the Cosmere?

I've read most of the books in the cycle but I think for me it might be a toss-up between "The Final Empire" and "The Way of Kings". I haven't read "Warbreaker" or "Elantris" in a long time but I remember really liking both of them too.

1 hour ago, gojiro0 said:

During this re-reading (getting ready for the new book!) I'm actually most fascinated with Taravangian. His particular gift/affliction pairing is really quite heavy and thought provoking. He's not a main character of course (well, on screen at least) but I find myself musing on his character quite a bit. Curious what others think.

Oh I know what you mean...Been trying to figure out all the information about his diagram, wish we could actually read/see a couple of those pages in the book. I like that he was actually "good" enough to make those math problems for himself so he wouldn't kill half of the population just because it is a solution. I'm sure we'll see more of him in the upcoming book.

53 minutes ago, Selesria said:

Oh I know what you mean...Been trying to figure out all the information about his diagram, wish we could actually read/see a couple of those pages in the book. I like that he was actually "good" enough to make those math problems for himself so he wouldn't kill half of the population just because it is a solution. I'm sure we'll see more of him in the upcoming book.

Right? I love picturing what his drawing room looked like. I especially liked the bit where he ran out of room so just wrote over the same line again and again thinking that it would be easy enough (for his exalted mind) to pick them apart but it ended up taking a team of scholars years to tease them apart.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:23 PM, gojiro0 said:

Right? I love picturing what his drawing room looked like. I especially liked the bit where he ran out of room so just wrote over the same line again and again thinking that it would be easy enough (for his exalted mind) to pick them apart but it ended up taking a team of scholars years to tease them apart.

Maybe we might get to see a couple of the excerpts at some point....Also those random rows of numbers that showed up; is there a code to them? Or what do they mean? I feel like there is so much that we don't know at all about his great plan.