How powerful is Hoid?

Wind

Question

So Hoid is not a shard, that's always made me think, what can he do. Hoid has an assortment of powers but I have a feeling we don't know of them all, for example Hoid is both a mistborn and a light weaver but when Yasna threatened him with a shard blade he said that he doubted it could kill him, but from what I know with only the powers he has, a shard blade would still be very deadly. So from what Hoid implied he is much more powerful then we know, so that raises a question what are those powers and also where would Hoid fall on the power scale, he would come up higher then a radiant and an allomancers for sure but would he be higher lower or equal to a shard? Could Hoid be more or just as powerful as Adonalsium?

4 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, A Windrunner said:

So Hoid is not a shard, that's always made me think, what can he do. Hoid has an assortment of powers but I have a feeling we don't know of them all, for example Hoid is both a mistborn and a light weaver but when Yasna threatened him with a shard blade he said that he doubted it could kill him, but from what I know with only the powers he has, a shard blade would still be very deadly. So from what Hoid implied he is much more powerful then we know, so that raises a question what are those powers and also where would Hoid fall on the power scale, he would come up higher then a radiant and an allomancers for sure but would he be higher lower or equal to a shard? Could Hoid be more or just as powerful as Adonalsium?

This is the correct thread but now you have a double post.  This is generally frowned on.  In the future you can ask a mod to move your post.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

We do not know the full extent of Hoid's powers.  He mentions during OB that he has some healing abilities(he had to suppress them to make the beating he took stick) and he also has Yollish Lightweaving(we don't know what that is really just that he has it) and at least the first heigtening(breath from Warbreaker).  He also attempted to gain feruchemy during the mistborn trilogy but we don't know if he was successful or not.

Hoid could probably not become as powerful as Adonalsium was.  To do so he would need to get all the powers possessed by the shards and unite them into one.  This is theoretically possible but it would require defeating some really powerful beings.  Also if he wanted to he could have started with 1/16 of the power he needed but decided not to.

Paladin Brewer

We know that Hoid was offered a Shard and turned it down. Was he offered a specific Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

He was. There is one of the Shards that he would've-- yeah.

Paladin Brewer

Would he have been the 17th person or did someone take his place?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Someone took his place.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

Hoid is almost certainly less powerful than a shard, though he very well may be smarter than a few of them.  put simply, i doubt that there is anyone other than a shard who could actually beat him, though Hoid also can't hurt people, so he can't exactly beat anyone else either.

In addition to what has already been listed, didn't he bond with Elokar's spren at the end of OB, in doing so becoming a Lightweaver himself on top of everything else, as was listed in the question (duh), but will reference it in consideration for other's answers.

Edited by Purple

I'm locking this thread in favor of the one in Cosmere Discussion. (I could leave this one up instead rather than the Cosmere Discussion; just let me know. All's good!)