Why did Hoid... (Oathbringer spoilers)

Why did Hoid bond with a Cryptic beyond it being a convenient spren to get due to Elhokar's death? You'd think he's try to bond an Inkspren since he already has lightweaving (Yolish Lightweaving, yes, but still lightweaving), and being an Elsecaller would give him a convenient means to jump between Realms since, as far as I'm aware, he currently doesn't have an innate way to go between Realms so he has to rely on the Perpindicularities, and it would be far more convenient for him to have some sort of ability to let him do it himself.

Because Wisdom isn't exactly Hoid's strong suite. Lying on the other hand. That's his bag. Not to mention Lightweavers have an easier path to follow than other orders as far as sticking to their oaths. Their path is one of self-understanding. Wit's free to explore who he is, at his age he' s unlikely to massively change. 

Lightweavers oaths are not lies. They're absolute truths about a person they can no longer deny. 

If he went for Elsecaller he'd have to devote himself to a search for Wisdom. We don't know what those oaths are, but I imagine they involve a lot of time spent studying that Hoid has to spend travelling to where he's needed and working that out. 

Edited by Aminar

Hoid might have not only done it for power he might have wanted to do it just because of the spren like how Kaladin wouldn't change orders even if he wanted different powers because of his connection to the spren. Also it might be like duralumin making his light weaving powers greater.

It was because his Yolish Lightweaving wasnt fully functional after the shattering and the Rosharan Lightweaving is the closest to the Yolish variant

So he can now do more with Lightweaving now that he has both forms

in OB(before he bonded his spren)he needed Shallan to help him fully create the Wandersail illusion(i think it was wandersail?)

Stormlightning

If Hoid could have picked to join any order of the Knights Radiant, regardless of the Oaths he had to swear, just the powers, would he have picked Lightweaver?

Brandon Sanderson

He would have.

Stormlightning

Tell me more!

Brandon Sanderson

Lightweaving matches him very well, he's quite familiar with it and experienced with it. He's very good at using it and he likes it.

It's the fulfillment of a long, long quest of his to finally get full access to Lightweaving.

Stormlightning

Even though he had some sort of Lightweaving?

Brandon Sanderson

He did have some sort of, yes. He's a very very happy Hoid.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 7, 2018)

—————————————————————

Stormlightning

Where you *inaudible* Hoid as a Lightweaver in Era 2?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid was a Lightweaver in Dragonsteel.

Stormlightning

I mean a spren Lightweaver. Unless the timeline's still, really--

Brandon Sanderson

Meaning was I planning for him to become a Lightweaver?

Stormlightning

Before Era 2 since we thought Era 2 was going to be Era 3.

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid has never quite stopped being a Lightweaver. He is very happy to be fully empowered with things.

Stormlightning

Does that mean he was not fully a Lightweaver?

Brandon Sanderson

You will find out someday. His magic was not fully functional, but he was Lightweaving in Way of Kings

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Edited by Eternal Khol

Questioner

So Hoid has a Cryptic.

Brandon Sanderson

It is heavily implied that Hoid is trying to get this Cryptic to--

Questioner

And Soulcasting in some sense or another transports someone into Shadesmar. So does he no longer need a perpendicularity?

Brandon Sanderson

So, Hoid has been breaking certain rules along those lines for a long while. I guess he's not breaking any actual rules... He has found, by Stormlight, to do things in ways that others are not using. How about that?

Questioner

That is excellent.

Brandon Sanderson

He is looking forward to having a spren bond that will make things like this easier...

And, audio recorder, that one is not quite canon yet. The one about Hoid.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)