New and storming excited

DuffMcGruff

Hey fellow Worldhoppers! I'm DuffMcGruff and I am stoked at finding this forum. "Quick" intro, I discovered the Cosmere about 7-8 months ago and have since become obsessed. I read everything available in about three weeks. Needless to say I am now 100% a fanboy. I actually discovered Brandon Sanderson in a roundabout way. I was on Youtube one day, deep into the rabbit hole, and I came across a Shadiversity video about how to write a novel. In it he mentions the BYU classes. Now I never really wanted to be a writer but for some reason I decided to check out the BYU videos. I was instantly attracted to Brandon's personality. I decided that I would pick up writing as a hobby after a few videos and figured I should read a few of his books first so I googled his order of publication. This led me to read Elantris, then Mistborn era one and two. As much as I would love to claim that i noticed the Cosmere really fast and prove how smart I am, I didn't suspect anything until Wax and Wayne 3. It was then I did what we all I'm sure have done and googled "Who is Hoid". Once i found out that it was a connected universe I became truly obsessed. I don't have any IRL friends to talk about Cosmere stuff with so long story short, I need new friends. What's the point of IRL friends if they haven't read the Cosmere? Anyway, Time to spend the next few days obliterating everything on this forum.

36 minutes ago, Mist said:

Welcome! What's your favorite book? 

Boy that's a tough one. The cosmere as a whole is what really does it for me, but that's a cop out reply. Stormlight is my favorite storyline so far, so if I have to choose it will be one of those. I guess with a gun to my head I'd say as a whole Words of Radiance, but Dalinar is my favorite character so Oathbringers flashbacks are my favorite and WoK Bridge Four is my favorite arc...    

7 minutes ago, Emi said:

Hi, @DuffMcGruff, welcome to the shard!

On what cosmere planet would you like to live?

Sel, if I get to be from Arelon. Two reasons. Number one, It's the safest place to live. Two, I have a small chance of becoming an Elantrian thus allowing me to live forever and travel anywhere in the Cosmere via the Tia Aon.   

1 minute ago, R J said:

Welcome to the Shard @DuffMcGruff!

What are your favourite Orders of the Knights Radiant, also Allomantic and Feruchemical metals?

Who's your favourite and least favourite character so far? 

Radiant Order: I'll go with Edgedancer, Because they are awesome

Allomantic Metal: Cadmium. If I had this Metallic Art i could cut down time between Cosmere book releases

Feruchemical: Copper, so I wouldn't need to google all the names of Investiture to answer this question.

Favorite character: Dalinar, I think he is the most imporant cosmere character in the grad scheme of things, I am convinced he is central to the endgame of the cosmere 

Least favorite: Trick question, I could only dislike a poorly written character and there is no such thing in the Cosmere. (Yes, I am aware that Brandon is by no means a perfect author as no one is, but my fanboyness blinds me to any and all flaws and if anyone points one out I will make up an elaborate excuse as to why "Ackchyually it is the genuis of Brandon to write that way and you have to have a high I.Q to understand the nuance of... (continues in big brain for several paragraphs)"      

13 hours ago, DuffMcGruff said:

I don't have any IRL friends to talk about Cosmere stuff with so long story short, I need new friends. What's the point of IRL friends if they haven't read the Cosmere?

11 hours ago, DuffMcGruff said:

Least favorite: Trick question, I could only dislike a poorly written character and there is no such thing in the Cosmere. (Yes, I am aware that Brandon is by no means a perfect author as no one is, but my fanboyness blinds me to any and all flaws and if anyone points one out I will make up an elaborate excuse as to why "Ackchyually it is the genuis of Brandon to write that way and you have to have a high I.Q to understand the nuance of... (continues in big brain for several paragraphs)"      

:lol: 

Welcome to the Shard! 

21 hours ago, DuffMcGruff said:

What's the point of IRL friends if they haven't read the Cosmere?

I have schooled my friends on the Cosmere. My employees. Anybody who cares to listen. I don't want to lose my IRL friends, but I just want to help them, see? :ph34r:

Thankfully, I do have an IRL friend here in @skaa. We will party soon, my friend. 

---

If you would recommend a Sanderson book to someone who has never read his work, what would it be and why?

5 hours ago, Quitecontrary said:

If you would recommend a Sanderson book to someone who has never read his work, what would it be and why?

I typically recommend Final Empire as a starting point because first era is done so they can see a full arc play out and get a great sense for Sandersons style. I have one friend that's a fantasy snob and he started on WoK first to prove how good at fantasy he is.