Finally leaping the lurker chasm... Hello :)

5 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Welcome!

How long have you been lurking and what made you finally decide to jump?

I'm a waffles person myself but I love croissants too, especially the chocolate filled ones.

Hi!

Thank you for welcoming me :) 

Lurking for about 6 months, though casually. I was restraining myself as I told myself that as much as I loved the Cosmere I didn't necessarily want to get too sucked into the rabbit hole.

I was a fool. I am positively deep in the rabbit hole and wanted to participate in the discussion, theorize and honestly be able to talk to people who have the same interest. Particularly now, as RoW and the novella approach.... the hype is real and I definitely want to be here for that!

P.S. Waffles are amazing, particularly the fluffy Belgian ones though I prefer my croissants with cheese :)

3 minutes ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

I was a fool. I am positively deep in the rabbit hole and wanted to participate in the discussion, theorize and honestly be able to talk to people who have the same interest. Particularly now, as RoW and the novella approach.... the hype is real and I definitely want to be here for that!

Once you get your feet wet, there's no stopping you. This is a very very deep rabbit hole.

I checked your profile, and I must say demmm girl, love the contrast of Pokemon/Cosmere and whisky/classic Rock *giggle. Single Malt, I hope? I'm a scotch snob. I cross blended whisky drinkers off my party list.

1 minute ago, Quitecontrary said:

Once you get your feet wet, there's no stopping you. This is a very very deep rabbit hole.

I checked your profile, and I must say demmm girl, love the contrast of Pokemon/Cosmere and whisky/classic Rock *giggle. Single Malt, I hope? I'm a scotch snob. I cross blended whisky drinkers off my party list.

I think that's the problem! I got my feet so wet I ended up waddling into a perpendicularity :D

I am indeed a single malt kind of girl: smoky and Scottish are my weakness.

5 minutes ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

I think that's the problem! I got my feet so wet I ended up waddling into a perpendicularity :D

I am indeed a single malt kind of girl: smoky and Scottish are my weakness.

Yayy! You're officially on my party list. I have a love affair with Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I don't really drink much, but if you put down even just a shot of this in front of me, I'm gone. Elsecalled to my little plot of Laphroaig land.

The idea of anyone waddling into perpendicularity is the funniest thing I've heard all day. EDIT: Upvote for you!
And I just came back from my own birthday party. Needless to say, they won't get this.  

Edited by Quitecontrary

8 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Yayy! You're officially on my party list. I have a love affair with Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I don't really drink much, but if you put down even just a shot of this in front of me, I'm gone. Elsecalled to my little plot of Laphroaig land.

The idea of anyone waddling into perpendicularity is the funniest thing I've heard all day. EDIT: Upvote for you!
And I just came back from my own birthday party. Needless to say, they won't get this.  

Oh wow! Happy birthday! Hope it was a wonderful day.

I recently finished a delicious 15y Dalwhinnie, and your mention of the Laphroig is an excellent suggestion for my next purchase. When I do, rest assured I shall cheer to you.

Thanks for the upvote! This is one of the things that made me join: wanting to make Cosmere jokes!

Oh wow! Happy birthday! Hope it was a wonderful day.

I recently finished a delicious 15y Dalwhinnie, and your mention of the Laphroig is an excellent suggestion for my next purchase. When I do, rest assured I shall cheer to you.

It was EPIC. For a quarantined birthday party, my friends were able to throw quite a surprise, complete with a sweet sweet sound board. And a pool party the next morning to try and wash away the after effects of the night before. 

Ooooh, that is classic whisky, quite delicate and has that very slight sweetish note that reminds of an Auchentoshan 18yr. When you buy your Laphroaig, you get this certificate for a plot of land and if you visit it one day, you get a dram of whisky as "rent". I've been collecting my little certificates and I imagine that my plot of land rests next to Sean Connery's.

Have you taken that quiz? I always wished I could Elsecall, but apparently my values determine me as a Windrunner. Ha, fancy that. 
I will protect even those I hate, even if they drink blended whisky.

10 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Have you taken that quiz? I always wished I could Elsecall, but apparently my values determine me as a Windrunner. Ha, fancy that. 
I will protect even those I hate, even if they drink blended whisky.

Oof. That's Teft-level hard to swear for an Oath.

I have not taken a Radiant quiz....where can I find it? :)

Awesome that you had such a wonderful birthday, I don't know you but given your taste in Whiskey I can say with absolute certainty you deserved it.

13 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Ooooh, that is classic whisky, quite delicate and has that very slight sweetish note that reminds of an Auchentoshan 18yr. When you buy your Laphroaig, you get this certificate for a plot of land and if you visit it one day, you get a dram of whisky as "rent". I've been collecting my little certificates and I imagine that my plot of land rests next to Sean Connery's.

Ohh thanks for the tip! This sounds like the start of my own collection

4 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Welcome to the Shard! I have to agree that croissants are delicious. Have you read all of Arcanum yet? :P 

Hi! And thank you for welcoming me:) Croissants are indeed delicious, I would love to see Lift try a fresh-out-of-the-oven buttery croissant. She deserves it.

Yes! Read Arcanum a long time ago and also a couple of weeks ago as part of my pre-RoW re-read.  

Hi! And thank you for welcoming me:) Croissants are indeed delicious, I would love to see Lift try a fresh-out-of-the-oven buttery croissant. She deserves it.

Yes! Read Arcanum a long time ago and also a couple of weeks ago as part of my pre-RoW re-read.  

Ooh, her face... 

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant the website where Brandon’s WOBs are stored, not Arcanum Unbounded. 

Just now, AonEne said:

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant the website where Brandon’s WOBs are stored, not Arcanum Unbounded. 

Ohhh! Yes, I have... to an extent.

I can't say I have done a thorough job of it (there's so many!). Overall, I'm familiar with the "recent ones" (Oathbringer onwards) and the "famous ones" (the ones often brought up in reddit/forums/shardcast/videos). :)

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Any favorite bits of cosmere trivia?

:D I'm having a moment similar to when someone asks you "what is your favourite movie?" and you somehow manage to forget every single movie you've ever seen. Thanks, Brain. Cue Shallan-style blush. 

Overall I really like anything that is deep lore, magical mechanisms, Shards or unknown history. One that springs to mind is the one about Patji or the one about the mechanisms of the magic Silence Divine. 

I think one of the reasons I like the Cosmere so much is that I'm a lore person through and through and piecing together all these elements to make sense of the overarching story is so tantalising.

2 minutes ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

:D I'm having a moment similar to when someone asks you "what is your favourite movie?" and you somehow manage to forget every single movie you've ever seen. Thanks, Brain. 

Oof, I feel that. 

The disease magic system is one of my favorites, I think. Can’t wait to see it in a book someday :D 

1 hour ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

Hmmmm hard one.

The ones I "hate" (like Sadeas) are ones whose narrative purpose is to be hated, so I like them for their role fullfillment :P

I think for this one I'd have to go either with Gevin or Dilaf.

Dilaf I get, why Gevalden though? 

1 minute ago, R J said:

Dilaf I get, why Gevalden though? 

I am not sure if I should tag spoilers, so will do so just to be safe :) FYI I've only read the prose version

Spoiler

My dislike of Gevin is mostly in his role as a character and its depth rather than the character itself.

I've only read the prose, so not sure of this applies to the Graphic novels but he was really unfulfilling to me. I would have loved proper elaboration on how his world perspective changed, how he thought the poor should be helped, really and truly confronting Khriss about her priorities in the world order. I thought he had way more potential.

I also disliked his talk with Khriss in the sense that a) it seemed too rush. It was all "i cheated on you and laughed behind your back. Byeee!"

b )  seemed like a very stereotypical conflict between a man and a woman  and far too superficial for someone as awesome as Khriss. I hate that his words sent her into such a bad self-pitying hole that reinforces many toxic aspects of being a woman. I get that it was necessary for many aspects of the story, but it could have been done much better and since its Gevin that prompts this...then I dislike him by association  :D

To be fair, I think Serene struggled with similar concepts, but her struggle was much better written, more compelling to read and empathise with.