Blind Knights Radiant

Here’s something I’ve been considering since reading the Stormlight Archive for the first time, and I’ve been thinking about it even more since rereading it. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.
As my screen name says, I’m blind. I’ve been wondering how the mechanics of a blind Knight Radiant would work (healing by stormlight is an unacceptable answer in this case). Here are my thoughts on the plausibility of a blind person being a member of each of the orders, and why. I would appreciate additional input or insights anyone has to offer on this. This is a topic I haven’t seen discussed in the Cosmere community at all, so I want to be the one to start bringing it into the light.
Here is my list of all ten orders of Knights Radiant, how plausible I think it would be for a blind person to belong to each of them, and my reasoning behind my decisions.
Order of Windrunners (surges of adhesion and gravitation): I actually think this could be quite plausible if the radiant was progressed enough in their oaths. I think this because of how attuned Kaladin is to the winds at different points in the books. There are times when he seems to be able to anticipate what is about to happen around him through feeling the winds. This could be a huge asset to a blind Windrunner. This, combined with a possible clever application of lashings to sense when the blind Windrunner is getting too close to obstacles around them, makes me think that it would be quite possible for someone like me to belong to this order.
Order of Skybreakers (surges of gravitation and division): I think this is somewhat less plausible than a blind Windrunner. Since Skybreakers only have access to basic lashings. A blind person of this order would still be able to use a similar method of taking advantage of lashings to sense their environment. I don’t think a Skybreaker would have the same relationship with the winds that a Windrunner would though, so that would be a definite disadvantage. I don’t know enough about the surge of division to say much about how that would come into play for a blind person belonging to this order, but it could be an interesting factor.
Order of Dustbringers (surges of division and abrasion): I think this one is pretty implausible. I can’t think of a way that a blind Dustbringer would be able to use the surge of abrasion to get a feel for their environment. I guess they could just use the surge of division to destroy any obstacles in their path, but that sounds extremely dangerous and unwieldy.
Order of Edgedancers (surges of abrasion and progression): Like the Dustbringers, I think this is also pretty implausible. There are similar issues with me being unable to think of a way in which a blind Edgedancer could use the surge of abrasion to their advantage. They could always use stormlight to heal themselves after crashing into things, but again, that sounds impractical.
Order of Truthwatchers (surges of progression and illumination): I think this may be slightly more plausible than either the Dustbringers or Edgedancers. Assuming that Truthwatchers can use illumination to weave sound, a blind person belonging to this order would definitely be able to use that to their advantage, probably in ways most people would find unexpected. They could also use the surge of progression to great effect, similar to the two other Truthwatchers we’ve met so far in the books.
Order of Lightweavers (surges of illumination and transformation): I think this would be about as plausible as the Truthwatchers. A blind Lightweaver would be able to use the surge of illumination similar to what I mentioned before, and they could use transformation very effectively. They’d probably be limited to using transformation only when they could get their hands on whatever they’re trying to transform, but if I understand correctly, that wouldn’t be much more limiting than what most Solecasters have to do in order to transform things.
Order of Elsecallers (surges of transformation and transportation): I’m honestly unsure about this one, since we still know relatively little about what Elsecallers can actually do. A blind Elsecaller would definitely be able to use transformation similarly to how I explained earlier, but I don’t know how easy or difficult it would be for them to use transportation. I guess they could do it, as long as they had someone to guide them on the Shadesmar side.
Order of Willshapers (surges of transportation and cohesion): I know almost nothing about this order, so I’m very unsure of how plausible it would be for a blind person to become a Willshaper. I already explained how they could possibly use the surge of transportation, but I have no idea what the surge of cohesion does, or how a blind person could use it to their advantage.
Order of Stonewards (surges of cohesion and tension): I know even less about this order than I do about the Willshapers, so I can’t guess how plausible or not it would be for a blind person to become a Stoneward.
Order of Bondsmiths (surges of tension and adhesion): This one is very interesting to consider. I think it could be quite plausible under the right circumstances. I don’t know enough about the surge of tension to guess how it could benefit or hinder a blind Bondsmith, but I do know that they could use adhesion, especially spiritual adhesion, to great advantage. The one Bondsmith we know so far only uses spiritual adhesion to be able to speak other languages and boost the abilities of other Radiants, but I’d be willing to bet that a blind person of this order could find creative applications of this surge to assist them with different things. Again, I don’t know enough about the surge of tension to guess how a blind Bondsmith could use it.
This was quite interesting to consider. As things stand with my current understanding of the Knights Radiant and their powers, this is my current ranking of how plausible I think it would be for a blind person to belong to each order:
1. Windrunners
2. Bondsmiths
3. Skybreakers
4. Lightweavers
5. Truthwatchers
6. Elsecallers
7. Edgedancers
8. Dustbringers
9. Willshapers
10. Stonewards
Those last two are at the very bottom mostly because I know so little about either of them.
I love the Stormlight books a lot, and this is one way in which I try to insert myself into the story in a more meaningful way. 
This ranking is not set in stone, and is very likely to change with input and as we continue learning more about each order of Knights Radiant. Please let me know if I overlooked something in my considerations, or if there’s more information about the surges I know so little about.

3 minutes ago, Blind Radiant said:

They’d probably be limited to using transformation only when they could get their hands on whatever they’re trying to transform, but if I understand correctly, that wouldn’t be much more limiting than what most Solecasters have to do in order to transform things.
Order of Elsecallers (surges of transformation and transportation): I’m honestly unsure about this one, since we still know relatively little about what Elsecallers can actually do. A blind Elsecaller would definitely be able to use transformation similarly to how I explained earlier, but I don’t know how easy or difficult it would be for them to use transportation. I guess they could do it, as long as they had someone to guide them on the Shadesmar side.

How Shallan and Jasnah see Shadesmar could easily be based on magical senses rather then physical ones.  Same possibly with bondsmith abilities.  Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

Steel Inquisitors are physically blind because of the spikes.  They just see with allomancy

Other then that I think your list makes a lot of sense although I must point out that Spren don't care much about their bond mate's physicality.  For example Syl claims that her bond before Kaladin was to an old man who was unsuited to fighting(hence his death) so which order any blind individual gets will be based on temperament same as anyone else. 

20 minutes ago, Karger said:

How Shallan and Jasnah see Shadesmar could easily be based on magical senses rather then physical ones.  Same possibly with bondsmith abilities.  Mistborn spoilers

Hide contents

Steel Inquisitors are physically blind because of the spikes.  They just see with allomancy

Other then that I think your list makes a lot of sense although I must point out that Spren don't care much about their bond mate's physicality.  For example Syl claims that her bond before Kaladin was to an old man who was unsuited to fighting(hence his death) so which order any blind individual gets will be based on temperament same as anyone else. 

All of that is true. I actually didn’t consider the possibility of sensing Shadesmar with nonphysical senses.

This list was an exercise in speculation more than anything else. I’m sure that if a blind person bomded a Cultivationspren for example, the spren and the potential radiant would find a way to work together to make the blind person one storming awesome Edgedancer. :)

I think some of the Surges could be extra-sensory in nature, like Cohesion & Illumination which might allow one to map out their surroundings. I would assume same goes for Surges which can access Shadesmar, as that realm is more about perception than sensory organs. Gravitation could be used that way too maybe, but that would require ungodly amount of finesse  

10 hours ago, R J said:

I think some of the Surges could be extra-sensory in nature, like Cohesion & Illumination which might allow one to map out their surroundings. I would assume same goes for Surges which can access Shadesmar, as that realm is more about perception than sensory organs. Gravitation could be used that way too maybe, but that would require ungodly amount of finesse  

Hmmm. I didn’t really consider that for illumination and cohesion. @Karger also mentioned Shadesmar being less involved with the physical senses. I think the only time that wouldn’t be the case would be if someone traveled there in their physical body, like how an Elsecaller can. i’ll have to think about this more, and maybe edit my rankings.

As for gravitation, I explained a little bit about how I think it would work in the original post, but I’ll try to expand on it here.

At several points in the books, Kaladin feels as if the winds are surrounding him and guiding his movements to a certain extent. I think this unique relationship with the winds that a Windrunner has could, in some cases, almost act like some kind of echolocation, but using the air itself in stead of sound. This is why I don’t think a blind Skybreaker could do this as well as a Windrunner. Both have the surge of gravitation, but using that alone would take tons of practice, as you pointed out. It might be able to be done, but it would be a lot more difficult without the unique relationship with and assistance from the winds that a Windrunner has.

12 hours ago, Blind Radiant said:

Order of Lightweavers (surges of illumination and transformation): I think this would be about as plausible as the Truthwatchers. A blind Lightweaver would be able to use the surge of illumination similar to what I mentioned before, and they could use transformation very effectively. They’d probably be limited to using transformation only when they could get their hands on whatever they’re trying to transform, but if I understand correctly, that wouldn’t be much more limiting than what most Solecasters have to do in order to transform things.

They could pull a Toph and walk around barefoot all the time. That way they could keep their surges going (So long as they had stormlight) and be able to "Sense" what was around them. 

Also, Rennin used to wear glasses, but with stormlight they healed. On the flip side, Kaladins brands didn't go away. So would a blind Radiant just heal their eyes? I suppose that if they accepted themselves as blind they couldn't because of the way healing works in the cosmere.

24 minutes ago, Hentient said:

So would a blind Radiant just heal their eyes? I suppose that if they accepted themselves as blind they couldn't because of the way healing works in the cosmere.

Really depends.  A radiant born blind would probably not.

45 minutes ago, Hentient said:

They could pull a Toph and walk around barefoot all the time. That way they could keep their surges going (So long as they had stormlight) and be able to "Sense" what was around them. 

Also, Rennin used to wear glasses, but with stormlight they healed. On the flip side, Kaladins brands didn't go away. So would a blind Radiant just heal their eyes? I suppose that if they accepted themselves as blind they couldn't because of the way healing works in the cosmere.

There's some major differences in someone's self perception involved. Let's look at 4 potential categories. 

A: Someone with poor vision. 

B: Someone with poor vision who uses corrective lenses. 

C: Someone who became blind at an earlier point int heir life and has lived that way. 

D: Someone who was born blind. 

3 of these people are highly unlikely to have their vision change from stormlight. A, C, & D. Person B lives most of their life seeing as if they didn't have an impairment. So that's there self image. Person C might regain their vision. Persons A and D are highly unlikely to change. 

Lopen regained his arm because of something called Phantom Limb syndrome. A lot of people who lose a limb never fully accept the loss in the subconscious. They'll feel it long after it's gone. And Lopen is a little goofy in general where his self image is concerned. 

Point being, Renarin experienced life as if he had good vision, so his self image was as someone who could see. When he had his glasses off he didn't feel like himself. Much like how my wife will panic without her glasses. 

1 hour ago, Hentient said:

Walking around barefoot is an interesting idea.

Healing would greatly depend on how the person views themselves, as you said. 

35 minutes ago, Aminar said:

There’s some major differencesin someone's self perception involved. Let's look at 4 potential categories. 

A: Someone with poor vision. 

B: Someone with poor vision who uses corrective lenses. 

C: Someone who became blind at an earlier point int heir life and has lived that way. 

D: Someone who was born blind. 

3 of these people are highly unlikely to have their vision change from stormlight. A, C, & D. Person B lives most of their life seeing as if they didn't have an impairment. So that's there self image. Person C might regain their vision. Persons A and D are highly unlikely to change. 

Lopen regained his arm because of something called Phantom Limb syndrome. A lot of people who lose a limb never fully accept the loss in the subconscious. They'll feel it long after it's gone. And Lopen is a little goofy in general where his self image is concerned. 

Point being, Renarin experienced life as if he had good vision, so his self image was as someone who could see. When he had his glasses off he didn't feel like himself. Much like how my wife will panic without her glasses. Yes!

I buYes! I still have some vision, but I’ve never been able to see perfectly. If stormlight was to do anything for someone like me, it would only restore their vision to how it was when they were younger, and not to perfect vision, since that person had never experienced that. It’s all a matter of self perception.

Sorry if this is a huge mess. This site isn’t always easy to use with my screen reader. 

I actually hadn't thought through this very much, mainly because I figured a spren could and would pick anyone regardless of whether people thought it was a good idea or not so I just figured they'd work it out. But now I'm having all kinds of ideas. I've been lucky to have a brain with powerful mapping abilities and a level of automatic information gathering and processing that scares me sometimes which, contrary to the belief of a lot of sighted people I meet, is sadly not something we all have. Thinking about what I could do with different surges is a lot of fun.

I think this is also why I tend to relate to Brandon's nonhumans or heavily modified humans, as a side note. He points out differences in sensory systems, and then just leaves you to imagine them.

And because I think I missed your welcome post either that or you've been here a while lurking, hi, welcome! :)

If you want to compare accessibility notes or anything feel free to message me.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:13 AM, SingingMosaic said:

I actually hadn't thought through this very much, mainly because I figured a spren could and would pick anyone regardless of whether people thought it was a good idea or not so I just figured they'd work it out. But now I'm having all kinds of ideas. I've been lucky to have a brain with powerful mapping abilities and a level of automatic information gathering and processing that scares me sometimes which, contrary to the belief of a lot of sighted people I meet, is sadly not something we all have. Thinking about what I could do with different surges is a lot of fun.

I think this is also why I tend to relate to Brandon's nonhumans or heavily modified humans, as a side note. He points out differences in sensory systems, and then just leaves you to imagine them.

And because I think I missed your welcome post either that or you've been here a while lurking, hi, welcome! :)

If you want to compare accessibility notes or anything feel free to message me.

If this was actually happening on Roshar, the spren would pick the person to bond regardless of plausibility, and the radiant and their spren would have to be creative in how they did things. It’s definitely fascinating to consider. :)

Imagining the capabilities of modified humans and/or nonhumans is definitely lots of fun.

I’ve been here for about a month. I was introduced to the Cosmere only two months ago, but I already love it. There’s so much to it, and I feel like there’s always more to learn and get into.

I may take you up on talking about accessibility at some point. :)

On 5/31/2020 at 0:15 AM, Blind Radiant said:

If this was actually happening on Roshar, the spren would pick the person to bond regardless of plausibility, and the radiant and their spren would have to be creative in how they did things. It’s definitely fascinating to consider. :)

I’m loving this idea.  The “identity” of a blind person would not heal the eyes with Stormlight unless the blind person believes they should see.

I have a personal fondness for the stories of Zatoichi.   His skill was not in “seeing” his opponents but hearing them and feeling them move; but more importantly anticipating what a combatant would do against him.   Some of the best senses in life are understanding what the world is and flowing through it untouched by its rage.  Not being frightened or intimidated in a fight is greater than skill alone ( something our eyes can deceive us with )

Edited by XeGnome

I don’t see why it would matter. So long as they have the traits that attract the right spren, they can bond. You wouldn’t think a spren would bond with an old man about to die but syl did

5 minutes ago, Hentient said:

I don’t see why it would matter. So long as they have the traits that attract the right spren, they can bond. You wouldn’t think a spren would bond with an old man about to die but syl did

You don't think the ability to see matters to a Radiant? What job would be available to blind Rosharans? This is about people born blind, yes?

I believe Syls partner died in battle, not in his bed. I dont see that being old matters considering that stormlight magically invigorates you. 

14 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

I don't think a spren would choose a blind person to bond with

And why not? Is it because you think blind people are helpless and too broken to form a bond?

Spren bond with neurodivergent and/or mentally ill people, as well as people with other hardships, all the time. Why should bonding a blind person be any different?

I can’t imagine an Honorspren, for example, seeking out a human who has protective instincts, is a strong leader, etc. then upon realizing that person is blind, thinking, “Well storms. I can’t bond this person just because they can’t storming see.” 

That seems rather narrow minded to me.

I seperate emotional and mental instabilities from physical handicaps.

Who would a blind person be leading and protecting? I don't like to take charge but id be leading a blind person across the street, not the other way around,

1 minute ago, Nymeros said:

I seperate emotional and mental instabilities from physical handicaps.

Who would a blind person be leading and protecting? I don't like to take charge but id be leading a blind person across the street, not the other way around,

There are multiple types of leadership. You don’t have to be able to see to have charisma and a personality that others want to follow. There are also multiple ways to protect people. Again, you don’t have to be able to see to help people. Yes, some things would have to be accomplished differently, but I suggest that you get to know a blind person and see what they’re actually capable of before making overarching judgments like this.

51 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

I don't think a spren would choose a blind person to bond with

Your whole argument here is really funny to me, in a “not that funny and I’m surprised I’m seeing this” way. Correct me if I’m wrong, your point seems to be that blind people would not be able to help in the way that Radiants do, that they would be somehow useless and unable to find a job. I’m not sure why in the world you think that, considering that there are plenty of blind people here on Earth doing a crem ton of good, but okay. Let’s run through just a few non-battle examples from the canon that blind Radiants could help with: 

• person is dying. Radiant runs over and uses Progression 
  • city is broken from the Everstorm. Radiant helps rebuild it 
  • a diplomat is needed to talk with another country. Radiant goes and does so 
  • someone needs to talk about their problems. Radiant sits and listens 
  • an investigation is being held about a murder. Radiant assists in looking into it 

Five off the top of my head, and if I really thought about it it wouldn’t be hard to come up with a million more. Blind people not having that sense should be taken into account, but going “ah yes no blind person can be a Radiant because they can’t fight” is simply absurd. Spren would recognize that, and if they think this person fits their order, they’re not going to ignore a perfectly good candidate just because they’re blind

I just typed that as blond, lol. Yes, blond people, that’s totally what we’re discussing here. 

7 hours ago, Nymeros said:

You don't think the ability to see matters to a Radiant? What job would be available to blind Rosharans? This is about people born blind, yes?

Just because someone is blind, does not mean they are helpless. @Blind Radiant Im not trying to be insensitive, so forgive me if I am, but People that are blind cannot/mostly cannot see. Does this mean that they cannot hear? Can a blind person not talk through anothers problems, and help them through it? (If you ask me the Knights Radiant could use a therapist). Does being blind mean that they cannot feel? Do they not know what is around them simply because of their vision? Can a Blind man not smell? Taste? or Talk? Can they not Take in what is around them and react to it simply because they have one sense missing? 

Just because they are blind, does not make a person invalid. For anything it makes them stronger, for having to fight their way to everything they have. To have to face the endless pity and prove that they are worth it, even when they shouldnt need to. 

Some one that fights and struggles, and makes it work? that sounds Like a Knights Radiant to me. That sounds like someone that a spren would choose.

Do you think that spren care about blindness? Spren before the bond are unchanging. They do not have the bias that humans do, because they were not made that way. To a spren, Its not what you are given, but what you do with it that matters. 

What if Jasnah was blind? Do you think that would stop her from being the way she is? Analytical, and acts only after much thought (Which are the traits that attract an ink spren) Its who she is. Being blind would not change that. Yes she would be different in some ways, but her personality is still there, and Ivory would still have found her. for all we know she would have developed her own Rosharan Brail. 

The question is not whether or not a spren would bond with a blind person. Its what they would become after the bond is made.

Edited by Hentient

2 minutes ago, Hentient said:

Just because someone is blind, does not mean they are helpless. @Blind Radiant Im not trying to be insensitive, so forgive me if I am, but People that are blind cannot/mostly cannot see. Does this mean that they cannot hear? Can a blind person not talk through anothers problems, and help them through it? (If you ask me the Knights Radiant could use a therapist). Does being blind mean that they cannot feel? Do they not know what is around them simply because of their vision? Can a Blind man not smell? Taste? or Talk? Can they not Take in what is around them and react to it simply because they have one sense missing? 

Just because they are blind, does not make a person invalid. For anything it makes them stronger, for having to fight their way to everything they have. To have to face the endless pity and prove that they are worth it, even when they shouldnt need to. 

Some one that fights and struggles, and makes it work? that sounds Like a Knights Radiant to me. That sounds like someone that a spren would choose.

Do you think that spren care about blindness? Spren before the bond are unchanging. They do not have the bias that humans do, because they were not made that way. To a spren, Its not what you are given, but what you do with it that matters. 

What if Jasnah was blind? Do you think that would stop her from being the way she is? Analytical, and acts only after much thought (Which are the traits that attract an ink spren) Its who she is. Being blind would not change that. Yes she would be different in some ways, but her personality is still there, and Ivory would still have found her. for all we know she would have developed her own Rosharan Brail. 

The question is not whether or not a spren would bond with a blind person. Its what they would become after the bond is made.

This is a great arguement! I couldn’t have put it much better. Thank you.

Im just glad I wasn't too insensitive. 

Anyway, to lighten things up a little, im kind of obsessed with the idea of a blind knights radiant now, thanks to you. In Avatar: the last Airbender, toph, who is blind, can see with her earthbending, and so she walks around barefoot so that she is always connected to the earth. Thats what I imagine a Knights Radiant that can't see to be like. a total badbutt. They don't have to be a soldier. A medic would be an interesting dynamic. Though i'm more interested in the way the spren and radiant would work together.

Imagine a windrunner, who is falling through the sky. from the moment their feet leave the ground, they would have to have complete trust in their spren to guide them. 

Imagine the spren describing the world around them. How the sun seeps through the leaves of a tree. How the ocean waves crash on each other. How an Axehounds muscles strain and stretch as it runs. 

imagine the Radiant sneaking off and planning a spren party for her spren to celebrate their one year anniversary of being bonded. 

Thank you for giving my mind plenty of scenes to create :D

Edited by Hentient

21 minutes ago, Hentient said:

Im just glad I wasn't insensitive. 

Anyway, to lighten things up a little, im kind of obsessed with the idea of a blind knights radiant now, thanks to you. In Avatar: the last Airbender, toph, who is blind, can see with her earthbending, and so she walks around barefoot so that she is always connected to the earth. Thats what I imagine a Knights Radiant that can't see to be like. a total badbutt. They don't have to be a soldier. A medic would be an interesting dynamic. Though i'm more interested in the way the spren and radiant would work together.

Imagine a windrunner, who is falling through the sky. from the moment their feet leave the ground, they would have to have complete trust in their spren to guide them. 

Imagine the spren describing the world around them. How the sun seeps through the leaves of a tree. How the ocean waves crash on each other. How an Axehounds muscles strain and stretch as it runs. 

imagine the Radiant sneaking off and planning a spren party for her spren to celebrate their one year anniversary of being bonded. 

Thank you for giving my mind plenty of scenes to create :D

Omg I love imagining these things so much!!!! It makes me so happy!!!! I definitely want to try my hand at writing some of these scenes now! :D

To be clear, I'm not saying that it is impossible for a blind person to become a Radiant.

9 hours ago, Blind Radiant said:

There are multiple types of leadership. You don’t have to be able to see to have charisma and a personality that others want to follow. There are also multiple ways to protect people. Again, you don’t have to be able to see to help people.

You're right. I do not dispute any of this. In what capacity do you think a blind person may come into this position of leadership or attract followers? What about this person in this role would make them a more effective choice than a person with sight?

Yes, some things would have to be accomplished differently, but I suggest that you get to know a blind person and see what they’re actually capable of before making overarching judgments like this.

The only way I will get to know a blind Rosharan is if we meet one in the books. People on Roshar do not have the same accommodations that are available to you and me.

8 hours ago, AonEne said:

Your whole argument here is really funny to me, in a “not that funny and I’m surprised I’m seeing this” way. Correct me if I’m wrong, your point seems to be that blind people would not be able to help in the way that Radiants do, that they would be somehow useless and unable to find a job.

My apologies for the lack of comedic edge in my post. My point is that I don't think a spren would choose a blind person because a blind person would not be able to help in the way that a sighted individual can. As well,a blind person is less likely to be in a position attractive to a spren.

• person is dying. Radiant runs over and uses Progression 
  • an investigation is being held about a murder. Radiant assists in looking into it 

Five off the top of my head, and if I really thought about it it wouldn’t be hard to come up with a million more. Blind people not having that sense should be taken into account, but going “ah yes no blind person can be a Radiant because they can’t fight” is simply absurd. Spren would recognize that, and if they think this person fits their order, they’re not going to ignore a perfectly good candidate just because they’re blind

Of the examples you listed, the only that requires being a Radiant is the first. Also, blind construction workers? Blind investigators casing a crime scene? Be serious.

We all know that not all Radiants are warriors. It's stated clearly in the books and shown through those Radiants we see on screen. However, why would a spren choose a person with such a disadvantage as blindness over another individual? Doesn't a a spren want their Radiants to have access to the surges? How many surges can really be as effectively used by a blind person as a sighted person? One? Two?

Why would a person who is an advisor need access to other surges? Why not let this blind advisor continue as usual and grant the surges to some other worthy individual who can use them more efficiently?

2 hours ago, Hentient said:

Just because someone is blind, does not mean they are helpless.

I never indicated that they were.

Do you think that spren care about blindness?

Yes.

They do not have the bias that humans do, because they were not made that way.

Blind people having greater disadvantages than sighted people is not a matter of bias. It's a fact. Do you disagree with this?

What if Jasnah was blind? Do you think that would stop her from being the way she is?

What if Jasnah was born blind? She wouldn't be Jasnah. She would have had totally different life experiences and wouldn't be the person we read in the books.

12 hours ago, Nymeros said:

In what capacity do you think a blind person may come into this position of leadership or attract followers? What about this person in this role would make them a more effective choice than a person with sight? 

The same capacity as any other person. There is no reason why they wouldn’t attract followers. Heck, I’ve known @SingingMosaic for all of what, a month or two? But I’d follow them places. I am literally currently following them on the forums. Leadership has very little to do with sight, if anything at all. Certain positions can theoretically have to do with sight, but leadership in general could be just about anything, and there’s nothing stopping a blind person from having the personality and skills that would make them a good leader. 

My point is that I don't think a spren would choose a blind person because a blind person would not be able to help in the way that a sighted individual can. As well,a blind person is less likely to be in a position attractive to a spren. 

Why? Why are they any less likely to be attractive to a spren? Why would a spren care at all? 

Of the examples you listed, the only that requires being a Radiant is the first. Also, blind construction workers? Blind investigators casing a crime scene? Be serious. 

Those were all intended to be examples from the books that were Radiant-specific; I’m sorry if I miscommunicated. 

Like Dalinar did in Thaylen City. Sight is not required for that, but Surges are. 

You could potentially get anyone who’s good with languages, but a Bondsmith can magically Connect with people to learn them with much less effort, and can do it for any language. There’s also Transportation. Again, no need for sight. 

While you don’t (and shouldn’t) have to be a Radiant to do this, Radiants do have a position in society that could really help people, and the personality for it. It’s not all about the magic powers; the influence and the person’s attributes are vastly helpful too. 

Why do you think this idea isn’t serious? Do you think that anyone who is blind is also incapable of hearing, or gathering information, or talking to people, or thinking logically and putting stuff together? I’d be willing to bet they’d pick up tons of stuff we wouldn’t, because we’re focused on what’s in front of our eyes, and they’re getting info in other ways. 

However, why would a spren choose a person with such a disadvantage as blindness over another individual? Doesn't a a spren want their Radiants to have access to the surges? How many surges can really be as effectively used by a blind person as a sighted person? One? Two? 

Why would a spren choose to bond someone with depression? Or PTSD? Or some form of dissociative disorder, whatever Shallan has? Or someone who had an alcohol addiction in the past and could slip at any time? Or who has one arm? Or who is a young teenager who can’t read? Or who is on the autism spectrum and needs glasses? Because those. Things. Don’t. Matter. What matters is the type of person you are. That’s how these people are helping. They’re all doing it in different ways, and someone who couldn’t see would be no different. 

Also, as talked about in the original post, I’m pretty sure most of the Surges would be easily usable by anyone. They all take practice, and a blind person might often use them differently, but who’s to say that difference is bad rather than good? 

Why would a person who is an advisor need access to other surges? Why not let this blind advisor continue as usual and grant the surges to some other worthy individual who can use them more efficiently? 

Why does Kaladin need Surges? He was a fine fighter before he had them. Why not give the powers to a person without the deep grief he has for Tien, the flashbacks, the slavery brands? Surely a slave is in no position to help save the world. Why not give them instead to Sadeas, who can do much more from his status as a highprince? For the same reason, why would you give a simple soldier a Shardblade? Amaram has training with them, so he would be able to do more good. Right? 

I’m sure you can see how messed up most of that thinking is. Spren give powers based on who they think will make the best member of their order. Syl would never have bonded Sadeas. 

Blind people having greater disadvantages than sighted people is not a matter of bias. It's a fact. Do you disagree with this?

Of course I do. Some have greater disadvantages, some don’t. It all depends on what other advantages and disadvantages they and everyone else around them have. I’m sure there are plenty who can do way more than I can in life. 

What if Jasnah was born blind? She wouldn't be Jasnah. She would have had totally different life experiences and wouldn't be the person we read in the books. 

You don’t know that, and can’t unless Brandon confirms it. While different life experiences can drastically change people, it’s not a rule. Jasnah is very stubborn, intelligent, logical, not great with people, and loves history. There’s no reason why any of that would necessarily change if she’d grown up blind, and because she would most likely still have those core personality traits, Ivory would still bond her.