Honor's Perpendicularity

Odeem

I personally think that the stormfather manifests Honor's perpendicularity at specific points along the storm's path in order to keep it going as "scheduled."  This willing manifestation is what the stormfather is as well as how Honor manages to use him and explains why the heighstorms are so regular.  MB spoilers

Spoiler

This would make the storm itself something a lot more like the mists in Mistborn.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 10:13 PM, R J said:

The Highstorms are the biggest concentration of Honor's Investiture that we've seen, and that is how Perpendicularities form, when power pools. We've already got confirmation that Highstorms are Realmatically connected across all 3 Realms, again it matches the description of what Perpendicularities are: concentration of Investiture punching a hole through the Realms

I still don't believe it's the perpendicularity and I've been poking around in the WoBs when able to try and figure out one way or the other. I found this though: 

Questioner

Has stormwater tasted metallic always?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Even pre-Shattering?

Brandon Sanderson

Even pre-Shattering it would get a metallic taste, that's the crem. So. That is an indication of Investiture and things. But it was there-- it was in place first, before.

Oathbringer Chicago signing (Nov. 21, 2017)

And then:

coltonx9

Do the singers predate the highstorms?

Brandon Sanderson

The singers and the highstorms are-- The highstorms-- Let's say no. Trying to decide which one came first. They were created, right? But the highstorms were created as part of Roshar, as well. The highstorms predate humans arriving. Highstorms predate the Shattering of Adonalsium.

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

Which just makes me wonder if the Highstorms would've always charged spheres(Since the energy comes through Spiritual Realm through the Stormfather) and if it has always been a link between all three realms. I saw another one I lost on the page somewhere - that says the storms DID evolve after Cultivation and Honor arrived, but if the storm always had a concentration of all three realms, it wouldn't necessarily mean the storm itself is a perpendicularity, despite it being a concentration of power.

I think it's tied to the Everstorm. Perpendicularities tend to occur in places with a lot of solid/liquid investiture. Cultivation's perpendicularity is in the Horneater Peaks - perhaps hinting that Crem is tied to Cultivation. I have a feeling that Odium has hijacked some of Honor's investiture and is using it to recycle Fused (as the Everstorm).

On 5/24/2020 at 1:24 AM, RShara said:

Pretty sure Honor's perpendicularity is the highstorm, and that's why it moves.

I believe this has already debunked, I’m not sure...

This is what the Coppermind says:

What usually causes [Honor’s Perpendicularity] to appear or vanish is unclear, although it does not seem tied to the highstorms.

Edited by CosmereanAntelope

So the location for building Urithiru was said to be closest to Honor. Could it have been the location of his perpendicularity? Perhaps the oathgates where built over it and the way the gates work could be to temporary move it back and forth for travel?

5 hours ago, CosmereanAntelope said:

I believe this has already debunked, I’m not sure...

But even the article says that it's unclear, and the following statement is kind of a guess, is how it reads to me. And we see twice that when the Stormfather appears is when a sphere is recharged. How are spheres recharged if that's not a perpendicularity?

It makes as much sense to me that the appearance of the Stormfather isn't fixed and can happen at any point during the storm, making the perpendicularity erratic and hard to find.

Edited by RShara

To contradict my last post completely, what if honors perpendicularity is in solid form like we've seen on another cosmere planet. There are quite alot of mentions of the strata in Urithiru and the wind blades in Kohlinar. Either this is commonplace in all the stone in Roshar, or the blades were made from the rock removed from the mountain to create Urithiru. Eitherway the strata could be condensed investiture. The perpendicularity moving around the planets rock formations. Jasnah didnt surface in a pool, so being Roshar, she would have come through stone. 

On 6/16/2020 at 4:27 PM, RShara said:

But even the article says that it's unclear, and the following statement is kind of a guess, is how it reads to me. And we see twice that when the Stormfather appears is when a sphere is recharged. How are spheres recharged if that's not a perpendicularity?

It makes as much sense to me that the appearance of the Stormfather isn't fixed and can happen at any point during the storm, making the perpendicularity erratic and hard to find.

Questioner

I want to know if there was Stormlight before Honor.

Brandon Sanderson

So before Honor arrived there was a proto-version of the storms and a version of Stormlight. Yes.

Questioner

Okay, but it was different?

Brandon Sanderson

It-- Things were different.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

I just found this - which as I read it is you could've charged Spheres before Honor ever got to Roshar. As for how? No idea. But a previous WoB had said there'd always been investiture in the Highstorms, but apparently it's 'evolved' over the years.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:00 AM, CosmereanAntelope said:

I am actually going to edit that as no source was put in and I can't think of any reason that the statement would be true.

• 6 months later...
On 6/16/2020 at 4:27 PM, RShara said:

I don't see any reason why the two can't be related, but not the same thing.  The Cosmere is chock-full of things that are "similar but not the same" - it's one of Brandon's favorite answers.  Part of the fun is finding out that something we thought we understood is really just a small part of a larger whole.  I won't be surprised when we find that highstorms, perpendicularities, elsecalling, and other stuff we haven't even seen yet are all revealed to be manifestations of the same underlying mechanism of investiture moving between realms.

I just reread the "Jasnah returns form Shadesmar" scene in WoR - Wit asks her "couldn't you have elsecalled somewhere closer?"  This implies 1) she DID use elsecalling (or at least he thinks so), 2) while he knew where she was going to arrive, he thinks she could have done so other places as well.  Still not clear exactly what it means, though.

Edited by AquaRegia
tiny factual error fixed

20 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

I just reread the "Jasnah returns form Shadesmar" scene in OB - Wit asks her "couldn't you have elsecalled somewhere closer?"  This implies 1) she DID use elsecalling (or at least he thinks so), 2) while he knew where she was going to arrive, he thinks she could have done so other places as well.  Still not clear exactly what it means, though.

So is Elsecalling like a little personal perpendicularity? 

It always seemed like a different thing to me, because you can move both between realms and across one realm, like an Oathgate does.  

1 hour ago, MGershone said:

So is Elsecalling like a little personal perpendicularity? 

It always seemed like a different thing to me, because you can move both between realms and across one realm, like an Oathgate does.  

I certainly could be wrong, but I have the impression Elsecalling is VERY MUCH like a personal perpendicularity, although we have not (yet?) seen any connection to the spiritual realm.  I have not seen anything to indicate it can be used to move from place to place within a realm; after moving to Shadesmar to escape the assassins, Jasnah still had to spend weeks hiking to a safe place from which to return.  Granted, this remains the only onscreen example of Elsecalling we've seen... beware conclusions drawn from one data point.

9 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

I certainly could be wrong, but I have the impression Elsecalling is VERY MUCH like a personal perpendicularity, although we have not (yet?) seen any connection to the spiritual realm.  I have not seen anything to indicate it can be used to move from place to place within a realm; after moving to Shadesmar to escape the assassins, Jasnah still had to spend weeks hiking to a safe place from which to return.  Granted, this remains the only onscreen example of Elsecalling we've seen... beware conclusions drawn from one data point.

Good point. We do need more Elsecalls (Is that a word?)