How Invested are Yolish Dragons?

Dragonsteel is a substance that the Yolish Dragons seem to be able to produce naturally from their own bodies.

Dragonsteel also sounds awfully like a godmetal.

In the Dragonsteel chapters, the Sho Del apparently use it somehow in order to be able to reproduce and the short story, The Traveler seemed to imply that the substance could be used to view events happening on other Shardworlds (as Frost's eyes were rimmed with a silvery metallic sheen)

Dragons are also apparently naturally immortal and shape-shifters, which depending on their method of doing so sound like they could be Investiture intensive. The former is usually a result of holding a high concentration of Investiture. The latter is true shape-shifting, not illusory. Dragons are not like the Mistwraiths & Kandra with messed up Spiritual Identity and Cognitive blockage and fooling your sDNA regarding your species is no simple Forgery, this sounds like it should require a lot of Investiture.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:26 PM, PrinceGenocide said:

I always thought it was Adonalsium's Godmetal.

It could've been! It also naturally pooled in the Shattered Plains (which got cannibalized for The Stormlight Archive).

These WoBs make me think there's some merit to the idea:

Questioner

Does every Shard, of divinity so to speak, have a metal associated to it?

Brandon Sanderson

They all have at least one.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

muhkenzieb

Are there equivalents to god metals for Shards on planets other than Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)

Overlord Jebus

All the physical manifestations--solid physical manifestations we've seen of Investiture has been metallic. It's been atium, lerasium, Shardblades. Is that just a coincidence?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it's intentional.

Overlord Jebus

It's intentional so we're not going to see Investiture wood or Investiture plastic?

Brandon Sanderson

Right, I mean technically, like, what do you call the Aethers? Those are not metal. But I do it as metal intentionally.

Questioner

They could be a metal with very low boiling point.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, the vine ones are--

Overlord Jebus

Well we've had liquid, we've had gas, the solids all seem to be metallic, so.

Brandon Sanderson

That is intentional, it's just one of those little laws of the cosmere, that's not meant to mean anything

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

I know some people that aluminium might be Adonalsium's Godmetal but I don't think so. I think all Godmetals would be mythical substances, by which I mean that they won't be real world substances 

On 5/25/2020 at 8:26 PM, PrinceGenocide said:

Maybe it allows u to access the spiritual realm optically and see distant events , maybe even grants futuresight. 

We've already seen one Godmetal capable of that (Atium) so maybe

Also links to the sources:

https://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/the-traveler-r393/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-25-bridge-four-1/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-28-bridge-four-2/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-30-bridge-four-3/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-31-bridge-four-4/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-33-bridge-four-5/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-35-bridge-four-6/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-37-bridge-four-7/

Edited by R J

On 5/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, R J said:

The Traveler seemed to imply that the substance could be used to view events happening on other Shardworlds (as Frost's eyes were rimmed with a silvery metallic sheen)

Thats not what i got out of it.

i think Hoid was just looking into his eyes to read his emotions just like he might with anyone else

Hoid was just noting what his eyes looked like when he did it

which for Dragon are a nice metallic silver

9 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Thats not what i got out of it.

i think Hoid was just looking into his eyes to read his emotions just like he might with anyone else

Hoid was just noting what his eyes looked like when he did it

which for Dragon are a nice metallic silver

The part in question:

The elderly visitor said nothing, and the Traveler eyed him, leaning in closely, studying the man's eyes. The pupils were rimmed with a silver far too metallic to be natural, at least for a human. 

“You sly old lizard!” the Traveler said, pointing. “You already knew! You were watching! And here you were chastising me.”

"leaning in closely", "studying the man's eyes", having a reaction specifically to the silvery substance. Assuming Frost didn't know at first, then immediately realizing that he did in reaction to the substance

39 minutes ago, R J said:

The part in question:

"leaning in closely", "studying the man's eyes", having a reaction specifically to the silvery substance. Assuming Frost didn't know at first, then immediately realizing that he did in reaction to the substance

Again, he realized, because hoid is one if the oldest people in the cosmere, and can probably read people like no other.
you can look into someones eyes and instantly know something(even in this world)

and he didn’t “have a reaction specifically to the silvery substance”

He had a reaction to something he saw in Frosts face, which just so happened to also detail Frosts silvery eyes.

just because Hoid noted his eye color, and there just so happens to be a magical component to that eye color, it doesn’t mean that thats how Frost knew

its coincidental correlation. Just because 2 things happened at the same time, doesnt mean they’re related.

who knows, maybe both of us are right, maybe neither ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 5/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, Eternal Khol said:

Again, he realized, because hoid is one if the oldest people in the cosmere, and can probably read people like no other.
you can look into someones eyes and instantly know something(even in this world)

and he didn’t “have a reaction specifically to the silvery substance”

He had a reaction to something he saw in Frosts face, which just so happened to also detail Frosts silvery eyes.

just because Hoid noted his eye color, and there just so happens to be a magical component to that eye color, it doesn’t mean that thats how Frost knew

its coincidental correlation. Just because 2 things happened at the same time, doesnt mean they’re related.

who knows, maybe both of us are right, maybe neither ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The passage really isn't written that way.

If you want a mundane interpretation of it, how about Frost had cried metallic tears upon learning of Ati & Leras' death.

Though then the question would arise, how did he know? He's been sitting in Yolen all this time.

Also, he didn't just know, he was "watching", which Hoid inferred from his eyes' metallic tinge

Edited by R J
damnation auto-correct

40 minutes ago, R J said:

Also, he didn't just know, he was "watching", which Hoid inferred from his eyes' metallic tinge

1.Frost has some way of watching other worlds.

2.hoid knows about this.

3.hoid is also good at reading people.

conclusion:

Hoid looked into Frosts eyes and read in Frost’s face, that Frost already knew, based on his reaction, or lack thereof.
Hoid, smart enough to put 2 and 2 together, deduced that Frost already knew because he was using his “technique” to watch somehow.

also

The pupils were rimmed with a silver far too metallic to be natural, at least for a human. 

Hoid indicates that silvery pupils are natural for dragons, like their pupils are always like that.

how would hoid know that Frosts pupils were silvery because he was “watching” as opposed to just being silvery like they always are?

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 5/26/2020 at 0:22 AM, Eternal Khol said:

1.Frost has some way of watching other worlds.

2.hoid knows about this.

3.hoid is also good at reading people.

conclusion:

Hoid looked into Frosts eyes and read in Frost’s face, that Frost already knew, based on his reaction, or lack thereof.
Hoid, smart enough to put 2 and 2 together, deduced that Frost already knew because he was using his “technique” to watch somehow.

also

The pupils were rimmed with a silver far too metallic to be natural, at least for a human. 

Hoid indicates that silvery pupils are natural for dragons, like their pupils are always like that.

how would hoid know that Frosts pupils were silvery because he was “watching” as opposed to just being silvery like they always are?

Because of the timing of that reaction.

The metal can be both natural and have use in Investiture arts. This is a Dragon we're talking about and what looks potentially like a godmetal.

Edited by R J