Ask Quitecontrary Anything

Quitecontrary

8 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Is your username the second half of the rhyme “Mary, Mary, quite contrary”?

Yes it is. It's been my username in the forums for a long long time, even way back in the late 90's. 

Plus it's my personality. Hahaha

8 minutes ago, The Awakened Salad said:

In that case, how does your garden grow?

I'm a little OC, so in nice little neat rows of lilies and other flowers except roses. I dislike those. And color coded.

The garden has one section for herbs and veggies for cooking, because that's how I like my omelettes and ahem, Salads...dragged through the garden, a hefty serving.

4 hours ago, Quitecontrary said:

The garden has one section for herbs and veggies for cooking, because that's how I like my omelettes and ahem, Salads...dragged through the garden, a hefty serving.

Well, considering you definitely haven’t eaten any of my salad brethren, if you hypothetically were a salad eater, what would be your favourite type of salad?

6 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Well, considering you definitely haven’t eaten any of my salad brethren, if you hypothetically were a salad eater, what would be your favourite type of salad?

I eat all sorts, but I love kani salads. I eat those 3x a week.  

Doubly happy birthday! I hear the Phillipines is comprised of a lot of islands. A ridiculous amount. Easily well more than thirty. So many that if one went missing, no one is likely to notice for a while. My question is, may I borrow an island for the weekend? Pleeeeeeeease? 

Edited by Archer

If you could time travel to any year, but then never return, would you do it? What year would you go to?

What time of the day were you born at (morning, night, etc)?

Do you think the time of day you were born at affects your character?

Do you play mtg (if not then you should)?

If the probability of event A is 1/3 and the probability of event B is 1/2, what is the probability of A or B occurring (but not both)?

How do you end parenthesis with smiley faces in a way that doesn't look weird (like I try to do here :))?

Do you have any pets?

13 hours ago, AonEne said:

Happy birthday! 

Does that mean your name’s Mary? 

Do you have any pets? 

Do you want any pets? 

I just got back from an epic birthday party. Yes we social distanced. But it was still sweet. Started with some pretty great sounds and food and ended up in a pool party the morning after - all of us still a little buzzed from the night before.

--

Yes, my name's Mary. I don't have any pets, although I grew up in a house with 7 dogs and 2 cats (both of them black.)

I think I'd like to have a cat right now. My issue is that I live alone and during pre-COVID, I traveled frequently for long periods of time on business. I try to stop myself from having a pet if I can't make sure that my basil plants will thrive. They're almost always dead by the time I get back. 

11 hours ago, Archer said:

Doubly happy birthday! I hear the Phillipines is comprised of a lot of islands. A ridiculous amount. Easily well more than thirty. So many that if one went missing, no one is likely to notice for a while. My question is, may I borrow an island for the weekend? Pleeeeeeeease? 

We have 7,641 islands. I don't think anyone will notice if you decide to go all Survivor or Castaway and comandeer one of them. 

I've gone on weekends where I just have food and company and we stay in an island overnight. The boat just comes back for us by Sunday afternoon and we're all ready for the coming workweek again.

7 hours ago, HeyLookItz said:

If you could time travel to any year, but then never return, would you do it? What year would you go to?

What time of the day were you born at (morning, night, etc)?

Do you think the time of day you were born at affects your character?

Do you play mtg (if not then you should)?

If the probability of event A is 1/3 and the probability of event B is 1/2, what is the probability of A or B occurring (but not both)?

How do you end parenthesis with smiley faces in a way that doesn't look weird (like I try to do here :))?

Do you have any pets?

I'm a very in-the-moment kind of person. I don't dwell on the past nor hypothesize too much on what can happen to me in the future, so I probably will say no to the offer to time travel one-way. If I could come back, it would be a different story. I'd love to see the past and observe the Renaissance, but the lack of modern medicine, modern bathrooms and dentists, completely put me off wanting to live there for good.

--

I was born at 9:10 AM. Many people say that it affects my character - both in Western and Eastern zodiacs. If you're curious, I'm a Gemini born in the Year of the Fire Snake.

--

I'm quite old, more than double the age of some of the people here. But yes, I used to play MTG a long time ago when I was a teenager. Not anymore though. I run two businesses and I just don't have the time anymore.

--

Are you trying to make me answer your conditional probability assignment for you? Because I won't do that. If you need a reference, check Khan's Academy for help. 

--

You don't end parenthesis with a smiley face that you type out. You click on the emoji and insert that intead.

--

See above answer to @AonEne for my answer re: pets. 

21 hours ago, Quitecontrary said:

I run two businesses and I just don't have the time anymore.

You don't end parenthesis with a smiley face that you type out. You click on the emoji and insert that intead. 

Yes, another person who thinks you should just use the emoji in that situation! 

What businesses do you run, if I may ask? 

28 minutes ago, AonEne said:

What businesses do you run, if I may ask? 

In my lifetime, I've built, run and sometimes sold a total of 12 businesses.

Currently, one business works with schools to establish better engagement with students through the use of technology, primarily Google technologies and the other web apps that play well with it.

The other one is an online art gallery which aims to help artists sell their art - both original work and limited edition prints - to a wider market that is not reached by traditional galleries.

It's fun. 

32 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Yes, another person who thinks you should just use the emoji in that situation! 

Right???

55 minutes ago, AonEne said:

*nods firmly as she attempts to suppress fangirling at how cool you are* 

I think that the people here are the coolest ones on the planet, and that my life was missing a very integral piece the last 6 years. I may have graduated with honors in the school of life, but I love learning and seeing how creativity just takes a life of its own in a place like this, where commonality and diversity exists side by side. It's frikkin fascinating. 

On fangirling, I once asked someone that I admired, "how to be you?", and she said, "If you will be me, then who will be you?" 

23 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Given the choice between $10,000 now or $5 every week for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

$10,000.  I have a talent for making more money out of money. The more I can work with, the more I can make.

What is your favorite quote?

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it!”

― William Hutchison Murray

What’s your favorite band/musical artist?

Band: Dream Theater. Musical Artist...hmmm....Joe Satriani.

What’s your favorite song?

Always with Me, Always with You by Joe Satriani

What’s your favorite instrument to listen to?

To listen to, if without lyrics, then it's piano. Rachmaninoff plays almost all day at home when I'm working.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, AonEne said:

What’s your favorite type of candy? 

Gummy bears. I know it's made of pig's skin and thinking of that sometimes turns me off. But gummy bears soaked in some form of liquor reminds me of maraschino cherries soaked in liqueur and folded as a layer in dark chocolate cake. Also cute.

2 hours ago, Quitecontrary said:

I was tempted to respond with a recording, but I'm busy, so I'm typing. There is an overarching plot line to it, so I would recommend starting from the beginning, but there isn't a real requirement to. If you don't care about the plot and just want to know about the wacky goings-on of a strange town, you can listen in any order. If you want to know about the blossoming relationship between the voice on the radio and the new scientist in town, chronological order is the only order. 

Funny, I was busy so I recorded. I'm a huge fan of voice typing and voice notes. 

Chronological order it is! I put it in my calendar so I won't forget to have a listen. I'm one of those people whose schedules are ruled by the calendar. If it's not there, it won't happen, or didn't happen.