Karger

Mistborn Era Three Terraforming

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Scadrian system (pictured below) is much less densely populated with planets then many other systems in the cosmere.  Still it offers a fair number of moons that seem worth looking into for Terraforming purposes especially given the space age that we expect during era three.  Given the availability of weight storing devices space travel will be fairly easy.  Additionally Feruchemical Cadmium and Bendalloy will conserve the amount of mass needed for travel by allowing the travelers to compound oxygen and nutrients.  When they get to other planets the possibility of Terraforming becomes viable.  How would you use the metalic arts to aid them in this.  Compounding heat is certainly a good idea for the outer planet's moons.  Perhaps compounding oxygen to create viable atmosphere?  You you get f-Bendalloy to increase the rate at which bacteria or other algae multiply?

200px-Starchart_scadrial_color.jpg

Edited by Karger

39 minutes ago, Karger said:

The Scadrian system (pictured below)

Seems the picture didn't show up for work today.

F-Bronze would also be great for long travels, storing Wakefulness for extended periods to wait out the journey like cryosleep or stasis.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Seems the picture didn't show up for work today.

Thanks I managed to fix it.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

F-Bronze would also be great for long travels, storing Wakefulness for extended periods to wait out the journey like cryosleep or stasis.

A good point. 

Don't you mean Era 4, Era 3 is a spy thriller.

Compounding Oxygen wouldn't create an atmosphere (at least not a sustainable one) unless you were able to increase the surface gravity as well. You could probably figure out an iron hack to do that though.

Growing food isn't an issue with compounded bendalloy.

Any and all powers would have applications for the first settlers who have to pave the way for normal people.

All this talk is reinforcing how ludicrously convenient Surgebinding would be for terraforming.

21 hours ago, Frustration said:

Don't you mean Era 4, Era 3 is a spy thriller.

Era three will be early space age tec so 1980s+metallic arts that have been mechanized. 

21 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Compounding Oxygen wouldn't create an atmosphere (at least not a sustainable one) unless you were able to increase the surface gravity as well. You could probably figure out an iron hack to do that though.

The atmosphere would not be permanent on a planetary scale but depending on the size of the moon you might be able to put something up that will last a few thousand years.

21 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Growing food isn't an issue with compounded bendalloy.

True but a large biosphere is convenient for life support purposes.

21 hours ago, R J said:

All this talk is reinforcing how ludicrously convenient Surgebinding would be for terraforming.

Yeah but moving stormlight around is annoying.  Metals exist on pretty much every celestial body.

46 minutes ago, Karger said:

Yeah but moving stormlight around is annoying.  Metals exist on pretty much every celestial body.

Just wait for synthetically made gemstones that don't leak stormlight. :P Then you won't have to worry about passive decay, at any rate, and it's like another fuel tank to take into account.

On 22/05/2020 at 11:47 PM, Karger said:

The Scadrian system (pictured below) is much less densely populated with planets then many other systems in the cosmere.  Still it offers a fair number of moons that seem worth looking into for Terraforming purposes especially given the space age that we expect during era three.  Given the availability of weight storing devices space travel will be fairly easy.

But so would launching and building habitats. Hence the question, would they even bother? To terraform those moons they'd need to develop the ability to live in space stations. So they'd find that getting the technology needed to implement such projects would remove the main incentive for implementing the projects.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

But so would launching and building habitats. Hence the question, would they even bother? To terraform those moons they'd need to develop the ability to live in space stations. So they'd find that getting the technology needed to implement such projects would remove the main incentive for implementing the projects.

I am assuming they have already built habitats.  Habitats are annoying, dangerous and require a great deal of maintenance.  Humans find it much nicer on planets.

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

I am assuming they have already built habitats.  Habitats are annoying, dangerous and require a great deal of maintenance.  Humans find it much nicer on planets.

Well, they have the desied weather, no quakes, no volcanoes ...

And by the time such a transformation would be noticale, habitats would be familiar to people.

50 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, they have the desied weather, no quakes, no volcanoes ...

And by the time such a transformation would be noticale, habitats would be familiar to people.

Those are true statements but they apply to terriforming in our world as well and plenty of people are still interested.  Also habitats on a planet or moon will experience quakes, most people don't live close to volcanoes and desired weather can be accomplished with some really low level human technology (like fire).  A terriformed planet requires considerably less maintenance then a habitat of proportional size. 

Posted (edited)

Speaking of the Scadrian system, Aagal Uch & Aagal Nod don't sound French or German like FE & Post Catacendre names do, including South Scadrian. They must've been named pre-Final Empire.

(or at least they definitely don't sound French, I don't know any German word except guten tag, schmetterling & krankenwagen, so) 

Edited by R J

4 minutes ago, R J said:

Speaking of the Scadrian system, Aagal Uch & Aagal Nod don't sound French or German like FE & Post Catacendre names do, including South Scadrian. They must've been named pre-Final Empire.

Cool?  It is interesting but I am unsure why you say so.

8 minutes ago, R J said:

(or at least they definitely don't sound French, I don't know any German word except guten tag, schmetterling & krankenwagen, so) 

It's also possible that Silverlight named them, as they might have found them first.

Just now, Karger said:

Cool?  It is interesting but I am unsure why you say so.

I remember reading in an annotation that astronomy was one of the few sciences that the Lord Ruler didn't ban. Though it was difficult with the Mists, meaning only really wealthy Nobles indulged in it. I'd really like more info on Classical Scadrial, we really only have Sazed, Tindwyl, Alendi & Qwaan giving us tidbits here & there *sigh*

But yeah, not related to terraforming, just the Scadrian System

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

It's also possible that Silverlight named them, as they might have found them first.

Could be but all other astronomical objects in the other systems follow the local naming convention so it's also possible that they were named by the locals.

Astronomy is an ancient science on Earth too

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, R J said:

Could be but all other astronomical objects in the other systems follow the local naming convention so it's also possible that they were named by the locals.

Astronomy is an ancient science on Earth too

Yes and I saw this video about how there could be another planet in the system that we don't know about yet, so even for us it's incomplete.

Sixth of the Dusk

Spoiler

As to first of the sun's names, well there is no way that the natives of the planet found all like what twenty-two, the incomers just named it after how the natives where, who names their planet 'first of the sun'

SA

Spoiler

Roshar was incredibly Cosmere aware in the past so I don't think it's that much of a stretch that they knew the planets.

Edited by Frustration

Posted (edited)

@Frustration, spoiler that, it's the Mistborn forum.

Spoiler

Well, the Eelakin would name their planet like that

Also, there are other inhabited planets in the Drominad system why not follow their naming conventions. I think we're just seeing the names given by one culture here.

Plus, Scadrial seemed to have been pretty Cosmere aware in its pre-history too when Preservation was around, as he thought people would remember the importance of the number sixteen

Let's not derail Kar's thread, post on my profile or DM me if you wanna talk more on this

Edited by R J