37 posts in this topic

Long Game 65 Aftermath - Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

The Horse and Four was quiet, this time of night. Even the most industrious drinkers had finally gone to bed, preparing for the next day’s dawn, and only a couple of students hard at work due the next day were still awake. 

So no one noticed, when the wind outside started to pick up. No one noticed when something small landed on the roof with a dull thump

But everyone noticed when the bone-tar exploded. It tore a hole in the roof, killing most of the top floor instantly, and the wooden building quickly caught fire. People on lower floors came out of their rooms, curious what all the noise was about, and the cry of “Fire! Fire!” soon had them rushing out the doors of the inn - where they found themselves buffeted by a strong wind pushing them back. 

Some escaped the building, those strong enough to make it through the wind, but others couldn’t - they ran to other doors, frantic to find a way out, but there was not, and that time cost them. 

Vol knew what this was, could tell from the smell of the fire, and wanted to find the source of whoever had been mad enough to bring bone-tar into a crowded inn. But Inesta, Vol’s bodyguard, had been purchased for just this purpose - that is, common sense. 

“No,” she said firmly. “The building is on fire, and we are leaving.” And with that, she hoisted Vol up on her shoulder and ran out. 

Arael Solon made it out - barely. He had been only a floor below the top one, and woke up in a bed already on fire. The use of the Name of Fire pulled the flames away from him, but his skin was already scorched black in places. He managed to call upon Wind to take him away, but his wounds were severe enough that even with the Medica could not be certain he would fully recover.  

Vol, Kendel, and Bryn Aria stood before the Horns together. Vol looked absolutely murderous, while Bryn Aria had a slight smirk on her face and Kendel just looked confused. 

Master Veitch stood to speak. “You are a disgrace to this University. You used the learning you’ve had here to destroy an entire building and kill many of those inside it, for no reason you can explain. You are hereby expelled from the University, and we have decided that Vol and Kendel will also be lashed as an example to others. Bryn, consider yourself lucky to have only been expelled.”

Vol started to argue, “But Mas-”

“Dismissed.” The Master Linguist sat down and turned his eyes to his fellow Masters, clearly ignoring them. 

Vol still looked angry, but Bryn Aria tugged on a sleeve and Vol reluctantly turned to follow. The doors closed behind them with a dull, final thud. 

A few minutes later, the doors opened again, and a slender figure slipped in. 

“Ah, Rath, welcome back,” Master Leo said genially. “Hard to believe it’s a new term already, isn’t it?”

Rath nodded. “Excited to be back, sir.”

“Good, good. Now, I suppose we should get on to the testing...”

Arael paid little mind to Leo’s question, instead staring at Rath. Could he be a Skindancer? Could one of his fellow Masters? Some of them had been acting odd lately, and he’d noticed Rath a few places he shouldn’t have been. 

He stared down at his burnt, nearly-unusable hands. He was close to cracking, he knew. He’d used too many Names, too fast, and now it was only a matter of time before he went fully insane. He had to find the Skindancers before that. He shuddered to think what a Skindancer Master Namer could do with that power, especially if some of the Masters were already Fae.

Arael Solon closed his eyes. Okay then. Here goes.

When it was his turn to question Rath, he stood. Then Arael Solon, Master Namer, called on Blood. 

He could feel the blood running through his veins, and the blood of everyone else in the room pulsing and pumping and constantly flowing. 

He named Water next, focusing on the blood he could sense, and urged it to heat up, flow faster - that was when the other Masters started to react, to demand to know what he was doing and telling him to stop. 

Then Iron. Iron on the doors, sealing them closed. Iron on the swords, the grams, warping them into uselessness. If he was going to do this, no one would escape. 

Finally, Arael Solon named Fire. And every droplet of blood in that room boiled. They screamed then, but not long. Arael tried to stay silent, but the pain was too intense - after a moment he screamed too, and his was the last to ring out in that room. 

When they managed to get the doors open the next day, the corpses of nine Masters and a student were all they found. Two of the Masters were only recognizable because of their robes, though: their forms had changed upon death to be grotesque and inhuman. 

There was a silence over the University, and it was a silence of three parts. It was the long, sad silence of a closed University. Tables sat empty in the inns and in the Archives, a reminder of those who had gone, and the seats at the Horns were not filled again for a long, long time. It was the quiet, relieved silence at the end of catastrophe: the deaths stopped after that, and all that was left to do was bury the bodies. And it was the crackling, broken silence of a man who killed as he died. 

Arael Solon (Araris) went insane and died! He was a Student!
Lasko Veitch (Karnage) died! He was a Student!
Leo (Lopen) died! He was a Skindancer!
Shard (Experience) died! He was a Skindancer!
Rath died! He was a Student!
Bryn Aria (Burnt) was attacked and protected!
Vol (Devotary) was attacked and protected!

Kendel (Elkanah) was brought on the Horns and charged with Conduct Unbecoming! He was lashed!
Vol (Devotary) was brought on the Horns and charged with Conduct unbecoming. She was lashed!
Kendel (Elkanah) was brought on the Horns and charged with Conduct Unbecoming a Member of the Arcanum! He has been expelled!
Vol (Devotary) was brought on the Horns and charged with Conduct Unbecoming a Member of the Arcanum! She has been expelled!
Bryn Aria (Burnt Spaghetti) was brought on the Horns and charged with Conduct Unbecoming a Member of the Arcanum! She has been expelled! 

The Horse and Four was destroyed! 

The game is over. The Students have won. 

Player List
1. @Haelbarde - Seòras Skindancer
2. @Elandera - Athdara, alchemist 
Student
3. @Burnt Spaghetti - Bryn Aria Student
4. @DeTess - Evelyn Bryen Student
5. @Elkanah  Student
6. @Straw - Straw Student
7. @xinoehp512  Student
8. @Lord_Silberfarben - Lord Silberfarben Student
9. @Coda - Catalan, namer Student
10. @Karnage - Lasko Veitch Student
11. @Hemalurgic Headshot  Student
12. @StrikerEZ - Ryykal Ladzo Student
13. @Lumgol - Caia Irèn Student
14. @Experience - Shard Skindancer
15. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Vol, paranoid alchemist 
Student
16. @CadCom - Cadaci Student
17. @Sart - Sagaer Murtoy, accompanied by a child Student
18. @Furamirionind Student
19. @Zillah Student
20. @Araris Valerian - Arael Solon Student
21. @Rathmaskal - Rath Student
22. @STINK - Ugfal the Three-Handed, with only two hands Skindancer
23. @Kynedath - Traelynn Weeks, likes beets 
Student
24. @Walin - Lin Wa Skindancer
25. @GreenRover - Knighter Nune Skindancer
26. @Young Bard - Nethwyl Nox, pyromaniac Skindancer
27. @TheMightyLopen - Leo Skindancer

Spectator/Dead Doc: Tehlu's Angels
Eliminator doc: Skindancer Secrets
Master Spreadsheet (do not load on your phone)

Congrats to everyone for playing a great game! GM thoughts and stuff to come when it's not 1:30 am. Night all, and well played!

Posted (edited)

Ha, good game everyone! This one is always fun, though I'm a bit sad I got eliminated when I was so close to being a master (I had the EP, and basically just needed the elevations at that point). Its also nice to see I was wary of at least two skindancers (Lopen and Hael), and me cracking when I did confirmed Bard as evil for me as well (though not necessarily for the right reasons).

It was really nice seeing the large variety of RP in this game, as well as just the massive amount of activity. Games have been a bit quieter this year than they where when I first started here, but this game was a proper return to form in that respect. 

edit: Also, maybe a funny thing: my initial game-plan had been to go full R&L because it had my favorite ability (action redirection). However, very early one when I started figuring out my character I realized that I also could try to get some elevations in alchemy simply to get the bone-tar, with the purpose of burning down all the rich-folk inns. I decide I preferred a slightly lighter character path in the end though.

Edited by DeTess

Thanks @little wilson and @Elbereth for an amazing game!

Feel free to read through our 55k word elim doc at your leisure, but I'd like to highlight some of the cool things we did that went unnoticed.

• Striker and Bard were both actually the subject of the sabotage the turn that Striker went insane - Bard was our Sympathist, so that turn we had him use Malfeasance on Striker while we targetted Bard with the sabotage, who recieved a Bloodless at the same time. The bloodless is what saved Bard, but that didn't prevent the sabotage from hitting Striker - had I used Cheating Death on Bard, Striker would have received the same protection, and in fact, as I only had one elevation, there'd actually be a chance that Bard would not be saved, while Striker would. I did Counsel Bard though, so actually, Striker would have had no chance of going mad from the Mews that turn :P 
  • Continuing on with Bard's actions - he was expelled while having 3 elevations of sympathy. This meant that he had the 3rd level malfeasance ability which splits and downgrades any attacks on either Bard or his target. So had someone actually tried to kill Bard, it would have only roleblocked. This was particularly nice after Stink got expelled, and was actually used to prevent a roleblock on Experience at one point.
  • We attempted to use the Name of the Wind to find out if anyone would be visiting the Imre the following cycle (so our expelled team mates could target non-expelled students while they visited the Imre. The action worked! Only, we only used it once and no one was in the Imre :P 
  • Had Walin not died, the plan had been for Stink to put EP into Alchemy so we could get him raised to El'the quickly - I think all the namers had more than 15 EP really quickly, so he'd have gotten the Master title straight away. Just imagine what an evil Master Namer backed with a Master Physicker could have done :ph34r: 

Good game everyone! Naming was way too fun in this game, even though I probably could have experimented more. I’m rather glad that Hael and Walin turned out to be elims, or this game probably wouldn’t have turned in our favor. I was unsure, so I used a combined seek/kill action with Wind and Iron. I was rather surprised that the elims knew all my elevations, which makes me wish I’d revealed to the thread and asked for counseling.

Sorry Rath and Karnage for murdering you (well not really). I figured the less living masters, the better for everyone.

Thanks to Wilson and Elbereth for GMing! Despite being more complex than what I usually go for, the rules were organized enough that they didn’t get in the way. Also, the write ups were consistently awesome. If it happens, I’ll look forward to the next iteration of this game.

More things I was proud of:

• I managed to achieve a tuition reduction of 10.45 talents for the first term!
    • 10 RP posts = 5 talents
    • I spent 2 of my 3 talents on Nahlrout to get a reduction of 1 talent
    • I put a contract on the black market for someone to hug someone in need for a drab, giving another 0.5 talent reduction
    • I spent my final talent on attempting to get talent pipes, which gave a 1 talent reduction.
    • Another 2.7 talents came from posting in thread, complaints, EP, and PMs
    • A final 0.25 talents came from 5 quality game discussion posts
      • Unfortunately the uni didn't pay me 4.5 jots to attend the second cycle, alas
  • I had a bunch of fun with contracts when I was in the Imre turing 1.2 (I've got them below). Highlights include:
    • a reward of 3 jots for someone to provide me a proof of the Collatz Conjecture.
    • a joke about someone hearing "sonnet" as "mommet", although if someone would have given me a mommet I would have give them the 2 jots
    • two references to Patrick Rothfuss, with one being a joke about the state of The Doors of Stone.
    • If I'd had the chance to go back to the Imre, I'd have put up a followup contract to the fake talented pipes scam with someone trying to get rid of their fake talent pipes having fallen for the scam.
  • I had a ton of fun automating my money calculations tab of my playersheet, automating it further and storing information from each cycle.

Contracts

Spoiler
  • Are you a budding musican? Need an instrument to set you apart from the crowd? Then you've come to the right place! These talented pipes are guaranteed to drive your audience wild! Get yours now for the low, low price of only 99 drabs. Stocks are limited, so get in and get'em quick!
  • Want 1 drab and a 5 jot tuition reduction? Give a fellow student in need of a hug a hug.
  • Will give 3 jots for the first person to submit a proof that if you take a number, halve it if it's even, multiply by three and add one if its odd, and repeat this process, you will always eventually reach the number 1. Please be quick - I have an assignment due...
  • Needed: Experienced author to pen the third tome in a set of speculative fiction works based on strange happenings in the world. The previous author was blocked from writing the final volume due to unrelated circumstances.
  • Help needed to check the swingability of chandeliers. Insurance not included.
  • My last open peotry night performance was a disaster. My friends suggested trying a mommet 14 times, but I've not been able to find any mommets yet. Can pay 2 jots.
  • Old pipes for new! Old pipes for new! Got some dusty old pipes from a famous relative just lying about about? Clean out your attic, trade in your old pipes, and freshen up your mantlepiece with a brand new set of pipes. You won't regret your decision!

Player Sheet Screenshot

Spoiler

5ec7a6259c76d_Moneysheet.thumb.png.0da025a3fdb9fed679c822a01700de57.png

Posted (edited)

That was a great game, everyone. I enjoyed that so much (partly because it's been more than a year since I was last an Elim, and partly because this game is just nuts.) Thanks so much to Wilson and El for running it - I can't believe I missed the past two versions if they're this fun.

I want to make some comments about the balance of this game for next time, but I'm honestly don't think there's a point. This game is kind of inherently unbalanceable, but that's OK, because it's hilarious to play anyway. The WGG stunt we pulled this game I'd ordinarily never consider, but something about the madness of this game made me do it anyway. (Hael said something along the same lines) By Araris' and Burnt's actions this last turn, I'm pretty sure the Elims weren't the only one to feel that. Strategically, was the WGG a mistake? Oh yeah, and I think the more cautious part of me knew that even while I pushed for it. :P But... I don't regret it, honestly. I think in past games, I've been too quick to try and play the game safe, and with how much fun I had this time, I think I'll do that a lot less going forward.

This is a rambly mess, but... yeah. There's honestly a hundred tiny thoughts I kind of want to splurge, so, uh... here's the splurge, you can ignore all of this if you want to.

Plum Bob - Apparently, this has never been used in either of the previous KKC games? Huh. Being Plum-Bobbed by Devotary, I think mechanically it worked really well, all things considered. It's dangerous, though - if things had gone slightly differently, it could have been much more sour (I had to admit that Lopen and I were Skindancers, but I was basically out anyway, and Lopen was under suspicion, and a Master so safe from expulsion, and being protected by me from kills unless it's a super-protection-overriding attack made by Master Namers. :P) If I'd had to give up both of my teammates, or if we'd been a bit more powerless at doing anything about being outed, it would have felt more sour, which is maybe something to watch out for next game? But, as it was, it was an 8/10 Plum Bob. If you're going to be drugged and forced to answer questions against your will, this is the experience I'd recommend. :P

Tuition - I actually really like this 'soft' activity filter, thinking about it. With hard activity filters, it feels like a chore sometimes - "I'm really tired after a long day, but I guess I have to post something if I don't want to get killed off. Ugh." With the soft activity filter, you're still encouraged to post, but you don't feel absolutely forced to, and it also doubles as a carrot - if you post a lot, you have more money which you can use to buy things in Imre. I think that's an idea I might try to figure out how to simplify and then shamelessly steal next time I run a game.

Linguistic Analysis - I think the Linguistic Analysis worked really well - when I got caught having told a lie the previous cycle, it wasn't immediately damning, but it was damning enough that it was really tense, which worked brilliantly. If I'd said, "I am not a Skindancer", and found out a lie, I don't think that would have been entertaining for me or anyone else. But that veneer of plausible deniability where I had to lie through my teeth (or actually, imply as many lies as possible without actually explicitly lying, because I'd already been expecting to have a Linguist target me the cycle after the WGG, I just hadn't anticipated it happening the turn before) - and then people have to decide who to trust, and what the truth is. That's mafia at it's best. There's a decent chance that I'll steal this for a game somewhere, probably.

Human Psychology/Naming - Not really a balance thing, but I'm fascinated by the fact that so many people went for Naming. There's something about the "You get to do anything so long as you can justify it to the GM's" part that really appeals to people, and I can totally see why. With the increased chance of going insane and it's popularity meaning you're unlikely to get elevated, I'm not actually sure it's the strongest field strategically, but I already wrote a whole paragraph about how this game isn't meant to be played strategically, so... Dunno. I just find it interesting.

Pacing - The pacing of this game is... weird, to say the least. The power curve of this game is really steep - in the space from Month 4 to Month 6 as an Elim, it felt as though we went from everyone (on both sides) having useful but still normal-ish skills to basically everyone still at the University to have a game-breaking skill, for some (*cough* Araris *cough*) literally so. I... can't really think of a way you'd fix that - having the ability to find your own way to break the game is part of the fun, so the best you can do is hope that the villagers game-breaking actions roughly balance out with the Skindancers game-breaking actions as you reach the late game.

Edited by Young Bard

This was simply beautiful.

art among mafiosos.

I loved it, and I would have liked to be more active, but I was not able to do it.

Thanks to Wilson and Elbereth for hosting it, and everyone for participating!

Well, I *almost* got Master... if it hadn't been for Elandera's vote on me in 3.2 I would have made it before dying. *sigh*

I got completely mixed up the first few cycles on how EP works... oh, well.

I also had a crippling fear of insanity bonuses, so I didn't actually complete the Gram the turn I got attacked.  Although, would it actually have helped me to finish, or would it just have blocked one of the attacks on me?

So there was a dead doc? I was curious as to why I didn't receive a link. I guess because my death was delayed, the GM's forgot.

Green Rover turned elim after accidentally viewing the doc? Heh. 

Well, I enjoyed this game! I hope I get the chance to play it again.

Wow, we won! That was a  great first game and a great second finished game. I guess the distraction of the Fura and Karnage conflict did not help us get closer to winning, but I felt that was the best route.

This was a great experience, thank you little Wilson and Elbereth for answering my many, many questions. Thank you for a great game.

Thank you Wilson and Elbereth for GMing this crazy, wonderful game! I still have no idea how you smashed the rollover down to four hours. 

I'm kinda proud of the 118 pg two-doc elim docs. I sorta want to know what you did with Naming that last turn, @Araris Valerian.

Well, more thoughts later. Got to go now. Thanks again to the GM's and everyone else for playing!

@Elbereth @little wilson Thank you guys so much for running this game! I had so much fun trying to plan out what I was going to do while I was still sane, and I loved the process of getting tuition reductions and stuff.

@Young Bard I’m a bit sad that you guys sabotaged me the same turn that I got my Talent Pipes. I was just about to not have to worry about tuition anymore when it was all ripped away from me. I’m glad that I was right about me being the sabotage though. Also not surprised it was also a WGG. :P

Overall, this was a really, really fun game. Even despite not knowing anything about the books themselves. I’m greatly looking forward to the next iteration of this game!

Thanks to El and Wilson for both GMing and dealing with my 72 message GM PM. :P

It's interesting that no one ever broke out.

I'll be curious to see GM thoughts on the game.

Activity Tracking

A few graphs:

Spoiler

ChartGo.png.56e2c2078b715372628c93d3d3bcdaea.png

5ec7d7eec4a24_ChartGo(1).png.84aa098e10bec446a380d197b8b211e5.png

5ec7dfe3b33b0_ChartGo(2).png.c0aa680ff41397b4b3ff09f48c6dcf02.png

Couple preliminary thoughts:

Thanks El and Wilson for running this game. It was a lot of fun.

It was really strange, the power in the game was overwhelmingly elim until like, 4.2/5.1, at which point it basically flipped. Due in large part to Araris.

It was always my plan to go into naming, however I really didnt think it was going to be such a contested field. I figured 4/5 people might put EP in it, with maybe 2 focusing it. Due to this, I figured if I could get a single elevation semi-early on in the game, if it was naming, I'd basically be set all game, even if I didnt get my pipes.

I did end up getting my pipes though...

Getting roleblocked on the same turn I was elevated was very annoying, as all I wanted to do was to have some fun with wind... when I was roleblocked again, I was very sad. :'( though I quickly became quite amused by it instead, hence all the jokes about staying roleblocked.

My plan was to attack Bard with wind, as I flipped on whether or not he actually was an elim too much in that game. Now it seems my attack wouldnt have worked anyways, however what ended up happening was I WAS ROLEBLOCKED AGAIN because I was on the streets. >>

Also, I think half of my problems this game were just from the fact I've pulled several all nighters over the past 2 weeks... I tried to edit my spreadsheet on a particularly bad day, and I ended up putting all my stuff in 4.2 rather than 5.2... and that really messed me up.

*sigh*.

Anyways, I played pretty poorly this game, though I AM really proud of my spreadsheeting. I made 4 pages of analysis on fields, then started doing massive amounts of PMing to gather info, and was able to infer a ton of stuff.

Did that stuff help me at all? Well... no... it didnt... but I still knew stuff before I died, so I'm happy with that at the very least. XD

Mostly im just proud of calling Araris focusing Naming, though honestly maybe that actually wasnt too difficult of a call.

So I did basically nothing. Alright. This was fun, though I feel that I didn't understand anything at all. Maybe next KKC run I'll be less confused. Good job everyone. 

The University was put in lockdown after the massacre, as it was called by most. Students were sent home, authorities prowled the campus, and the Crockery was emptied. Under normal circumstances, the widespread release of largely unstable people would be met with alarm and protest, but the Crockery discharge paled in comparison to the Massacre on the Horns. This discharge was in part due to the surprising amount of nobles that had been admitted to the Crockery; their houses came calling once news spread and demanded they be released.

This was how Onur walked out of the Crockery, after spending most of a year inside the padded cell. He left walls covered in scrawled notes, arranged in a fashion that only he would understand. His whole life, it seemed, was left on those walls. The Onur before this incident would have scrambled to save those notes, to hoard their knowledge; the Onur now walked slowly behind his parents' steward to the carriage, determined and different. He could remember, now.

And he had some questions that needed answering.

Thank you, @little wilson and @Elbereth! This was a crazy game, and you guys put so much work into it. I'm just a little sad that I got put out of commission so early on :P.

For the thread: I continued to do RP through the GM PM after my insanity. It provides some basis for the change that has come over Onur.

I severely underestimated how valuable the early rounds of submitting EP would be for eventual Mastery. Going to Imre early allowed me to get a bodyguard and nahlrout, which would have been helpful had the game continued to prevent me from being dead. I'm a bit disappointed that nobody completed my three other contracts. Sympathy appeared to be an unpopular field, and nobody was brave enough to publicly support the Chandrian. I assumed nahlrout would protect me from plum bob lashings, but apparently that was not the case?

I do feel like the plum bobs were a bit too strong. Starting with one confirmed Skindancer, you can force them to give up 1-5 teammates with no prior suspicions. It didn't matter in this scenario since Araris told me he had been planning on killing all the Masters anyway, but an item so quickly creatable probably shouldn't be this powerful.

4 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

and nobody was brave enough to publicly support the Chandrian

I almost took that one. The only reason I didn't was because I was already trying to accept 5 other contracts, and didn't have a ton of motivation to RP.

@Young Bard I took a contract to give someone a hug, so I used my action to hug you the turn you were expelled. I meant to RP it in thread, but RP was a struggle for me this game. Perhaps I should have gone back to the tried and true Memoirs, but I didn't.

@Karnage Ooooohhhhh, I'm so sorry for focusing so hard on you. I should have been able to figure out you spied on my PMs and that's how you knew of what I'd done. So the only PMs you spied on were me asking Araris and Lopen if they were in Imre, which I can tell you, is not the fishing-est thing I did this game : P

27 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

So the only PMs you spied on were me asking Araris and Lopen if they were in Imre, which I can tell you, is not the fishing-est thing I did this game : P

Certainly not. Pretty sure that award goes to PMing Araris and jumping straight into saying he's Namer as if you knew for sure he was. And then lying and saying you'd used School Records on him.

16 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Certainly not. Pretty sure that award goes to PMing Araris and jumping straight into saying he's Namer as if you knew for sure he was. And then lying and saying you'd used School Records on him.

I was rather concerned both that Fura had fooled me so easily, and that it was possible to have enough information to make such a guess. Although it turns out the elims actually knew my elevations, so I was really just trying to be too careful (and failing epicly), if there is such a thing in SE.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

I was rather concerned both that Fura had fooled me so easily, and that it was possible to have enough information to make such a guess. Although it turns out the elims actually knew my elevations, so I was really just trying to be too careful (and failing epicly), if there is such a thing in SE.

You were good. It was actually just an educated guess, not something I could confirm without you at all. I was just tired of knowing more about the Physicking, Linguistics, and Alchemy than I did about my own field. As there had been 2 elims killed (presumably through naming) I figured a decent powered Namer was out there, and I had already narrowed down the field significantly by asking people like Burnt and Elkanah for their Elevations. 

You being the Namer in question fitted made my life easy, filled the most naming slots and generally made sense as to my profile of who the Namer killing elims was. Due to this, I just decided to go for it. You easily could have had Elevations in R&L, Sympathy, or Arithmatics as well

If anyone cares at all, this is what my resulting spreadsheet looks like:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12IGQ8KANfJr-fe1599EnyI8XYxWQts56Gqumw9NywpA/edit?usp=sharing

I was fliping between Bard going into sympathy or R&L, so I'm somewhat happy with that guess as well. xD

Edit: I spent many many hours trying to automate and statistify (made up word) data in it... but I didn't succeed and the result is what you see.  The failed stuff I ended up deleting.

Edited by Furamirionind

This was a very fun game to play! I'm honestly just very surprised to have come out of all of that alive. And with an untouched gram (that sabotage would've hit my bloodless). my luck this game was crazy o-O outside of the bad luck of pm choice, but eh the evils are always fun to chat to :P

I enjoyed taking a different approach entirely to what i did the last times with this one. Being a cealdish commoner was actually pretty fun- I won 20 talents from the gambling den :D But scattershotting the EP into everything made things pretty interesting. I'm very surprised i got that first naming elevation but with later getting artificery and alchemy, those are two fields i'd never previously considered, and didn't really have any interest in. When i got the artificery elevation Id literally just been wishing i hadn't put ep into that field cause i didn't want it. Well,  turns out i actually really love that field now >> Even if i was just handing wards to evils >>  But it was really interesting to play with a field i'd never have actively tried for. 

And i bonetarred! IT HAPPENED! The first bone tarring of KKC games! Yay! :D Sorry araris and Dev xD I guess it wasn't necessary after all but I didn't exactly know there was a master namer going nuclear :P Figured was the best shot at hitting masters i had

Had a tonne of fun rping through this game too. I often find it hard to get motivation to rp in games, but the way this encourages it and rewards it, means everyone is rping which makes rping so much easier. Its hard to rp when few others are. 

Its cool seeing how the game develops from run to run. I think the changes made between 33 and this one were good decisions.  Really liked the spreadsheets too! I'm excited to see how this ruleset develops in the future when it inevitably is run again :) (It better, because its my favourite ruleset that I've played to date.)

Posted (edited)

Little Wilson, Elbereth, this was an amazing game! Hats off to both of you for organizing and running a game with such complicated rules. I completely take blame for misunderstanding the rules and totally messing up my chances at elevation. Also, I didn't realize how close I was to possibly making master until after someone had already snagged the spot. :P Thanks for being patient through my questioning and blundering. It really was a great game.

23 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Well, I *almost* got Master... if it hadn't been for Elandera's vote on me in 3.2 I would have made it before dying. *sigh*

Sorry about that... :D My reads were really off this game until it was too late. Also, sorry to Burnt. I'm glad none of my efforts to get you suspended/killed worked. :P 

Great game, elims. You all basically had me thoroughly fooled. 

Edited by Elandera

GM Thoughts

I’d been dreading this game, even with the improved spreadsheet. I’d been on paid furlough for 5 weeks, though, and when El (I think jokingly) suggested we run this, I was like “Oh sure why not, I don’t have anything better to do.” And then signups went up and I was like “What have I just done.” But I had lots of time, and we worked on the spreadsheet and everything was going to be fine. And then the worst thing happened: my boss called me up on the second to last day of signups to say that I could come back into the office and start working again. So there I was, heading back into work, with this game about to start, knowing that rollovers are massive, I don’t get out of work until 6:30 PM, and the writeups are supposed to be posted at 9, and the spreadsheet crashes on my phone almost the second I enter so I can’t help with rollover until I’m off work and….oh dear goodness what have I done???

And then Elkanah went to Imre and practiced at The Eolian. He sent a PM to us, thinking about his inevitable performance and said something like “The stage fright is so real. The immersion aspect of this game is nothing short of spectacular.” And I couldn’t stop grinning.

That’s why I built this game - to immerse players in the world of KKC and the University. To make it feel like you were really there. And even if only a couple people feel that way each game, I’ll keep running it regardless of how much of a time commitment it is. I love watching people interact with this ruleset and just have fun with all the possibilities.

And you know what? I’m pretty happy with the way this game turned out. It’s still broken, but I think it’s less broken.

Let’s start with my thoughts about Imre.

Contracts
This is the first time the contracts have really been used. We copied over two of the contracts from LG33, and the rest was history - almost everyone who went to Imre either added at least one contract or accepted one. Or both. I loved seeing both the mechanical contracts and the RP contracts - though, like Devotary, I’m sad no one picked up the Chandrian essay contract. I was so hoping to see an essay denouncing Tehlu and promoting the Chandrian. (I showed it to Aonar, and I think if he’d been playing, he would’ve accepted it and written that essay. Maybe next time.)

The one issue with the contracts (outside of the lack of automation importing them into the Imre tab from Player Input and the spreadsheets and the lack of text input boxes in the player spreadsheets) was the contract tuition reductions. No one placed a contract for more than 3 talents. In fact, most talents had rewards for less than a talent. This was something I hadn’t anticipated. We definitely need to change up the tuition reduction tiers to have more in the less-than-a-talent range, since every single contract placed in this entire game fell into the first tier of reductions.

Devi’s
Not much to say here, since she only got used once. People are rightfully worried about going to her, but….I’m wondering if it might be possible to introduce a less problematic moneylender on top of the gaelet. So people who want big rewards now can go to Devi, and people who just want a little bit extra can go to someone who won’t completely extort them. Maybe if you want less than 2 talents, you can go to the moneylenders for an interest rate of 15-20%, and then Devi is still 4 talents or more, with the 30% interest rate. And if you want to put up collateral, you can only do that with Devi?

Basically, I know a few people were interested in the moneylender aspect of the game, but either couldn’t do the 4 talents (because they were Ruh) or didn’t want to deal with the astronomical 30% interest rate. And I can’t really blame them for that. I wouldn’t want to deal with that either, but I would like to see the moneylenders be used more. It’s another interesting aspect of the game.

Also, mild comment here - Devotary was one who went to Devi’s, and partly used the money borrowed to hire a bodyguard. That bodyguard was the only reason she survived the game.

The Eolian
I liked adding in the practicing feature. I think that’s a good feature. I also liked the changes made to the musical base stats, particularly for the Ruh. Most of the Ruh couldn’t have failed their performance roll - Striker, Hael, CadCom, and Elkanah were all guaranteed, and Fura would’ve had a hard time losing. Kynedath was 50/50 but he pulled it off. 

It wasn’t just the Ruh that had chances of getting the Pipes either - Burnt succeeded (she submitted something and then rolled high naturally, so her stat was comparable to Kynedath’s, who didn’t submit anything and rolled mediocre) and Karnage would’ve if he’d gone to The Eolian the turn he went to Imre - he wasn’t able to buy an assassin like he’d been planning to and didn’t up doing anything there, but I rolled just to see what he would’ve gotten and he rolled high enough. Walin, Rover, HH, and Lum were all within decent striking distance, and then a few more could’ve succeeded with stellar performances.

All-in-all, I feel like the Eolian mechanic is just about perfect.

The Loaded Dice
Only a few people tried their hand at gambling, but I think in general, this worked well. Burnt ended up winning twice, and Devotary lucked out. Some others got really close - there was one turn where the number I rolled for one person was one of the numbers another had bet and vice versa (I briefly thought about fudging those rolls and swapping them so both players would win). It was sad seeing people lose, but that’s the risk of gambling. Not everyone can be a winner, sadly. Even if I’d like everyone to be a winner.

And now. Onto the University.

Tuition/DP/Horns
We’ll need to adjust the Master DP so it’s more dependent on starting player count. 5 DP works when there’s over 20 players, but if there’d been less than 20, having 45 DP to spread out among only a few voted on players would’ve been problematic. Also need to adjust certain tuition reductions - I already mentioned contracts, but nahlrout is another one. The nahlrout reduction is a little higher than it should be, I think.

Plum Bobs
Devotary and Bard are both right about this. The particular use we saw in this game I think was fine. However, that’s because Devotary only had a single elevation in alchemy, so there was a 30% chance Bard would fly into a rage after the first question, a 40% chance he’d fly into a rage after the second, and so on. This might need to be adjusted so it’s over 50% for the second question on the first upgrade. And the higher upgrades will also need to be tweaked. I shudder to think what would’ve happened if Devotary had been an El’the with 3 elevations in Alchemy when she’d used that on Bard. >>

So yeah. Plum bobs are broken, but they didn’t really break this game. But they could’ve. Badly. That will be fixed.

Lodging
I really like the addition of The Windy Tower, but everyone and their dog used it. This is not surprising. However, it indicates that it should be more expensive. Possibly switch The Golden Pony and The Windy Tower so The Golden Pony drops to 6 talents and The Windy Tower jumps to 9? Would The Golden Pony be more attractive if it subtracted a full DP rather than just one vote?

I’d really like to get the lodgings on more equal footing, and I think we’re close-ish right now.

Sympathy
I like the changes to sympathy and think the field as a whole rivals the others now. However, I feel like there are some OP problems with Malfeasance Protection, particularly at the 3rd and 4th levels. We didn’t get to see the 4th level used, but just what I saw at the 3rd level has me a little concerned.

For example, Bard used malfeasance protection on Lopen that last turn. Lopen got hit with Fae Loe, the Horse and Four’s explosion, and Araris’ nuclear naming. If Araris hadn’t specifically stated that he was subverting protection items and actions, that malfeasance protection would’ve saved Lopen, despite everything that hit him.

A part of me wonders if instead of downgrading all negative effects of all actions, maybe it should only downgrade the worst? @Young Bard - I think you’ll have the best insight into this: do you think that would nerf Sympathy too much and make it less appealing, or would it be okay?

Naming
We got to see our first ever Master Namer! This was exciting. It was even more exciting to see the nuclear attack Araris came up with to end the game. Had Araris not died to the Horse and Four, he would’ve gone insane, having rolled a 10 on his insanity roll and then having the +9 from the names IP bonus and the using 4 names at once IP bonus. Ridiculous.

As for my thoughts. I don’t really have much to add that hasn’t already been said by Araris, Hael, and some others. Naming is understandably attractive due to the creativity inherent with it. Not necessarily OP, at least not when it’s just a single name being used, but all three games have ended due to naming. That’s not really a problem, but it adds to the concerns the Skindancers have to deal with.

Which brings me to:

Skindancer Balance: The Seemingly Unfixable Problem
On the one hand, I think they actually had a better chance this game than either of the others? On the other hand….I’m not sure that’s saying much.

The Skindancers have a choice of two nigh-impossible win cons - either kill all the students (or get them expelled/insane before they can get any elevations) or destroy all the fields. The first is more manageable than the second, but compared to the Students win con of expelling the Skindancers, the Students definitely have an easier job. And how do you destroy all the fields when there are 9 fields and less than 9 Skindancers?

Fixing the second win con is easy - they don’t have to destroy all the fields. Only the arcane ones. I think I’d include Physicking in this, just to push it over half. Rather than destroying 9 fields, they only have to destroy 5. That’s far more reasonable. Still hard, but not completely impossible.

The first win con is a little harder. I’m not even sure it needs to be fixed. It’s possible that the Skindancers could’ve potentially pulled it off this game, though it’s difficult to say given that Stink, the Skindancer Namer, went inactive after Hael died. 

I’ll say that I’m glad the Skindancers ended up with 7 on the team. That wasn’t intentional. We initially rolled for 6, but we didn’t know Walin and Rover were twins living in the same house. In 1.2, Rover ended up seeing the Skindancer doc on Walin’s computer and we had a bit of a worry there - do we start the game over? Do we kill Rover? Do we kill Walin? Killing Rover didn’t seem right - it was one of his first games. Killing Walin also didn’t seem right - that would unfairly punish the rest of the Skindancers. So do we make Rover evil too? But Rover’s a Vint, and Lopen’s a Vint, and we can’t have two Vints on the team, especially not now that their Ruh is about to win his Pipes.

In the end, we made Rover evil, but switched him from Vint to Aturan, and RNG’d a village noble from Aturan to Vint - Araris got that honor (we pretended we messed up something in the spreadsheet so he wouldn’t guess that we were mid-game balancing for something - we lied to Araris to cover up a lot of mid-game balancing now that I think about it).

So the Skindancers had 2 nobles, 3 Yllish Commoners, a Cealdish Commoner, and a Ruh. A very good spread, while we were still figuring out if the classes were balanced properly (I think they very nearly are, so being a troll and having a team of predominantly nobles or Ruh or Cealdish is a very real possibility for next game :) ). And because we increased the prices of grams and bodyguards, that meant that protection was much less common this game, so the sabotages had a higher chance of going through, even in the late game. All of this worked in their favor toward that first win con.

This is why it’s hard to say for sure how things would’ve played out if all the Skindancers had remained active. Even expelled, Stink could’ve worked together with Bard to make it so Bard could target attending students. The two of them could’ve stopped Araris, even if the team was worried about protection against a sabotage - they’d thought Araris had a bodyguard (he didn’t), so they never attacked him.

I’m inclined to just keep the balancing on elim percentage and protection cost for next game just to see how the first win con looks, balance-wise. Particularly given the biggest changes that will be made to the game.

The First of the Big Changes - Order of Actions
We realized partway in that the Order of Actions was very problematic. With the current OoA, a PC Master who submits orders to elevate someone and file DP could go insane and their actions are then lost, because elevations and the Horns happen after offensive actions (if the PC Master cracks naturally, they could elevate a player, but still lose their filed DP since the Horns currently happens last). The turn Straw was sabotaged and Karnage took his place as Master Linguist, Straw had filed DP and was trying to elevate someone. He couldn’t do either with the sabotage. But Karnage hadn’t submitted anything for this, and we didn’t want to just leave the Master Linguist blank, so we ended up having an NPC Master fill in for Straw after Straw cracked and then Karnage took over after the Horns. That was a weird rollover.

And then there’s the messiness of the last turn. Technically, Araris died in the Horse and Four while simultaneously doing the Massacre on the Horns. And Lopen, Karnage, and Experience were simultaneously escaping the Horse and Four’s explosion and dying in the Massacre. That’s….a problem.

Regardless, by moving elevations to dead-last and bumping the Horns up earlier (before kills, sabotages, assassinations, and insanity), I think most of the problems can be fixed. And with this order of actions, a number of things would’ve been different this game: Lopen wouldn’t have become the Master Arithmetist when he did, since he would’ve lost some EP from being on the Horns. Burnt probably wouldn’t have been expelled, even with her roll of 98 (since not only would Rath have been alive to spread out the NPC Master’s DP, all the PC Masters filed DP against either Devotary or Elk).

The Second of the Big Changes - A Semi-Proper University Application System
Hael made this suggestion in the dead doc. We expand the pre-game submissions so they’re more like an actual, real-life university application process (though to a significantly less intense degree). Instead of just allowing musical submissions to increase a player’s character’s musical ability, we allow essays/RP to make it more likely you start with EP in a field of your choice (or even a starting elevation in that field!) and art submissions that would give players a starting item. Players would only be able to do one of these submissions, but it increases the interaction with the ruleset and expands one of the things I love about running this game: the pre-game submissions. Additionally, this could give the GM’s a rough idea of how people are sort of planning on playing before the game even starts, so we can balance accordingly - if we know these 7 players are all wanting to go into Naming, having all 7 be Skindancers probably isn’t the best distribution. This makes it so everyone can go into what they want to go into - which is one of the best things about this game, I think - but still keeps teams well-balanced.

I think that’s basically all my thoughts. This game was a blast, and now that we have a spreadsheet that cuts rollovers down to 4-5 hours with 2 people as opposed to 12-18 and 3 people…? Well. Let’s just say that I’m far more interested in running this game again. And again. And again. :)

Thank you everyone for playing. You were all great, whether you were RPing in the thread, RPing in your PM because you were insane (dear goodness, HH’s RP in his PM was some of the best in this game it was so very good), trying your best to drop your tuition to nothing, creating amazing contracts, or just asking questions about abilities or mechanics. It was all wonderful.

Despite my initial dread, I’m really glad we ran this game right now. You’re all the best.

21 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Plum Bobs
Devotary and Bard are both right about this. The particular use we saw in this game I think was fine. However, that’s because Devotary only had a single elevation in alchemy, so there was a 30% chance Bard would fly into a rage after the first question, a 40% chance he’d fly into a rage after the second, and so on. This might need to be adjusted so it’s over 50% for the second question on the first upgrade. And the higher upgrades will also need to be tweaked. I shudder to think what would’ve happened if Devotary had been an El’the with 3 elevations in Alchemy when she’d used that on Bard. >>

So yeah. Plum bobs are broken, but they didn’t really break this game. But they could’ve. Badly. That will be fixed.

Yeah, I was just about to make a post with some thoughts on abusing Plum Bobs, so I might as well just put them here:

Code words: This would probably get a GM veto, but I'm curious if you'd be allowed to match multipart answers to code words. For example, making a huge list of every possible Skindancer team along with a codeword for each, and asking them to say the codeword that best matches their knowledge of the elim team. Ideally, that would force them to out the entire elim team. :P

Specifying: I'm curious about the exact questions Devotary asked, and I was thinking about what specifications you'd want to put on certain questions to maximize the answer value. For example, I think the best way to figure out if someone was a Skindancer and if they are, extract some useful info would be the following question: "Out of the living, unexpelled, non-insane players, excluding yourself, how many players do you 100% know are Skindancers?" Ideally, this would result in them either announcing the number of Skindancers and confirming that they're a Skindancer, or clearing themselves. Another thing that I think would be interesting would be using the following question when asking a player who the other Skindancers are: "Out of the living, unexpelled, non-insane Skindancers, excluding yourself, which Skindancer represents the greatest threat to the Students?"

34 minutes ago, little wilson said:

The Loaded Dice
Only a few people tried their hand at gambling, but I think in general, this worked well. Burnt ended up winning twice, and Devotary lucked out. Some others got really close - there was one turn where the number I rolled for one person was one of the numbers another had bet and vice versa (I briefly thought about fudging those rolls and swapping them so both players would win). It was sad seeing people lose, but that’s the risk of gambling. Not everyone can be a winner, sadly. Even if I’d like everyone to be a winner.

Out of interest, how many Cealdish Commoners and Edema Ruh gambled? Do you think that giving them better odds ended up being a good buff for them? Also, I'm curious as to how Cealdish Commoners ended up doing in general. I was either at the University or insane for the whole time, so I didn't really get to use any of their special stuff. Hearing more about any of social classes would be interesting, since I know you changed them a bit.

39 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Lodging
I really like the addition of The Windy Tower, buteveryone and their dog used it. This is not surprising. However, it indicates that it should be more expensive. Possibly switch The Golden Pony and The Windy Tower so The Golden Pony drops to 6 talents and The Windy Tower jumps to 9? Would The Golden Pony be more attractive if it subtracted a full DP rather than just one vote?

I’d really like to get the lodgings on more equal footing, and I think we’re close-ish right now.

I kept on thinking during the game that the Windy Tower seemed kind of OP, hence why I stayed there whenever possible. :P I agree on switching them, but I almost think that the "mid-tier" lodging shouldn't really give a benefit, or if it does give a benefit, it should be minimal. I'm not sure if you mean that it would subtract two votes, or if it would subtract a DP after masters assigning DP and stuff? IMO, the big benefit to the Golden Pony was that it stopped you from getting DP due to single votes, so the second option would be more of a nerf than a buff.

43 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Tuition/DP/Horns
We’ll need to adjust the Master DP so it’s more dependent on starting player count. 5 DP works when there’s over 20 players, but if there’d been less than 20, having 45 DP to spread out among only a few voted on players would’ve been problematic. Also need to adjust certain tuition reductions - I already mentioned contracts, but nahlrout is another one. The nahlrout reduction is a little higher than it should be, I think.

I'm curious about how you feel about how much the Masters ended up influencing the vote. A lot of times, it felt like it was very random, but that might be just player bias. Regarding tuition, I know you've mentioned that the 200 words thing ended up making posts unnatural. While I'm not sure how to fix this, I definitely agree that it was a thing that happened. BTW, you should totally make it a multiplier of a reading ease test result and a word count. Time to make people pull out the thesaurus! :P I'm also curious about how you felt about RP being worth 10x as much as game discussion. As a Cealdish Commoner, there were a lot of terms where I had to focus my time on RP rather than discussing the game, since I needed to reduce my tuition.

1 hour ago, little wilson said:

Skindancer Balance: The Seemingly Unfixable Problem
On the one hand, I think they actually had a better chance this game than either of the others? On the other hand….I’m not sure that’s saying much.

The Skindancers have a choice of two nigh-impossible win cons - either kill all the students (or get them expelled/insane before they can get any elevations) or destroy all the fields. The first is more manageable than the second, but compared to the Students win con of expelling the Skindancers, the Students definitely have an easier job. And how do you destroy all the fields when there are 9 fields and less than 9 Skindancers?

Fixing the second win con is easy - they don’t have to destroy all the fields. Only the arcane ones. I think I’d include Physicking in this, just to push it over half. Rather than destroying 9 fields, they only have to destroy 5. That’s far more reasonable. Still hard, but not completely impossible.

The first win con is a little harder. I’m not even sure it needs to be fixed. It’s possible that the Skindancers could’ve potentially pulled it off this game, though it’s difficult to say given that Stink, the Skindancer Namer, went inactive after Hael died. 

I'd been thinking about this a bit during the game, and definitely agree with you that they're nigh-impossible. I love the idea about destroying the Arcane Fields, but it does feel like it's kind of railroading the Skindancers into those fields. I also feel like it could mess with students who just want to go into those fields because they sound fun, since you're essentially designating some fields as suspicious. With the first win con, i was thinking about what'd happen if the Skindancers managed to kick everyone out of the University. I feel like if the Skindancers were stuck with few offensive field abilities, they'd have a long road to success, and could even lose, which doesn't feel fair. They'd have to go and get rid of all the expelled students, which could be really difficult if those students had defensive items. They'd then have to go and target every single insane person, since they need them dead, not just insane. I'm curious about how balanced changing the win condition to dead/insane would be. It feels like it's a nicer parallel to the students, and stops the Skindancers from having to retarget everyone. If the Skindancers have managed to drive everyone else insane, I feel like they deserve the win at that point. Then again, this is counterbalanced by the Students not having many ways of getting rid of Skindancer masters.

The First of the Big Changes - Order of Actions
We realized partway in that the Order of Actions was very problematic. With the current OoA, a PC Master who submits orders to elevate someone and file DP could go insane and their actions are then lost, because elevations and the Horns happen after offensive actions (if the PC Master cracks naturally, they could elevate a player, but still lose their filed DP since the Horns currently happens last). The turn Straw was sabotaged and Karnage took his place as Master Linguist, Straw had filed DP and was trying to elevate someone. He couldn’t do either with the sabotage. But Karnage hadn’t submitted anything for this, and we didn’t want to just leave the Master Linguist blank, so we ended up having an NPC Master fill in for Straw after Straw cracked and then Karnage took over after the Horns. That was a weird rollover.

Part of me is oddly happy that I caused some sort of issue for you two. :P

Naming
We got to see our first ever Master Namer! This was exciting. It was even more exciting to see the nuclear attack Araris came up with to end the game. Had Araris not died to the Horse and Four, he would’ve gone insane, having rolled a 10 on his insanity roll and then having the +9 from the names IP bonus and the using 4 names at once IP bonus. Ridiculous.

As for my thoughts. I don’t really have much to add that hasn’t already been said by Araris, Hael, and some others. Naming is understandably attractive due to the creativity inherent with it. Not necessarily OP, at least not when it’s just a single name being used, but all three games have ended due to naming. That’s not really a problem, but it adds to the concerns the Skindancers have to deal with.

I'm kind of curious: how powerful is Naming on average? There are big flashy power displays, like Araris nuking everyone, but is it a linear scale? Naming seems like it's the most flexible field, so I'd be kind of surprised if it also gave that much power to people.

The Second of the Big Changes - A Semi-Proper University Application System
Hael made this suggestion in the dead doc. We expand the pre-game submissions so they’re more like an actual, real-life university application process (though to a significantly less intense degree). Instead of just allowing musical submissions to increase a player’s character’s musical ability, we allow essays/RP to make it more likely you start with EP in a field of your choice (or even a starting elevation in that field!) and art submissions that would give players a starting item. Players would only be able to do one of these submissions, but it increases the interaction with the ruleset and expands one of the things I love about running this game - the pre-game submissions. Additionally, this could give the GM’s a rough idea of how people are sort of planning on playing before the game even starts, so we can balance accordingly - if we know these 7 players are all wanting to go into Naming, having all 7 be Skindancers probably isn’t the best distribution. This makes it so everyone can go into what they want to go into - which is one of the best things about this game, I think - but still keeps teams well-balanced.

I think that’s basically all my thoughts. This game was a blast, and now that we have a spreadsheet that cuts rollovers down to 4-5 hours with 2 people as opposed to 12-18 and 3 people…? Well. Let’s just say that I’m far more interested in running this game again. And again. And again. :)

Thank you everyone for playing. You were all great, whether you were RPing in the thread, RPing in your PM because you were insane (dear goodness, HH’s RP in his PM was some of the best in this game it was so very good), trying your best to drop your tuition to nothing, creating amazing contracts, or just asking questions about abilities or mechanics. It was all wonderful.

Despite my initial dread, I’m really glad we ran this game right now. You’re all the best.

This sounds very interesting. I hope you look forward to me making MSPaint drawings for free items. :P

I’m really loving this 3?-way RP. It works wonderfully.

If you're talking about me, Burnt, and Hael, then yes, that was fun. :P However, it was a bit awkward sometimes, due to time zone differences.

Straw: “Something interesting that I just realized is that most Vintish noblemen will be unable to stay at the Gray Man, and are therefore unable to just sit in Imre all the time.” This is very intentional. :P

I know. :P I was commending your good game design. :P

My thoughts on Linguistics:  I went 100% into Linguistics, because why not? :P I ended up finding Linguistics to be a fairly odd field, in terms of ability power. You get abilities randomly, so which abilities you get first matters a lot. So, here's my rating of Linguistics abilities:

• Mysterious Bulletins: This ability felt fine to me. I never ended up using it, since I had nothing useful to say and I wanted to minimize Skindancer information, but it has nice synergy. Linguists could use the ability to send their findings about lies or PM spy results. It's also very nice flavor.
  • Hand Delivery: In my opinion, this is by far the weakest Linguistics ability. The only abilities that allow PM spying are Bribe the Messenger, which is another Linguistics Ability, and Wind. I doubt that people would use Wind to PM spy rather than using it to roleblock or attack someone, so that's also pretty unlikely. All in all, it just ends up being a pretty useless passive, since it probably only protects you from one ability, and that ability is from your own field.
  • Bribe the Messenger: While I never ended up having the opportunity to use this, it feels good to me. I doubt anyone would get that much info from PMs, but it's still a useful tool. I'd say it's far better than Mysterious Bulletins, but not as good as Linguistic Analysis.
  • Linguistic Analysis: This ability was nuts, and I could have done some seriously broken stuff if I had been allowed to get more than two uses out of it. By scanning players with reads, you can essentially get their alignment, and that's not even taking into account players doing "I am not a Skindancer" and stuff like that. Every time I was elevated in Linguistics, I was just praying for this ability. I'd be curious to hear any GM thoughts on how powerful they thought this was.

I think it'd be interesting to either have a set ability progression for Linguistics, to encourage people to stick with it and also make the power spikes less random or to change Linguistic Analysis and Hand Delivery to be more in line with the power level of the other abilities. I'd also be curious to hear what other Linguists thought about this field.

Also, note to the GMs: I'm not saying this much stuff because I disliked the game or anything, it's more that I'm bored and have been thinking about this stuff for quite a while. :P

Also, once again: thanks for running the game!

A lot of this overlaps with Straw, but I don't feel like deleting things.

Maybe if you want less than 2 talents, you can go to the moneylenders for an interest rate of 15-20%, and then Devi is still 4 talents or more, with the 30% interest rate. And if you want to put up collateral, you can only do that with Devi?

Allowing the Edema Ruh to borrow money without collateral would be useful, but I know that I wouldn't have gone to Devi had there been a cheaper option since I only needed two talents for nahlrout. Perhaps have Devi charge interest on a scale based on how much money is borrowed, with higher rates for lower withdrawals? Maybe 1-4 talents at 30%, then having lower rates for future intervals.

A guaranteed three turn roleblock bypassing nahlrout protection if the target goes into a rage helps make plum bobs less powerful, though that's meaningless for Masters. Being forced to submit all your questions at once somewhat helps weaken plum bobs. A modification where going into a rage isn't announced until after all questions are answered, but once the subject goes into a rage they're allowed to lie and/or refuse to answer questions is kind of a drastic fix. 

Possibly switch The Golden Pony and The Windy Tower so The Golden Pony drops to 6 talents and The Windy Tower jumps to 9? Would The Golden Pony be more attractive if it subtracted a full DP rather than just one vote?

I think having The Windy Tower not being in the top two most expensive lodgings is a good way to reduce the power of Vintish nobles. Perhaps putting The Windy Tower up to 9 talents, then increasing The Golden Pony to 10 talents while upgrading its ability to subtracting a DP, or one vote if only one vote is cast? That second part might be difficult to do in a spreadsheet but -1 DP is only better than -1 vote if at least three votes are cast on someone.

The first win con is a little harder. I’m not even sure it needs to be fixed. It’s possible that the Skindancers could’ve potentially pulled it off this game, though it’s difficult to say given that Stink, the Skindancer Namer, went inactive after Hael died. 

If Lopen and/or Experience had survived, would the Skindancers have won as the only players left in the University? Or would they have had to slaughter the inhabitants of the crockery one by one while Burnt and I tried to blow up their lodgings? Especially if Naming allows for targeting inside the University it would still take a while for the Skindancers to actually get rid of all potential threats. Perhaps the Skindancers win if a cycle ends with no current threats?

Regardless, by moving elevations to dead-last and bumping the Horns up earlier (before kills, sabotages, assassinations, and insanity), I think most of the problems can be fixed.

Would putting the Horns first mean that all actions could be roleblocked that turn if someone ended up being lashed, and actions targeting University students would automatically fail if the submitter got expelled? Or would the DP be assigned first, and then have the effects still take place at the end of the turn?

3 minutes ago, Straw said:

Specifying: I'm curious about the exact questions Devotary asked, and I was thinking about what specifications you'd want to put on certain questions to maximize the answer value.

The specific questions I asked were 1.Which living, unexpelled player is most likely to be a Skindancer? 2. Did you receive a GM PM this game telling you that you were a Skindancer? 3. Excluding the person you gave as an answer to question 1, which living, unexpelled player is most likely to be a Skindancer? 4. How many living, unexpelled Skindancers are there left in this game? 5. Do any Skindancers currently have the ability to kill sane University students?

Definitely far from ideal, especially as only a second level Alchemy student. I'm pretty sure village!Bard could have proved his innocence without me having to waste a question, and the GMs might have allowed Bard to get away with a non-answer for the first question like 'No one living, unexpelled player has a greater chance of being a Skindancer than every other player'.