50-word Fiction

I am not sure if this has been done in the forums before, but this will not be as easy as the fun one-liners we post in our quest for the longest threads.

I've always enjoyed limiters, where you have to count the number of words or syllables on what you write. I'm hoping that some of you here also enjoy that challenge.

Here are the rules:

Write a very short story of exactly 50 words, no more, no less.
Add a title in bold.

I'll start   ---

Accident

He stepped closer to her upon hearing the news. The damage was permanent, the doctors said, and there is nothing that can be done to repair it.
He embraced her and touched his lips against her ear.

She can feel him whispering, but all is silent in her world now.

Bang

He laughed. He laughed for longer than he should have. He laughed until he couldn't hear. Watching the device tumble down, time seemed to flow just a little slower. He laughed at the funniest thing he'd ever seen. You see, he hadn't expected to actually go out with a bang.

(Well that got dark :wacko:)

In keeping with our current grim theme, I present to you ~ Stolen 

The parent is weeping, holding their daughter, because she is home. Almost stolen by a rushing street, but returned to peace, her face smiling. The parent doesn’t understand why others keep trying to gently take their little girl away. They refuse to recognize that she has already been taken away. 

Employee of the Year

7:30 AM. Eyes closed, he ambled towards the bathroom, thinking he would be late if he didn't hurry up. Dressing quickly, getting in his car, and driving to the office took him only fifteen minutes.

The place was in darkness.

He exhaled loudly in sudden remembrance. It was a Sunday.

Cracks

A girl ambled along the stone pathway, footsteps placed carefully. There were many cracks, endless little breaks. Tiny chasms mirroring those in her head. She never stepped on them. Oh, no, not even once, not even if she'd fall otherwise. Darkness lived in the cracks, and she couldn't anger him.

6 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Cracks

A girl ambled along the stone pathway, footsteps placed carefully. There were many cracks, endless little breaks. Tiny chasms mirroring those in her head. She never stepped on them. Oh, no, not even once, not even if she'd fall otherwise. Darkness lived in the cracks, and she couldn't anger him.

Yes hello Luna is this girl suffering from OCD and can I hug her 

24 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Cracks

This is why I love 50-word fiction. It tickles the mind with possibilities. 

Another one:

Portal

She heaved and tried to control herself. For the first time, she looked at herself in the mirror and was shocked upon seeing the woman there. That vision was not her, was it? 

She looked around and at last became aware of her surroundings. 

Everything was metal. Where is she?

The Labyrinth

Everyone knows the stories of The Minotaur were only used to frighten children. That’s why she felt confident to enter the the labyrinth.  So engrossed in the task that she almost missed the hot breath upon her neck and the gigantic figure that now loomed over.

Perfectionist

A blank screen stares back at me, tauntingly empty. Then, the flash of an idea! My fingers twitch, then begin typing. Frantic, wild eyes trace the words as the symphony of clicks becomes faster, frenzied. 

Then it’s done. I read what I’ve written. 

The delete key returns the blank screen. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad
I’ve edited this at least three times and am still not happy with it. How’s that for being a perfectionist?

Denial

"I do not need him, you know. men are like, what, they use you...they tell you they love you and then leave you...cheat on you."

"I'm better off by myself, beautiful, self-respecting...I am not depressed! Don't worry..."

she put down the phone and grabbed another chocolate bar.

Gone

Toothbrush. socks. pocket knife. Rations. Medication? Yes. Advil. Books won't fit. Tears fall as I leave them behind. 

All Packed. At the door, I glance behind me. I hate this place, but can I really leave? Memories flash, then creaking comes from above. Out the door. Through the woods. Run.

Edited by Hentient

Hello

On the flickering screen, she waves hello. A smile spreads across her face as she sees an old friend, or perhaps a new one. She walks towards the camera and laughs that crackly, contagious laugh of hers. Suddenly, she freezes. I replay the clip. It is all that is left.

33 minutes ago, Experience said:

Wow. This is actually a lot harder then I expected. I can't think of anything. 

Much editing is involved sometimes. I usually just write a story then go back to it to see how I can shorten the sentences. Start with a bad idea, if you can't think of a good idea. This forum is a treasure trove of bad ideas that got improved over time. Hope that helps! Happy 50-word crafting!

----

Natalie Portman in V

She held her hands up to the sky, feeling her problems wash away as if by magic.
The urge to go out into the rain was irresistible, and the touch of bare soles on wet stones made her be aware of just how much she has forgotten life's simple joys.

Sight

"You can see me?" the little boy asks, his small voice wavering. I nod, confused. "Are your parents around?" I ask. He ignores my question, hesitantly poking my arm. He looks behind me. I look too and see flames roaring towards the sky. "You must be dead too," he whispers.

Fifteen Years

Fifteen years had passed. Fifteen years of laughter. Fifteen years of love. Fifteen years of learning. Fifteen years of joy. Fifteen years together.

Fifteen more went by. Fifteen years of silence. Fifteen years of mourning. Fifteen years of ignorance. Fifteen years of grief. Fifteen years alone. Fifteen years without her.

RC Car

The radio control car is expensive. Forty dollars. I have but seven. Mom says I have to do chores to get money, but I don't want to.

I guess I'll stare at it, across the road in the toy store window. If only cash really grew on trees. Oh well.

I set out to write a happy story to break the streak. It turned into this in about 3 seconds. Maybe sad things are easier to write about....

Dizzy

The boy spins around until he is dizzy. It is his favorite game, one that he had made up himself. He giggles as the world shakes around him and flops down onto the floor to catch his breath. But the world doesn't stop shaking, and he is no longer dizzy.

I seem to have a thing for writing vaguely threatening/sad things.