What bender are you?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What bender are you?

Okay, I just finished season two, and this show is now my life. Incoherent ramble below because emotions:

Spoiler

Zuko what was that??? Why did you betray Iroh??? Whyyy???? (Well, logically I know why, but still. I know he’s going to join Team Avatar eventually because I’m terrible at spoiler dodging, but I’m still in partial shock) 

In all honesty though, his character arc is fantastic. I see now why people praise it so much. It’s gradual, it breaks him down and gives him the chance to rebuild himself, and it actually feels realistic in that it’s non-linear. I love it. Also, I have a weakness for tragic backstories. 

Azula is also great. I love to hate her. She’s smart, ambitious and has her own sense of agency. It’s still relatively rare to see female villains like her, so I’m very glad she exists.

Iroh is Iroh. I don’t think I can sum up how amazing he is in mere words.

Also Toph literally held up a sinking building with her own two hands and if that’s not cool then I don’t know what is. 

The entire cast is extremely likeable, the humour is well placed and the worldbuilding is really fleshed out. The relationships between characters all feel so real and genuine, and it’s been great to watch them develop over the course of the series. I can’t wait to see what happens in season three. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

1 hour ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Okay, I just finished season two, and this show is now my life. Incoherent ramble below because emotions:

Hide contents

Zuko what was that??? Why did you betray Iroh??? Whyyy???? (Well, logically I know why, but still. I know he’s going to join Team Avatar eventually because I’m terrible at spoiler dodging, but I’m still in partial shock) 

In all honesty though, his character arc is fantastic. I see now why people praise it so much. It’s gradual, it breaks him down and gives him the chance to rebuild himself, and it actually feels realistic in that it’s non-linear. I love it. Also, I have a weakness for tragic backstories. 

Azula is also great. I love to hate her. She’s smart, ambitious and has her own sense of agency. It’s still relatively rare to see female villains like her, so I’m very glad she exists.

Also Toph literally held up a sinking building with her own two hands and if that’s not cool then I don’t know what is. 

The entire cast is extremely likeable, the humour is well placed and the worldbuilding is really fleshed out. The relationships between characters all feel so real and genuine, and it’s been great to watch them develop over the course of the series. I can’t wait to see what happens in season three. 

Season three’s gonna blow your mind. 

2 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Reveal hidden contents

Don't forget the part where

Spoiler

Toph invented/discovered an entirely new style of bending. 

Finished TLOK yesterday.

Pros: Good fight scenes, quite a few funny moments (no idea if they were intentional or it was just me) a few good characters (Varrick mainly). I enjoyed the aesthetic of the show, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense for the world of Avatar. Lavabending is cool, I like lavabending.

Cons: Neither Korra nor any of the main villains were at all interesting to me (with the possible exception of Kuvira, but only because she falls into a trope) , season 2 mostly sucked, though I did get a laugh out of some of the more wacky parts. I don't like Zaheer, his background makes no sense and somehow he's able to totally master airbending despite only having the power for like a month at most.

IMPORTANT EDIT: tenzin good cool guy : )

Edited by old man moomba
TENZIN GOOD COOL GUY :)

On 8/29/2020 at 1:11 AM, old man moomba said:

Finished TLOK yesterday.

Pros: Good fight scenes, quite a few funny moments (no idea if they were intentional or it was just me) a few good characters (Varrick mainly). I enjoyed the aesthetic of the show, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense for the world of Avatar. Lavabending is cool, I like lavabending.

Cons: Neither Korra nor any of the main villains were at all interesting to me (with the possible exception of Kuvira, but only because she falls into a trope) , season 2 mostly sucked, though I did get a laugh out of some of the more wacky parts. I don't like Zaheer, his background makes no sense and somehow he's able to totally master airbending despite only having the power for like a month at most.

IMPORTANT EDIT: tenzin good cool guy : )

Quick note, about Zaheer:

Spoiler

Zaheer was a master compared to non-benders and people who didn't know/expect airbending to be used in a violent manner and with an atypical style. He was skilled, but when it came to fight a true master airbender like Tenzin, he was clearly outmatched and could only run away.The only reason he won was because his allies came to back him up in time. 

As for how he was so good at airbending, I think he simply applied the martial arts and philosophy he already knew into his new abilities. If someone is an English & Spanish bilingual speaker, and they spent their entire life studying the colonization and history of Brazil, I can see them adapting quite well to the Portuguese language and blending into a Brazilian lifestyle. They wouldn't possess native-like fluency, but they'd be far better than most. The same thing applies to Zaheer IMO. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 4:30 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Quick note, about Zaheer:

Hide contents

Zaheer was a master compared to non-benders and people who didn't know/expect airbending to be used in a violent manner and with an atypical style. He was skilled, but when it came to fight a true master airbender like Tenzin, he was clearly outmatched and could only run away.The only reason he won was because his allies came to back him up in time. 

As for how he was so good at airbending, I think he simply applied the martial arts and philosophy he already knew into his new abilities. If someone is an English & Spanish bilingual speaker, and they spent their entire life studying the colonization and history of Brazil, I can see them adapting quite well to the Portuguese language and blending into a Brazilian lifestyle. They wouldn't possess native-like fluency, but they'd be far better than most. The same thing applies to Zaheer IMO. 

I'm just gonna second all of this.

he was right about how bad season 2 is, though.  and the fight in the season 2 climax is utter garbage.  for that matter season 4 has a lot of bad fights too:

Spoiler

the mechs they have in season 4 are nowhere near as cool to see as bending is, so a lot of the season 4 fights against them are boring compared to the top tier fight scenes

That said, if you tried to compile a top 10 list of best fights across both Avatar series, I have to think that like 7 of them would be from Korra, mostly season 3.  the one you reference in the spoiler box there is probably #1, for my money

This year I've been watching a good bit of reaction videos for ALTA first-timers. It's always fun to see people's change from "I'm afraid it's overrated" to "this clearly isn't rated highly enough." Below are some of my favorites. Most of these people have also reviewed Korra too, but since I haven't watched those videos I'm not linking them. Merphy's reviews aren't really reactions, but they still fit with the "first time experience" perspective, and as such she's included. 

• 2 months later...

So, I finished season three.

I...mostly was underwhelmed. I think I might have been a bit too old for a first time watch, and I didn't have any nostalgia or fandom hype to carry me through. It was okay? 3 was definitely better than 1 and 2. It was nice to get context for the memes. Idk, wasn't really something I got into, though I didn't hate it. Hopefully I'll like LoK more.

EXCEPT FOR WHEN KATARA CALLS OUT AANG FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT I JUST REMEMBERED THIS AND NEEDED TO MENTION IT BECAUSE YASS QUEEN also Zuko was cool

So... my siblings just got me into ATLA, after years of me refusing to watch it because I don't like anime (It's my opinion and personal choice. Don't attack me.) 

I'm at the end of book 2, so there's still a one more book to go, but I do not ship Aang and Katara. Their scenes with the soft light and blush cheeks are just way too pushy for me. And any chemistry they show in the series is way too forced. And (maybe another unpopular opinion) Aang is too immature for Katara. 

But all in all the series is pretty good. I just wish there was more Zuko. He's the third best character, after Uncle Iroh and Chong. 

2 hours ago, Cosmical Existence said:

So... my siblings just got me into ATLA, after years of me refusing to watch it because I don't like anime (It's my opinion and personal choice. Don't attack me.) 

I'm at the end of book 2, so there's still a one more book to go, but I do not ship Aang and Katara. Their scenes with the soft light and blush cheeks are just way too pushy for me. And any chemistry they show in the series is way too forced. And (maybe another unpopular opinion) Aang is too immature for Katara. 

But all in all the series is pretty good. I just wish there was more Zuko. He's the third best character, after Uncle Iroh and Chong. 

I agree with you about Aang and Katara.  I'm not sure how to verbalize it other than that I think they're too young for romance and there are more important things going on.

And yes, more Zuko!

2 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I agree with you about Aang and Katara.  I'm not sure how to verbalize it other than that I think they're too young for romance and there are more important things going on.

And yes, more Zuko!

yea, i'll third that.  The chemistry just really isn't there for the most part.