What bender are you?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What bender are you?

4 hours ago, FantasyFanatic said:

So, I just finished LOK and I had so many problems with it, am I the only one or do a lot of people have issues with it?

You're not alone. I have LOT of problems with it (and am in the process of revising it in my mind for my own personal experience and in order to practice long-form thematic story planning, character development). But there are good spots in the show. Season 1 was built on a brilliant premise and mostly succeeded.* And Season 3 is easily one of the best seasons in the Avatar universe, period. 

But the flaws and lows of the show can be so low that I can't recommend it. 

*The love triangle felt more like the creators saying "here you go, Zutara shippers! Feast on this!" without adding any of the depth and connection Katara and Zuko had (and this is coming from someone who's aggresively against Zutara shipping). 

I haven’t watched LOK (Netflix I’m begging you please get it) so take this with a grain of salt, but I’ve heard that lots of the flaws such as pacing were a result of pressures from Nickelodeon that caused them to have to do things differently than ATLA.

5 hours ago, Lunamor said:

I haven’t watched LOK (Netflix I’m begging you please get it) so take this with a grain of salt, but I’ve heard that lots of the flaws such as pacing were a result of pressures from Nickelodeon that caused them to have to do things differently than ATLA.

Many of them indeed are, and we can excuse those. But there are other, decisions that aren't and those are some of the more controversial (and most praised) things. But at the end of the day, you'll make your own decision about it. I truly hope you love it, but we understand all feelings about it. 

On 6/18/2020 at 1:29 PM, Elegy said:

No, there's actually a pretty big part of the ATLA fanbase that vocally dislikes it. A lot of people complain about how every season is a complete story, but I don't think that's the actual problem. It shouldn't have held them back from actually developing the characters or creating tension with situations that feel like they have stakes. They just didn't do it and missed so many opportunities to make the series actually compelling that I find it weird that it's from the same creators who made the original, which is a masterpiece in most of the things that LOK lacks in. That said, I personally think it's okay, at the bottom line. It's technically more advanced than the original series, the action scenes are very well-done and the music is great. There's two characters that I like a lot (Lin and Tenzin), but even those don't really have any significant arc, they mostly just are who they are and I like who they are. So, there's stuff to love and I understand why other people like it. But yeah, the complete experience just felt very hollow to me.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the seasons having individual conflicts. But I would have changed the order keep season 1 where it is (it has probably the conflict of any season, but it didn't do a good job handling it). I would make season 4 the second season then keep season 3 where it is and have season 2 for the grand finale. 

Really the problem with Korra is they didn’t know if there would be another season or not, so they made each season it’s own individual arch, which makes it hard to connect with the characters (personally) and each new season feels strained and disconnected. My main problem with the show is they didn’t really make a new unique character... like cabbage dude. Everytime they needed something special, they used old characters, like Zuko or Iroh. But that’s my personal opinion. I actually really liked the first season (especially wan).

Its actually not that bad of a show, it’s just compared to ATLA a lot, and since ATLA is legendary, it pales in comparison. 

4 hours ago, Hentient said:

Really the problem with Korra is they didn’t know if there would be another season or not, so they made each season it’s own individual arch, which makes it hard to connect with the characters (personally) and each new season feels strained and disconnected.

But network television deals with this all the time, and they can do a relatively good job with having individual arcs that can lay on each other in interesting ways, and then use that to branch into different arcs. 

Arrow is a decent example. The villain in Season 2 honestly had nothing to do with the villain in Season 1. They didn't know each other, nor did they interact in any meaningful way. But they flowed together because Oliver was the tying piece to the puzzle, and it built off the theme of Oliver knowing his arch enemies personally or them knowing him personally. They had a theme of being connected to Oliver's past in a meaningful way. When the show stopped that theme, the show really suffered.

During the first two seasons Oliver went from cold-stone killer to reluctant killer due to the events of Season 1. Laurel went from "CW's Obligatory Love Triangle Love Interest" (watch the first season of ANY CW show and tell me this isn't a thing. I dare you.) to woman coping with trauma in not so healthy ways, to woman coping with trauma in healthier ways. Thea went from spoiled rich girl and addict to well-meaning rich girl to responsible business woman (to eventual assassin and finally vigilante). 

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Korra built off of ideas and themes decently but not off of the characters, and that was one of the main problems. Shows don't need explicitly connected seasons to do that (although it does help). 

I do agree with what you say about using the old cast sometimes, but I think other times it worked out just fine. Using Zuko in Book 3 worked (although Izumi or General Iroh would indeed have been a more interesting choice). Toph was...okay. 

4 hours ago, Hentient said:

it’s just compared to ATLA a lot, and since ATLA is legendary, it pales in comparison. 

That's also a very true point, and an unfortunate fate for Korra. The Dragon Prince suffers from that a tiny bit too, and it'll probably grow the longer the show goes on...assuming it goes on...

On 6/18/2020 at 11:41 AM, FantasyFanatic said:

So, I just finished LOK and I had so many problems with it, am I the only one or do a lot of people have issues with it?

I haven't watched LOK myself and i don't feel the desire to. I have seen a little bit of it and I know a lot about it (sort of) and i don't want to watch it. But I like some things in it. like the older versions of Aang Toph Katara and especially Sokka.

It only took 11 years, but Boomerang came back : TheDragonPrince

EDIT: I tried to post the meme the first time.

Councilman Sokka | Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of ...

Edited by McWafy

Iroh is one of the most likeable characters ever and Zuko has one of the best arcs ever, so it's pretty much a tie between the two for me, with maybe a slight tendency towards Iroh for how instrumental is he is for the fantastic things about Zuko's arc.

My other faves are the rest of the core Gaang, Azula, and Mai.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Is there anywhere to watch Avatar not on Netflix?  I don't have it and don't want to get it to watch one show.

It appears to be on CBS All Access. You can rent/buy on Amazon Prime.

3 hours ago, AonEne said:

Watched the first episode with my mom. It was all right. I've adopted Sokka.

Sokka is in fact awesome. I would say, give the show at least the first season. Season 1 is very 'all right', Season 2 is dang good, and season three is like so good it's heavenly.

On 7/4/2020 at 3:05 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

Is there anywhere to watch Avatar not on Netflix?  I don't have it and don't want to get it to watch one show.

I know it used to be on Amazon Prime, but it's been a couple of years since I checked. Other than Netflix, I'd say getting the Blu-Ray is your next best bet. ...or signing up for a trial period of Netflix - do they still do those? - and binging the entire show in a week or so. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, Use the Falchion said:

I know it used to be on Amazon Prime, but it's been a couple of years since I checked. Other than Netflix, I'd say getting the Blu-Ray is your next best bet. ...or signing up for a trial period of Netflix - do they still do those? - and binging the entire show in a week or so. 

It is on Prime, but you have to pay extra.  I looked into Netflix and free trials, which they do have, but you have to do something involving credit cards, and that's not an option for me, because I don't have one yet.  One of these days I'll probably get the DVDs.

....or borrow a friend's Netflix.

Yeah, that's more likely.

Edit: Some friends dragged me out of my room, and we've watched 3/4 of Book One.  I'm enjoying it more than I thought.

Zuko's backstory is messed up.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

• 2 weeks later...

I have nowhere else to say it, but my biggest ships in the series is Zuko & Toph (in a distant future (roughly five years from the end of the show)). But I also REALLY like the idea of seeing Azula & Aang. 

Azula & Aang:

Spoiler

AZULA AND AANG ARE NOT ARE NOT A GOOD MATCH. If Azula was going to date any guy on the show it would be Sokka. But Sokka's relationship with Suki is so solid I don't even want to think about it. Ergo, Azula and Aang. 

Why this would work: Aang needs an Azula in his life. Azula is a perfectionist and a very clever & efficient person. If left to his own devices, Aang would play around and explore all day. But with Azula by his side, he'd have no choice to get stuff done. Likewise, Aang would be one of possibly three people that would be able to get Azula to relax and let her guard down (Aang, Ty Lee, and possibly Zuko). Aang would also be pretty immune to Azula's mind-games (something only Mai has shown to be so far), and is an overall great sparring partner for her. 

Lastly, Aang would force Azula to explore the world on HIS terms, and that means getting along with people, understanding where they're coming from, and learning to adapt from those experiences. We see this happen with Sokka, Toph, and Zuko most of all, once they left their comfort zones and met new people. I believe that would be beneficial for Azula as well. 

How would this have played out?

Spoiler

In my head, this would have been the arc of a fourth season. It would start with Zuko trying to help Azula, and her shunning him at every turn until they find their mother. After that, Azula would ask for her bending to be taken away for a time by Aang because she would start to associate all of the problems in her life with it (in her mind power = bending, and power = problems, so bending = problems. I don't think she would be correct in her thinking, but it would be her choice and a VERY dangerous threat to Zuko's reign would be theoretically "taken care of"). Aang does so, and the two tour the world for a bit while the rest of the Gaang would have their own adventures during this season that would relate to a mysterious new Earth King and dealing with the fallout of a generational war. During this time, Azula, without bending of her own, teaches Aang to Lightningbend. After a bit, the two go on a journey in the Spiritual Realm, and after taking out the season's Big Bad, Aang would learn how to GRANT Bending, not just take it away. Azula would then ask how to become an Airbender, and the two would end up together. I feel like this symbolically harmonizes what happened in the last cycle while bringing a happy ending to the series - The Fire Nation's royal family, who wiped out the Air Nomads, become the first to assist in the Air Nomad's return; like Sozen and Roku, Aang and Zuko have become as close as brothers; and Aang may still be the Avatar, but he is no longer the Last Airbender. 

Problems with this not related to actual Canon events:

Spoiler

Azula already HAD an Aang in her life in the form of Ty Lee. Also, Aang needs a Katara FAR more than he needs an Azula (Katara doesn't need an Aang though, despite the benefits she gets from having a source of adventure and travel in her life). And Zuko and Toph are pretty strict teachers as it is. Lastly, going from "enemies to lovers" requires a bit of chemistry, which Aang and Azula really don't have. 

Next, Toph & Zuko:

Spoiler

I'm a sucker for "moody & stable" relationship dynamics. It's part of the reason I'm such a big fan of Jasnadin & Shadolin over Shalladin. Toph and Zuko are another such pairing. But there are a few reasons why I think they would work together.

First: NOBODY APPRECIATES UNCLE IROH LIKE TOPH DOES. Aang comes in close second, but Toph really likes the guy. I don't think I need another argument, but I'll keep going. 

Second: Toph is stable. Zuko is either dour or an emotional wreck, fluctuating between supremely stubborn or flaring tempers. Toph is good at handling all of that and dishing out truth all of the same. 

Third: Toph would be a PRICELESS ally to have as a ruler. She's a living lie-detector. Playing politics would be VERY hard to do when she's around, and Zuko could use that to his advantage quite easily (although it would be good for him to let his allies get away with some lies and half-truths, in order to preserve the effects for when they're most needed). 

Fourth: Toph needs her life changing adventure with Zuko, and I think it would be funny if her life-changing adventure is the rest of their lives together. 

Fifth: It's a decent symbol. For the Fire Nation to end the war, pay reparations, and then have an EARTH KINGDOM QUEEN would be very revolutionary, but it would also signal to the rest of the world that they are truly repentant for their ways. 

Sixth: Toph has no emotional baggage when it relates to the Fire Nation. Song was burned by the Fire Nation, Jin may not know enough to be a good ruler (despite me loving her character), and Katara DEFINITELY has baggage. 

How this would this have played out?

Spoiler

The easiest solutions would be that: Zuko is so busying dealing with the aftermath of a generational war, that he doesn't really have time to think about relationships or marriage for a couple of years. After that, he finds himself surrounded by eligible Fire Nation ladies and a court that has been playing games behind his back while he's been trying to heal wounds in the world. Zuko takes a quick sabbatical to Iroh's tea shop, and sees that Toph is there. Iroh mentions that Toph visits a lot when she's not traveling around or doing what she does. Zuko finds out that Toph still hasn't reconciled with her parents, and the two head out to the Be Fong estates. Toph's parents still won't recognize her independence; they ask who Zuko is, and after an accidental blunder, the the parents believe Zuko and Toph are engaged. From there the story could go in a couple of ways, but the main gist is that Zuko and Toph would have a casual betrothal (so that Toph can have an excuse to be away from her parents but is now on good terms with them while Zuko isn't surrounded by women who only want a title), and somewhere down the line it'd turn serious. 

Problems with this not related to Canon events:

Spoiler

None, because Toph's affection and respect for Iroh trumps all problems. 

But more seriously, the age gap would probably worry some people. I think it's still an appropriate age gap. 

There's also the issue of freedom. Toph LOVES her freedom, and I can't really see her settling down in the Fire Nation for too long. Not to mention that it's an ISLAND, and the idea that she'd be stuck on it for years may scare her from ever visiting without her friends nearby. 

Am I crazy for liking these ships? Absolutely. But hey, that's nothing new. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

I have nowhere else to say it, but my biggest ships in the series is Zuko & Toph (in a distant future (roughly five years from the end of the show)). But I also REALLY like the idea of seeing Azula & Aang. 

Azula & Aang:

Hide contents

AZULA AND AANG ARE NOT ARE NOT A GOOD MATCH. If Azula was going to date any guy on the show it would be Sokka. But Sokka's relationship with Suki is so solid I don't even want to think about it. Ergo, Azula and Aang. 

Why this would work: Aang needs an Azula in his life. Azula is a perfectionist and a very clever & efficient person. If left to his own devices, Aang would play around and explore all day. But with Azula by his side, he'd have no choice to get stuff done. Likewise, Aang would be one of possibly three people that would be able to get Azula to relax and let her guard down (Aang, Ty Lee, and possibly Zuko). Aang would also be pretty immune to Azula's mind-games (something only Mai has shown to be so far), and is an overall great sparring partner for her. 

Lastly, Aang would force Azula to explore the world on HIS terms, and that means getting along with people, understanding where they're coming from, and learning to adapt from those experiences. We see this happen with Sokka, Toph, and Zuko most of all, once they left their comfort zones and met new people. I believe that would be beneficial for Azula as well. 

How would this have played out?

Hide contents

In my head, this would have been the arc of a fourth season. It would start with Zuko trying to help Azula, and her shunning him at every turn until they find their mother. After that, Azula would ask for her bending to be taken away for a time by Aang because she would start to associate all of the problems in her life with it (in her mind power = bending, and power = problems, so bending = problems. I don't think she would be correct in her thinking, but it would be her choice and a VERY dangerous threat to Zuko's reign would be theoretically "taken care of"). Aang does so, and the two tour the world for a bit while the rest of the Gaang would have their own adventures during this season that would relate to a mysterious new Earth King and dealing with the fallout of a generational war. During this time, Azula, without bending of her own, teaches Aang to Lightningbend. After a bit, the two go on a journey in the Spiritual Realm, and after taking out the season's Big Bad, Aang would learn how to GRANT Bending, not just take it away. Azula would then ask how to become an Airbender, and the two would end up together. I feel like this symbolically harmonizes what happened in the last cycle while bringing a happy ending to the series - The Fire Nation's royal family, who wiped out the Air Nomads, become the first to assist in the Air Nomad's return; like Sozen and Roku, Aang and Zuko have become as close as brothers; and Aang may still be the Avatar, but he is no longer the Last Airbender. 

Problems with this not related to actual Canon events:

Hide contents

Azula already HAD an Aang in her life in the form of Ty Lee. Also, Aang needs a Katara FAR more than he needs an Azula (Katara doesn't need an Aang though, despite the benefits she gets from having a source of adventure and travel in her life). And Zuko and Toph are pretty strict teachers as it is. Lastly, going from "enemies to lovers" requires a bit of chemistry, which Aang and Azula really don't have. 

Next, Toph & Zuko:

Hide contents

I'm a sucker for "moody & stable" relationship dynamics. It's part of the reason I'm such a big fan of Jasnadin & Shadolin over Shalladin. Toph and Zuko are another such pairing. But there are a few reasons why I think they would work together.

First: NOBODY APPRECIATES UNCLE IROH LIKE TOPH DOES. Aang comes in close second, but Toph really likes the guy. I don't think I need another argument, but I'll keep going. 

Second: Toph is stable. Zuko is either dour or an emotional wreck, fluctuating between supremely stubborn or flaring tempers. Toph is good at handling all of that and dishing out truth all of the same. 

Third: Toph would be a PRICELESS ally to have as a ruler. She's a living lie-detector. Playing politics would be VERY hard to do when she's around, and Zuko could use that to his advantage quite easily (although it would be good for him to let his allies get away with some lies and half-truths, in order to preserve the effects for when they're most needed). 

Fourth: Toph needs her life changing adventure with Zuko, and I think it would be funny if her life-changing adventure is the rest of their lives together. 

Fifth: It's a decent symbol. For the Fire Nation to end the war, pay reparations, and then have an EARTH KINGDOM QUEEN would be very revolutionary, but it would also signal to the rest of the world that they are truly repentant for their ways. 

Sixth: Toph has no emotional baggage when it relates to the Fire Nation. Song was burned by the Fire Nation, Jin may not know enough to be a good ruler (despite me loving her character), and Katara DEFINITELY has baggage. 

How this would this have played out?

Hide contents

The easiest solutions would be that: Zuko is so busying dealing with the aftermath of a generational war, that he doesn't really have time to think about relationships or marriage for a couple of years. After that, he finds himself surrounded by eligible Fire Nation ladies and a court that has been playing games behind his back while he's been trying to heal wounds in the world. Zuko takes a quick sabbatical to Iroh's tea shop, and sees that Toph is there. Iroh mentions that Toph visits a lot when she's not traveling around or doing what she does. Zuko finds out that Toph still hasn't reconciled with her parents, and the two head out to the Be Fong estates. Toph's parents still won't recognize her independence; they ask who Zuko is, and after an accidental blunder, the the parents believe Zuko and Toph are engaged. From there the story could go in a couple of ways, but the main gist is that Zuko and Toph would have a casual betrothal (so that Toph can have an excuse to be away from her parents but is now on good terms with them while Zuko isn't surrounded by women who only want a title), and somewhere down the line it'd turn serious. 

Problems with this not related to Canon events:

Hide contents

None, because Toph's affection and respect for Iroh trumps all problems. 

But more seriously, the age gap would probably worry some people. I think it's still an appropriate age gap. 

There's also the issue of freedom. Toph LOVES her freedom, and I can't really see her settling down in the Fire Nation for too long. Not to mention that it's an ISLAND, and the idea that she'd be stuck on it for years may scare her from ever visiting without her friends nearby. 

Am I crazy for liking these ships? Absolutely. But hey, that's nothing new. 

Wow, I really like that Zuko-Toph ship, good reasoning!!

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, Lunamor said:

Hey it's coming.