What bender are you?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What bender are you?

13 minutes ago, The_Archivist said:

Nooooooo!!! It took me so long to get the first part of that song out of my head, and now it's back!

Sorry, not sorry. :D As soon as I saw the words Avatar, that song started playing in my head. 

I'm a coffee girl myself, but Iroh inspired me to drink tea. I don't think anyone else in my lifetime was able to persuade me to do that quite thoroughly. Now, I'm addicted to milk tea with tapioca pearls. Iroh invented bubble tea. There, I said it.

Avatar feels like it was created to show aspiring creators how to get their works together.  The first episode in my opinion is by far the worst in the entire series(because it is the first episode and it has to do all of the establishment) but even it is full of refreshingly good storytelling.  No one exposits randomly or says anything that I would not expect them to say in the real world, narration is kept to a minimum yet you are never confused by what is going on.  Five minutes in and you immediately know who each of the primary characters are, the skills they have, their attitudes, and what their goals are.  Nearly ever episode works fine as a stand alone yet it also has a cohesive overall story that is very good.  The worldbuilding is excellent, the art is amazing, the humor remains funny and the show manages to cover both slapstick and serious themes. 

Edited by Karger

11 hours ago, R J said:

Watch it or I'll eat you

*humming stops abruptly* 

11 hours ago, R J said:

...follow-up series called the Legend of Korra 

Oh hey, I’ve heard of that. Didn’t know it was a sequel series. 

My favorite episode is when Aang knows the Fire Lord has to go and everyone expects him to kill him so he consults with several of his pasts lives and asks for advice. I think the Ember Island spoof on all of their adventures was hilarious.

Also one of the coolest parts of the Avatars abilities is talking to their past selves.

Spoiler

It’s incredibly disappointing the Korra lost the ability and has no way of getting it back. All that experience and knowledge is just gone...

But I found Korra series to be a pale imitation of the original. It lacks focus, direction, and has several pacing issues. It was worth it to watch once but I’ll probably not watch it again. Also wasn’t a fan of their attempt at Steampunk which the world transformed into over just one generation.

Edited by Ammanas

Mmmm mmm mm. I didn’t know this legendary thread existed until 5 minutes ago and oh gosh I can not express my love for A:tla in words. All the way man. Love it. Leaves from the vine? Go ahead rip my heart out. First time I watched secret tunnel? Tried for an hour to get my forehead as red as Sokkas. Zuko? Oh you little- perfect man I love you with my whole heart. Any scene with Iron ever? It’s alright, I didn’t need those tears anyway 

the thing about Korra is its great on its own but compared to avatar it falls short, mostly because every season has its own arch instead of a multi-seasonal arch. I loved the first season though. Especially Wan's story

Edited by Hentient

8 minutes ago, Hentient said:

the thing about Korra is its great on its own but compared to avatar it falls short, mostly because every season has its own arch instead of a multi-seasonal arch. I loved the first season though. Especially Wan's story

Here’s the thing about Korra. It’s not supposed to be compared to Avatar. It takes place in the same world but it’s it’s own story.

The first time I watched Korra, I compared it to Avatar in every way and was so disappointed. I didn’t like the characters or the plot. I recently rewatched it and was amazed at how good it was. Of course it has its flaws like any other show, but it was so much better when I saw it as   purposefully different.

I do agree though that the fourth season was definitely the weakest.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone, I'm pretty sure Susebron is the Earth King???

*Ahem* They are both rulers of arguably the most important nation of their world. They both trusted the people closest to them but turns out they were lied to and sheltered their whole lives. They both had someone trying to talk to them for half a book, and last but not least they both have a pretty cool but underestimated sidekick. 

On 5/29/2020 at 3:44 PM, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

Here’s the thing about Korra. It’s not supposed to be compared to Avatar. It takes place in the same world but it’s it’s own story.

The first time I watched Korra, I compared it to Avatar in every way and was so disappointed. I didn’t like the characters or the plot. I recently rewatched it and was amazed at how good it was. Of course it has its flaws like any other show, but it was so much better when I saw it as   purposefully different.

I do agree though that the fourth season was definitely the weakest.

I love Korra, although the weakest season was not the last, it was definitely the second season- although the second season had some amazing moments, like the origin of the Avatar. Seasons 1 and 3 were AMAZING. 

Has anyone else here read any of the Avatar comics? I happen to own every one.