A little shop, in a small nook in a twisted alley.

Coffeecat

On 7/12/2020 at 3:43 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

"Of course, Lord.  Thank you very much for the spheres."

"And thank you!" Lord says, "let me know if you need anything else."

On 7/16/2020 at 4:13 PM, Sorana said:

"Do you also buy items?" he asked and looked through the clustered store again. Maybe here was another opportunity he hadn't considered so far.

"Oh..."

He was obviously referring to stolen items, he really doubted the boy would try to sell him worthless trinkets, and there was no way a pauper could get something Lord would be interested in...

legally.

"I am certainly interested!"

2 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"And thank you!" Lord says, "let me know if you need anything else."

"Do - do you by chance sell sewing things?  Or fabric?  Not anything particularly fancy, just warm, sturdy fabric.  Maybe breachtree cotton?"  She's blushing again, she can feel it.  Mist clinks his crystals together in a soothing rhythm.  Why does talking to people have to be so hard?

Cassie fiddled with her Soulcaster. She had said she would be back at her shop soon. Her... note... was rather important and she wanted to be at her shop before anyone came to respond.

"If you're going to be busy, Lord... maybe I should go. I shouldn't be away from the store so long."

@Lord_Silberfarben

Don't want to keep the Ghostbloods waiting :P

Pausing Mike nodded. "So the job's off?" he asked, cursing himself for not following the Anarchist. If he had, he would now know where and how to earn some money. A lot of money.

With a sigh he pushed himself of the wall and reached out for the door. "Well, I suppose I can leave in that case." he said quietly, avoiding Lord's eyes. He really, really had hoped for some decent work, but maybe, no probably it was better this way. The whole room, the building, they all felt wrong to him. It was as if something was here, something, that shouldn't be here, but it was anyway.

He tugged on his gloves again, pressed a hand against his forhead. It was confusing, all of it. Pain twitched in his chest and he frowned, ignored it. Just some muscle he repeatedly told himself. He knew, that if he looked no muscle would spasm, or move weirdly, it would simply be nothing there. Just a lighter circular shape on his otherwise darker skin. Nothing but this shape. Apart from the times when the shape brought a friend and there were two or even three.

Frowning he shook his head again. "I know where to find you." he nodded again, somehow still trying to keep the door open, to leave himself a chance.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:30 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

"Do - do you by chance sell sewing things?  Or fabric?  Not anything particularly fancy, just warm, sturdy fabric.  Maybe breachtree cotton?"  She's blushing again, she can feel it.  Mist clinks his crystals together in a soothing rhythm.  Why does talking to people have to be so hard?

"I'm afraid not, I could sell you a sewing machine, and happily point you towards the textile's alley"

On 7/17/2020 at 2:33 PM, Ashbringer said:

"If you're going to be busy, Lord... maybe I should go. I shouldn't be away from the store so long."

"Actually, I think we are almost finished, I am sure I can quickly get this Young lady whatever she needs."

On 7/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, Sorana said:

"So the job's off?

"Oh, not at all, unless you or Cassandra mind waiting for a few more minutes."

Only then does he notice the state the boy is in, muttering and looking dazed.

"Are you all right? do you need anything?"

yeah, sorry this thread is progressing so slowly.

1 hour ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"I'm afraid not, I could sell you a sewing machine, and happily point you towards the textile's alley"

"No, thank you,"  What's a sewing machine anyway?  Some kind of fabrial?  Freya shakes her head in bewilderment.  "Thank you for exchanging my spheres."  She turns to leave and frowns.  The young man  doesn't look good.  "Um, sir, do you need help?"

Surprised at the questions Mike looked up, bewilderment visible on his face. Rare that someone care enough to ask, even more some stranger on the street. "I don't mind waiting." he replied and shook his head again, tried to get rid of the thoughts in there.

"I don't know." he replied to their other questions. "If I'm okay I mean. I really though this was a bar, and now it's not." shaking his head he spread his hands. "I grew up on these streets, in the alleys. I know my way around. That I was wrong like that..." he trailed off, looked down at his shoes again. They were strangers, they had to think him some kind of idiot. Hugging himself he tried to get rid of the loneliness that crawled into his bones again. As if he was missing something. Something vital. As if a voice that had always spoken to him was silent now, too silent. As if he had never expected it to be silent and now craved its counsel.

Closing his eyes for a moment he collected himself. "I probably didn't eat enough." he amended his own words with a smile, tried to appear strong and self confident. He had to be. If not, he would die, die in the streets as so many had before him. The weak ones were to first ones to vanish. "That's all." a lie, a weak one, but it was the best he could come up with right now.

@Lord_Silberfarben @Spren of Kindness

"Are you sure?"  Freya says doubtfully.  Something about his behavior makes her think that it's more than just missing a meal.  "Um.  If you need help, I'm happy to do so."  She's fairly certain she's blushing again.  It's almost impossible for her to have conversations without blushing, or at least, that's what Mother had - she still doesn't want to think about that.

On 21.7.2020 at 8:40 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

"Are you sure?"  Freya says doubtfully.  Something about his behavior makes her think that it's more than just missing a meal.  "Um.  If you need help, I'm happy to do so."  She's fairly certain she's blushing again.  It's almost impossible for her to have conversations without blushing, or at least, that's what Mother had - she still doesn't want to think about that.

Was he? Mike closed his eyes, considered the question for a moment and then slowly shook his head. "I don't know." he repeated frustration leaking into his voice. He didn't. There was something wrong, something he couldn't place his finger on and it made him furious. As if something had been - lost somehow? He couldn't even name it.

"But maybe a meal would be a good start?" he asked with a weak smile. Freya seemed nice and he hadn't sat down to eat, to do nothing else but eat for longer than he knew. It was one thing to grab a an apple, or to hastily shove something in your mouth while walking and something else entirely to take some time for a meal. He reached into his pocket and touched the chrysts in there. He could afford a meal. It meant sending nothing to his family, but if he managed to grab and sell a few other things, it should work. It had to. His stomach grumbled again when he pictured eating something warm and tasty and he blushed, looked down at his feet.

"If you want to, that is."

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

Was he? Mike closed his eyes, considered the question for a moment and then slowly shook his head. "I don't know." he repeated frustration leaking into his voice. He didn't. There was something wrong, something he couldn't place his finger on and it made him furious. As if something had been - lost somehow? He couldn't even name it.

"But maybe a meal would be a good start?" he asked with a weak smile. Freya seemed nice and he hadn't sat down to eat, to do nothing else but eat for longer than he knew. It was one thing to grab a an apple, or to hastily shove something in your mouth while walking and something else entirely to take some time for a meal. He reached into his pocket and touched the chrysts in there. He could afford a meal. It meant sending nothing to his family, but if he managed to grab and sell a few other things, it should work. It had to. His stomach grumbled again when he pictured eating something warm and tasty and he blushed, looked down at his feet.

"If you want to, that is."

'I would love to," Freya says with a smile.  "Are there any good restaurants or stalls you know of?  I have some food, but it's not very good."  She cringes internally as she remembers her failed flatbread attempts.

15 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

'I would love to," Freya says with a smile.  "Are there any good restaurants or stalls you know of?  I have some food, but it's not very good."  She cringes internally as she remembers her failed flatbread attempts.

Mike went through the different bars and restaurants he knew in his head and then nodded. "We could go to the bleeding spike." he suggested. "It's not far." and it wasn't the most expensive as well.

He walked outside, inclined his head in greeting to Lord and Cassandra. "Have a great evening the two of you. And a happy festival."

Turning back to Freya he gestured in one direction. "The place is that way. It's not far." he'd already said that, he reminded himself. "Maybe ten or fifteen minutes by foot." Lifting his improvised mask to his face he tied the fabric behind his head.

Grinning at her he sketched a bow and then offered his arm. "Would my lady care to accompany me?"

9 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Mike went through the different bars and restaurants he knew in his head and then nodded. "We could go to the bleeding spike." he suggested. "It's not far." and it wasn't the most expensive as well.

He walked outside, inclined his head in greeting to Lord and Cassandra. "Have a great evening the two of you. And a happy festival."

Turning back to Freya he gestured in one direction. "The place is that way. It's not far." he'd already said that, he reminded himself. "Maybe ten or fifteen minutes by foot." Lifting his improvised mask to his face he tied the fabric behind his head.

Grinning at her he sketched a bow and then offered his arm. "Would my lady care to accompany me?"

"Um, thank you."  Freya knows that if Mist was looking at her right now, he would be teasing her.  Her face could probably pass for a ruby chip.  She takes Mike's arm.

Do we switch threads now, or?  I don't really know how this works.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

Lord nods back to the boy with a smile.

"Look at that, all he needed!"

"I never asked his name, oh never-mind," he says as he turns around to face Cassandra, "That is the beauty of owning a shop, you get to share their lives for a little while"

"Shall we go? Only 5 minutes walk from here."

Finally here, after the last customer-filled hour, the day was hopefully winding down.

On this Warehouse.

He quickly walked to the office, where he gave his name and asked for his order, and -- thinking of Cassandra -- asked for a little empty room he could use.

The warehouse workers were quick to put the two heavy crates one the side of the room, and left the room.

He game them a smile and waved at Cassandra.

"Here they are, ready..." he grunted as he pried the first crate open, "There! I just need these soulcast into the 16 metals, twelve of each metal."

"I brought charged Amethysts to replace any you break!"

Inside the crane, orderly arranged, were hundreds of wood-carved thick and long spikes.

Oh dear.

Cassandra stared at the wooden spikes. They were long, and surprisingly sharp for a set of wood. And they could only serve one purpose.

Well, a deal was a deal, she supposed.

"Wow. It'll take a while, but I think I can manage it," she said, pulling up her sleeve to expose her Soulcaster more. Then she reached into one of her pockets and pulled out a long, fused metal bar that served as her sample.

"Odd shape for a metalmind," she said disarmingly, as she begun shifting the first set of spikes into steel.

On 27/07/2020 at 2:07 AM, Ashbringer said:

"Odd shape for a metalmind,"

"Oh they are not metalminds..."

They both knew what they were, but some people didn't like to confront the truth.

Up to them to lie to themselves.

"...Just some shavings I had from another project." he answered in the same tone.

On 24.7.2020 at 8:42 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

"Um, thank you."  Freya knows that if Mist was looking at her right now, he would be teasing her.  Her face could probably pass for a ruby chip.  She takes Mike's arm.

Yes. I'll make the next post.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:42 PM, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"Oh they are not metalminds..."

They both knew what they were, but some people didn't like to confront the truth.

Up to them to lie to themselves.

"...Just some shavings I had from another project." he answered in the same tone.

So.

This man did know exactly what he was asking her to do.

16 metals, 12 spikes of each. Unless Lord was a truly adept Hemalurgist, that would be one hundred and ninety two souls that were up to be harvested.

And since the Inquisitors all died, there are no adept Hemalurgists, she thought. 

Well, a deal was a deal. And she never broke her word. Not even for this? she thought as she finished the bendalloy spikes.

No. Not even for this.

"That's the last of them," she said to Lord.

Coldly.

On 30/07/2020 at 4:11 AM, Ashbringer said:

"That's the last of them," she said to Lord.

He was about to point out there was another box, but thought twice.

most people didnt think twice in most cases. and in a few cases, they became not cases at all.

not everyone thought 'oh, perhaps i should not tell the angry soulcaster that she needs to soulcast more spikes' most of them would just go on without even one thought. 

sadly, most people ended up dying.

that was the truth of life, and if they did it with their soul on or not, they were still dead.

"Oh thank you very much!"

normal manners require he ask her whether she wanted him to accompany her home. but he decided not to.

"That is all for now, thank you very much," he smiles his most trustgaining smile

Cassie nodded to Lord. "Let me know when you'd like the next swap done."

Amethysts for spikes. Soulcasting for Hemalurgy. Stones for souls.

Truth be told, it wasn't that bad of a trade. There were worse things in this world. Voidbringers, koloss, even people who just liked murdering people for the fun of it who didn't even know Hemalurgy existed. 

At least, that's what she'd told herself. That's what she'd been telling herself for years.

She turned to leave, then stopped. "Do you have any amethysts for me? Or should I just stop by when I need more?"

@Lord_Silberfarben

On ‎1‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 4:45 AM, Ashbringer said:

"Do you have any amethysts for me? Or should I just stop by when I need more?"

sorry for the delay

"In fact, I brought this box here just for this occasion," He says rising the aforementioned box, "Ten Amethysts here, I'm sure they will serve."

Ten large amethysts. Together they would run her Soulcaster for... years.

Or they could each Soulcast something really, really big.

"Thank you," Cassie said, letting a sliver of a smile show on her face as she accepted the gems. Lord was keeping his bargain, to the letter.

She tucked the amethysts within her dress, then gave a slight bow to the salesman and walked toward the door. Then she hesitated.

She pointed her Soulcaster at the spikes. "Try not to use those on anyone I know?" she said with a coy smile.

Then she turned before Lord could say a word, grinning all the way.

Oh, the Ghostbloods would love to know about this.