A little shop, in a small nook in a twisted alley.

Coffeecat

6 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

maybe you want to insist and come with us?

Yes, thank you. Sorry, been a bit busy these days.

A shop. It was a shop with an owner, a customer and they were discussing to buy something, to soulcast something else. It was a shop. With a groan Mike pressed a hand over his face, closed his eyes and tried to sort his thoughts. He had taken the wrong alley. He had to have. There was no other way, no other possibility. Stumbling backwards he pressed his body again the door, needed to feel something solid and strong. A wrong alley. Nothing more, nothing less. It was so easy. No need to freak out over a wrong alley.

"I'm sorry." he said quietly, forced himself to open his eyes again. "I fear I mistook this alley for another one." But he couldn't. He vividly remembered the little turn at the beginning, the house with the chipped facade. He was in the right place. He knew it. Except for the one fact, that he wasn't. He was a teenager. He was allowed to take a wrong turn now and then. That was it. Nothing more. Only a wrong turn at night.

He repeated the thought again and again and again, telling himself that everything was harmless, ignoring the nagging voice that told him, that he knew, knew far too well how these alleys looked, that he always navigated them at night. Thinking about the tavern he tried to place it somewhere else, but couldn't. It was here. Maybe a building up or down, but here, here in this specific alley.

Straightening he looked at the other two, realized that he wasn't reaching the same height they did. Smiling awkwardly, he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I appear to have gotten lost." he admitted, and despite the fact that he was standing in a shop he hadn't known it existed the words tasted like a lie. "If I could come along, could you maybe point out a few waypoints for me?"

On 6/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, Sorana said:

"I appear to have gotten lost." he admitted, and despite the fact that he was standing in a shop he hadn't known it existed the words tasted like a lie. "If I could come along, could you maybe point out a few waypoints for me?"

"Of course, of course, you can come."

"Cassandra, i assume you brought equipment for extensive soulcasting?"

@Ashbringer

Hmm...

i was originally planning to have cassandra soulcast something in my basement, but just for roleplay flow, we could go somewhere.

hmmm

it is a wharehouse, some alleys from here...

should we continue in this topic?

Edited by Lord_Silberfarben

"I never let my Soulcaster out of my sight," Cassie replied, smiling and showing the bracelet. She wasn't exactly comfortable with this stranger knowing about her Soulcaster, but it couldn't be helped. She wasn't exactly worried about thieves anyway.

"What is it you need?"

It might be easier to just continue in this thread instead of making a new one.

If you want to have it happen in your basement, there is also a 'house scenes' thread. It's for scenes at the homes of characters. Alternatively the 'Alleycity' thread can handle locations that are anywhere in the city and don't warrant a thread of themselves. We can also stay here - just as you prefer.

Mike stepped away from the door, to get out of their way. Shame wrapped around his intestines. He had to ask for the way, just like some newly arrived worldhopper. He always had been proud to have grown up here, in this city full of different people. He had smiled upon those that no clue about their whereabouts, that had inquired about the crater and those living there curiously. He had smiled at them, shown them the way and picked their pockets sometime during the process. The easiest targets were those that arrived to learn about the city, that were curious and willing to pay nearly any price for knowledge. Or unwilling. He didn't really care.

His hand fiddled with his gloves, he had cut the fingers off but tended to wear them daily, despite the fact that they made it a little harder to slip hins hand unnoticed into a targets pocket. One time he even had been nearly caught because a part of the fabric had been caught on a button, and he couldn't pull away again. And yet, he still wore them, felt more comfortable to keep them around. He didn't entirely know why, but without them he felt naked, as something bad would happen very, very soon. With them, he felt more secure, as if wearing them alone was enough to keep all kinds of bad things at bay.

Taking some time while the other two talked he let his gaze move throughout the shop. It was tiny, poor compared to the larger ones closer to the main streets. He wasn't entirely sure what they sold, but with some luck, maybe he would be able to get a few chrysts out of this adventure. But first, first the two had to agree on something to soulcast. Mike eyed the soulcaster with a hint of suspicion in his eyes, he had heard stories about people whose legs had been turned into stone, screaming until their voice was hoarse, until their lungs appeared to give out, while they slowly bled to death. He had heard about a man, whose eye had been exchanged for a jewel, after he'd tried to rob the wrong ones, and after days of fewer he had died alone, weak in a dark alley. He doubted that they would do something like that in front of a stranger, but still, the stories had left a bad taste in his mouth, made him weary of anybody who was able to condemn people to such an awful death. Better use a knife. It was quick and clean and personal. When you had to look into the eyes of your victim, when you heard them gasp their last breath. This way was better. Fairer.

"If there is any way, I can be of assistance?" he offered, mostly to appear harmless. The last thing he needed was them thinking of him as a threat and try to get rid of him just around the next corner. He was young enough that most tended to underestimate him, called him boy or young man and while he was able to hold himself quite well, two against one were bad odds for anybody. Better to appear helpfull and harmless and just ignore the fact, that he'd asked for a beer in completely the wrong place.

Sorry i did not reply earlier.

Lets move it to a random warehouse(in this thread) cause you already asked to go with us in an alley. and i already said we should go somewhere.

On 6/21/2020 at 1:47 AM, Ashbringer said:

"I never let my Soulcaster out of my sight," Cassie replied, smiling and showing the bracelet. She wasn't exactly comfortable with this stranger knowing about her Soulcaster, but it couldn't be helped. She wasn't exactly worried about thieves anyway.

"What is it you need?"

On 6/22/2020 at 4:24 PM, Sorana said:

"If there is any way, I can be of assistance?"

He looked at both of them, and blinked.

"Well, I have a few items I need Soulcast, and I will also need those items carried to a more private place, so Ms Adama can soulcast more comfortably."

"And for you," he said looking at the other customer, "there might be so chrysts in for you if you help me move those items."

"Shall we go?"

"Great! I'll be right along," Cassie responded. She wasn't entirely sure what Lord wanted to Soulcast, but she had made a deal.

She was also worried about the newcomer. Soulcasting was secretive, especially for an... experienced user like herself. Plus she wasn't a Radiant, so losing her Soulcaster was a worry, albiet one her Allomancy could avert.

Mike walked over to the things the Lord had indicated and bent forward, picked them up one after the other. They weren't heavy, but despite having eaten today he still felt a little light headed. If he had a chance, he should probably go and grab something else. Maybe he would be able to find a slice of bread somewhere.

"A few chrysts sound fine." he agreed to Lord's proposition, somehow glad that at least he got some money out of this. Add to that the walltes he manged to grab this night, he should be able to pay for a few meals for his family for a while. His stomach growled when his thoughts rested on roasted potatoes for a moment but he pushed them aside. His family was more important. Better he starve than they did.

"Where do you need me to carry these things?" he inquired, noting a slightly worried look from the soulcaster. Probably not too happy about a spectator. He smiled at her, tried to put her at ease, to convey that there was no reason to distrust him. It wasn't entirely true, if he could he would probably pick her pocket as well, but he was going for chrysts and food, or other useful items, nothing as expensive as a soulcaster. He suspected he knew where to sell it, but he wasn't looking forward to being hunted down. A harmless pickpoket was left alone - someone who grabbed dangerous things like a soulcaster easily ended with a flag 'target' flowing above their head by one of the guilds. Mike didn't expect to live long, in contrast he suspected he would die soon, stabbed to death in some unnamed alley, but at least this was a risk he knew how to deal with, this was about thugs, about those that were like him. Living from the scraps the rich ones like those around him left over. A guild - a guild was something else and they were dangerous. Better to stay away from them.

He lifted his head when the door opened but kept quiet when the woman asked about buying something. Not his shop - not his business. He nodded curtly in her direction, mostly out of politeness and because he wasn't entirely sure who these people were. It was always possible, that they used him as muscle now, only to get rid of him later. Whatever it was, that they were planning to do, it wouldn't hurt to appear polite and harmless.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:49 PM, Sorana said:

"Where do you need me to carry these things?"

Huh, i meant for you to carry boxes from the warehouse to a nearby room, but i guess i wasn't clear on that

"Oh, they are not heavy, just keys," he smiled, "You didn't expect me to pay you to carry those."

He walked up to the door, but as he was about to grab a coat from a nearby hanger, he was surprised when someone knocked softly and stepped in.

Another customer.

he rarely got one customer, and now he had two.

Technically, one of them was not a customer, but the boy seemed hungry, give him something to feed himself, and meanwhile get him moving.

He was about to speak his usual greetings, welcome, what can we offer you...

On 6/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

"I heard I could purchase a canteen here?"

"A canteen?" he was shocked, but tried not to show it, "I am sorry, i think you misunderstood."

"Unless you want a self chilling canteen... or a heating one."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Freya hurriedly says, twisting her hands.  She can feel herself blushing.  "Sorry for bothering you."  She turns to leave, and Mist squeezes her wrist comfortingly where he sits as a sort of vine bracelet.  She pauses.  "Actually, do you sell infused spheres, or exchange them?"

11 hours ago, Sorana said:

A harmless pickpoket was left alone - someone who grabbed dangerous things like a soulcaster easily ended with a flag 'target' flowing above their head by one of the guilds.

Or Cassie would just Lurch it back to herself, with or without the unnamed pickpocket attached. Or... partially attached.

Messing with her Soulcaster is REALLY unhealthy :D

In the meantime, Cassie may drop out “en-route” to the warehouse to submit a note to the Ghostbloods, which should just take a post or so.

“I do have a stop I’d like to make on the way,” Cassie said. “I have a letter I want delivered, and I don’t really want to use the post for it. It shouldn’t take long.”

20 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

Huh, i meant for you to carry boxes from the warehouse to a nearby room, but i guess i wasn't clear on that

ahhh. I thought we were all going to the warehouse, so you need them to be carried there. My mistake.

Mike shrugged, when the man confirmed that his task wasn't as easy as he had expected. Not that he really cared, as long as he got some payment for it, it would work for him. "Sure." He agreed and felt a little out of place when the man turned towards his next customer. He should have left the moment he realized he was wrong here. Better to leave with his pride bruised, than this.

Leaning against a sturdy looking shelf next to the door he eyed the three of them, trying to decide wether he should make a go for their wallets or not. Maybe wait. If he could find work here, a place where he belonged, then it would be better to stay in their good graces. Loneliness wrapped itself around his heart and he noticed the feeling, it was familiar. It wasn't the first time he had been standing next to a group of people, but not belonging. Never belonging. Nothing but an attachment, easily to be deleted.

Closing his eyes for a moment he took a deep breath, and then opened them again. He was alone. He had always been and he was fine with it. He had chosen to work alone, because it was the best place for him to be. Nobody he depended on, nobody to blackmail him, to steal his money. Better to be alone. Unconciously he lifted his hand, tapped against his chest. It was a weird gesture, as if he expected something to be there, something that actually wasn't. Apart from a scar or two, his skin was smooth and even. And yet he couldn't stop himself. Touch his skin, count to six, brush over a seventh spot. He had done it for as long as he could think. Something was missing and annoyingly he couldn't pinpoint it. It was nothing but a feeling, a feeling he could neither place nor understand. Something, someone was missing, as if he had lost a part of his soul without noticing. Just like one of these love songs, when it took nothing more but a single glance from the singer to fall eternally in love with some random girl. A girl who took his heart, who left him aching for the lost thing, maybe even without even noticing what had happened. Without really noticing he quietly started to hum to himself a chorus fitting his thoughts, the words moving through his head in accordance with the music.

Under the lights tonight
You turned around, and you stole my heart

With just one look, when I saw your face
I fell in love
It took a minute girl to steal my heart tonight
With just one look, yeah
I waited for a girl like you

But he had met no girl. He had done nothing else apart from stealing a few little things left and right. He had done nothing apart from trying to get enough money for his family to survive and to fill his stomach now and then. And yet, something was missing. Not his heart, something else. Something vital, despite the fact that he wasn't able to place his finger on it. He needed to find it, to regain it. And then, then he would know. Maybe then, then he would find a place where he belonged.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:46 AM, Ashbringer said:

“I do have a stop I’d like to make on the way,” Cassie said. “I have a letter I want delivered, and I don’t really want to use the post for it. It shouldn’t take long.”

On 6/29/2020 at 11:46 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

"Actually, do you sell infused spheres, or exchange them?"

"Actually, Cassie... I think you should go deliver your note right now, and i shall stay a while longer to discuss terms with this young lady. yes i do trade infused spheres. i am sure we can make a deal fast enough to catch Ms Adama in warehouse 224, just down this alley."

2 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"Actually, Cassie... I think you should go deliver your note right now, and i shall stay a while longer to discuss terms with this young lady. yes i do trade infused spheres. i am sure we can make a deal fast enough to catch Ms Adama in warehouse 224, just down this alley."

"Oh, wonderful!" Freya says.  "Thank you so much.  How much will it cost?"

On 7/1/2020 at 0:49 AM, Ashbringer said:

I assume that I would just come back to this thread?

On 7/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, Sorana said:

I think so.

Correct, i will ping you when the negotiation is done, and we can skip to the warehouse(if you already gave that mysterious letter)

On 7/1/2020 at 0:54 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

"Oh, wonderful!" Freya says.  "Thank you so much.  How much will it cost?"

"Well, for every ten Diamond chips we swap, i will require an extra diamond chip, for every ten Emerald broams we swap, i will require an extra one Emerald broam. "

"What do you say, only ten percent."

"Ten percent?"  She asks doubtfully.  "Um, just a minute."  She turns away, holding out her palm.  "Mist, how many do I have?"

"you have twenty chips," Mist says in his odd, rustling voice as he curls onto her palm.  "Diamond.  And you still have the two sapphires.  If you must, get those ones infused first, they will hold more."

"Thanks, Mist."  Freya turns back.  "I have ten diamond chips and two sapphire marks I would like swapped, please."

The Anarchist strolled down the alley, stopping at the little shop. Hopefully this shop would sell explosives. Sure, the Metallurgic Emporium only sold metal, but they didn't have ettmetal? Seriously? With a dramatic entrance involving a flip, a twirl, and a hat toss, the Anarchist said, "Got any explosives?"

Mike whirled around, stared at the newcomer. Explosives. He was asking for explosives. Well, that was the first interesting request he'd heard tonight. He liked working with explosives, especially with smaller charges to get rid of a door or two, to blow open a stubborn safe or to distract a couple of guards. If possible he prefered to work completely quietly, it was harder to work in silence, than to throw a bomb somewhere, wait for everybody to run there and then take what you could. But sometimes they offered an edge, and advantage he would be stupid neglecting.

He eyed the man, the way he wore his hair, the way he held himself. He looked rich enough to pay, rich enough that he might even buy more than one charge. Good, very good. "Are you new to the city?" he asked, although the reply was rather obvious. If he had been here for a while, he would already have established a supplier network. Unless he needed the explosives only once, and never again. But no, he didn't seem like that. There was too much drama, to much self-confidence in the way he moved and acted. This wasn't the first time he was looking for something like that. Interesting. And with some luck, maybe he would turn into a customer for Mike himself.

Considering the idea, and where to get some he tried to capture the man's eyes with own and then inclined his head a slight fragment, hoped that the others would stare at the man as well and miss his small, tiny gesture completely. Or if they noticed it, mistook it for the greeting nod he'd offered to the woman, Freya. He knew where to get explosives and especially if the Lord didn't sell them - then he was the one able to help out. And helping out meant chrysts. And chrysts meant food and food meant a night without cramps in his stomach. A good night, it was indeed a very good night.

2 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

Hey, does anyone have any idea what is the conversion rate between sphere?

I think ten diamond chips make a mark, is that right?

If it's the same type of gemstone, it's 5 chips to a mark and 4 marks to a broam. Converting between them is more complicated. A sapphire mark is the equivalent of 125 diamond chips. There's a whole conversion table on the Coppermind.