A little shop, in a small nook in a twisted alley.

Coffeecat

A little shop.

Above the door, a wooden sign subduedly claims:

The Silbershire

Don't break anything or face our wrath

Don't presume to know what something will do

Something leaves the shop unpaid, and it will be forcefully retrieved

If you can't find something, talk to the clerk, I will get you anything for a price

Don't even dare bring fire into the shop, if you value breathing.

The inside of the shop is not much better organized than the alley outside. Disorderly and crammed with outlandish inventions, it is a place of nooks and crannies, where everything seems part of a single, big and awkward body of wood and metal.

Through the maze-like confines of the shop, stands a desk.

Behind the desk is Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben.

Edited by Lord_Silberfarben

Cassandra Adama grinned to herself, tugging along her wagon of swords, sweets, metals, and other odds and ends that she had purchased. She came up to a small store in a tight nook. The Silbershire, she read, along with a long list of warnings and proclamations. Curious.

Cassie entered the store, looking around, bringing her cart inside and leaving it at the door. “Hello? Sir?” she asked, trying not to catch her lavender dress on anything that looked sharp or staining. “What is it you sell here? I’ve never seen so many of these... contraptions.”

2 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

“Hello? Sir?”

Lord looked left, lowering his thick spined book.

A customer, so soon?

He scrambled out of his couch and hastily left the book in the small table, the only other furniture in the small room

Through the door, on the other side of the stained desk, a customer made her way cautiously around the objects filling the room.

By the one who adds, blast it! He thought has he realized he still had his ocular contraption--He still hadn't given it a proper name--attached to his head.

He touched it, considered taking it out, but the costumer had already seen him.

2 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

“What is it you sell here? I’ve never seen so many of these... contraptions.”

Too bad, he had planned to present himself to his costumers without it.

Upside-down view would not slow negotiating, but having a storming machine strapped to his head would.

Too late.

"Oh I sell whatever you ask for," he waved his hands towards the shop, "Most of what you see here are antiques I found thorough the alleycity."

"Oh im Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben," he said proffering a hand, "pleased to meet you."

"And the most interesting of my pieces are by commission only. Any piece of ingenuity you ask for! We make it."

11 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"Oh I sell whatever you ask for," he waved his hands towards the shop, "Most of what you see here are antiques I found thorough the alleycity."

"Oh im Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben," he said proffering a hand, "pleased to meet you."

"And the most interesting of my pieces are by commission only. Any piece of ingenuity you ask for! We make it."

"I'm Cassandra Adama. But everyone calls me Cassie," she replied, shaking the owner's hand. Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben. A Shin man, then. He looked the part, even if he did have that strange device on his head.

Half your arm is made of metal, Cassie chided herself. To each their own.

"I'm not really looking for anything in particular. I'm a metallurgist myself; I own a shop down the road a bit."

She started glancing around, searching for anything that would catch her interest. Then a thought occured to her. "Would you happen to sell amethysts? I'm a Soulcaster, and my supply of gems has been quite sporadic lately."

7 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

'm not really looking for anything in particular. I'm a metallurgist myself; I own a shop down the road a bit."

Interesting, thought Lord, perhaps we could arrange something profitable for both of us.

Getting metal was not hard nowadays, but a soulcaster--He assumed this... Cass, was a soulcaster due to her metal looking arm, which he had learned happened to soulcasters who worked too much with the same material--would be very useful, since he could ask her to turn a wooden sketch into metal.

This could be very profitable.

he could carve a piece of wood and turn it into metal!

7 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

"Would you happen to sell amethysts? I'm a Soulcaster, and my supply of gems has been quite sporadic lately."

A soulcaster indeed.

"Oh, I am sure I have a few... lemme..."

He headed back through his reading room, and into the storage.

After a few minutes, he emerges with a box with a few color stripes at the top. IIII

"I had an epic make these for me. You see. They are almost useless to me! I only had to design her a Hoopak like the one I have!"

"There," he said putting the box in the desk and opening it, "See, I really hope created amethysts work as fine as the natural ones."

"Are you interested? I'm sure we could arrange a mutual-benefit deal, I'm always in need for more metal! And the ability to turn anything into metal..."

42 minutes ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"There," he said putting the box in the desk and opening it, "See, I really hope created amethysts work as fine as the natural ones."

"Are you interested? I'm sure we could arrange a mutual-benefit deal, I'm always in need for more metal! And the ability to turn anything into metal..."

Oh dear. I forgot about Shin negotiating. Luckily Cassie has a better memory.

I actually couldn’t find anything about whether an artificial amythest will work or not, but since it’s Epic made I’m saying it will.

“They look alright,” Cassie replied, comparing the proffered stones to the ones within her Soulcaster. She didn’t like showing the fabrial off to people, but this Shin salesman would already know, perhaps even before she offered the information. She noticed a strange glint in the man’s eye - this was a true businessman, and he smelled a deal. Time to play the bait.

“Assuming it works, I’d be glad to join a business venture. I own modest shop in the market district, although all I really sell are Allomantic metals and the occasional Soulcasting commission.” She looked up from the crystals, smiling. “I’d be happy to make a deal, say... your supply of amethysts for a regular Soulcasting appointment?” she offered, maintaining eye contact. The man’s instinct was right - this could be a very good arrangement for them both.

She looked back at the strip of crystal. “Do you mind if I test it? I’ll pay in advance in case it fails or cracks,” she responded, reaching into satchel. “I’m afraid I don’t have much to barter with besides crysts. How much?” 

She searched around within her bag. “I could probably find something in here if you want some collateral.”

[OCC]I don't think my amethysts are infused tho... that could be a problem, i dont know how you manage to infuse your gems...

She looked back at the strip of crystal. “Do you mind if I test it? I’ll pay in advance in case it fails or cracks,” she responded, reaching into satchel. “I’m afraid I don’t have much to barter with besides crysts. How much?” 

She searched around within her bag. “I could probably find something in here if you want some collateral.”

"Oh nononono, don't worry."

"It is just a piece of stone to me, and I don't think it will break if it is not suitable."

Edited by Lord_Silberfarben

11 minutes ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"It is just a piece of stone to me, and I don't think it will break if it is not suitable."

Oooh, good point. I think mine are just infused via Alleystorm, or however everyone manages to do it.

“Alright then, I’ll give it a shot.” Cassie replied, picking one purple gem out of the set, and swapped it for one from her Soulcaster. Then she fished around in her bag and pulled out a pencil. A useful thing to carry around, but easily replacible. She carefully transfered it two her metal left hand, then tapped it with her Soulcasting fingers.

Become... steel, she thought, pushing the power within the caster into the pencil.

Nothing happened.

For a brief instant, Cassie was dejected. It would have been such a good opprotunity... storm it.

Wait, no... Stormlight! The artificial gems weren’t holding any stormlight. No Stormlight, no power, no Soulcasting.

Cassie tried to look optimistic. “As you can see it didn’t work, but I have an idea why. There’s no Stormlight in these gems, and I can’t Soulcast without it. We may have to wait for the next Alleystorm.”

Unless...

She looked around. “Do you have anything here that could move the Stormlight from the gems I have to this amethyst? That would speed things up considerably, and be a useful contraption to buy.”

12 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Oooh, good point. I think mine are just infused via Alleystorm, or however everyone manages to do it.

Is there such a thing as an alleystorm? interesting.

Also, I don't think it is possible to pass stormlight from gem to gem, and im not confident enough to make it up.

without a surgebinder...

perhaps a good time for your dustbringer to appear... Tyrian.

She stared at the pencil in her hand for a few seconds, then a wave of dejection, and then realization.

“As you can see it didn’t work, but I have an idea why. There’s no Stormlight in these gems, and I can’t Soulcast without it. We may have to wait for the next Alleystorm.”

Of course, why hadn't he thought of that?

“Do you have anything here that could move the Stormlight from the gems I have to this amethyst? That would speed things up considerably, and be a useful contraption to buy.”

"Oh, I wish I had something of that sort."

"We might have to wait for the next storm indeed, whenever that is."

"But that idea of yours, a contraption to move Stormlight," he looked back at her, "Would you be interested in commissioning it?"

"I will look into it anyways, I have some Cosmere theorists among my friends, but if you commissioned it yours would come at a great discount."

"What do you think?"

EDIT:

Sorry, there is something wrong with my quotes, and I am not able to fix it

Edited by Voidus
Fixed

3 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

Is there such a thing as an alleystorm? interesting.

There is. It's like a tad less destructive version of a highstorm, but it's spren is the Alleyspren. (It's creation was rped during the Seven Day War in E1.)
The Alleystorm replenishes all kinds of Investiture. Sometimes we announce that it hits the city as some kind of plot element, and during that period of time Invesititure is basically endless and stronger than usual.

I think I remember the device existing (briefly) in Oathbringer, but it's a spren tech so it's fair to be hard to make. I have to remind myself that fabrials actually need Stormlight fairly often.

Tyrian could solve the problem, but bringing him here would be bringing a semi-literal bull into a semi-literal china shop. It would not go well. He doesn't like Cassie much, and he wouldn't care to do it anyway. Another Surgebinder would be the best chance.

"I'd be glad to commission such a device. It could be useful in letting me Soulcast more often; I wouldn't have to swap out the gemstones so often," Cassie replied, setting down the gem sample. "If all else fails, I can find a Surgebinder to move the light into these gems, or simply wait for the Storm to arrive."

Cassie looked around at the store's contents. "In the meantime... I'd be interested in any devices you may have that can manipulate metal. I have an idea to put on a show for the masquerade, but the less I need to use my Soulcaster, the easier I can repeat a performance."

4 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

"If all else fails, I can find a Surgebinder to move the light into these gems, or simply wait for the Storm to arrive."

4 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

"In the meantime... I'd be interested in any devices you may have that can manipulate metal. I have an idea to put on a show for the masquerade, but the less I need to use my Soulcaster, the easier I can repeat a performance."

"That sounds interesting."

"And what exactly might you be looking for?" He waves around, "I have magnets if that is what you mean"

He smiles encouragingly.

“I’d be interested in a strong magnet, if you have one,” Cassie replied. “If I can get a sample, and it’s metallic enough, I may be able to Soulcast more of them.”

She turned back toward the walls of devices. “I was imagining something more... spectacular. Anything that could be used in a show, or in metalworking. Maybe some form of anti-magnet. A Push instead of a Pull.”

Cassie turned back toward Lord, a coy smile on her face. “Perhaps... would you have some form of superconductor? Invested or scientific makes no difference.”

Neodynium magnets ARE metallic, and I should be able to Soulcast them (they contain Boron, which is metalloid, but I’ll say it works).

Superconductors are wierd. When cooled enough, they lose any magnetism (among other things) and then levitate if put over a magnet. A few other things could do this to some degree (like bismuth metal).

This is why I like Cassie so much. You all have your Investiture, but I have SCIENCE!

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

“I was imagining something more... spectacular. Anything that could be used in a show, or in metalworking. Maybe some form of anti-magnet. A Push instead of a Pull.”

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

“Perhaps... would you have some form of superconductor? Invested or scientific makes no difference.”

"Oh I would think..."

"Yes, if you want a push instead of a pull, I don't think superconductors are necessary."

"Two magnets can repel each other as well as attract."

"That way you would not need to cool a superconductor, but instead only flip a normal magnet."

"What do you think?"

Now that I think of it, I doubt Cassie could get a mechanical superconductor to work.

"Something that could Push other metals would be useful as well. A sort of mechanical Steelpush, rather than just magnetics," Cassie responded. She took out a scrap of paper from her bag, then moved her pencil into her right hand and started scribbling.

"So I have... a commission for a Stormlight-shifting device, a potent magnet, and maybe a Steelpush device." 

She looked up. "Any other devices that you have that you think a metallurgist would be interested in?"

Superconducting magnets don't push, normally. The reason they float above magnets is because of a different effect (not entirely sure how it works, but it's related to how superconductors eject magnetic field lines). Unlike actual magnets or metals they can actually levitate stably though, which is why they're useful for that. They aren't magnetic by default though, instead the reason they're useful is because they can generate extremely powerful electromagnetic fields when current flows through them. This basically follows the same principles as normal electromagnets, but the fact that they have no electrical resistance allows you to put way more current through them. The only issue is that if magnetic fields or currents around the metal change too fast it loses it's superconducting properties, which is why most superconducting systems need to ramp up the current very slowly.

Also, mechanical superconductors aren't really a thing. A superconductor is simply a material in which a specific quantum mechanical effect occurs when cooled below a certain temperature (maximum temperature a classical superconductor can function at is 30 Kelvin). Specific crystals (YCBO, BSCCO) can exhibit similar effects as well at higher temperatures, but this works through a different mechanism that we don't yet understand.

She could probably get a YCBO superconductor to work though. You can create those using high-school chemistry lab equipment IIRC, and they only require liquid nitrogen to cool, not liquid helium, so you could probably acquire that somewhere in the city.

Yeah, my knowledge of superconductors is from a single book page and wikipedia. Mechanical meant YCBO or traditional ones, as opposed to something using an electrical current, which I’m still not sure if the Alleycity has yet.

Regardless, I doubt Cassie has reasonable access to liquid nitrogen. She works with metal; she’s not a full-on chemist, so I don’t know if she could actually get that working or not. She probably understands supeconductors worse than I do.

Cassie mainly wants a complement to her Ironpulls and probable magnet Soulcasting. Something that pushes metals or magnets away. I think I can do it to some degree with Bismuth and some magnets, but having something more potent, Invested or not, would be cool. (There’s also pyrolytic graphite, which will hover over a magnet on its own, but that’s not a metal, and Soulcasting the magnet itself is a bit of a stretch.)

I'm not sure if you can create something that'll push metals away? You can for magnets, but metals will always be attracted no matter the polarity of the magnet IIRC. (though even with magnets they'll probably just flip around instead).

Also, I don't think you can create superconductors using electrical current?

Edited by kenod

I don’t know of any physical method besides bismuth (which slightly repells magnets), so I’m more looking for an Invested way. Something similar to the ettmetal device, but less powerful or OP. Maybe a fabrial or something. They can attract smoke, why not repel metal?

I don’t think electricity can turn something into a superconductor, but it can make them do weirder things. Or something. I don’t really know.

Edit: I think I was thinking of an electromagnet to repel stuff, not an electric superconductor.

Edited by Ashbringer
Electromagnet

Good point. Some sort of repelling fabrial tuned to metal is I think the best bet. Cassie gets fabrials more than Aons, and a trigger could stop feeding Stormlight to it if disrupting the actual fabrial is too hard.

Nothing too potent, though. I want metal to float, not launch into something like a coinshot.

Thanks for the help!