Mid-Range Game 42: The Auction of Lord Winsting

1 hour ago, Elkanah said:

With gambling Tycoons in the mix, we are probably playing with more like 34-ish players. We get almost as much information out of lynching them as we would by killing someone, and we retain their votes. It will be very interesting to see what roles the elims got. What would be really funny is if both Dowser and 5th Constable both were gambling tycoons, though I'm not sure Joe is quite that sadistic.

I'm not sure what you mean by this... gambling tycoons could fall under any alignment, right? Even Bleeder (unless I missed something that precludes that).

Finishing my exhaustive (if shallow) review of the rules:

Whoever has the most votes will be lynched. If there is a tie for most votes, both parties will be lynched.There is no vote minimum, except the first hour, which has a 3 vote minimum.

The 3-vote minimum might make it difficult for a lynch to go through, but the back and forth of votes may still be able to gain us information.

Votes cannot be retracted unless they are replaced with a new vote.

An atypical mechanic.

My brain is somewhat exhausted, currently... and a good chunk of my original post got deleted. *sigh* 

6 minutes ago, Matrim's_Dice said:

But Araris Valerian is 29th on the list.

I'm sorry Straw, this is too strange to ignore.

On the player list in the signups, players were ordered by sign-up order. At the beginning of this turn, they are organized alphabetically (with some starting words omitted). 

Good catch from Xino about Elkanah's thing on Gambling Tycoons. We don't get a role flip from them until they die, AFAIK, so I don't think they give us that much information.

I find it interesting in hindsight that Matrim jumped on me right after Wilson. There's a slight possibility that he was trying to jump on her vote and get a lynch train on me.

7 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

"Bodyguards!!!!"

"To me!"

Rust and ruin where were they?

"Nahr! you fictitious fool!"

"Julius! I need you!"

They had chosen the best moment for a drink...

He looked up from his crouch, Yes, drinks, that is where they would be.

Still crouching, he advanced towards the tables where drinks had once proudly stood, his fine feet crunching over equally fine cutlery.

And then he

He started at his bloody shirt.

Nahr's blood.

Nahr was

"JULIUS where are you!"

@Lord_Silberfarben

"Aha! You called? Do you need a new shirt sir?"

He stood by the door, a cup of wine in hand. "Oh dear. What's this..."

16 minutes ago, Straw said:

Good catch from Xino about Elkanah's thing on Gambling Tycoons. We don't get a role flip from them until they die, AFAIK, so I don't think they give us that much information.

I find it interesting in hindsight that Matrim jumped on me right after Wilson. There's a slight possibility that he was trying to jump on her vote and get a lynch train on me.

I noticed Araris was 29th before I read Wilson's post, so it was sort of like I was ninja'd, but not really since she posted before I did. Either way I realize the confusion Straw.

The only problem now is that I have to vote on someone else.... Archivist I guess, following Straw's pattern of the first inactive person on the list. I'm not gonna say Araris because I don't want to start a train on someone who hasn't posted anything.

35 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this... gambling tycoons could fall under any alignment, right? Even Bleeder (unless I missed something that precludes that).

My point is we have more deaths and lynches to reach lylo than we normally would. A lot of information comes from who is voting for whom and therefore having extra lynches and cycles lends itself to giving us more time to solve the game.

51 minutes ago, little wilson said:

also, heres a question for anyone - you know the shortened word for casual the one that's almost like cash? how do you spell that cuz i don't think it's cash, but i can't think of what else it would be? caj? that makes no sense but i really want to say super cash/caj/whatever it is cuz thats even more casual but i dont know how to spell it. its a problem.

til -  its caszh. whod a thunk?

so the correct description of how imma playing this game is super caszh. yepp. :)))

according to burnt you hit enter after almost every sentence and according to stink you never hit backspace. these are good tips. i like.

1 hour ago, little wilson said:

straw and karnage. so straw. get rekt.

This wouldn't be about my asking so many questions in LG65 would it?

Also. Yo Fura hows it going? Any thoughts? I'll change it if you respond this hour.:P

Also... Little Wilson, I get that you want to relax and try a different play style, and I don't want you to change just for me, this is just a comment but, your new play style is very disconcerting and confusing to say the least. I can't tell if your just doing this to discombobulate everyone, or really just to relax and play a different style, or if you are using ti to hide any suspicious note that could somehow be written in. 

Anyway this seems like an interesting way to play and I am so excited to play with such a wide variety of players.

@Furamirionind

Edit: It looks like I got ninja'd by Wilson

1 minute ago, Karnage said:

Also... Little Wilson, I get that you want to relax and try a different play style, and I don't want you to change just for me, this is just a comment but, your new play style is very disconcerting and confusing to say the least. I can't tell if your just doing this to discombobulate everyone, or really just to relax and play a different style, or if you are using ti to hide any suspicious note that could somehow be written in. 

i briefly thought about making this my one post in this game where i adhere to traditional capitalization and punctuation but no. if i lighten up once ill do it more and i dont want that.

to answer your question - i did say i was going to do this during signups. i said i would be super casual probably a cross between stink and burnt and this is a fair approximation of their style of casual. not an impersonation but im not trying to impersonate.

ive never been one to intentionally obfuscate others reads based on my playstyle. there are players whove done that (fura comes to mind but i know there are others) but playing in a way to make it hard to read me no matter my alignment to make it easier to hide when im evil just isnt a thing i care to do. its actually usually more fun for evil me if i play as genuine as i can when good because then evil me has to replicate that and thats fun.

this is purely for me to have fun. the last bunch of games i played were rarely if ever fun for me - its a large part of why i swore off playing (one part was because i was dying early before there was ever a chance for me to see if i could still have fun and the other part was because i wasn't having fun and hadn't had fun playing in years). i took the games way too seriously. and i knew that i did. but i kept trying to find a way to play that would be fun - id create a fun character to rp and then id stop rping a couple turns into the game and would drop back into full analysis.

i think the reason for that was because my writing was always the same - long paragraphs, proper writing - so my mindset was the same.

but this is working. im actually having fun with every post (excluding this one) because its so different from my normal but its also so easy to stick to and the broken up paragraphs mean that it doesnt look the same so its easier to separate the mindsets. this is important.

so no - im not trying to confuse everyone. im trying to find a way for me to play that means that i can continue playing these games. if i cant have fun whats the point of playing? i am sorry if its confusing. thats not my intention. but im not gonna change it.

(please note that the whole lowercase, no apostrophe stuff is just a this-game thing. if this playstyle works, i'll go back to capitalizing words that should be capitalized and using apostrophes and stuff. but for this game, imma stick with this)

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this... gambling tycoons could fall under any alignment, right?

Dowser and the 5th Octant Constable are the main thing preventing Bleeder from randomly killing people, and having them be gambling tycoons would make it less likely for Bleeder to kill them accidentally. It is true that lynching a gambling tycoon doesn't give us a lot of information since they can be any alignment, though I would be hesitate to kill anyone who survives a lynch unless Bleeder was dead since it could easily be Flogs instead of a gambling tycoon.

16 minutes ago, little wilson said:

so no - im not trying to confuse everyone. im trying to find a way for me to play that means that i can continue playing these games. if i cant have fun whats the point of playing? i am sorry if its confusing. thats not my intention. but im not gonna change it.

Hey, this is a cool way to play, I will be extremely glad if this works and you find it fun enough to keep on trying. I wasn't trying to over analyze the way you were playing. :P:D

Hey, everyone!

Unfortunately, I've got an essay due tomorrow, so I'm going to be a little busy for this cycle. Once that's done, I should be able to jump into the thick of it.

I look forward to playing with you all!

Too many posts happening and I'm trying to catch up and wrap my head around this game. I love it! Keep them coming!

Keep in mind I just woke up and started reading the thread so bear with me if I sound confused to some of this stuff because it probably is stupidly easy to understand but I'm probably just being groggy lol.

I will note that Flogs is an alignment scanner, not a role scanner. Renowned are the role scanners. However, he just scans constable/non-constable, so he can't even 100% trust any of the people he scans. But yes, I would recommend that Flogs be very careful. I will also note that Flogs is immune to the lynch, and I would certainly call that a "survival ability".

to quote @Straw Why would they not be able to trust the people they scan if it says not Constable? omg yeah as I typed that out my tired brain realized it's probably cuz of bleeder right? Okay hopefully that's it cuz I'm tired and feel like I'm just making myself look stupid but I'm not gonna erase it cuz I wanna post something before the thread is like 5 pages long haha.

also by Straw:

Typically, it's between 20% and 25% of the total players. 20% would be 6 players, 25% would be 7.5. I doubt Joe would trend towards 20%, so I'd say probably 7 or 8 elims?

dango I didn't even think about how big the elim team would be with this many people! :lol: omg that just seems hilarious to me, I have no idea why lol

but also also,

Just would like to say that I think we need to be very careful about when or if we disperse. I would not put it past Joe to put in something like 9 elims this game, just to throw us off since we're all probably assuming that there's 7-8 elims based on percentage alone. At that point, I would assume that the elims wouldn't have very many powerful roles. That would be more than made up by the extra elim though. I'm not sure how much I believe this theory, but I know I definitely would've considered that distribution if I were running this. Just to make it more likely that the constables would have a chance to win by getting the village to disperse when they believe they've found the last elim.

quoting @StrikerEZ THIS is a very good point. I would totally see Joe making there be like one more elim than we would expect because the whole thing about needing to disperse after the elims are dead. Definitely a good thing to keep in mind. If we killed what we thought was the right amount of elims and then if an elim or 2 were left they would just need to stop killing people to make it look like we were done right? 

I need to go back and read roles and rules etc but wanted to at least say something after scanning the thread real quick and I found the thing about elim numbers really interesting since we have the whole dispersal thing this game. Okay be back later when I feel like I'm having a less dumb period. (literally Taravangian) probably spelled that wrong lol

23 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

quoting @StrikerEZ THIS is a very good point. I would totally see Joe making there be like one more elim than we would expect because the whole thing about needing to disperse after the elims are dead. Definitely a good thing to keep in mind. If we killed what we thought was the right amount of elims and then if an elim or 2 were left they would just need to stop killing people to make it look like we were done right? 

Or the game could have fewer Elims than normal, to make us all paranoid about finding the last one. There's no way to know right now. Either way, the end of this game is probably going to get dragged out for quite a bit while we make sure that there's no one left.

2 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Or the game could have fewer Elims than normal, to make us all paranoid about finding the last one. There's no way to know right now. Either way, the end of this game is probably going to get dragged out for quite a bit while we make sure that there's no one left.

Do you realize that we win when all the Constables and Bleeder are dead? I'll guess you're assuming we haven't found Bleeder in that scenario?

20 minutes ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

A longer post to follow once I've had a chance to read and digest the rules and thread properly, but for now, very happy to add some pressure to Straw.

I will be quite interested to see your reasoning for that.

Welp. Finally awake. Time to answer questions while i make spaghetti.

4 hours ago, Elkanah said:

With gambling Tycoons in the mix, we are probably playing with more like 34-ish players. We get almost as much information out of lynching them as we would by killing someone, and we retain their votes. It will be very interesting to see what roles the elims got. What would be really funny is if both Dowser and 5th Constable both were gambling tycoons, though I'm not sure Joe is quite that sadistic.

Dowser is guanateed to be a Dowser/Smuggler. They already have two roles, so can't be anything else.

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Secondly, just want to ask @A Joe in the Bush something about the PMs. The one message we can send per turn, does that just mean we can only open one PM per turn, or we can literally only send one message?

One message per turn. Or 4 if you are a Gossip, or 7 if you are a Gossip/Gossip.

3 hours ago, Matrim's_Dice said:

Additionally, does replying to a PM someone else sends us count as our PM for the cycle?

It does.

3 minutes ago, Straw said:

I will be quite interested to see your reasoning for that.

Gut, partly, but mostly because a three vote lunch is much harder to shift than a two vote lynch, and I'm curious to see what happens to this one.

2 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

WHYYYYYYYYY-

*sigh*

Every game I've been in people have either tried to lynch me D1 or killed me N1. Including my first game. And two versions of the same game. And I've noticed people who posted less tended to get lynched less. So I'm giving you fair warning.

Pyro, for what it's worth, I've never played a game with you where you were targeted C1. C3, sure, but not C1. I think you may be incorrectly remembering past games. Also, Striker has the same problem where people always want to lynch him C1, but he continued to be active and showed himself to be a valuable villager, making people reluctant to vote on him early. I'm tempted to vote on you for this, but you've said this every game I've played with you as well, and I don't think you've been evil yet.

Hmm, I next quoted Xino, but I don't remember why, so I'll get rid of that for now...

til -  its caszh. whod a thunk?

so the correct description of how imma playing this game is super caszh. yepp. :)))

according to burnt you hit enter after almost every sentence and according to stink you never hit backspace. these are good tips. i like.

Ooh, I'll have to write these down for future Anon games...

1 hour ago, Karnage said:

This wouldn't be about my asking so many questions in LG65 would it?

Also. Yo Fura hows it going? Any thoughts? I'll change it if you respond this hour.:P

Anyway this seems like an interesting way to play and I am so excited to play with such a wide variety of players.

@Furamirionind

Edit: It looks like I got ninja'd by Wilson

Hi Karnage, nice to see you again xD
I actually didn't think the game started until tonight, so I'm not completely prepared. Lol. I also haven't read the rules in a long time... So I'll go reread them and get back to you. : P

ive never been one to intentionally obfuscate others reads based on my playstyle. there are players whove done that (fura comes to mind but i know there are others) but playing in a way to make it hard to read me no matter my alignment to make it easier to hide when im evil just isnt a thing i care to do. its actually usually more fun for evil me if i play as genuine as i can when good because then evil me has to replicate that and thats fun.

Wait wait wait, I don't intentionally try to make it hard to read me... I just do what I think is fun on the given day. screw the consequences. xD

You know what, Karnage 
: P

22 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

and I don't think you've been evil yet.

That is true. Worst I was was neutral.

22 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

I've never played a game with you where you were targeted C1.

The game I was survival, twice (it restarted)

The faction game I played. 

The QF with AG rules.

The other shard game.

Etc.

6 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

That is true. Worst I was was neutral.

The game I was survival, twice (it restarted)

The faction game I played. 

The QF with AG rules.

The other shard game.

Etc.

Ok, but those were all a long time in the past. I wasn't even in SE in any of those games. The shard game I played with you you were lynched C2/3, but you were trying to get lynched, so you can hardly count that. You then survived for quite a while past that. My point is that making game decisions out of fear for what happened a long time ago I don't think will be fun for either you or those you are playing with.

You also didn't address the part where I used Striker as an example. When he came back from his Hiatus he was lynched D1 something like 4 times in a row, and after that I don't think survived past C2 for even longer. But instead of becoming less active, he became more active, and stopped getting lynched that early quite so often. You are getting less active, but according to you this isn't stopping you from getting lynched early soooooo... Maybe a different tactic? : P

Edited by Furamirionind

28 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

You also didn't address the part where I used Striker as an example. When he came back from his Hiatus he was lynched D1 something like 4 times in a row, and after that I don't think survived past C2 for even longer. But instead of becoming less active, he became more active, and stopped getting lynched that early quite so often.

Honestly, it’s worth a celebration when I don’t die in the first couple cycles of the game. Not that I mind dying early. I did at first, but I’ve kinda taken it as a badge of honor almost. It’s my thing. 

But @The Young Pyromancer, trying to change how you play to stop people from lynching you isn’t going to help. What’s going to help is just playing as you want and being as honest as you can be. Eventually people will be able to read you better. But constantly shifting your play style around to avoid suspicion isn’t really going to help much.