Mid-Range Game 42: The Auction of Lord Winsting

Writeup is written, all my PM's are queued, the Topic is prepared. I like having Rollover in the middle of the night. I don't have to worry about half the players making last minute changes.
Also, to those of you who are awake at this shardforsaken hour, be aware that I have to wait 30 seconds in between sending each PM, or Chaos yells at me. If you're looking for a result PM, please wait until 15 minutes after rollover, and then post.

Three AM:

E. S. Variel is the best bartender in Elendel. He knows it. Wayne knows it. You know it. He didn’t look it, though. He didn’t have the welcoming face of a man who could get you to open up about your troubles, and he didn’t have the round shape of a man who could be trusted with all your secrets, but he was the most sought after bartender in all Elendel anyway. What he did have, was a discerning Eye.

When you walked into the room, he would look you up and he would look you down, then he would turn around and start pulling bottles off the shelves and piling them into his apron. By the time you had found an empty stool and sat down, he would be sliding you a glass of something fantastic. A pick me up on long days, a relaxant on stressful days, something to loosen your inhibitions when you were nervous, or something to give you more courage when you were afraid.

Lord Winsting Innate kept him on the staff because of his skill at mixing drinks. Two very specific drinks. Variel could mix you a concoction that would keep you on your feet when a Pewterarm was putting the hurt on you. He could fill you with vigor and stamina and keep you fighting when your blood was flowing from your nose and you had one eye swollen shut. He could keep you alive long enough to get a bullet pulled out of you. And afterwards, he could do the stitching too.

He could also make a damnation fine poison. It was this drink that he’s making right now. You don’t know it yet, because you’ve never seen him mix these specific ingredients together, but that makes sense. He’s made you a new drink every time you’ve asked him for one. He smiles at you as he slides the glass of amber across the bar to you. You take it, and raise it in a toast to him.

Before you drink, another patron leaps over the bar and tackles him. He yells as you fall backwards away from him. All your effort and energy is on that drink though. It falls with you, and you twist your whole body, keeping your wrist nice and even with the ground. You hear yells and shouts from behind you, and you spare the briefest of glances, just to make sure no one is going to bump into you. Finally, you hit the floor and the drink sloshes in it’s glass. You toss it back before you even take the time to stand up. You won’t risk losing this precious liquid gold.

Your vision goes clear, and your mind goes soft. You’re certainly going to be okay with whatever Variel gave you. You rise, feeling electricity shoot through your veins , and survey the madhouse of the room. Whoever attacked Variel did a damnation good job. He’s slumped against his bottles, one of them broken in half and forced through his throat. Blood flows into it and out its spout. You don’t spot his killer, but you don’t have time to look. 

Lord Karn is thrown into you by someone, and you have to tuck and roll to avoid him. He glances at you, then grabs the stool you were sitting on and uses it to slap aside a dueling cane. You examine his attacker, memorizing his face for the inevitable arguments that will break out about who is and isn’t a Constable. Tiresome, but it has to be done.

You are shoved roughly aside as Lord Locke Tekiel rushes to defend Karn. He fights well for such a dignified gentleman, but is jumped on from behind. You leave the four men behind as their scuffle escalates into a full on brawl. Other bystanders wade in with dueling canes, fists, bottles and stools. You notice Muriel Ladrian pull a baton out of their sleeve and advance on Tekiel. You ponder whether or not you should intercede, but your veins are pumping even faster now. You should probably go see if that’s supposed to happen or not. 

Who was it that gave you your drink? Wasn’t it that handsome bartender? Where had they gone? Were they in that fight behind the bar? Should you really be going towards the bar? That was where the fighting was! Remember, Variel got killed over there, and you really don’t want to follow suit. Oh! Variel! That’s who gave you the drink! It was delicious, don’t you want some more? Your vision focuses, blotting out the other combatants as you carefully move on jerky legs towards the destination. Variel will be there, and he can give you another drink. Is that where you want to go?

Who is Variel again? Maybe the nice man with the bottle in his neck can tell you. You ask him, but he doesn’t answer. Isn’t that rude of him? Is it? You never learned the etiquette of interacting with dead people. What should you do? Who are you? What the rust was in that drink? The light is too bright and everyone in the room is flowing into each other arms and chests connecting in one great fist that is pounding against your skull trying to release the power that flows through you as you desperately search for more drink to wash away the terrible blood coming up your throat staining your clothes and painting the rising floor red as it lashes out at you and sends you to the Mists.

Welcome @Megasif and those of you left to Hour 3! Our dear Hammond has not been responsive, so he has been replaced, his alignment and role given to Megasif. Please treat him as if he has been in the game this entire time. 

Straw was lynched! They were a Renowned Constable!
Karnage was attacked, but survived!
Orlok was killed! They were a Renowned/Gossip Criminal!
StrikerEZ was killed! They were a Bartender/Bodyguard Criminal!
Furamirionind was killed! They were a Gossip Constable!

Awake players: 21
Votes required to Disperse the Party: 13

Vote Count:
Fura (2): DeTess, Elkanah
Karnage (1): Straw
Orlok (1): Pyro
Pyro (1): Coda, Fura
Straw (16): Archivist, Arraenae, Brightness, Bugsy, Devotary, Emi, Experience, God King, Karnage, Kynedath, Matrim, Mist, Orlok, Reading, Sart, Striker, Wilson, Xino

Dispersal Votes (0/16): 

Player List:

ThatTinyStrawMan ( Straw ) Renowned Constable
Lord Silberfarben ( Lord_Silberfarben )
Xinoehp ( xinoehp512 )
To Be Determined ( Elkanah )
Shard ( Experience )
Qwerty Meep ( Shard of Reading )
Coda ( Coda )
Lord Reginald ( Kynedath )
Matrim ( Matrim's_Dice )
Lady Zephyr ( Zillah )
Archivald ( The_Archivist )
Lord Karn ( Karnage )
Variel ( StrikerEZ ) Bartender/Bodyguard Criminal
Lady Lumen ( Mist )
Emi ( Emi )
TBD ( BrightnessRadiant )
LenSaar ( Devotary of Spontaneity )
Lord Malikihal ( The_God_King )
The Young Pyromancer ( The Young Pyromancer )
Locke Tekiel ( Orlok Tsubodai ) Renowned/Gossip Criminal
Lady Arielle ( Arraenae )
Julius ( Dot )
Hammond ( Megasif )
Lord Gavin Verduex ( Hemalurgic Headshot )
mad watcher ( little wilson )
Lady Telina Maladroi ( DeTess )
Lord Laborn ( Bugsy )
Muriel Ladrian ( Furamirionind ) Gossip Constable
Lord Hadrian Penrod ( Araris Valerian ) Criminal Gossip
a smart guy ( Sart )

Edited by A Joe in the Bush

Hi guys

Just making a quick check in post. Not up date but skimmed a little. Will go through it later. To do list: go through the previous cycles with fura and straw's alignments in mind.

Village lean on Matrim for the push on straw early C1 - mostly for the response straw had to the push, which is unlikely for partners to do.

Also there will be a fair few bussers on Straw, so won't be clearing voters there.

Need to check what is meant by 'disperse the party'

Edited by Megasif

... I think I forgot to retract my vote on Fura? Either that or my vote got moved. Also, 3 votes got moved off of Straw, which is a worryingly large amount.

Now regarding the dead, Striker was good, Fura was bad, straw was bad, and Karnage got attacked and survived. The kill on Orlok was almost certainly the elims, which makes the attack on Karnage almost certainly bleeder. @A Joe in the Bush, can bleeder attack herself?

Fura's death and reveal as an elim also means that Elkanah is less likely to be an elim, given that they where accused of also targeting Araris C1, and I don't see why the elims would target their kill victim with anything else.

Given the amount of extra kills, there were at least two village bartenders, though one of those might have been Striker. Still, that means we've got one left. For this reason, I'd like to say I'm against lynching Pyro this cycle, despite them being a revealed elim. We know there are village bartenders that could take care of that, and going for a lynch on another revealed elim again could end up with us short on info afterwards. So, having said that I'm going to put a vote on the archivist for now. Among those living and not pyro, I'm most suspicious of Archivist and Sart right now.

I'll try to get some more analysis done today, but its more likely that'll be something I get to tomorrow. Today's not exactly been a good one for me so far, which has really hurt my motivation to do anything.

Edited by DeTess

5 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Yes she can.

Okay, so we can't quite rule out bleeder!karnage yet.

edit: honestly though, this'll resolve itself eventually. Either bleeder succeeds in killing karnage, or she seems to 'give up' after a bit and starts killing others, and the moment she hits the actual flogs, we'll know that Karnage was playing games.

Edited by DeTess

OK... taking two for two is actually pretty good, considering there are less elim than village.

1 hour ago, DeTess said:

honestly though, this'll resolve itself eventually. Either bleeder succeeds in killing karnage, or she seems to 'give up' after a bit and starts killing others, and the moment she hits the actual flogs, we'll know that Karnage was playing games.

Or karnage is Flogs and bleeder does not succeed. does not seem likely.

4 hours ago, DeTess said:

Given the amount of extra kills, there were at least two village bartenders, though one of those might have been Striker. Still, that means we've got one left. For this reason, I'd like to say I'm against lynching Pyro this cycle, despite them being a revealed elim. We know there are village bartenders that could take care of that, and going for a lynch on another revealed elim again could end up with us short on info afterwards. So, having said that I'm going to put a vote on the archivist for now. Among those living and not pyro, I'm most suspicious of Archivist and Sart right now.

Why would you be opposed to lynching Pyro this cycle? Bartenders can't kill until next cycle. 

5 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

StrikerEZ was killed! They were a Bartender/Bodyguard Criminal!

Honestly this surprises me. I'll say now that my suspicions on Emi are dwindling to nothing.

Furamirionind was killed! They were a Gossip Constable!

I think we all expected this? Sort of? It's kind of strange no one attacked Pyro, though, even with Orlok's warning. I see no reason not to lynch Pyro this cycle. That comment from DeTess is kind of weird, Pyro himself revealed himself to be a Stalker and thus more time in the game means more time he can give info to the other elims. 

Karnage was attacked, but survived!

I'm going to assume this is either from Striker protecting him, or another bodyguard, or his Gambling Tycoon ability. While it is possible that he is Bleeder I highly doubt it. The level of acting and convincing that would require is insane, and Karnage is a relatively new player. I know I could never pull off something like that right now. I assume Bleeder attacked Karnage, and that Flogs won't be in the game much longer.

5 hours ago, Megasif said:

Village lean on Matrim for the push on straw early C1 - mostly for the response straw had to the push, which is unlikely for partners to do.

As you will see when you read it, this push was 100% an accident/my fault of reading something wrong when I knew 0 alignments. (Of course, you said village lean, but for Straw's response.)

I would also like to say I guessed (privately) Straw's Renowned role in C1. I didn't say anything but I thought 'Oh Straw might be a renowned because Straw corrected someone saying Flogs was a role scanner, by saying 'no renowneds are the role scanners'. So maybe he is a renowned and that's why he reacted so quickly to that statement'. Meaningless now but I take it as a personal victory. :D 

Edited by Matrim's_Dice

Ouch. Losing Striker and Orlock is a pretty big blow for us. A bodyguard bartender combo is strong, and Orlock found elims quickly.

Welcome Megasif! Oh! I mean, there you are Megasif. Clearly you were here all along. I look forward to your thoughts :)

Okay, I'm taking a HUGE risk.

I am bleeder and Pyro is a constable. :P

Nope. Couldn't do it with a straight face. I tried though. For the lack of doubt, I am not bleeder.

I will be going back over our 500 posts to get an idea on the rest of you, so look forward to a bigger post tonight.

Was-up, hows it going. I survived but I do not think anybody protected me as in bodyguard terms. I used my scanner ability on Fura but then it was moved to Orlock by some unknown means but they bother ended up dying so my scan ability was useless last cycle. Pyro I am kinda surprised that you didn't die instead of Orlock, maybe some kinda manipulation there on the elims part, I dunno. 

me read that as pure nai elkkk.

well actually not pure nai. me see a scenario where elk!bleeder is like "hmmmm they have information me targeted araris c1 and me dont want them thinking thats right so maybe if me pull a jokey karnage they think pyro was lying and me can be okkk"

me actually agree with tess bout the pyro - mostly cuz me is hoping leaving pyro alive for a little longer might give info. of course me saying this turns everything he says into an iyky but iiiiiii doooooonnntt caaaarrreee.

he not aman. he being outed elim left alive dont scare me.

not sure where to vote yet. maybe archivist? maybe br following the dead orlok's hunch? my phone wants to capitalize orlok's name. me must reteach it that the lowercase way is the correct way. the only way.

it is the way.

edit: actually........ elk

11 minutes ago, little wilson said:

me read that as pure nai elkkk.

well actually not pure nai. me see a scenario where elk!bleeder is like "hmmmm they have information me targeted araris c1 and me dont want them thinking thats right so maybe if me pull a jokey karnage they think pyro was lying and me can be okkk"

me actually agree with tess bout the pyro - mostly cuz me is hoping leaving pyro alive for a little longer might give info. of course me saying this turns everything he says into an iyky but iiiiiii doooooonnntt caaaarrreee.

he not aman. he being outed elim left alive dont scare me.

not sure where to vote yet. maybe archivist? maybe br following the dead orlok's hunch? my phone wants to capitalize orlok's name. me must reteach it that the lowercase way is the correct way. the only way.

it is the way.

edit: actually........ elk

This is the way :P

It was kind of supposed to be nai, but my longer post tonight shouldn't be.

I remember that game with Aman. I am sadly no better at SE now than I was then... With the exception i would kill outed Aman on sight. That being the case, pyro

47 minutes ago, Karnage said:

Pyro I am kinda surprised that you didn't die instead of Orlock, maybe some kinda manipulation there on the elims part, I dunno. 

The way I saw it was Orlok was the elim kill and Striker was a kill from an elim bartender, with Fura being the village bartender kill. Possibly Fura was targeted by both village bartenders (assuming there is more then one) both thinking the other would attack Pyro, if there was another one. Does that make any sense? :huh:

It's strange that there was so much vote manipulation with such a decisive lynch. Two votes removed from Straw, one vote removed from Pyro, and DeTess's vote moved from Straw to Fura, which suggests two smugglers and an impersonator, mostly on the elims' side. We also appear to have an elim extortionist who targeted Karnage. 

@Elkanah, I think you did suggest that you targeted Araris C1. Is there anything you'd like to say about that to anyone?

Did I? I know Young Pyromancer claimed I did to Wilson, and it looks like that was a way to take some heat off of Fura who did the killing. @A Joe in the Bush, would double taps show up in the write up? If so, that's all the evidence you need that I didn't kill Araris. If not, then I can share one of my roles.

2 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

it looks like that was a way to take some heat off of Fura who did the killing.

Fura was a Gossip, though. Do you mean the elim kill....?

20 minutes ago, Matrim's_Dice said:

The way I saw it was Orlok was the elim kill and Striker was a kill from an elim bartender, with Fura being the village bartender kill. Possibly Fura was targeted by both village bartenders (assuming there is more then one) both thinking the other would attack Pyro, if there was another one. Does that make any sense? :huh:

unlikely the elims have a bartender and if they did i dont think theyd attack striker - its easy to think that now when we see that he had two good roles but multiple people were sus of him so id think that kill would be more likely from a village bartender.

and elk its always good to kill elim aman no matter what. thats just good practice - esp since he's done it not once but twiiiiiccce. why people leave him alive when hes known elim i dont getttt it.

but as i said pyro not aman. i not worried so much about him if we leave him alive for a turn or two until the bartender(s) can clear him out. esp when he's a (self-claimed but im inclined to believe most of the self-defeatist things pyro said last cycle after claiming elim) stalker.

anywayz i know why elks voting pyro - hes probs bleeder and he wants to make the pyro lynch as inevitable as the straw lynch last cycle. but why you other people going after the elim when we gots a bleeder out there?

shouldnt we be kinda thinking about that? yes the elims are a threat and we gotta clear them out but given that karnage has claimed flogs (which im not actually skeptical of that claim - i was inclined to believe it from the second he said it while maintaining enough doubt to kill him if things didnt add up with his claim in a couple cycles but i was like 95% believing of that claim) and we kiiiiinnnda dont want flogs to die.

8 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Did I? I know Young Pyromancer claimed I did to Wilson, and it looks like that was a way to take some heat off of Fura who did the killing. @A Joe in the Bush, would double taps show up in the write up? If so, that's all the evidence you need that I didn't kill Araris. If not, then I can share one of my roles.

guessin you missed this little answer from joe about double taps.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:26 AM, A Joe in the Bush said:

Nope! Good question though. You get a cookie.

pyro seemed pretty honest when he mentioned it in the thread. self-defeatist and straightforward about it. dont like you being evasive.