Greetings from a Long-time Bookworm

Purple

Well hello,

I had the privilege and joy to truly find Brandon after WoT was suggested to me, and I stumbled upon Stormlight soon after. The series quickly blew to the top of my favorite books as I devoured it. Unbeknownst to me, I had actually read him before with the Reckoners, which was a pleasant surprise, but the series wasn't my bread and butter like epic fantasy, and I didn't expect this new-to-me author to have such ridiculous genre range (like seriously, the man is a legend of writers purely by content). At that time, I was burnt out of my public library in a small town (the only one interested in fantasy and reading that much of it), and with no one else to talk to about these amazing books or recommend me new books. Through great chance, WoT was suggested, and soon after I began to seek out books and new authors in the fantasy and science fiction genre, and I am so happy I was able to find Sanderson, and now, an awesome community of fellow fans and fantasy nerds to talk about them with. Thank you all for that.

Little more about me: Around the same time I found Sanderson (aka when stopped lying to myself that I was a jock and threw myself back into being a theatre nerd and bookworm ~5 years ago), I finally figured out my own passion was storytelling. Brandon definitely helped provide some encouragement around that time alongside an amazing English teacher, and I have never looked back. I am currently pursuing my passion as a student of creative writing in college, supplementing my classes with Brandon's amazing lectures that he has posted on YouTube, and devouring more writing and books as I go. I have read the first (two or three, I don't recall, high school was a mess) of Mistborn, but really need to reread them as well.

Currently rereading through WoT at The Shadow Rising, (#4), as I managed to find a full hardcover set (including New Spring), but depending on this quarantine and if I can kick myself back into my rhythm of reading like a word addict, I will reread Stomlight in anticipation for Rhythm of War this fall.

Super excited for WoK Leatherbound, even though my bank account isn't. Tier 4 hopeful, but it will be a wonderful addition to my growing collection nonetheless.

Favorite Sanderson book (so far, I have yet to read Elantris or Warbreaker. Yet.): Oathbringer, easily. Man, those last few hundred pages. Chills. If I can do even a part of that in any of my writing, I would be fulfilled. 

Favorite character, why must you make me choose. I don't remember details from Mistborn enough to do justice to those characters, so alas, just from Stormlight. Token comment, "Hoid is a beautiful sassy boy". Skipping over the main characters, even though I like all of them, Adolin holds an interesting place in my heart, capable and confident in so many ways yet not without fault or doubts. A poster child, who did well in near everything except for some things he cared about the most. (Honorable out-of-fandom mention, Matrim Cauthon, how I do love this man of contradictions and complexity).

Well, that's enough out of me, I shall begin my long campaign of lurking amidst the fandom, posting little and listening much, and I shall see you all around.

And appear when you never expect it. Hehe.

Cheers,

Purple

Oh, as a character, the Nightwatcher was such an interesting piece of the story, and I love powerful beings who can grant wishes. They can be so very fun to read about and to use in stories. Gaunter O'Dimm comes to my mind. 

But if I would ask for a wish. Hmm. Wishes are an interesting thing, and I have always maintained that if I wished for something it would be a really dire moment even without the guaranteed curse of the Nightwatcher. Too many stories of wishes going wrong for the wishee. But if I would wish for something. . . I don't know if I could. I would always be to worried about ruining something else. If by wishing for one thing to end now, I rob myself of something even better later, I would choose not to wish at all. My momentary happiness would never be worth the pain of others. But if my wish could help others and only cause pain to myself. . .

Maybe.

Maybe a little deeper answer than you wanted lol, but I am one for such conversations, especially about things that I love discussing.

Edited by Purple
wrong word

28 minutes ago, Emi said:

We need to find some uncommon ones... :P

What do you think about Nightwacher? Would you go to her to wish for something?

Good ldea.  Hmm, what color of eyes would you like to have, should you find yourself on Roshar?

*notices user name*  Umm, nevermind :P

Do you have a preferred Radiant Order?

47 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Good ldea.  Hmm, what color of eyes would you like to have, should you find yourself on Roshar?

*notices user name*  Umm, nevermind :P

Do you have a preferred Radiant Order?

Hehe, I mean, purple eyes would be pretty cool. 

I am not as informed in the various Orders as I would like to be, I have simply read the books (twice each now), and picked up what I can from there, but I am currently reading up on them as I evidently need to find one to prioritize for the Kickstarter :P I shall have to get back to you with that one.

Edit: I would say Dustbringer if I am correct in my skimming of the different Surges. The idea of zipping around the battlefield with waves of destruction coming from my hands sounds rather fresh, even though being a Windrunner or Skybreaker and flying would be mildly intoxicating. But no, the idea of skating around people to annoy them sounds rather fun, and then being able to run up a wall to get away also sounds rather fun, so why not mix that with fire hands. 

Edit 2: Based more so on the ideals or attributes of the Orders however, I feel like I would land more with the wise/careful Elsecallers, or protective/leading Windrunners. And when I get a little too full of myself, maybe the Skybreakers, just/confident. (a little overconfident perhaps, and a little full of my own opinion of what justice is, but definitely a possibility).

Edited by Purple
Update to Question

1 minute ago, R J said:

Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your least favourite character so far?

Why, thank you!

Ooooohoho. Sir, good question. 

I would say Moash Sadeas, easily. If I was in Adolin's position I would not hesitate to do exactly what he did, whatever the implications. It is hard to say that someone deserves to die, but in that position, the best outcome for everyone is stabbing the bastard through the eye and giving the dagger a twist as a goodbye.

I have few that I can name, but that applies to my pet peeves in life in general. I am a person who takes what I get more often than wishing something could be better or get annoyed by stuff. However, I would say a few things I could think of:

1. Using a dialogue tag repeatedly. "He chuckled." for example.

2. Poor pacing. It kills me. I hate it, because it can ruin decent ideas and good writing and make it feel cheap and unfulfilling. If there was something about writing that would make me wake up in a cold sweat, pacing problems would be it.

And no, Sanderson has blown me away, and I would need to read him a bit more to find anything I dislike. :D Still have some rosy-colored glasses on, so I can't say I dislike anything of his writing yet.

22 hours ago, R J said:

Who are your other favourite authors?

Tolkien was my first big read growing up, and i have loved him ever since. Christopher Paolini was another I enjoyed, but as I grew older I didn't like him quite as much. I have read a ridiculous amount of YA fiction, and really enjoyed people like John Flanagan and Rick Riordan growing up. As an adult however, I am just starting to truly find people I would consider my "favorite" authors, rather than people I have read and just enjoyed.