Sorana

On 5/16/2020 at 3:41 PM, ZincAboutIt said:

"Perhaps I'm just behind the times, but surely you're not spending the Festival sitting alone in front of a hat shop, are you? It's a terrible night to be without company."

@Fatebreaker

Resh jerked a thumb over his shoulder to the store, "Oh no, I just got left on food storage while my friends went inside. I exacting a heavy price though." and he popped another bao into his mouth. Belatedly, he realized this wasn't a great idea when you were having a conversation with someone. he tried to swallow it half chewed, choked, and was bent over with coughing. He swallowed hard and managed to get it all down, then straightened, his face flush with embarrassment. "Sorry, I seem to be doing that a lot tonight. I guess I have an eating problem, rather than a drinking problem." He smiled wanly and wished deeply for a sinkhole to open below him. "Any way, um, how has, ahem, what did, uh..." 

He covered his face with a hand and let out a sigh, "I swear this isn't how my social interactions normally go. Allow me to try for a third time. Hi Lita, I'm Resh, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. No, I'm not alone, my friends are perusing hats at the moment." He smiled in what he hoped was a friendly manner and not a desperate or awkward one. How had he managed to be so awkward? He wasn't sure he could've done worse if he tried. "It seems that in trying to put some bao in my mouth I've managed to put my foot there instead. I apologize for my manners, or lack thereof." He realized he should change the topic before he started spiraling. "So, how's your evening been? Any plans for the festival?" He dearly hoped he could get through the rest of the conversation without choking. Again.

=============================================================================

Silent as a shadow, a figure watched in the darkness. It studied the woman in gold, and as it did a shook it's head slightly, the motion somehow rueful. 

All that work, and yet things slip though the cracks. You underestimate the impact a single gesture can have, oh foolish god. You went too fast, rushed a work that should have taken centuries. What else did you miss, oh Smith of  Lies? Do you even know that he's here? Do you know what you've done? But of course you don't. For all your grand vision, you lack perspective. And that will be your undoing.

The shadow looked at the young man, illuminated by the festival lights. He was so young, so earnest, so naive.

Again.

@ZincAboutIt  

Edited by Fatebreaker

Lita had to utilize the majority of her espionage training to avoid breaking out into furious giggles, instead waiting for Resh to finish his third introduction with a quiet smile on her face. 

If only every man were so genuine, she thought with both amusement and longing, memory straying to Kaldemar and the covered patio barroom. I'd know every last thing in this entire city within a fortnight. 

"No apologies needed," Lita said, grinning. "I'm hardly some noble lady, after all. Just someone who's tailor owed her a few favors."

She tapped one slender finger against her upper lip for one moment before continuing. "As for my night, it has been... unpredictable, shall we say. And yet, the night is still new! All these people, all the lights and music - there is just so much to see and to do. Planning for the Festival is all well and good, but everyone knows that all good plans fall to bits after a few drinks and a turn around the bonfire. Better to expect nothing, and let the night unfold as it may. I find that the city is far more willing to divulge its secrets when you least expect it."

Some of that was true, at least, though even as she spoke Lita had dozens of DoCI personnel combing the city, waiting, watching. Knowledge was power. But in her experience, going with her instincts had always been the wisest course of action. Following that boundless, insatiable curiosity had led her to her current position, after all. The sensing, the capturing of a secret that no one else could find - that was a pleasure that only a Tineye could truly appreciate. 

"I like to wander on nights like tonight," Lita said. "You meet so many interesting people." She gestured towards Resh. "I'd invite you to accompany me in my wandering, but it would be terribly unladylike of me to suggest you leave your friends."

"However, we've already established that I'm no lady," she said, one corner of her mouth hooking upward into something lovely, but sharp. "So, the offer stands."

@Fatebreaker 

Kerr was humming annoyedly, why did these human ignore him? He realized Aln might have not seen his words, but the others where simply ignoring him.

Aln don't seem to have seen me, and the others are ignoring me.

They probably just didn't hear you, just try to get closer to Aln's eyes level and try again.

There don't seems to be somewhere to climb on.

Then climb on Aln I guess.

I'm not writing this to the end since I assume one of you is going to notice the cryptic trying to climb on Aln, although Keer is focused on Aln so he won't hear anyone but her

Also does anyone knows an equivalent of annoyedly that's an actual word?

@Rushu42 @Ashbringer @Sorana

Aln doesn't fight at all, so she's going to retreat if one breaks out. This makes me little biased towards not wanting a fight, but obviously my preference should not be taken as universal. I'm always happy to just read what you guys end up writing. 

Aln followed Althea's gaze to the guards. They did indeed appear to be running in the direction that the van had departed. She considered the issue for a moment. It has never been explained how Althea and her friend had known what was in the vehicle, but their suspicions about its dangerous nature seemed to be gaining credibility. 

"Very well," she said as Ben took Althea's hand. "I am willing to investigate." 

Edit: I didn't see mathiau's post while writing this, sorry. For now I'll just say that she didn't notice anything, but she probably will soon.

@Sorana @mathiau @Ashbringer

Edited by Rushu42
I forgot to refresh my page

14 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Everyone says that,” he said to the man instead of committing to an attack. Too many variables to do anything flawlessly. Too many people, too many parts of the environment he wasn’t familiar with, and too little he knew about the man. A little more information on his opponent wouldn’t hurt before jumping into things. “Everyone says ‘all will be well’, as long we worship their deity. The Almighty, The Lonely God, your... Isarok. But it’s all just empty words and no truth.”

Eishtar let out an involuntary snarl, gritting his teeth afterwards as if to conceal his rage.

"Empty words?" He spat, downing another vial of bendalloy and consiously flaring his metal as the crowd was almost a standstill around them. It was just Eishtar, Reval and Vivi now, isolated in the festival.
Watch the boy, there is no doubt that he carries a weapon he seems skilled enough. You must distance yourself when violence comes, jump through bubbles of time until you have your distance. A kindly woman's voice rang through Eishtar's mind, advising him, telling him what to do. He smiled.

Then rain down cleansing fire.
The godess was on his side.

"You, Heretic, Have you even considered your blasphemy? You force my hand with your empty words."

Eishtar turned to the girl, snapping abruptly to the tones and mannerisms of a kindly old man.

"We are all Isarok's children, children of the light, dear." He replies reassuringly before resuming his abrupt glare towards Reval.

@Sorana

Edited by Nohadon

Silas sat in his van and watcher the chaos unfold, a man who seemed to be a Dustbringer fighting the remaining guards. So, Silas thought, this man must be my rescue. He tried to stand up, but promptly fell over due to the sedative still wearing off. 

@Ashbringer

Arkaitz left his current partner behind with a chaste kiss on the cheek, and walked into a quiet (comparatively) tavern.

@Sherlock Holmes

Everyone's changing their profile pictures aaaahhh...

Sorana: if we do Elsecall, it may do something weird to Byron's bubble. Nothing as dramatic the van, but it may make him collapse or lose control of the time compression. He's never Elsecalled before, but he'll have to get used to it (especially if he does become a Willshaper).

But... this post isn't about Byron.

Tyrian darted his head back and forth, trying to keep an eye on the three guards. The Leecher still held his knife, while the new guards had sheathed swords and knives. One of them had a package in his hand - it looked like a bag of some kind.

He's a Coinshot, Cinder whispered in his mind. Or maybe a Lurcher, but I doubt it. He has those bags of coins. Slightly to his left, the two watched the prisoner - Silas - stand up and then slump back down groggily. I guess he won't help us, either, said Cinder's voice.

Tyrian growled, turning his body toward the Leecher, who was still darting his eyes between his attacker and his prisoner. As he did so, the remaining guards circled around, drawing knives. One of them did something with a walkie-talkie: Tyrian didn't see. He did know that he couldn't just stand here in a stalemate for so long. So, he flung himself at the Coinshot.

The guard yelped, tearing open his pouch and flinging coins everywhere. Tyrian sucked in Stormlight and made himself frictionless, allowing that and his healing to repair the lacerations the coins gave him. He swung his sickle at the poor guard... only to meet nothing.

The guard went flying to the left just as he had swung, then crashed into a wall. He must be Pushing against the walls of the van, Cinder whispered. He'll be hard to catch. The Coinshot shook himself, then joined the other two jailers as Tyrian set his back to the wall.

Time to show some real strength. Tyrian swapped his sickle to his left hand, then pushed off the wall, with slippery feet and sticky hands, and crashed into the three with the force of a charging bull. The Coinshot pushed himself to the side, taking only a glancing swipe from his outstreched fist.

The Leecher was not so lucky. He dropped to the floor rather than try to parry the blow, but Tyrian still felt a satisfying tug on the end of his sickle. The man cried out, crumpling to the floor, clutching his shoulder.

And the middle guard, who had just finished drawing his sword, took Tyrian's headbutt right in the chest. He felt something give, and the man flew back toward the wall where Silas sat, unmoving. He dropped his sword.

Then he summoned a Shardblade.

Dustmother.

The Radiant stood, Stormlight swirling into his mouth from hidden gems, reknitting his bones. The Coinshot stumbled over to him. The Leecher was still down, but not out: Tyrian gave him a kick, sending him rolling out of his way, but still feeling a slight drop in his Investiture. That sickle wound was grave, but he would still be a threat.

"This is an Alleycity Guard operation. You are interfering with the general affairs of the city, disturbing the peace, and you have attacked Bly and Simon. I am placing you under detainment with the authority my assignment carries," proclaimed the Radiant. His dark eyes narrowed. "With force, if necessary."

Tyrian stopped paying attention. He knew those eyes. He growled. "Skybreaker."

The Radiant looked confused. "Well... yes. I carry the authority-"

Tyrian didn't let him finish. He thrust a hand into his coat pocket, bringing out a vial of metal. He drained it as the Skybreaker shouted at his Coinshot to do something, but metal vials, especially with Tyrian's muscle speed, were hard to Push on. Besides, Tyrian didn't plan on needing his Chromium today. He inhaled more Stormlight.

And flung his sickle at the Coinshot.

Again, the man yelped, instinctively Pushing: but the weapon was, of course, aluminum. Otherwise it would have been knocked out of his hand long ago. The Skybreaker had to block the spinning razor with his Shardblade as the man's physical reaction - collapsing - took too slow. In that time, Tyrian rushed, grabbing his other sickle and the Thug's sword off from the ground.

He swung with both at the Radiant. The Skybreaker swung to block, and Tyrian caught the blade in his sickle. He smirked. This was the other reason he liked sickles. They were large enough to trap a Shardblade. He pushed forward with the sickle, then swung the sword at the man's head. The Coinshot shouted, and Tyrian's arm was knocked back. Rusts. The sword was steel, not aluminum. Tyrian dropped the sword, then twisted his sickle, shifting the Shard to the Radiant's other side. Putting him between the two guards.

Then he made his feet fricitionless. The force of the bladelock sent him rocketing backwards, slamming him into the unfortunate Coinshot and pinning the him to the wall. Tyrian grunted, then started Dividing.

The Coinshot screamed. Briefly.

Tyrian stepped forward, letting the charred corpse fall behind him. An artistic coating of dust covered his back and his cape. Tyrian glared at the Radiant, the only one left standing. He reached into his cloak, patted his bandolier, and pulled out a long metal spike.

"Now," Tyrian snarled. "Where were we?"

Althea inhaled, her fingers tightening around the two holding her hands. She always wondered how people were more comfortable when you offered them a sliver of control, something to do, in order for another thing to happen. This was one of these things. She didn't need to touch them, didn't need their consent, but it was easier if they knew, if they felt as if taking her hand had something to do with elsecalling. It made them prepare themselves.

She knew her body was blazing with light for a moment, as the stormlight cursed through her veins, filled her with its comfortable strength. It was a storm, wild and restless, furious and raging, but it was her storm and she loved it with her whole heart. She mentally reached out for Aln and Ben made sure she got a good hold of them and then touched the veil between the realms.

She wasn't entirely sure when she'd started to refer to the border as a veil, when the picture of stepping through, brushing it aside in order to pass had stuck in her head and while she suspected that it wasn't how Elsecaller's were taught back on Roshar, she hadn't learned how to control her powers there. Sometimes it irked her, the thought that she possibly used a picture that was wrong, or unfitting the world her powers came from, but then she nearly laughed at her own thoughts. The picture worked for her and that was important. In the end it was the only thing that counted.

It didn't take her more than a heartbeat to elsecall them away, into the street she had seen the two guards run out of. The storm left her and she instinctively tapped a little more, just enough to have a small reserve in case she needed to do something. Withdrawing more was a thought, inhaling a second at most, but you never knew. She liked to be prepared.

Calm spread through her, when she turned her head to survey their surroundings. The Van was still a bit away, but she could see bodies on the ground around it. She wasn't entirely sure if it was still moving, but shot a quick look to the other first, to see if they were alright. Elsecalling could be a bit weird if you weren't used to it.

I stopped there to give you a chance to describe the effects on the speed bubble and Byron's reachtion.

May is over, so it's back to the usual profile pics (at least for a part). ^_^

@Ashbringer @Rushu42

Kerr fell from Aln's leg as he returned to his original form in Shadesmare

"Humm... I guess you don't need our help after all humm... Oh, Pel! It's been a long time humm... oddly long with our radiants living in the same building"

Kerr? Is everything alright? I heard some kind of.. statics on our bond

We're fine, it seems we've been elscalled humm..

Elscalled? So I guess there was danger, could try to learn more

On it hum.

"I didn't follow everything, humm.. could you tell why you did this emergency tranfert? humm.."

Apparently, annoyedly is a word, it's just that Firefox don't now it

Also I am making Kerr hum to much?

On 01/06/2020 at 9:36 AM, Nohadon said:

Eishtar turned to the girl, snapping abruptly to the tones and mannerisms of a kindly old man.

"We are all Isarok's children, children of the light, dear." He replies reassuringly before resuming his abrupt glare towards Reval.

More words. A threat. Reval kept his face still, trying to snuff out the slight fear that laid beneath his mask. Unstable, indeed. Crazy. Psycho. A variety of words to explain the same concept, the same idea of the man standing in front of him. But he obviously took his beliefs seriously, that was for sure. Reval noticed the way the man looked at Vivi. Differently, kindly. It made sense why he’d only have a problem with Reval. Reval was the only one calling him out.

Would it be better to leave? The thought fluttered into his mind, a quiet voice he’d trained himself to listen to. To set your ego aside and not risk chaos, violence, someone being harmed? You alone have the power to end this. Vivi is too young and will follow what you do. The cultist is too crazy for rational thinking. If you decide to fight - and you might - then anything that happens, any harm that the cultist does, or anything that happens to Vivi or a member of the public, that’s on you. That’s your fault. You have an option to leave.

His stance wavered, but before he could commit to retreat the world stilled again as the crowd came to a stop. In the far distance, above the stalls and shops, the explosion of fireworks lay in the air as if frozen in time. Well, not frozen. Just moving really slowly. Annoyance crossing over his face, Reval looked to the man. The cultist. Did this Allomancer really think he could intimidate someone just by slowing time, by boasting his power, trapping Reval in his own little Allomantic field?

But if you let him go, he told himself. Then the man will continue his crusade. Will continue his cult, and will continue being an unstable threat. And the next person he comes across may not be so fortunate. They may be some random civilian, non-Invested and easily slain. And then that, Reval Tenira, will your fault once again. That you didn’t stop this train dead in its tracks when you had the chance.

Descisions. Options. Thinking, Reval walked over to Vivi, dropping his voice to a bare whisper as he passed by her.

“If anything happens, drop to the floor before anything. He’s got guns, so he’ll fire at head or chest height. And if you can make sure you aren’t injured, then fight. If anything happens.”

He smiled at her, hopefully comfortingly. Then, curiously, inquisitively, Reval took a step forward towards the man. Then another one, his hand still hovering over his hidden dagger and painrial as the man’s hovered over his gun, but not actively threatening him.

Test the waters.

“You say I force your hand,” he said. “But you’re the only one who can control your actions, you know. And you’re the only one responsible. Those people you killed...” an assumption that he’d killed before, but this man gave off a murderer’s aura. “That’s on you. A man trying to justify his wrongdoings through the divine. No better than an ardent using the Almighty’s name to pocket a few extra spheres.

@Sorana

Edited by I think I am here.

13 hours ago, Sorana said:

It didn't take her more than a heartbeat to elsecall them away, into the street she had seen the two guards run out of. The storm left her and she instinctively tapped a little more, just enough to have a small reserve in case she needed to do something. Withdrawing more was a thought, inhaling a second at most, but you never knew. She liked to be prepared.

Calm spread through her, when she turned her head to survey their surroundings. The Van was still a bit away, but she could see bodies on the ground around it. She wasn't entirely sure if it was still moving, but shot a quick look to the other first, to see if they were alright. Elsecalling could be a bit weird if you weren't used to it.

Every-body's still in the Van. But it is getting a little crowded in there.

Byron felt the world spin around him as the scenery changed. It wasn't as unfamiliar as he had thought it would be - some form of transportation, likely just Elsecalling. He'd warped himself into the future before, watched lives, buildings, cities, kingdoms build themselves up and then tear themselves apart in what seemed like moments to his eyes. This felt quite different, but also... right.

Then fate decided to burst his bubble.

Time snapped back to reality's pace with a jolt, stunning Byron. For an instant, he was in a world alien to him. The breeze flowed evenly, rather than burst apart by dilation. The people distantly around him conversed slowly and carefully, not the high-pitched chirps he was used to. The shimmer marking the boundaries of his world were gone.

The force of his bubble's momentum-canceling was no longer there, and his adapted muscles collapsed under the sudden relief.

And the cadmium metal within his stomach was no longer a blessing, but a death sentence.

No. No no no no NO! Byron scrambled, arms and legs trying to find purchase while instinctively fighting an enemy that wasn't there. He was dying. This would kill him.

Then, his cadmium flared to life, and Byron breathed a silent sigh. The wind, the people, the bubble all returned to normal.

The whole affair had taken about three seconds.

Byron stood up, sheepishly. It had been a long time since one of his "fits" from cadmium stopping, let alone have it in front of other people.

Let alone the stoic Althea or... Aln.

He scratched the back of his neck. “I’ll... I’ll be alright. That... sometimes happens. If my bubble pops. I’ll be alright.”

His stomach burned. He groaned. “Although a bit of Regrowth might be nice.”

:-:-:-:-:-:

Tyrian stared at the Skybreaker, weapons at the ready. He’d only get one chance to use his spike - while strong as it may be, it would only take one hit from that Shardblade to be useless forever.

It only takes one hit from a Shardblade to make you useless forever, so stay sharp, Cinder’s voice whispered.

Tyrian nodded, mentally. Then he lunged, sickle flashing. The Skybreaker guard raised his sword to meet the hook, but Tyrian wasn’t looking for a bladelock. He caught the blade in his own, then flipped his spike from his left hand up into the air.

Then he slapped the flat of the Shardblade. 

The force of his blow sent the blade rushing over his foe’s shoulder, ripping it out of his hands and dissolving it to mist. The man was shocked, but reacted, stretching forth his other hand to re-summon the weapon. Aiming directly for Tyrian’s heart.

Tyrian grabbed his wrist. And burned chromium.

The triumphant look on the guard’s face was replaced with a look of bafflement. “My Shardblade...”

Then Tyrian grabbed him by the throat, silencing him, slamming him to the floor of the van.

“You employ a Leecher,” Tyrian hissed. “You should have known what we were capable of.”

He dropped the man’s crushed wrist and reached out his free arm, retrieving the spike from where it lay.

“You were... a good warrior. You will be remembered for this battle. But now...”

He stabbed him.

“You die.”

He turned, removing the spike’s smokeheart and turned to see his triumph. The prisoner, freed from his captors. The Thug, broken on the ground. The Coinshot, reduced to ash. The Skybreaker, soul forfeit as part of his plan. The Leecher...

The Leecher guard half-sat, half-lay in a corner, eyes wide with terror. Tyrian stalked over to him. Lowered his head, almost bending half at the waist. A small sound escaped from the man’s lips.

“Tell me,” Tyrian purred. “What do we do with you?”

Edited by Ashbringer
Had to finish the post via mobile - and added Tyrian’s POV

Aln's stomach lurched as the world jumped around her. She had Elsecalled on several occasions, but had never grown to like it. She dropped Althea's hand immediately as the world settled back into order, then took an instinctive step backward as Ben flailed and fell over. It took her a moment to realize why - Transportation must have interfered with his Cadmium bubble. Indeed, a moment later the shimmer was back in the air around them, and Ben was painfully clambering to his feet. Aln didn't hesitate to give him the requested Progression, but her mind was elsewhere. Cadmium was a rare enough power that she rarely got the chance to observe it in person, and it was even rarer to witness direct interactions with surgebinding. Her mind drifted to the sheaf of papers in the bottom of her desk, but Pel's voice intruded on her thoughts.

"Um, Aln? Kerr's here. Folorian's spren." 

Aln started and looked down. Sure enough, the cryptic crouched on the ground by her feet. "Kerr?" she asked. "What's going on?"

Her mask slipped down her nose, obscuring her vision, and she pushed it up irritably. The festival was beginning to wear on her. It wasn't just the confusion around the van; it was the constant presence of crowds of people. It was impossible to watch them all, and the numerous conversations crowded the air in claustrophobia-inducing patterns. She inhaled a small amount of stormlight, relishing the rush of energy, and did her best to pay attention to her companions, the spren, and the van at once.

Question: can Transportation normally be used for teleportation in the Physical Realm? I was under the impression that it was to jump between realms. It's fine if we're just handwaving that for the AV, but it's also likely that I'm just remembering wrong.

@Sorana @Ashbringer @mathiau

Edited by Rushu42
Tagging issues again

28 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Question: can Transportation normally be used for teleportation in the Physical Realm? I was under the impression that it was to jump between realms. It's fine if we're just handwaving that for the AV, but it's also likely that I'm just remembering wrong.

considering that it is described as the Surge of teleportation and something else that I don't remember, I would think so, but I don't think it's been canonized

Silas woke up again and looked at the chaos that had unfolded inside of the van, and smiled. He then looked at the man about to kill his least favorite captor, and un-smiled. "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you didn't kill that guard, O valiant rescuer of mine. Side note, do you have a hacksaw or something?"

@Ashbringer

Edited by bees?
adding tag

It’s definitely been used as direct teleporting previously in the Alleyverse, although that was in Era 1 where all bets were off.

Can’t tell if Silas is still bound or not, but Tyrian’s assuming he is without really checking.

Tyrian stared at the prisoner. He was awake, now, but still seemed to be rather... stuck. He rolled his eyes - well, eye - and stepped back from the Leecher, who seemed to be trembling more than ever.

Is this man evil? Cinder whispered, still searching for the Radiant’s highspren. Is this right?

Yes. It is.

“I was told you could free yourself easily,” Tyrian replied. “That I was here as... insurance. And you ask me to unchain you? To leave one of these animals alive for you to slaughter?”

He turned and grunted. “Fine. No, I don’t have a... hacksaw. You may use my sickle, if you wish. Now do you want me to release you, or can you-”

Something banged from outside. Tyrian paused. Cinder flew up, carrying a feebly glowing spren, and he took a few lazy swings at it with his smokeheart before finally stabbing it and completing his spike.

“We may have a larger problem,” Tyrian said offhandedly. “I believe we have... visitors. Shall we welcome them?”

@bees?

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln's stomach lurched as the world jumped around her. She had Elsecalled on several occasions, but had never grown to like it. She dropped Althea's hand immediately as the world settled back into order, then took an instinctive step backward as Ben flailed and fell over. It took her a moment to realize why - Transportation must have interfered with his Cadmium bubble. Indeed, a moment later the shimmer was back in the air around them, and Ben was painfully clambering to his feet. Aln didn't hesitate to give him the requested Progression, but her mind was elsewhere. Cadmium was a rare enough power that she rarely got the chance to observe it in person, and it was even rarer to witness direct interactions with surgebinding. Her mind drifted to the sheaf of papers in the bottom of her desk, but Pel's voice intruded on her thoughts.

"Um, Aln? Kerr's here. Folorian's spren." 

Aln started and looked down. Sure enough, the cryptic crouched on the ground by her feet. "Kerr?" she asked. "What's going on?"

Her mask slipped down her nose, obscuring her vision, and she pushed it up irritably. The festival was beginning to wear on her. It wasn't just the confusion around the van; it was the constant presence of crowds of people. It was impossible to watch them all, and the numerous conversations crowded the air in claustrophobia-inducing patterns. She inhaled a small amount of stormlight, relishing the rush of energy, and did her best to pay attention to her companions, the spren, and the van at once.

@Sorana @Ashbringer @mathiau

If it would not have been the worst joke ever, Kerr would have asked Alanis if she had gone deaf, that was the question he'd asked seconds earlier, well, it had probably been just a few seconds but really how could he know?

"Humm.. Apparently we've been been elscalled to a place close to where we were. humm.. ah, you actually meant 'why are you here', humm.. I followed you in case you needed help, apparently you did but no one noticed me asking"

Yes, transportation can be used to teleport things in the physical realm, we've yet to see a Radiant do it but that's how oathgates works.

@Sorana@Ashbringer@Rushu42

Edited by mathiau

2 hours ago, mathiau said:

"Humm.. Apparently we've been been elscalled to a place close to where we were. humm.. ah, you actually meant 'why are you here', humm.. I followed you in case you needed help, apparently you did but no one noticed me asking"

Cryptics. Aln usually found their unique perspective on the world fascinating, but it could make communication difficult. She could at least see his words; Aln had been relieved when she had discovered that her peculiar boon still applied to Splinters.

"I'm not sure if we need help, honestly," she replied, glancing up at the van. Something was happening there, that much was obvious, but it was hard to discern precisely what. Are those dents in the sides of the van? That suggested a fight. This could be very dangerous. "There's some commotion surrounding a vehicle up ahead. I was investigating with some acquaintances. Could you tell Folorian to be ready in case something goes wrong? It's very possible that we'll have to clear the area of bystanders."

Edited by Rushu42

11 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

For one thing, I imagine very large dents in the walls of the van

Helpful to know, thanks. I edited my last post to take that into account.

Edited by Rushu42
*Grumbles something incoherent about typos*

"Don't worry about it." Althea made a calming gesture in Ben'S direction when he apologized for his reaction. "It's nothing to be ashamed of." She kept her eyes on his face for a heartbeat and then added, her voice softer than before. "We all have our package to carry. Don't feel as if you're the only one." A shadow crossed her eyes at the memories that tried to take a hold of her for a moment, but she evaded them easily, had learned to live with them. She could accept them, she had to. Although sometimes, sometimes it was so incredibly hard.

Althea waited until Ben appeared to be alright again and only then focused on the Van. His reaction was interesting, but nothing she would spend any time on considering it right now. For now the Van and those inside were more important. When she knew what was going on, then she could make a decision whether to intervene or not. Recalling the faces of the guards that had fled towards the bonfire earlier it wasn't something good and for a moment she was tempted to turn around and walk away, but then nearly violently discarded the thought. No. Walking away wasn't the path she had decided to walk. Whereever her journey would end, turning away from something like this wasn't a part of it.

"You can stay a little back, if you want to." she offered Ben and Aln, made sure her tone conveyed that she wouldn't think less of them if they did. She wasn't entirely looking forward to an open confrontation herself, but if there was a chance she could save a live by intervening, then she had to give it a try. She had faced monsters, gates into the Void. She could take a look inside of this Van.

Walking over she looked at the back door, dented, but somehow still holding in place. Not wasting time on trying out to open it by hand she simply placed a hand on the cool metal and reached out for it. Metal remembered flowing, being flexible like a river and it was easy to convince it, that being water would be a great improvement compared to an ungly, dented door of a Van. It left her with some plastic, cables and some parts she had no idea that they belonged into a door.

Pulling a part of the plastic aside she was able to gaze into the Van, immediatly noticing the bodies, the traces of a fight. A prisoner, somehow still sitting on a bench and in front of him the one who had probably caused most of this destruction. A man, his uniform identifying him as one of the guards cowered in a corner, obviously shaking from fear. Althea inhaled more stormlight and got him out of the way, to an empty place on the pavement close to Aln. Hopefully she would take the cue and see if there were any wounds she could take care off.

Her heart started to beat faster when she realized that right here and now she had interfered, had lost her last chance to turn around. Without Max, she hadn't fought without him by her side in years. There had been that one duel in Shadesmar, but she'd never aimed for Lusk's death, and while she suspected that he had, both of them had been no fighters. This man instead - he was a warrior. His stance, the way he held himself, how he moved. A warrior. Exactly the kind of person Max would take over, with her supporting him from a few steps away. Swallowing she forced herself contain her calm facade, despite everything of the man reminding her of someone else. The same readiness to kill. They didn't look alike, but there was something about him, that called forth a hint of fear and pain, memories of a battle long over. She rested her left hand of her bag to keep it from shaking slightly, tapped a bit more stormlight out of her bracelet. It's feeling wasn't exactly calming, but it reassured her, made her feel stronger and more confident.

Max. she reached out to him. Have you seen one of them before? She followed her sentence up with a picture of the inside of the Van, so that he could make a picture for himself. And if you're not too far away, some backup would be nice.

Even if he was close, chances that he arrived in time were low. He might, but by no means should she count on it. Neither should she count on Aln or Ben. She didn't know them well enough to know if they would support her, or leave her alone.

"Hello." she said instead, without any real idea what it was that she was supposed to do now. With the last survivor gone, it was only the two of them. And while the chains hinted at the fact, that at least one of them was being held for a reason, there was no way for her to know for sure. The only thing she knew was, that she most certainly wasn't going to start the fight. Not if they stopped killing people. "What is going here?" she asked instead, if only to buy herself a little more time to decide. If she let them go - how did she know that they wouldn't continue to kill somewhere else?

@Ashbringer @Rushu42 @bees? @I think I am here.

===============

Vivi followed Reval when he stepped closer to the man. Drop to the ground and then start fighting. She had no idea how she was supposed to fight with her face pressed into the dirt, but she didn't doubt she would figure something out. The man was dangerous. Dangerous enough, that Reval appeared to be scared. She knew it from the way his fingers twitched, how he held himself ready. Vivi didn't know if the man would detect these little things, but growing up around him and her mother had left her able to read both of them. Sometimes. Sometimes they were nothing but inreadable stones to her, especially when they didn't want her to know what was going on.

"I'm not Isharok's child and neither is my brother." she disagreed vehemently, only belatedly realizing what the man had claimed. Her parents lying to them, her mother having a different man? No, it wasn't possible "My father is called Max. And he is a good man. Brave and strong. He always fights for the weak ones, and then he's funny, and he tells all these bad dad jokes, and sometimes they make my mother laugh loudly." She liked it when her mother laughed. It banished the shadows that sometimes sat in her eyes, shook her out of her thoughts when she sat on their terrace, looking outside into their garden.

She stuffed a last bit of cotton candy into her mouth and dropped the stick to the ground, slipping out of one strip of her backpack, ready to drop it to the ground should it be neccessary. Hopefully nobody stepped on Rainbowglow, but with the people outside of the bubble moving slowly the danger wasn't too high.

@Nohadon

Aln watched carefully as Althea stepped up to the van, stormlight still coursing through her own veins. The other woman melted the van's door into water (Elsecaller, Aln noted) and looked inside. Aln felt herself tense. She didn't know what she would do if there was a fight. Probably run, she admitted to herself. Suddenly, a man appeared beside her in a bust of light, dropping prone on the ground. Aln cursed under her breath. So it is a fight, then. I hope Folorian hurries. 

The man was bleeding from a bad wound in his shoulder, and he wore a crumpled uniform. Aln knelt beside him and began to use Regrowth. Most of her spheres had drained by the time his wounds had sealed. The man looked up with grateful eyes, and Aln couldn't suppress a surge of satisfaction. That's two people I've healed today, Pel, she thought. Then she returned her gaze to the man on the ground. "Could you tell me what happened here, please?" 

@Ashbringer @bees?

Tagging @bees? because he actually knows what's going on here. I can respond for the NPC if you want, but I don't know who he was transporting or why, so it might be difficult.

Althea moved the Leecher to Aln? Oh, I don't think we'll be happy about that. Go ahead and treat any NPCs as your own, but I can speak for them if you want a recounting of events.

Tyrian will probably attack any interlopers, but Cinder's hesitant to start a fight with unknown individuals and they'll back off if Silas says to escape or if Althea/Byron prove to be slippery. Tyrian's strong, scary, and Invested, but he's not actually as experienced a fighter as he looks.

Byron stared. He knew that... thing. The monster from Roshar. He had followed him. Followed him as a friend. And he'd become... this.

He turned to Aln. "That one... he'll kill us if he gets the chance. He'll kill Althea."

"I know him."

He turned back toward the standoff, trying to keep his bubble as fast as possible, watching Althea face the prisoner and the monster. He reached into his cloak and rested his hands on two knives - one steel, one glass. He wouldn't interfere unless he needed to.

You're kidding yourself if you think you won't.

:-:-:-:-:-:

Tyrian was walking back towards where his other sickle lay when the door decided to melt.

He froze, tensed. A woman stood next to the van's now-open wall, hand in midair. She'd evidently Soulcast the wall, although Tyrian couldn't see any bracelet on the woman's arm. Radiant.

"Hello? What is going on here?" the woman asked. She didn't appear to be any constable, but Tyrian could feel the frustration on her voice. She obviously didn't approve of whatever she thought had happened.

"Is that your concern?" Tyrian growled. He started to raise his sickle.

Cinder rushed out from his cape, flying next to his ear. "We have no idea who she is. We can't just attack a random individual. She hasn't done anything evil."

"She interfered," Tyrian attempted to whisper. It still reverberated off the walls. "Is that not evil?"

Cinder's mouth gaped, as much as a spren's mouth could. "No! It isn't evil to walk-" He paused. "At least see what she has to say?"

"Fine. I wait for her. And him," he said, nodding his head towards Silas, "and them," pointing toward the group of... three?

That storming woman had moved the Leecher. He was collapsed on the street, moving slowly, attended by another masked woman and a boy. The boy looked... familiar. Strange.

Tyrian turned, keeping his sickle held lazily in his hand, and started walking to where his other lay. Instead of picking it up, he kicked it, sliding it towards Silas. "Do you have anything else to say?" he said, glancing between the interloper and the prisoner.

Sorana, you... may have missed something :D. I'll let Bees/Silas decide if we attack or not.

28 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Sorana, you... may have missed something :D.

While that is always possible, I'm not sure I did. :P

Althea's acting according to her oaths and I tried hard to have her act based on them and on what she is able to see, the conclusions she can draw. Add my ooc knowledge of your posts into the mix, how she acted wasn't entirely wise, but she can't act act on what she doesn't know.