Sorana

3 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

I'll give the others a chance to "investigate" the van before I get much closer. Byron needs some time to sulk; society and personal questions tend to scare him, especially put on the spot so much. He'll be alright.

Thanks a lot!

Additionally it might be a possibility to get our characters to interact one way or the other.

============

11 hours ago, Silva said:

"Do you do this thing a lot?" he asked her. "Investigate sketchy-looking stuff?"

"When it needs to be done." she replied with a slight shrug. "It's not what I do for a living, if that's what you're aiming for." she added when she realized that her reply sounded unfriendly. "You could say, that I have a hard time to stand by and watch bad things happen. If I feel like there is something I can do, then I  stand up and act, instead of lean back in my chair and watch chaos envelope the city."

She didn't look at him, instead kept her attention at the Van and those close to it. He had given his sweet away to a child and she had slowed her steps a little to allow him to catch up easily afterwards. Wrapping her remaining strawberries in an handkerchief she carefully stowed them in her bag, her fingers brushing over the little bag with spheres she kept there as well, directly next to her sunglasses and the ever present sunscreen.

Brashen returned and settled on her shoulder again. "There's a prisoner inside." he whispered into her ear, "sounds like fighting." She gave a slight, barely visible nod and inhaled some stormlight. No enough to make her skin glow, just a little to have it ready should she need it. Looking around she noticed another man, a distressed look on his face, heading in the Van's direction. He was moving at the same pace as those around him, but his movements were off, not those of a leisurely walk, but rather of brisk steps. Cadmium, maybe. His eyes weren't on the Van and he didn't seem to noticethe vehicle, seemed to be preoccupied with himself and his thoughts. She had seen him before, talking to some of the other on the place - why he left, idle speculation that wouldn't help her cause at all.

"You were right." she adressed Eiran again. "See how thick the Van's sides are? Definitely reinforged to transport dangerous goods or people." And the festival was the best moment to break someone out. Everybody was wearing masks, people were already starting to stagger drunkenly around. Hard to find the culprits and even harder to judge if anybody would try to break into the car.

Slowly she walked closer, still keeping a few meters between herself and the Van. If neccessary she could elsecall there anytime, face whatever danger might come. For now she stayed close to Eiran. While she was able to heal from life threatening wounds, as long as she didn't know if he possessed some kind of investiture, she had to assume he could die as easily as most of those around them.

@bees?

===============

Music was drifting over to him when Mike kept to the darker streets and alleys, avoiding those lit by bright fires and full of dancing people. He'd snatched a sweet roll from one of the stalls, eating it quickly before someone else could take it out of his hands. The food soothed his stomach a little, and it only grumbled a little when he had finished. Better. Hopefully his hands would stop shaking soon as well, now that he had eaten some sugar. Shaking hands tended to get in his way when he tried to pick a lock or reach into someone's pocket.

A group of teens passed him on the other side of the street, pointing and shooting his strange looks. Mike glared at them, pulled his hood a little higher, covering more of his face. A mask. He was close enough to the festivities that she should wear a mask. Changing course he passed one of the places and took a dark green scarf, that looked nearly black from a chair. He casually continued to walk, pretending nothing had happened, and quickly vanished into the shadow's again. Drawing a knife he cut two holes into it and then tied it behind the back of his head.

Glancing into a window passed, he frowned at his own reflection. He now looked like a cheap imitation of a ninja, with his dark cloths, the tattered cloak and the black stripe covering his eyes. Add a sword to his back and he could have jumped out of a cheap movie. He paused when he heard laughter. A loud, self-confident one belonging to a woman, a quieter one, that sounded as if the laughing person was nearly afraid of their own joy. Turning around he saw nothing, only the cobbles shimmering in the light of the moon. Shimmering silver, just like a gun might do giving the right light. Laughter echoed over again, three, no four voices and he knew, knew with absolute certainty that he knew these voices. A gun and a ninja. The two words belonged together, just as he belonged to them, just as he wasn't where he was supposed to be. Longing filled his chest when he turned around his axis again, glanced up the buildings, looked for the source, for the place they had gathered. He should be there, should be with them, celebrating their latest successful - the thought slipped through his hands leaving nothing behind but a dark chasm.

There was nobody he should be with, and as the laughter vanished, so did the certainty that he wasn't alone, that he had a place he belonged. Mike stared at himself in the window again. A ninja. As if he was a secret fighter, attacking out of the shadows. He was a lot of things, but not a ninja, a famed assassin. This was nothing but a cheap imitation of a costume. Abprubtly he turned away, left the window, the frail memory of something he had lost behind.

This was no place for dreamers, for idle chit chat. Nobody would come by and offer him a hand, a place where he belonged. Nobody even knew he existed. Alleycity swallowed those like him, dragged them into it's warm embrace and then spat them out when there was nothing left to take.

Edited by Sorana
added Mike's pov

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

"You were right." she adressed Eiran again. "See how thick the Van's sides are? Definitely reinforged to transport dangerous goods or people." And the festival was the best moment to break someone out. Everybody was wearing masks, people were already starting to stagger drunkenly around. Hard to find the culprits and even harder to judge if anybody would try to break into the car.

Slowly she walked closer, still keeping a few meters between herself and the Van. If neccessary she could elsecall there anytime, face whatever danger might come. For now she stayed close to Eiran. While she was able to heal from life threatening wounds, as long as she didn't know if he possessed some kind of investiture, she had to assume he could die as easily as most of those around them.

Eiran pretended to notice the distinction she spoke of, but in truth had no clue how she knew the sides of the van were reinforced.He was unhappy that that vision was correct. Since they showed only the likely futures most of the time, there was always a slim chance that what he'd seen wouldn't occur. Though, he did know there were likely many positive outcomes that he simply couldn't know of in advance. 

He nodded. "Normally, I let other people take care of any bad things I see. I'd be more hindrance than help typically," he said in response to her answer to his question. It was an admittance of his uselessness, but he had a feeling she wouldn't be the type to exploit that without good reason. And he didn't intend to give any good reason for it to be. Additionally, it was better for her to know who she was working with. A guy who tended to sit behind desks all day, not running around saving lives. He preferred reading through documentation and finding that one error that would make it all right.

"But who is in it and why drive here? What's the point? It seems quite illogical. They're practically asking for the person they're transporting to be broken out," Eiran noted, his eyes fixed on the van.

Again, he noticed the slips a moment later. Who. The person. For all she knew, it could have been illegal goods. He had no way of rationalizing the word he'd chosen.

Slontze, he though. You really need to work on keeping your mouth shut.

A lot more practice. That was what he needed and a bit of what he was getting that night. Practice for tomorrow when the people he interacted with would know who he was and have multiple chances of seeing him mess up like the inexperienced liar he was.

2 minutes ago, Silva said:

A lot more practice. That was what he needed and a bit of what he was getting that night. Practice for tomorrow when the people he interacted with would know who he was and have multiple chances of seeing him mess up like the inexperienced liar he was.

Althea nodded thoughtfully, considered his words carefully. He knew that a person was in there, knew it without any hint that was obvious to her. Fascinating. Maybe she could get him to trust her enough to tell her about his abilities. To learn how he was able to do that, the borders, the possibilities. She found herself taking mental notes of his words and his knowledge. He was talking about seeing. A prophet of some sorts? Able to see different time lines and occurences and sort through them, decide which ones were most likely to happen.

"I doubt you are useless." she disagreed, kept her voice soft to prevent it from carrying far. "Who knows, maybe we would have missed the Van, if you hadn't pointed it out. Helping is about more than just swinging a sword around and shouting loud curses." her hands made a sweeping gesture towards her body, indicating that she wasn't wearing any kind of weapon either. Not that it really mattered as she could summon Brashen, but even if she did, she had no clue how to wield him properly. Without a trained fighter by her side, without Max taking over that part she felt nearly helpless. It had been a long time since she had stepped up to a potential confrontation without him by her side.

"Should this somehow end in an open fight, my priorities are to get the crowd out of their way. If this really is an organized jailbreak, then I'm not sure if I can do something against them either." She could always soulcast them into statues, especially if they weren't highly invested or carrying aluminum on their bodies, but the boy didn't need to know that. "But yes, it is strange that the car goes so slowly, nearly inviting someone to give it a try. Maybe the prisoner's friends were able to bribe the driver, or they are in on the plot."

She shifted her weight to her other foot and continued to observe their surroundings. For now everything was quiet. "Or maybe, nothing will happen." she added after a while, mostly to make sure they didn't forget that possibility. She doubted it, not with the confirmation that he had seen something that was important enough to adress it loudly.

Aln had opened her mouth to reply to Folorian when everyone moved as if acting on some unknown cue. A woman in the mask of a dove appeared and began to speak, Byron bolted, and a sword hurtled towards her head. She managed to duck, instinctively inhaling a bit of stormlight, and it thankfully clattered harmlessly into a wall behind her. She turned staring at where the sword had come from, and spotted someone who seemed to be selling a whole bundle of them. He seemed the likeliest culprit. She shot him a dirty glare, and resolved to track him down later. She then glanced in the other direction, at Ben's retreating back. 

I hope he's alright, she thought, half to her spren. He seemed pretty upset.

"Do you want me to follow the him?" asked her spren. She glanced towards the patch of light in surprise. Pel rarely offered suggestions of his own volition, let alone one so unexpected as that. 

That seems morally ambiguous, she replied. I spoke a couple sentences to him. Does that give me the right to invade his privacy?

"You're just trying to make sure that he's okay."

Does that make it ethical? It sounds like you're trying to use the ends to justify the means. Doesn't 'journey before destination' specifically counter that?

"You're only arguing because you know you want to do it. And now he's getting away."

Aln sighed. Fine. Just follow him for a minute to make sure that he's not running from danger. Then come right back. Don't trail him to his house or anything.

Pel zipped off without a word, the patch of light weaving through the crowd. I hope that proves unnecessary, she thought, then turned her attention back to the people in front of her. She had been a bit distracted at the time, but she believed that the woman in the mask had introduced herself as Crow. 

"I'm Aln" she said, trying to regain her bearings. "Um, it's nice to meet you."

@mathiau @Archer @Ashbringer @Ark1002

Edited by Rushu42
This storming website won't let me tag anyone

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln had opened her mouth to reply to Folorian when everyone moved as if acting on some unknown cue. A woman in the mask of a dove appeared and began to speak, Byron bolted, and a sword hurtled towards her head. She managed to duck, instinctively inhaling a bit of stormlight, and it thankfully clattered harmlessly into a wall behind her. She turned staring at where the sword had come from, and spotted someone who seemed to be selling a whole bundle of them. He seemed the likeliest culprit. She shot him a dirty glare, and resolved to track him down later. She then glanced in the other direction, at Ben's retreating back. 

I hope he's alright, she thought, half to her spren. He seemed pretty upset.

"Do you want me to follow the him?" asked her spren. She glanced towards the patch of light in surprise. Pel rarely offered suggestions of his own volition, let alone one so unexpected as that. 

That seems morally ambiguous, she replied. I spoke a couple sentences to him. Does that give me the right to invade his privacy?

"You're just trying to make sure that he's okay."

Does that make it ethical? It sounds like you're trying to use the ends to justify the means. Doesn't 'journey before destination' specifically counter that?

"You're only arguing because you know you want to do it. And now he's getting away."

Aln sighed. Fine. Just follow him for a minute to make sure that he's not running from danger. Then come right back. Don't trail him to his house or anything.

Pel zipped off without a word, the patch of light weaving through the crowd. I hope that proves unnecessary, she thought, then turned her attention back to the people in front of her. She had been a bit distracted at the time, but she believed that the woman in the mask had introduced herself as Crow. 

"I'm Aln" she said, trying to regain her bearings. "Um, it's nice to meet you."

@mathiau @Archer @Ashbringer @Ark1002

Crow's blue-green eyes widen beneath her mask, and she stammered at the rapid succession of events. "Well, uh. Nice to meet you, Aln."

@mathiau @Archer @Ashbringer

18 hours ago, Archer said:

"I heard someone say they need a crowbar!" From across the street, Kingston threw a black claymore that, in the wrong lighting and with a little bit of imagination, could conceivably be used as a crowbar. It nearly impaled the woman dancing next to Crow Johnson, but fortunately she side-stepped it and it clattered harmlessly to the cobblestones. "There's more of the exact same sword where that came from, just step this way, ladies and gentlemen!" The distraction made it difficult to tell if Folorian spoke before, after, or at the same time as Crow. 

Meanwhile, Kingston produced another pair of sunglasses from his pocket and placed them over top of the ones he was already wearing. Their tint was hard to identify in the semi-darkness of the street, but it would be widely agreed that it was not a good look to combine two lenses and a costume mask. Fashion wasn't the Smedry's strong suit. He scanned the gathering in front of him for trouble. Tonight would be the perfect opportunity for his pursuers to ambush him, though he was confident that he was being subtle enough to avoid detection. 

NullBlade ran toward Kingston

"Why in the Almighty's tenth name did you launch a sword at that dancer?"

Just now, Ark1002 said:

Crow's blue-green eyes widen beneath her mask, and she stammered at the rapid succession of events. "Well, uh. Nice to meet you, Aln."

@mathiau @Archer @Ashbringer

Folorian was about to ask Aln why Ben had run away but he realized she was speaking to another woman, so he lightwove a small message -small enough that Aln would see it, but small enough so Crow would probably not

Do you know why Ben ran? And do you know this woman's name?

Wait, IS there a team getting ready to break Silas out? Or is Byron just going to inadvertantly cause this?

I'm fine either way but it makes a write-up easier if I can tell. Either way, in my next post that van's hitting the bubble.

Byron kept moving, only stopping once he was close to the white-haired lady and the man with glasses. He wasn't in the mood for another conversation, especially with his cadmium nearly out of control. He sat down on the cobblestones of the sidewalk, watching the people walk past on the other side. They all seemed to be heading for something. Maybe a bigger celebration. He didn't really care. He took another swig from his cadmium-laced canteen, trying to keep the bubble at a steady speed and trying to watch the couple looking at the van. 

He reached into one of his cloak's pockets, examining his haul of stolen trinkets. Some coins and crysts - he ignored those for now. A little dagger. Three bits of metal that looked like they came from a broken zipper. A fountain pen. Wait - a spanreed? Byron threw it away; that was something its owner would miss. A tin of toffee, a metal vial, an embossed card -.

A card? Byron didn't remember stealing a card. He took it out, reading it. Cassandra Adama, Alchemical Metallurgist and Soulcaster.

He started. Cassie! She IS here!

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

NullBlade ran toward Kingston. "Why in the Almighty's tenth name did you launch a sword at that dancer?"

“It’s not a sword, it’s a doorstop of my own design. As I told the young lady, simply wedge the point into the ground at the base of any door and it will hold it open indefinitely.” As he demonstrated the motion with a copper short sword, he noticed the aluminum sheath on Nullblade’s hip. “Oh, I see I’ve already given you one. I’m sorry, but I have a strict ‘one doorstop per customer’ rule, you greedy gancho.” Kingston threw away the weapon, arcing it over the crowd to hit a building on the far side.

People reacted strangely when you threw swords at them. Some, like Nullblade, became indignant. Others dodged out of the way or simply ducked their heads, depending on the amount of alcohol in their system. Regardless of their response, everyone’s natural reaction was to flinch at least a little bit. All except the hooded figure standing across the street. He was doing a good job of not appearing to stare, but despite being nearly impaled by Kingson’s impromptu projectile, he didn’t flinch. That’s how the Smedry knew he was trouble.

“You know what, Nullblade, I’ve had a change of heart. Your confronting me was just the convincing I needed to change my stick-throwing ways. What do you say we go somewhere else so we can discuss this and any other behavioural corrections you may care to suggest? I would love to hear whatever ideas you may have.” Skittishly, Kingston started trying to walk away. He wanted to get lost in the crowd so he could change his disguise. Anywhere was better than here right now.

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

She shifted her weight to her other foot and continued to observe their surroundings. For now everything was quiet. "Or maybe, nothing will happen." she added after a while, mostly to make sure they didn't forget that possibility. She doubted it, not with the confirmation that he had seen something that was important enough to adress it loudly.

Huh. He hadn't expected her also to be unarmed. So maybe he wasn't suicidal for thinking that carrying a weapon would more likely cause him to hurt himself?

Eiran looked at the people nearby. Many were drunk and others were minding their own business. Basically all were ignoring the world. It would take quite a lot to get their attention, but maybe breaking into the van would cause that large of a ruckus. 

"Anything is possible," he said, though his voice clearly indicated that he didn't believe that would be the case.

His eyes fell on a man walking oddly. The movements were that of a person moving quickly, however, the speed was ordinary. 

Cadmium? he wondered. He knew the basic uses of each Allomantic metal from reading about Scadrial. Considering its long term, in motion, possibilities hadn't before been something he'd thought about previously. Like many things, that would be a topic for later.

He felt his heart pitter-pattering quickly in his chest. The anticipation of simply standing and waiting made him antsy. She still seemed perfectly calm.

Eiran forced himself to stare at the van. 

It seemed sturdy enough. Secure. Not about to fall about. Breaking in would require tools most didn't have. So why did he see the person inside getting loose and attacking him? There were only a couple situations that ended in his death--most simply caused him emotional duress--yet he still couldn't tell how it got to that point since that didn't directly endanger him. Or that's how he was pretty sure it worked. Maybe there was some aluminum interference going on. That tended to mess with things.

Althea and Eiran are witnesses who will try to intervene should a break out occur, intentionally or unintentionally caused.

@Ashbringer

1 hour ago, Archer said:

“It’s not a sword, it’s a doorstop of my own design. As I told the young lady, simply wedge the point into the ground at the base of any door and it will hold it open indefinitely.” As he demonstrated the motion with a copper short sword, he noticed the aluminum sheath on Nullblade’s hip. “Oh, I see I’ve already given you one. I’m sorry, but I have a strict ‘one doorstop per customer’ rule, you greedy gancho.” Kingston threw away the weapon, arcing it over the crowd to hit a building on the far side.

People reacted strangely when you threw swords at them. Some, like Nullblade, became indignant. Others dodged out of the way or simply ducked their heads, depending on the amount of alcohol in their system. Regardless of their response, everyone’s natural reaction was to flinch at least a little bit. All except the hooded figure standing across the street. He was doing a good job of not appearing to stare, but despite being nearly impaled by Kingson’s impromptu projectile, he didn’t flinch. That’s how the Smedry knew he was trouble.

“You know what, Nullblade, I’ve had a change of heart. Your confronting me was just the convincing I needed to change my stick-throwing ways. What do you say we go somewhere else so we can discuss this and any other behavioural corrections you may care to suggest? I would love to hear whatever ideas you may have.” Skittishly, Kingston started trying to walk away. He wanted to get lost in the crowd so he could change his disguise. Anywhere was better than here right now.

NullBlade garbed Kingson's harm with his left hand, leaving the right one free in case of need

"I wasn't born with the last rain, I can see the difference between a sword and a doorstop"

Kingson's answer made no sense, did he really expect him to confuse a sword and a doorstop? I yes he was either really dumb, had some kind of persuasion power or had another advantage NullBlade didn't know of, anyway it would be better to avoid dragging anyone else in this.

I'm not sure I understand the part with the hooded figure, I feel like your talking about Folorian, but he doesn't wear a hood :)

7 hours ago, mathiau said:

Folorian was about to ask Aln why Ben had run away but he realized she was speaking to another woman, so he lightwove a small message -small enough that Aln would see it, but small enough so Crow would probably not

Do you know why Ben ran? And do you know this woman's name?

Aln glanced down and subtly lightwove her own response. 

I have no idea, but I've got my spren following him in case he's in trouble. And I'm reasonably sure that her name is Crow.

Turning her attention back to Crow, she asked, "So, do you know that young man? Ben? Or why someone just threw a sword at us?"

@Ark1002

Edited by Rushu42
I forgot to respond to Ark's post. On that note, does anyone know how to add a quote in an edit? I can't figure it out.

4 hours ago, mathiau said:

NullBlade grabbed Kingson's arm with his left hand, leaving the right one free in case of need. "I wasn't born with the last rain, I can see the difference between a sword and a doorstop." [OOC: I'm not sure I understand the part with the hooded figure, I feel like your talking about Folorian, but he doesn't wear a hood]

The hooded figure is an NPC from Kingston's past. He means him harm, but will retreat if approached. 

Kingston nearly stumbled when NullBlade pulled him back by grabbing his forearm. "Alright," he said. "Since you'd rather dance, let's tango."

He reached his free hand forward to rest on the Epic's right shoulder, placing them in an awkward slow dance position. Milking the moment, he shuffled his feet and swayed his hips, bumping up against the people around them. Over NullBlade's shoulder, he was able to see that the hooded man was pretending to window shop, likely watching the goings on through the reflections in the glass. "I'm gonna dip on three, okay? One-" 

Kingston fell forward, arms outstretched to break his fall in case his dancing partner had slow reflexes. As he did, his face shimmered. A three-day stubble appeared on his chin, giving it sharper definition. The mask he wore changed too, taking on the colour of a shimmering black pearl, better concealing the tint of the sunglasses over his eyes. All over the rest of his body, dirt stains appeared. The Semdry winked conspiratorially at NullBlade. The motion was completely lost behind his mask and Disguiser's Lens. "I really thought you'd be a better dancer," he teased, offering no more explanation. "Now that I've told you all about myself, you must tell me what brings you round these parts. From the look in your eyes, I think you're searching for love. I could introduce you to a couple lady friends here, if you're not too shy."

11 hours ago, Silva said:

It seemed sturdy enough. Secure. Not about to fall about. Breaking in would require tools most didn't have. So why did he see the person inside getting loose and attacking him? There were only a couple situations that ended in his death--most simply caused him emotional duress--yet he still couldn't tell how it got to that point since that didn't directly endanger him. Or that's how he was pretty sure it worked. Maybe there was some aluminum interference going on. That tended to mess with things.

The allomancer ended up close to them, too close for her own liking. She prefered if people she didn't know kept their distance, especially if they were behaving erratically. Signaling Brashen to keep his eyes on the Van she turned her head and looked the man over again, noted the way he breathed, how his eyes moved around. Stressed, very stressed. Something about this celebration had left him in very bad shape.

A bitter taste rose in her mouth when she remembered how she had ended up in the bathroom, hugging her knees to her chest, staring at a lone candleflame, staring and staring while sweat ran down her body, while she was breathing so hard and so quickly that she had trouble to get any air into her lungs at all. It had taken Max to pick her up from the floor, blow out the candle and hold her until she had calmed down again.

She was no specialist in these things, had no idea if what was going on inside the man's head was the same direction or if he'd taken some drugs, maybe even mixed them with alcohol. Anything was possible she silently echoed Eiran's thoughts and then turned back to the Van. One thing after the other. Once that car sped up again, maybe they could head over and talk to the stranger, see if he needed medical care of if a quiet space would be enough to set him right again.

He was certainly buying himself time, sitting inside of his Cadmium Bubble like this, making the world rush past, the night speed by. The Van. He was sitting on the ground, staring at some kind of card, there were no signs of interaction between him and the Van. And yet, Althea pursed his lips in thought when she realized that she was missing a small detail. He wasn't showing any particular interested in the Van, in contract he ignored everything around him, completely focused on what he held in his hands. Keep and eye on him. She decided and signaled Brashen to do this. Chances were high he was just another of those drunk ones that stumbled around everywhere.

7 hours ago, Archer said:

Kingston nearly stumbled when NullBlade pulled him back by grabbing his forearm. "Alright," he said. "Since you'd rather dance, let's tango."

He reached his free hand forward to rest on the Epic's right shoulder, placing them in an awkward slow dance position. Milking the moment, he shuffled his feet and swayed his hips, bumping up against the people around them. Over NullBlade's shoulder, he was able to see that the hooded man was pretending to window shop, likely watching the goings on through the reflections in the glass. "I'm gonna dip on three, okay? One-" 

Kingston fell forward, arms outstretched to break his fall in case his dancing partner had slow reflexes. As he did, his face shimmered. A three-day stubble appeared on his chin, giving it sharper definition. The mask he wore changed too, taking on the colour of a shimmering black pearl, better concealing the tint of the sunglasses over his eyes. All over the rest of his body, dirt stains appeared. The Semdry winked conspiratorially at NullBlade. The motion was completely lost behind his mask and Disguiser's Lens. "I really thought you'd be a better dancer," he teased, offering no more explanation. "Now that I've told you all about myself, you must tell me what brings you round these parts. From the look in your eyes, I think you're searching for love. I could introduce you to a couple lady friends here, if you're not too shy."

As Kingston started falling, NullBlade just got out the way and, before Kingston had the time to get back on his feet, put one foot on his back

"You didn't tell me anything true" he pull his shardblade out if back scabbard a little, slightly cutting his cape in the process "And you better start now, and don't every "

Of course, NullBlade didn't actually intended to use his blade on it, but Kingston didn't need to now it.

"And don't ever talk about love that way again"

He wasn't searching for love, quite the opposite. He had found love, and love didn't leave, after four months he could still feel her gentle gaze every time he stopped burning aluminium.

Nuemark Bordeux strolled along the sidewalk, sidestepping scattered groups of drunk partiers with a distasteful look, but letting solitary people remove themselves from his then unwavering path as they wandered the streets aimlessly. He had somewhere to go, a person to meet. They saw that in his erect posture, swift, purposeful stride, the determined expression held on his face and they moved. Gaining right of way was as simple as that. Authority was at its heart, a mere facade; that is, it was only as strong as the populaces' belief in it. As was currency, love, morals, and religion. The only thing that could be looked at the same way every time, obeyed forever, disobeyed and punished for, unchanging forever, was cold hard law. As he walked, Nuemark felt Annette's approval of that last thought somewhere in the back of his mind.

Edited by Elend Venture
Fixing a grammatical error.

Now there's TWO spren keeping an eye on me. Well, time to give them something to see.

Byron took off his mask and tried to read Cassie's card. The glittery front text was immistakable, but the address on the back was hard to see in the dim streetlamp's light. You've survived about three hundred years without anyone's help. You can survive another day. He put the card back in his pocket, and turned back toward-

Something... tickled the back of his neck. Not the breeze disrupting his cadmium bubble, but something... different. He whiped his head around, knowing that his still-flared bubble would negate most attempts to surprise anyone watching him. Of course, there was no one there. Just a blank wall. Byron turned his head back toward the road, looking around at what could have spooked him. He still felt uneasy, and he didn't think it was his social ineptitude this time. There was just that couple, the van, a few people on the other side of-

The van.

The van plowed into his cadmium bubble, and for a moment Byron thought it was running him over.

Ever since he had started keeping his cadmium active all the time, things that hit his bubble became deflected a lot more, as if the bubble pushed back stronger. The side effect was that the bubble pushed back on him as well, which was handy to alert him that a small object was entering his personal space.

A large object, like this van, merely sent Byron flying in the opposite direction. The van hit the bubble, jarring it and everything within backwards, and Byron was launched accross the sidewalk toward the wall. He had to shut his eyes as the whirling sky and street threatened to make him throw up. He felt more than saw the van ripping itself from the bubble, somewhat slowing his flight down. Then outer edge of the wall touched his bubble.

Byron's eyes snapped open. He didn't have time to think, only to react, but he was pretty good at reacting. He looked up at the wall, flipping over once, briefly flaring to steal those brief instants from impact, and flipped again, slamming his feet into the wall, collapsing his tightened leg muscles, reaching one hand to the wall to steady himself, the other hand instinctively reaching for the glass knive tied securely in his cloak. For that brief instant, he felt like the Lord Mistborn himself.

Then, of course, he dropped three feet and faceplanted on the sidewalk.

@bees? @Sorana @Silva @Rushu42

I'm letting Bees and the rest of you decide what happens to the van, but here's a little bit of specifics on what my bubble does. I'm assuming the van is driving left-to-right of where Byron, Eiran, and Althea are. (And I don't think the other two were in my bubble.)

Spoiler
  • As the van enters the bubble, the bubble pushes backwards, so the van and everything (sans aluminum) within will be jarred significantly toward the back of the van (not as spectacularly as Byron was, but enough to actually move or knock over an unsuspecting individual).
  • For ~5 seconds in the van, the speed of time is halved (~10 seconds pass outside my bubble).
  • For that same 5 seconds, anything made of aluminum will ignore the bubble, and therefore fly forward with the van's original movement and also generally move twice as fast as everything else.
  • After 5 seconds, another jarring from the bubble leaving will occur, this time forcing anything sans aluminum toward the left of the van. This jarring could knock the van off balance if added to by another push.

In the meantime, Byron will be slow-motion flying through the air, which may draw some attention to the watching spren and the others. Hopefully it's obvious to them this was mostly unintentional.

Elend, if you want Nuemark to join this merry misadventure, go ahead. I have no idea where in space everyone is to each other.

8 hours ago, mathiau said:

As Kingston started falling, NullBlade just got out the way and, before Kingston had the time to get back on his feet, put one foot on his back. "You didn't tell me anything true." he pull his shardblade out if back scabbard a little, slightly cutting his cape in the process. "And you better start now, and don't ever... don't ever talk about love that way again."

Kingston grunted. His position reminded him of his training, in the underground bunker on Scadrial that made up the Librarians Intending to Acquire Resources (Scadrial Chapter) headquarters. The outfit’s weapons master, Rook, had been fond of stepping on his back whenever they did push-ups. It built muscle, allegedly.

Or maybe he was reminded of the man because he was standing across the street, spying on them beneath a hooded cloak that failed to conceal his massive frame. He was scanning the crowd unashamedly now that Kingston was on the ground and out of sight.

“I would never lie to you, Nully,” Kingston said softly, difficult to hear over the ambient music and swirling conversations. “I would never lie to anyone.”

He tilted his head up to look forward, through the maze of shoes and skirts. It hurt his neck, but he was able to catch glimpses of the brick that made up the storefront across the way. Focusing, he channeled Smedry power into the glasses he wore, aiming at the building.

Stand firm. Stand still. Make the creator proud. A cheerful monologue entered his head. I am a wall. Being a wall is fun.

“This has all been an accidental misunderstanding, yet, you react like a man with secrets to hide…”

So many wiggling Persons. Their noises are so lovely. He pumped some more power into the Shamefiller’s lens. Oh no, I’m neglecting my duty. What would Roof think if it caught me People watching? Brickybrickbricks! I'm letting them all down. I’ve probably ruined the structural integrity of the entire building! This is so embarrassing, I could just-

Wally the Wall exploded, raining a small pile of rubble down on Rook. Several bystanders rushed to his aid, but with superhuman strength, he smashed aside the bricks to free himself. In a flash, he was sprinting, cloak flapping in the wind as he dove into the nearest alley and disappeared into the shadows, leaving a small crowd of confused onlookers. Shrugging, they promptly began looting the most easily grabbable of the store’s contents.

Kingston let out a sigh of relief. “You’re making the biggest scene around, Nullblade, how much more attention do you want to call to yourself?”

Someone flew over his head.

It was a party, of merriment, but that person didn't seem happy as they fell facefirst into the cobblestone of the sidewalk.

Nor did the van that person had crashed into.

Nor did the group walking towards the van.

Not many people looked happy, once he started noticing those things, but the people trying to be inconspicuous and serious-faced at the same time looked particularly unhappy.

These were not normal, there was an aura of danger about them. it was the aurea that most invested humans had, sure of their own deadlines, while also wary of others like them.

Something very important and dangerous was going to happen.

Perhaps if that had happened when he was less vulnerable...

No, he would not risk it.

He turned right on his tracks and ducked into an alleyway.

The dirty alleys, despite being safer than the thoroughfare he had just left, still prompted him to keep his hand close to his hoopak as he made his way to his newly instated shop.

Cassie started humming. This party, the sights and sounds and smells, and of course the good business all made her feel... alive. Like she was young again, back on Roshar or Scadrial instead of this strange new world. 

She heard shouts coming from over a wall. She shuddered slightly, stroking the metal in her arm. Strange new world indeed.

Oh well. I wasn’t her place to interfere with whatever a drunk fool had gotten himself into. She kept walking, tugging along her little cart of swords and dwindling candies. It was time to go shopping for a while. And after that... she had an idea. 

There was only so much that mere products and sales could do for publicity.

Someone pushed past Aln. She could see a yell out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see a large pile of rubble where a storefront had been, surrounded by people. She gasped and started to look around for the source, but at that moment Pel returned, speaking urgently into her mind. 

"He's been hit by a van" the spen said, not pausing for a greeting. "Or, well, he wasn't hit by it, but there was a van and then he was flying through the air in slow motion."

Is he hurt? Aln returned. 

"I don't know. Not badly, I think."

Still probably best to check it out. 

She returned her gaze briefly to Folorian and Crow. "I'm sorry to cut our conversation short, but something's come up. I might be back."

She paused to lightweave a message for Folorian - Ben could be hurt. Meet at the Guild later? - then sprinted off after her spren. She ducked through to crowd to find the young man lying face down on the street, his mask knocked askew. He wasn't moving - either that, or he was moving very slowly, she realized, spotting the characteristic shmmer of a cadmium bubble around him. Taking a deep breath, she entered it and crouched down. "Are you okay?"

@Ark1002 @mathiau @Ashbringer

I think bees should decide what happens to the Van. It's his character inside.

@bees?

===========

The bubble, the Van. She inwardly cursed herself for not seeing it earlier. The man had been burning cadmium for a while now, his bubble potentially large enough to enclose a part of the street. The same street the Van was going on. The allomancer wasn't looking up, completely focused on the card he was holding in his hands, not noticing the car that was nearing him, about to hit his bubble

"He's in his way." Althea stated and started to move, despite knowing that she was already too late. She was still rushing towards the man sitting on the ground when the Van hit the bubble, was jostled around, pushing the allomancer out of his way. It wasn't far, as the man had sat down close to where she and Eiran had been standing, and she only spared him a fleating glance. He appeared to be floating through the air, although she knew that for him time would pass at normal speed. One way or the other, jumping into the bubble now would only jostle him further instead of help him land on his feet.

He had no way to notice in time should the Van come his way again, not within his bubble still around him. And she she moved between him and the car in a protective stance. A slight feeling of satisfaction spread in her chest, when she realized that at least a part of her gut feeling had been right. She inhaled more stormlight, readied herself to soulcast either a protective structure in front of him, or to elsecall them all out of the way.

"He's on the ground." Brashen informed her and she gave a slight nod, not changing the way she was looking. As long as the Van was potentially dangerous she wouldn't turn her back to it. "Someone is checking on him."

She nodded again, speaking loud enough that whoever was behind might be able to hear her. "Tell me if they need help."

@Rushu42 @Ashbringer @Silva

18 hours ago, Archer said:

“I would never lie to you, Nully,” Kingston said softly, difficult to hear over the ambient music and swirling conversations. “I would never lie to anyone.”

He tilted his head up to look forward, through the maze of shoes and skirts. It hurt his neck, but he was able to catch glimpses of the brick that made up the storefront across the way. Focusing, he channeled Smedry power into the glasses he wore, aiming at the building.

“This has all been an accidental misunderstanding, yet, you react like a man with secrets to hide…”

Wally the Wall exploded, raining a small pile of rubble down on Rook. Several bystanders rushed to his aid, but with superhuman strength, he smashed aside the bricks to free himself. In a flash, he was sprinting, cloak flapping in the wind as he dove into the nearest alley and disappeared into the shadows, leaving a small crowd of confused onlookers. Shrugging, they promptly began looting the most easily grabbable of the store’s contents.

Kingston let out a sigh of relief. “You’re making the biggest scene around, Nullblade, how much more attention do you want to call to yourself?”

Calling someone out for having things to hide? He was definitely new to the Alleyverse. Also he wasn't looking toward him but toward...

Bang

A wall exploded, causing NullBlade to move backward in his surprise -and step down from Kingston.

He then fully drew his sword, and cut his cape of in the process.

"You're right, I have a secret: I hate it when people make walls explode while I'm talking to them."

12 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Someone pushed past Aln. She could see a yell out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see a large pile of rubble where a storefront had been, surrounded by people. She gasped and started to look around for the source, but at that moment Pel returned, speaking urgently into her mind.

She returned her gaze briefly to Folorian and Crow. "I'm sorry to cut our conversation short, but something's come up. I might be back."

She paused to lightweave a message for Folorian - Ben could be hurt. Meet at the Guild later? - then sprinted off after her spren. She ducked through to crowd to find the young man lying face down on the street, his mask knocked askew. He wasn't moving - either that, or he was moving very slowly, she realized, spotting the characteristic shmmer of a cadmium bubble around him. Taking a deep breath, she entered it and crouched down. "Are you okay?"

Folorian nodded slightly to Aln

We should check if she need help.

Yes, go and call me if she does.

As Kerr started following Aln, Folorian turned back to Crow

"Do you think they are to take care of this or should we go help them? Also, my name's Folorian."

@Ark1002

Edited by mathiau

John blinked as all of a sudden, everyone was either running somewhere, getting nocked around, or blowing stuff up.

He wanted to help, but there was little he could do, and people who were more qualified than him were already there.

He decided the best way thing he could do at that moment was to hang back and watch, and think, and remember.

As the celebrations of the night began to sound off in earnest, golden fireworks and resounding cheers competing over each other for sound, Max walked the streets.

“We’re going to stay around the main festival area. I don’t want you or Vivacia going anywhere outside of the lamplight. Especially not in any alleys. Clear?”

Reval, beside him, nodded solemnly. Max softened his gaze and smiled.

“Hey, the costume looks good.”

“Thanks,” Reval said, and quirked a grin. The teenager wore the classic Lonely God costume, the smooth, black mask tilting up to reveal his features. Elaborate, a stark contrast to Max’s own simple red masks and patterned scarf. “Yours too.”

“Ha ha. But the point still stands. If you or Vivacia get lost, we’ll meet over there, by the swords salesman. He seems unique enough to remember.”

“Got it.”

Max nodded and looked back to in front of him, unable to suppress the slight paranoia tugging at his mind. There was something different about the annual festival nowadays, now that he was a parent, with responsibilities. Now, every masked person wasn’t a crazy character, they were just a reminder that anything could happen out here, in total anonymity. Loud sounds, bright lights, and massive, masked crowds. If there was ever a perfect time of the year for crimes to take place, it was right now. A man could disappear on a night like this and never return.

Indeed, Max was sure more than a couple of his associates would be working tonight, getting assigned targets through hushed meetings in half-lit alleyways from whatever leadership operated the mysterious Ghostbloods. Max wasn’t high enough in the hierarchy to know things like that, and he hadn’t really sought out promotions since Reval and Vivacia.

He smiled, stopping at a small shop, looking to Reval. “Want anything to eat?”

She was wrong. Acting during those moments where things were happening was infinitely more important than any warning a person could provide. So too, he was useless. Because while his new acquaintance ran forward bravely towards the van, looking like she had a feeling she could save the day, Eiran Sullivan stood frozen.

There were a couple of reasons for it:

First, the better excuse in his mind, visions of coming danger clouded his mind. Pushing them away took more effort than he liked.

Second, he had no idea what he could do. He had no training in anything applicable. Calculating the amount of money required to be saved in order not to go bankrupt in the case of everything going wrong was of no use here. Nor was baking muffins. Like he'd said before, he'd be more hindrance than help.

On shaky legs he walked over to the man who had fallen from the impact. He slipped inside the bubble. It was a weird feeling, something the books hadn't quite gotten right. Someone else was already there, but Eiran felt better even pretending to do something.

"Is he conscious?" he asked her, looking at the figure. His medical knowledge was sparse and, like that of his knowledge of Allomancy, he was aware that it was not the most accurate at all times.

@Rushu42 @Ashbringer @Sorana