Sorana

I've decided to bring my other character, Python, into a masked dance as well.

Python strolled through the crowd, an ornamented blue mask covering it's face. With it's large trench coat and boots, it would be hard for anyone to notice it was made of rope. It heard a cry of - fear, pain? Python wasn't sure which. Those do signal harm, right? It thought. Protect people from harm. Python searched for the disturbance and saw a young child who had been knocked over. It made it's way over and picked her up. 

It will be okay, it sent. The child stopped crying. Python thought of another child, in another time, that it  had held in his arms. That one had been dead. Stop, it thought. This one is alive. You cannot protect memory.

"Vivi!" A woman with tears in her eyes ran over. "We've been looking all over for you." She turned to Python. "Thank you." She said, then gasped as she saw it's eyes. The woman held the child as she ran away. Python would have sighed if It could.

Anyone is welcome to interact with Python. 

Edited by Kings_way
New page!

On 9.8.2020 at 1:31 AM, Kings_way said:

"Vivi!" A woman with tears in her eyes ran over. "We've been looking all over for you." She turned to Python. "Thank you." She said, then gasped as she saw it's eyes. The woman held the child as she ran away. Python would have sighed if It could.

For a short moment I thought you were refering to my character Vivi. (who is a child and in this thread).

Most characters are in jazz bar - so maybe Python could go there?

===========

On 8.8.2020 at 11:23 PM, Ashbringer said:

What he'd done?

Tyrian had done a lot of things. Especially near the van.

The... building? He'd been getting away. He'd been... running.

Falling...

Don't think about that now, something said. Cinder? The... no. Just a voice in his mind?

Tyrian looked - his hand was smoking slightly. He moved the Stormlight he'd somehow inhaled back into his gems, took a large gulp of his red, then set it roughly down on the counter. The bartender filled it again. He gave a side look, saw Silas was disinterested, then glanced at Althea. She was... tense?

"I... fell. Then I landed," Tyrian said. "You followed. I had landed, and you followed..."

Never alone. Tyrian sighed.

"The battle is done. Did you lose?"

And he turned and took a sip of his wine.

"I think we all lost." Althea replied calmly. "This was a fight with no winners." She inhaled and exhaled again, buying herself some time to think about her next words. "Of course I followed." she said after a while, "I tried to find out what was going on, why you freed the prisoner." With a slight shurg she waved any possible answer away. "You were paid - that's alright, I can live with that."

At least being paid to break someone out was different than having fun destroying things. She suppressed the urge to frown, knew that she wasn't acting or thinking neutral anymore, that she had been looking for too many connections and even more important: she didn't want another fight. Not here, not now and certainly not in the middle of so many uninvolved, drunk people who had no idea what was going on.

Shaking her head she made a vague gesture with her left hand, the right still holding her glass of wine. "I was refering to the building." she clarified her earlier question. "Was it an accident that you set it on fire or did you use the innocent people living there as a way to distract us, to divert our attention elsewhere?"

Edited by Sorana

On 8/10/2020 at 0:36 AM, Sorana said:

Shaking her head she made a vague gesture with her left hand, the right still holding her glass of wine. "I was refering to the building." she clarified her earlier question. "Was it an accident that you set it on fire or did you use the innocent people living there as a way to distract us, to divert our attention elsewhere?"

That.

He'd fallen, burned a hole through the building. That had been a... side affect. Accident.

But after...

"I... fell. Hit the building. Burned through the roof, the floors, before I could crash into them. They brought dust. Some fire. Mostly dust."

Tyrian paused.

"And then I added more dust. More fire. To stop the fight. Stop the falling. Stop you."

He turned and glanced at Althea. She still seemed tense. And a thought, a rare thought, came to him.

"You don't like fire, do you?"

And he took another sip of his wine.

Spoiler

Tyrian didn't intentionally use the civilians as a diversion, he was more using the building itself as a diversion, hoping you wouldn't follow through the fire or would stop to put out the flames. The people inside are almost irrelevant to him. Although that answer probably wouldn't change anyone's reaction.

Edit: @Sorana just in case, and @bees? because I think this might get messy.

Edited by Ashbringer
tags

Mari stood closer to the bar, drinking something light while watching the conversation. She hadn't met the Dustbringer herself, but based on Althea's conversation she was quite sure that was the person they were looking for. He also seemed completely unhinged. Silently she started moving through the room, trying to look like a normal customer. If trouble broke out she figured she'd want to be somewhere behind him, to shoot him in the back. He was a Radiant anyway, he'd heal.

9 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

"You don't like fire, do you?"

You don't like fire. Althea took another sip of her wine to cover up the whirlwind that rose inside of her chest at these words. So he'd noticed. Of course he had. Despite the place he had been in, he had to have been to miss her freaking out. It was about fire, but it was also about something else, about the desperation. About the helplessness of watching, unable to do something. About the complete loss of control.

Deliberatetly she set her glass down when she noticed her grip being a little too strong. Somehow it all came down to Sephtis, to him and to Max. To the burning City of Oasis, to the blood that had been shed there after Max lost control. To the underground headquarters where Sephtis had manipulated her mind, to the planets he had destroyed, to the burning city where they had faced them down. To the woman they had used as bait.

"I used to fire." she disagreed quietly. "I loved to sit in front of a hearth and watch it burn. I loved to light candles when taking a bath." She had loved these things. Not that she did them anymore. It was better, but better was far from good.

Her eyes left his face, but never quite his figure and she itched to touch him, to feel his cloths under her fingertips. To see if he was real or not, to make sure he was really there.

"I told you back in the Van." she forced herself to lift her eyes. "I never wanted to hurt you. I only wanted to know what was going on." Suddenly she felt tired, tired of all this dancing around, of all these words. If she had simply turned him into a statue none of this would have happened. The building would be intact and well, its inhabitants alive and she would have celebrated this night together with Max.

He had used the building as a diversion to get away, obviously hadn't considered the damage he had done. Mari edged towards his back and Althea was relieved to see her, relieved that she wasn't alone.

"Why do you ask?" she question him instead, deciding to buy Mari more time. Max. It seemed as if he had been right after all.

@kenod

22 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Why do you ask?" she question him instead, deciding to buy Mari more time. Max. It seemed as if he had been right after all.

Tyrian nodded. "You keep talking. About fire. But not... about fire... around fire."

Tyrian was staring at Althea now. He was fairly certain she did not like fire. Something... wasn't right. He couldn't tell what, but it wasn't just Althea's reaction, her eyes flicking around.

Her eyes... they looked strange. No, not strange. More familiar, when the world was strange.

He looked at his wine glass again - his ruby eye. It was almost identical - not faceted, but ruby all the same.

"Your eyes... they're like mine," he mumbled.

Silas was still sitting and watching, as far as Tyrian saw.

Tyrian kept his eye on Althea. 

Was she...

@Sorana @bees?

37 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

"Your eyes... they're like mine," he mumbled.

She smiled at that, wondered why he hadn't noticed earlier. Usually it was the first thing people noticed before they turned away. White hair, red eyes. It was so easy and yet so complicated. Easy to discard someone when their appearance didn't fit. Brashen sat on her shoulder and she chould hear him hum a few notes into her ear, as if he knew the way her thoughts travelled, distracted her, anchored her in a way only he managed so quick and easily.

"They are I suppose." she agreed quietly, "I've never met anyone with eyes like mine before." He was staring at her, his eyes seemed to bore into her, trying to look behind her facade. "It makes we wonder where you got yours, where you are from."

She considered her next words carefully, unsure if they were a mistake or not, if there was any other way. "And you are right. I don't like fire anymore." her voice shook a little at the admission, barely hearable but undeniable here, and she felt raw, far too open in front of a stranger. "Guess, I watched too many cities burn to the ground." she tried to act non-chalantly. "This one, Oasis -" she stopped unable to go on to speak the other names aloud and instead made a gesture with her hand to indicate that the list was longer.

Meeting his eyes directly she looked at him. "Will you burn this city down, nameless one?" she asked, her voice once again sure and hard. "Will you call fire to burn it all to the ground?"

I most likely won't be able to post again before sunday/ monday, I'm gone the weekend.

Gethen noticed Mari moving around to behind the dustbringer. Finally, he thought. Someone was doing something. Gethen had always despised the games people had played, back in Scadrial. He preferred shooting to talking. Talking hadn't helped save Dendor. Maybe if he had been quicker with his gun, if he had tapped a little more luck... 

Stop, he thought. Just help apprehend this criminal, and you can keep looking for Dendor's murderer. He started moving over, to get in a position to help in case things got messy. Althea and Mari could hopefully take care of the dustbringer. Gethen was worried about the other man at the table. Hadn't the others said something about a prisoner? He decided to watch the man carefully.

23 hours ago, Sorana said:

"They are I suppose." she agreed quietly, "I've never met anyone with eyes like mine before." He was staring at her, his eyes seemed to bore into her, trying to look behind her facade. "It makes we wonder where you got yours, where you are from."

She considered her next words carefully, unsure if they were a mistake or not, if there was any other way. "And you are right. I don't like fire anymore." her voice shook a little at the admission, barely hearable but undeniable here, and she felt raw, far too open in front of a stranger. "Guess, I watched too many cities burn to the ground." she tried to act non-chalantly. "This one, Oasis -" she stopped unable to go on to speak the other names aloud and instead made a gesture with her hand to indicate that the list was longer.

Meeting his eyes directly she looked at him. "Will you burn this city down, nameless one?" she asked, her voice once again sure and hard. "Will you call fire to burn it all to the ground?"

"Just one eye for me. I lost it in... battle," Tyrian replied, trying to process her statements one at a time. "It's a stone. Dead stone. Yours... are alive?"

Tyrian hadn't met many blind people. Warriors rarely continued to fight with lost eyes. But this Althea didn't seem like she was one of those blind shamans.

Burn a city?

"Hmm."

What would be the point?

It would attract... attention. Skybreakers, resounded the voice. But it seemed more distant. And for once, Cinder's voice came to counter it. "No. It's wrong. The people in this city are not evil. Not yet."

"Hmmmmm... no. I don't want to bring this city dust."

Why? said the voice.

"Why?" Tyrian echoed.

"My eyes, are my eyes." she shrugged slightly, "they were always red, I was born with them like this. Over the time, with enough soulcasting they changed. Turned a deeper red and their shape changed from something ball-like to this." her hand gestured towards her eyes. "I can see with them yes, ever since I bonded my spren I started to be able to see more than vague shapes until today. There are some" she hesitated, unsure how to phrase it without revealing her weakness to light, the way she immediatly was blinded by a little sunlight outside, "downsides. But I can see."

His next question made her pause again. Wasn't it quite obvious? But then there maybe were a lot of people who supported those who destroyed.

"Because I dislike people who try to do that." she replied calmly. "Because I'd prefer to find a solution to this mess, that everybody can work with. And you not lighting this city on fire is a central part of the reason why I am here."

She suppressed a sigh, remembered how easily he had sacrificed the building for his own gain. Maybe this wasn't worth it. Maybe she should simply hand him over to the skybreaker as he earned.

"Are you alright?" she asked instead. "You seem to be a little... unhinged."

@Ashbringer

Edited by Sorana

23 hours ago, Sorana said:

"My eyes, are my eyes." she shrugged slightly, "they were always red, I was born with them like this. Over the time, with enough soulcasting they changed. Turned a deeper red and their shape changed from something ball-like to this." her hand gestured towards her eyes. "I can see with them yes, ever since I bonded my spren I started to be able to see more than vague shapes until today. There are some" she hesitated, unsure how to phrase it without revealing her weakness to light, the way she immediatly was blinded by a little sunlight outside, "downsides. But I can see."

His next question made her pause again. Wasn't it quite obvious? But then there maybe were a lot of people who supported those who destroyed.

"Because I dislike people who try to do that." she replied calmly. "Because I'd prefer to find a solution to this mess, that everybody can work with. And you not lighting this city on fire is a central part of the reason why I am here."

She suppressed a sigh, remembered how easily he had sacrificed the building for his own gain. Maybe this wasn't worth it. Maybe she should simply hand him over to the skybreaker as he earned.

"Are you alright?" she asked instead. "You seem to be a little... unhinged."

@Ashbringer

“My eyes are... not, my eyes. Changed somehow.”

It was Tyrian’s turn to be surprised. Althea didn’t like the destruction, she liked... not-destruction. He didn’t know what to make of that. He knew Cinder had mentioned something, perhaps, about it, but the ashspren still seemed afraid or angry at him for some reason.

”I have no reason to burn this city. I had - have - hope it could be different. Not city... something else. Something to not-burn.”

But it was different, in a way he couldn’t quite describe. He’d never had to describe it before, it was just... city.

Unhinged? Hinges?

“I am... not. Not what I was, long ago. I am not what I am.”

”But I will-“

Something irked him. He couldn’t tell what. A glance, a shift in the air, an instinct, an impulse. But suddenly Tyrian turned around, scanning the crowd.

Something was... not.

@Sorana @bees? @Kings_way @kenod @BringerOfLight

He probably won’t notice anything amiss for a while, but let’s see how this shakes things up.

BringerOfLight hasn’t visited the Shard in a while, so I don’t know Brin’s status, but Tyrian will attack him if he gets the opprotunity.

37 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

He probably won’t notice anything amiss for a while, but let’s see how this shakes things up.

Althea is a very peace liking character. It's highly out of character for her to start the fight, she prefers to solve situations by talking to people. And so far, Tyrian hasn't given her enough reason to start a fight - she doesn't really care about official laws, as long as he doesn't plan to destroy the city she doesn't really have a large issue with him.

==========

He turned and she followed his gaze over to the crowd, made sure her eyes didn't stop on those that had accompanied her to this place. She was nearly grateful for his momentarily distraction as it offered her some time to think about his words. They were erratic, nothing new here, but also worrying. He wasn't the same - something had happened, something to leave him like that, broken. And while they all were, if was different with him. She'd never met a Radiant that erratic, jumping around like that, nearly unable to form a full sentence. Especially not a Dustbringer whose order was also focused on discipline and control.

He had first talked about the city, but then changed, changed to something else. Something he didn't need to burn. She drank another sip of wine, forced herself to remain calm, unsure how he would react if he noticed her frustration. She didn't know enough. She might be able to help, but she had nothing to go off, at least not enough to be sure what she did wouldn't cause more harm than it did good.

"You can create something you don't need to burn." she stated calmly, focused on that instead of something else. We all change, but if you want to, this city offers you a chance to create something new, a place you can stay." cautious words, but the only thing she could come up with right now. "If you want to, I can help you, maybe show you around, introduce you to others, if you need some assistance I can't offer."

• 1 month later...

Silas stood up, waving his hand around in a dramatic flourish. "Time to get going, my friend. We've more important things to do than waste time with petty talks of peace. As I said before, I have things to show you. Important things.
@Ashbringer
~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Arkaitz stood up and stretched, picking his hat up off of the counter and flipping it onto his head at a perfect angle. Tonight, his skin was a deep blue with intricate gold patterns flowing and twisting throughout and his long hair was a perfect gold to match. A deep charcoal gray suit and matching hat finished off the ensemble, as he had ditched his mask earlier so as to better show off his skin. As he walked away without paying his drink, the bartender started to speak, raising his voice to call for security.

"I don't think it'd go over so well if you tried to arrest your boss, darling," Arkaitz said before the man could utter a single word. "Now, be a dear and clean that mess up. I've got business to attend to."

11 hours ago, bees? said:

Silas stood up, waving his hand around in a dramatic flourish. "Time to get going, my friend. We've more important things to do than waste time with petty talks of peace. As I said before, I have things to show you. Important things.
@Ashbringer

Tyrian shook himself.

Something had... bugged him. He couldn't tell what.

Cinder finally flew out from his coat. "I'm not sure either. I'll go look," the spren said, zipping out into the crowd. The Dustbringer finally turned back towards his new... employer.

Show him? What would he need to show him? He already knew his strength. What else was there?

He picked up a ruby sphere he'd left on the counter, watching Althea from the corner of his remaining eye. Then he walked over to Silas, hands held in limp curls like the sickles on his back. Cinder soon followed.

"Then let's go."

@Sorana

Gethen gasped as the Dustbringer stood up. Rusts, he's tall! He thought as he moved closer. He filled his chromium mind slightly - he expected he would need it soon- which caused him to squash a few toes. He finally made his way to Althea.

"Should we follow?" He asked, fingering the barrel of his gun. 

2 hours ago, Kings_way said:

Gethen gasped as the Dustbringer stood up. Rusts, he's tall! He thought as he moved closer. He filled his chromium mind slightly - he expected he would need it soon- which caused him to squash a few toes. He finally made his way to Althea.

"Should we follow?" He asked, fingering the barrel of his gun. 

"I don't know." she replied honestly, gesturing to Brashen to follow the Dustbringer for now. "He never wanted to hurt all the innocents, that happened on pure accident." She hesitated turned the situation around in her head. "I don't know." she repeated after a while, took another sip of her wine to buy herself another few seconds to think, to come up with something.

Stop him, provoke a fight. "We can't start a fight here, not in this bar. Maybe follow them, try to find out what they are planning and then, then - but not here." she shook her head, her left hand gesturing towards all the bystanders around them. "We can't risk their lives easily. I don't think that we should."

So it was following them. Sneaking around. Something tightened in her chest at the thought, a memory, failures and things she was trying to avoid. "Do you have a way to track them?" she added quietly, her voice nearly unhearable over the music of the bar. For now she had Brashen, but if they had to follow them longer, something more practical would probably be good.

@Ashbringer

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, ZincAboutIt said:

"Truths and superstition," Lita said, looking back at Laurelai and smiling again. A colder, sharper smile this time. "Elusive things to chase. More often than not, they have a way of finding you instead, do they not?"

The accelerating beat of her own heartbeat thrummed in Laurelai's ears as her features moved with an iron will to stillness instead of the slack jawed expression that was in her heart, the stillness itself was  so firm as to be unnatural a non-reaction so patently clear that even someone far less subtle than she would note it as some sort of cover for her true feelings. But what else was she to do? She had no confidence that she'd be able to force a façade that would be even passably convincing in light of Lita's answer.

"That they do." Laurelai said, mouth moving instinctively to buy her more time to think. "Many a great mind has wrestled and struggled with a problem at length only to almost give up when the answer simply lands in their lap. Epiphanies are curious things, whispers of divinity perhaps? Or just our subconscious minds working on tasks more effectively than we can when trying to rationalize everything."

She took a slow sip of wine, nearly draining the glass as she tried to wet her suddenly parched throat. Had Lita meant that in the way that it sounded? Or was that simply Laurelai's own preferences showing up and leading her to that assumption. Certainly the other woman had enough subtlety about her that she could have been implying half a dozen things with that sentence, but how many of them could Laurelai have been able to interpret? Or could she have meant her comment inversely, was Laurelai the seeker or the one who was sought?

"Dangerous as well." She continued, her breathing and demeanor calming as she thought through her response. "The truth that is, and superstitions as well. What was that saying? 'Ignorance is bliss?'. That one always seemed a little strange to me, but an academic is not exactly the time to choose blissful ignorance over knowledge, dangerous as it may be."

Laurelai kept a small amused smile at her lips, that of a young woman enjoying a game of words. But the light in her eyes still pulsed with intensity as she watched Lita. Not measuring her anymore, simply waiting to see her answer.

"Not that I find myself in too many dangerous situations myself as of late." She said, giving a short humorless chuckle into the bottom of her glass. "But how about you? When you're not enjoying the fine drink and company in an establishment such as this, do you prefer the safety and bliss of ignorance? Or the danger and thrill of knowledge?"

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 4:37 AM, Voidus said:

"Not that I find myself in too many dangerous situations myself as of late." She said, giving a short humorless chuckle into the bottom of her glass. "But how about you? When you're not enjoying the fine drink and company in an establishment such as this, do you prefer the safety and bliss of ignorance? Or the danger and thrill of knowledge?"

Yes, Lita thought, reaching into the sleeve of her dress and removing a thin silver case. Yes, I think she will do quite nicely.

"Is ignorance bliss?" she said, removing a slender cigarette and lighting the tip with a pinch of her fingers, pushing some of her residual heat stores into her fingertips and hiding a wince. With her tin on, it hurt more than usual, but it was worth it for the effect. Exchanges like this were all about posturing in one way or another. "Perhaps. But I will counter your cliche with another. Knowledge is power."

Lita sucked in a breath of smoke, feeling the burn in the back of her throat, the delightful pain of it. She let it curl out of her mouth for a moment before continuing. "They say that the Lord Mistborn was a Tineye before the Catacendre. I always liked that, growing up. Made a little nobody like me feel a bit more special. But you know, for just a little while - before Harmony remade him - he was something else. Something that should not have been able to exist. He could burn tin and pewter. Two metals. He broke the rules."

She watched the smoke twist in the air, watching the patterns collide and divide, remaking themselves after clashing together. "Enough power lets you break all kinds of rules, Laurelai. Break them, rewrite them, undo them." Lita reached up to her headpiece and ran her fingers along the slender golden spires before finding the one that she had specially made, plucking it out and holding it before her eyes. Its tip was filed to a point so slender it was barely visible, a terribly beautiful and dangerous little thing. She twirled it between her fingers idly, spinning it through the smoke.

"What do I do when I'm not enjoying fine wine? I watch. I listen. You could say that I'm a collector, of sorts. A collector of secrets. Enough of those, and you can find anyone's pressure point. And if I collect a few more things besides... well. That's just a perk of the job."

Lita smiled a slender smile and took another pull on her cigarette, watching Laurelai's eyes grow brighter and brighter with curiosity and excitement. "But there I go, talking about myself again. What I'd like to know now, Laurelai, is what you want. Do you want bliss?" She set the slender spike down on the table, point facing away from either of them, metal glinting in the dim light. "Or do you want everything else?"  

On 04/12/2020 at 2:04 PM, ZincAboutIt said:

Lita smiled a slender smile and took another pull on her cigarette, watching Laurelai's eyes grow brighter and brighter with curiosity and excitement. "But there I go, talking about myself again. What I'd like to know now, Laurelai, is what you want. Do you want bliss?" She set the slender spike down on the table, point facing away from either of them, metal glinting in the dim light. "Or do you want everything else?"  

Laurelai felt her gaze pulled to the metallic point, eager to examine it. It took a good deal of willpower and much of her experience at controlling her expression to resist the temptation but as she watched the amused and knowing smile of Lita, Laurelai realised that the conversation had now reached its tipping point. She'd prepared her Mark as best she could and now it was time to take the last leap and apply it, or retreat and try again another day. But there would not be another chance like this, especially not if this was all as she assumed it to be.

"I'd like to think myself above settling for a simple, blissful existence." Laurelai said, returning Litas smile.

Matching her gaze with Lita she reached out for the golden pin on the table, finding herself both curious about it and somehow comforted. It was a doorway to something new, but somehow it also felt like returning home to where she was always meant to be.

"If we're to continue with adages then there's perhaps one more that is appropriate." Laurelai said, her painted red lips were still pulled into a smile but a glance at her eyes could see the surge of determination had pushed her beyond the conversations earlier casual banter into something more serious.

"'There's always a price'" Laurelai quoted "I can't say that I know what it would be exactly but some things are worth any price."

With that her smile slowly faded and she at last gave Lita an entirely honest glimpse of herself, the keen probing glance that asked for confirmation, the quirked eyebrow that asked if she had passed this test, if a test it was, and a stubbornly set posture of acceptance that she had done what she could for now and could only await a response.

With that she raised her glass and drained the last of it, setting it back down and off to one side.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ookla the Grammatical said:

This looks cool. May I join? I have a character who needs somewhere to go.

You'll need to get them approved in the Alleyverse Characters thread first, then yes!

1 minute ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

It... died.

Everything's pretty inactive at the moment. And that conversation in particular has been going on slowly for months. There's a semi-active interaction between my character and Ashbringer's in Mac's Boardinghouse, if you want to join in with something, but I don't know if it's going to go anywhere. We're stalled because the person running the main plot went inactive, and the rest of us don't really know how to proceed. You might be able to reawaken something, though, if you care to try.