AfjalKhan

Secret History Question (spoiler for Oathbringer)?

Question

Just finished Mistborn Secret History and it eye opening! I do have a question though. When Kelsier encounters Hoid in the Well of Ascension, he notices that Hoid's eyes are glowing. My first thought was that Hoid was using stormlight for something during their battle. But after review of when the books are supposed to take place, the first Mistborn trilogy is set before Oathbringer. Since we see Hoid gain a Spren in Oathbringer I assumed that he did not have access to that investiture prior to that time. So my question is: Why were Hoid's eyes glowing? 

10 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, AfjalKhan said:

Just finished Mistborn Secret History and it eye opening! I do have a question though. When Kelsier encounters Hoid in the Well of Ascension, he notices that Hoid's eyes are glowing. My first thought was that Hoid was using stormlight for something during their battle. But after review of when the books are supposed to take place, the first Mistborn trilogy is set before Oathbringer. Since we see Hoid gain a Spren in Oathbringer I assumed that he did not have access to that investiture prior to that time. So my question is: Why were Hoid's eyes glowing? 

I feel like it has something to do with his inability to hurt anyone.

no evidence though.

I don't think we have a specific answer to that yet, but for what its worth, Hoid would have access to several sources fo investiture from other worlds, possibly including alternate ways to ingest stormlight, and any of those could be the culprit.  bear in mind that the cognitive realm has different rules than the physical too, so eyes glowing in the CR may have a completely different source than a similar effect in teh physical realm would.

Hoid has access lot of Investiture arts, many from the time of Adonalsium. The glowing eyes could be a result of any one or several or all of them. Perhaps anyone with that much Investiture has tells, Hoid is good at hiding those but even he might slip up from time to time.

Tinfoil theory:  Dragons have pupils rimmed in a silvery metallic substance (presumably "dragonsteel").  Metals glow in the Scadrian Cognitive Realm.  Ergo: Hoid is a Dragon.  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Tinfoil theory:  Dragons have pupils rimmed in a silvery metallic substance (presumably "dragonsteel").  Metals glow in the Scadrian Cognitive Realm.  Ergo: Hoid is a Dragon.  

Hmm... I don't think he'd have insulted Frost as an "old reptile" if he himself was also one

Edited by R J

1 hour ago, R J said:

Hmm... I don't think he'd have insulted Frost as an "old reptile" if he himself was also one

might not be an insult....just accurate

4 hours ago, Quantus said:

I don't know why, but I feel like I would be disappointed by this.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, R J said:

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

might not be an insult....just accurate

I mean, I think Frost is literally the only person alive that can be considered "old" relative to Hoid

(I dont actually believe that Hoid is a dragon, personally.  But I would generally expect the metallic eyes we saw on Frost to glow like that where he to be in scadrial's cognitive realm)

Edited by Quantus

Hoid is/was human, though he's done so many things over the years now that he's not quite human any more.

Axies (paraphrased)

Is Hoid human?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes... but. Hoid is... you can say that he is still human, but his DNA have changed. Now he is human but you wouldn't call him Homo sapiens anymore. It happens something similar with the Steel Inquisitors

Barcelona signing (Nov. 3, 2016)

2 hours ago, RShara said:

Hoid is/was human, though he's done so many things over the years now that he's not quite human any more.

Im guessing Lift probably falls into that category now too.