When can one jump into 17th shard and other Cosmere stuff?

10 minutes ago, crankspuls6 said:

Finished Mistborn era 1, Warbreaker, and Stormlight.. planning to move onto Mistborn era 2 and Elantris.. when can one move into deeper Cosmere resources like Secret History and Wikis? I am an impatient person.

I would say, that even now, it's up to you!;)

Though Brandon recommends reading it after era 2, you can read Secret History after finishing Elantris.

I'd recommend not getting Secret History separately, instead simply go for the Arcanum Unbounded collection. Read that after Elantris, then move on to era 2. Era 2 can be a bit jarring as it's nothing like era 1, this should smooth the transition

(My opinion) I would definitely NOT read "Secret History" before reading Mistborn Era 2, Bands of Mourning. At least, I would not want to have deprived myself of the insanely intense reaction I had to doing it in that sequence (trying hard to avoid any spoilers here).

To me, this is a no-brainer - when Brandon himself waited till after Bands of Mourning was published, and said he had been waiting 10 years to share what's in "Secret History," at that point, I would follow the author's lead there.

But, you probably can read the rest of Arcanum Unbounded right away without spoiling too much for yourself.

If you don't mind spoilers, you can read pretty much anything. Personally I detest spoilers, but not everyone is like me.

Maybe think about it this way: If you had just started reading Way of Kings, and someone told you what happened at the Battle of the Tower, how would you have felt? Would it have lowered your enjoyment in reading the book? If so, maybe use this as an opportunity to gain a little patience ... or to read a lot really fast.:D

Hope this helps!

Edited by old aggie

Welcome to the Shard!

As mentioned, you're in a good place to start wading into the Shard and the Coppermind because you've read most of the big stuff that you could get inadvertently spoiled on... except Secret History anyways. Like @R J said, you can read that now, though Brandon recommends doing it in publication order and it was released alongside Bands of Mourning. It's up to you and it's not going to spoil anything in Era 2 that you really want to be blind on going in but reading it beforehand will take some of the oomph out of something that happens in that book.

Oh, on Arcanum Unbounded, don't read the short story The Hope of Elantris before you've read the novel it's based on; the intro to the short story gives away details of the novel's ending. Secret History's up to you whether you read it before Era 2 or after, everything else in Arcanum Unbounded you could read right now. Khriss' essays in the collection are a great way to start wading into the deeper Cosmere stuff. :D

Edited by Weltall

It really depends how you want to discover things.  Do you want to know what is going on behind the scenes as you read things or do you want to realize what everything was after you read it from a different perspective?  You are good to go as is really.  You don't even seriously need to read Elantris before starting the arcanum unbounded collection.  That being said most sharders think you should read Elantris before secret history.