Can you put two soul stamps on one object?

Like the title says, I was curious if it’s possible to soulstamp something twice. If so, can you change it completely, or add some small difference? It’s been a while since I’ve read The Emporer’s Soul, so I hoped someone could help me out!

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

:mellow:
*opens mouth, and then closes it. Looks down, contemplating for a moment.*

Well, the original thought I had was that you soul stamp some shoes and turn them into boots. Then you soulstamp them again to add spikes on the soles, so they’re climbing boots. I guess it would be easier to just make a new soulstamp and change the whole thing into climbing boots, replacing the first stamp.

... this makes more sense. 

13 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Yah Karger's method makes sense, but in the theoretical I think not. Investure resits investure and all that.

And I think, that this is the exact problem any Forger has.

Shai started with different stamps on each trait, memory, etc. she wanted the emperor to have, and in the end, she had to combine those into only one stamp that needs to be applied.

I see where you are coming from, but i don't think it will work

1 hour ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Yah Karger's method makes sense, but in the theoretical I think not. Investure resits investure and all that.

1 hour ago, spaidapig said:

And I think, that this is the exact problem any Forger has.

Shai started with different stamps on each trait, memory, etc. she wanted the emperor to have, and in the end, she had to combine those into only one stamp that needs to be applied.

I see where you are coming from, but i don't think it will work

Ok, thank you for the feedback!

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this specifically answers your question, but at some point during the emperor's soul, shai soulstamps a wall to add a mural. to do so multiple stamps are used, the first two describing how it would have been made, and the final actually changing the wall.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Njvodin said:

lmao what if you soul stamped an object(which already has a soul stamp) to get rid of the original soul stamp

There's a much easier way to do that: Pry off the first stamp. The things are more resistant to damage than they look like they should be but they can be removed with force, as Shai demonstrates very early in the story with a hammer and chisel.

Didn't the Emperor need multiple Soul Stamps? One for the Resealing(repair of his physical body) and one for his mind(Shai's stamp)? If that's the case, that's the use case for multiple stamps. Shai was extremely adept at Soul Forgery but even she didn't have knowledge in every area. Someone/something might need multiple stamps from various experts to achieve the desired effects. It wouldn't be necessary for mundane things but something like restoring a gravely injured, brain dead individual to his former self took two experts. 

The one thing I'm not sure of is how long the Resealing stamp needed to be applied before the effects were permanent like Shai suggested might happen with the Emperor's mind.

2 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

Didn't the Emperor need multiple Soul Stamps? One for the Resealing(repair of his physical body) and one for his mind(Shai's stamp)? If that's the case, that's the use case for multiple stamps. Shai was extremely adept at Soul Forgery but even she didn't have knowledge in every area. Someone/something might need multiple stamps from various experts to achieve the desired effects. It wouldn't be necessary for mundane things but something like restoring a gravely injured, brain dead individual to his former self took two experts. 

The one thing I'm not sure of is how long the Resealing stamp needed to be applied before the effects were permanent like Shai suggested might happen with the Emperor's mind.

Resealing is a one and done as far as I know, just like how

SA

Spoiler

A full lashing is temporary, but a healed arm will stay.

12 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

He did indeed need multiple Soul Stamps. But they were all but on metalplate and that metalplate was connected, not physically but spiritually, to the Stamp that was used on him in the end.

So you can combine different Stamps and stampeffects, you only need the right tools to do it.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:30 PM, Frustration said:

Resealing is a one and done as far as I know, just like how

SA

Reveal hidden contents

A full lashing is temporary, but a healed arm will stay.

On 9/17/2020 at 3:42 AM, spaidapig said:

He did indeed need multiple Soul Stamps. But they were all but on metalplate and that metalplate was connected, not physically but spiritually, to the Stamp that was used on him in the end.

So you can combine different Stamps and stampeffects, you only need the right tools to do it.

Ok I re-read Emperor's Soul and figured out the answer. Yes, Resealing can require you apply a stamp to yourself every day. Shai mentions this as part of her final Essence Mark, the one that makes her forget Soul Forgery and would turn her into an ordinary person. She specifically says that part of the Forgery is the belief that she had a terrible accident and had to use a Resealer to fix her body. She would believe the stamp that makes her forget her previous life is the one that keeps her body whole. 

As for the part where they were all on a metal plate, that is only referring to the stamp Shai makes. Kinda similar to how an anthology is a book that contains a bunch of individual stories, an Essence Mark(a Soul Stamp which rewrites a persons soul in a significant way) is a collection of individual stamps collected onto a metal plate that is tied to the Soul Stamp. The story never mentions or even implies that Shai combined her stamp with the Resealing one, so the logical assumption is that the stamp that maintains the Emperor's body is separate from the one Shai made for his mind. Now, another Forger could likely combine the two so it doesn't need to be that way. However, it's unlikely we'll be revisiting the Emperor any time soon if at all, so we're probably not going to get an answer to something as miniscule as that.  

44 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

Ok I re-read Emperor's Soul and figured out the answer. Yes, Resealing can require you apply a stamp to yourself every day. Shai mentions this as part of her final Essence Mark, the one that makes her forget Soul Forgery and would turn her into an ordinary person. She specifically says that part of the Forgery is the belief that she had a terrible accident and had to use a Resealer to fix her body. She would believe the stamp that makes her forget her previous life is the one that keeps her body whole. 

As for the part where they were all on a metal plate, that is only referring to the stamp Shai makes. Kinda similar to how an anthology is a book that contains a bunch of individual stories, an Essence Mark(a Soul Stamp which rewrites a persons soul in a significant way) is a collection of individual stamps collected onto a metal plate that is tied to the Soul Stamp. The story never mentions or even implies that Shai combined her stamp with the Resealing one, so the logical assumption is that the stamp that maintains the Emperor's body is separate from the one Shai made for his mind. Now, another Forger could likely combine the two so it doesn't need to be that way. However, it's unlikely we'll be revisiting the Emperor any time soon if at all, so we're probably not going to get an answer to something as miniscule as that.  

No reason that couldn't be an excuse to apply the stamp every day, she would forget after all.

• 3 months later...