Favourite Warbreaker PoV Character

Honorless

Favourite Warbreaker PoV character  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Of the four narrating characters in Warbreaker, who's your favourite?

Narrating characters, so no Nightblood or Denth votes!

(Also Nightblood would totally win)

Mine goes to Vivenna. I loved her heel faced turn. Siri had a strong beginning,  but stuff stopped happening in her chapters. Lightsong actively tried to make sure stuff didn't happen in his chapters, which was kind of fun, but I found myself skipping his chapters upon rereads. Vasher was fascinating and grumpy but I don't think we saw enough from his point-of-view to really feel as close to him as we did with the other three.

Edited by R J

Personally, I enjoyed Lightsong's chapters the most.

I love his character and can kind of relate to him myself. Simply the way he handles the things are amazing.

Vivenna was the hardest to read for me. The naivety of her sometimes made me cringe.

Vasher was awesome but he didn't have the touch Lightsong had.

definitely lightsong for me, especially his chapters near the end of the book, which are a 1-2 punhc with one of my favorite tropes, but even before that too, he would probably win.  second would likely be Siri, for just the story of how she handles her situation, then Vasher then Vivenna.

Vivenna’s my favorite character of the 4 because of the awesome character growth. Reading her viewpoints at the end is really satisfying because you know where she comes from. That being said, her early viewpoints are frustrating because you just want to yell at her fir being wrong. So I had to go with Lightsong for having the most well rounded viewpoints in terms of how engaged I was.

9 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Vivenna’s my favorite character of the 4 because of the awesome character growth. Reading her viewpoints at the end is really satisfying because you know where she comes from. That being said, her early viewpoints are frustrating because you just want to yell at her fir being wrong. So I had to go with Lightsong for having the most well rounded viewpoints in terms of how engaged I was.

I feel like siri and lightsong are almost pure growth (plus lightsong starts out fun and lighthearted and never completely loses that), and vasher is pretty much unchanged from start to end.  but vivenna has to hit rock bottom in order to grow, and the process of getting her there can be hard to read at times.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

I feel like siri and lightsong are almost pure growth (plus lightsong starts out fun and lighthearted and never completely loses that), and vasher is pretty much unchanged from start to end. 

Siri’s growth is subtle, and not the most interesting IMO. My take on her development is basically that she grew more confident, and it’s basically an un-nuanced take on the coming of age story. She’s not a bad character, but I was more interested in what happened around her and to her than in her personality or growth. Lightsong’s character arc is definitely great. It’s very original, and his charisma pulls you along even when his plot line moves slower. But it’s hard to argue that Vivenna’s growth isn’t the most dramatic, and that’s what I love about her. After the Denth reveal and she hit rock bottom, I found her chapters at least as interesting as Lightsong, perhaps more so. I always love it when a character gets put through the ringer, and it was extremely cathartic because while I sympathized with her, I also felt satisfied that her self-righteous attitude was finally shattered. The early chapters were the only ones that bothered me slightly, and Vivenna’s arrogance quickly became tolerable because a lot of action occurred during her viewpoints. I never really had trouble trudging through her POVs like it sounds like you did. I was annoyed with her, but I can deal with annoying if the people around them are interesting the plot moves quickly. In fact, Shallan’s probably annoyed me more than Vivenna has.

Edited by ILuvHats

I like all of them but Lightsong is defiantly my favorite. He is really funny and it's fun to see how he grows but does not lose his humor.

Vasher and Siri are kind of equal because I like Siri but she does almost nothing and Vasher because reluctant mentor's are really interesting to read.

I don't like Vivenna because I feel like she is really snotty the whole time.

• 1 month later...

For me, my order is Siri, Lightsong, Vasher, Vivenna. 

In terms of pure entertainment, Lightsong wins.

For character development enjoyment, I really appreciated Siri’s progress. I also liked how her behavior and personality contrasted with Vivenna. 

Vasher’s backstory made his character fascinating. 

Vivenna annoyed me for about 90% of her PoV. Her ignorance, arrogance and judgment were tiring. 

Edited by Puris92

It's Vasher for me: He has a lot of Nightblood, the most interesting stuff with Awakening, and the duel at the end with an finish that I like a lot (I think Brandon is generally amazing when it comes to ending duels in a satisfying way! There's just so much out-of-the-box trickery involved sometimes, it's just fun to read). I also generally enjoy reading characters that know a lot more than me. It makes me feel like sneaking a peek of something large and important, and everything they think or say could potentially contain something very important. The Wit scenes in Stormlight have a similar effect.

I like them all though! Lightsong is the most entertaining, Vivenna has the strongest character development, and while Siri doesn't develop as much, she makes Susebron develop and that's just as beautiful to see!

• 3 weeks later...

1. Siri/Vasher. Siri felt like a 8-year-old girl to me and the way she solve problems is cute and interesting. Also the nights she spent with Susebron felt peaceful, it kind of let us take a break from all mess her sister cause. Vasher is powerful, grumpy but kind, has a sad history. I think that's enough reasons for me to like him.

2. Lightsong. He's the most humorous and his character growth is original.

3. Vivenna. I'll admit she has the strongest character development but she's way too ignorant at first. 

Edited by Evi

• 2 weeks later...

1: Siri - She appreciates the little things, throughout the entire book. For example, when she picks her dresses, she knows that she won't see any of them again, so she wants to make the right choice, wants to enjoy her life to the fullest, even as she's trapped. The way she acts with the God King is also super understanding and sweet, I am certain that if Vivenna had ended up marrying the God King, he would still be illiterate and clueless.

2: Lightsong - What everyone else said about him, and also, the way he looks at being a "god" is really interesting. Wondering if he's still a god if he doesn't believe. He also seems so carefree and careless, but then you realize that he's not. The rest of the gods frolic, not caring what they do, there are no consequences. Every time Blushweaver tried to tempt him, he always refused, which shocked her. He's a god, but he doesn't act like the rest of them. In fact, even though he doesn't believe he's a god, I think he tries to act like what a god should be. Sure, he's lazy and doesn't want to do the things the gods are required to, but he searches for answers. His development is somewhat subtle, but vital.

3: Vasher - Dark, brooding, mysterious, Nightblood, what's not to love?? The reason he's down so far is because it was all so dark. He didn't have a single moment of lightheartedness, which is hard for me to get through.

4: Vivenna - She's kind of a spoiled brat at first. Her purpose was to marry the God King, she follows Siri to "save" her, but really to try and steal the spotlight back. I'm not going to call her naive, because I too trusted Denth and Tonk Fah until they betrayed her. She also appreciates nothing about the big city, only seeing the bad things. Kind of a conflicting character, a trusting pessimist. She does have an incredible arc, though, so maybe I should cut her some slack.

• 1 month later...

Lightsong is the best character Brandon has written so far. clear no. 1 for me. he pretends to be a lazy and uncaring, but its become very apparent throughout the book that hes is a truely good guy. I want to include Llarimar into this aswell. his character has a lot to do with why I like Lightsong so much. their interactions and dialogues. so its more both than just 1 character.

Vasher is a close second in the book. my favorite part about him is that we see how he avoids to kill if its possible, but he is not above using violence to make ends meet. a realist. I like those. and still deep down a good natured person. one that is aware that hes not perfect.

Siri because she manages to stay true to herself and embrace her nature. which turns out to be the right thing.

Vivenna because she does not give up after she finds out shes been duped. her arc is great. thinking (and being thought of) herself the perfect princess and she gets duped easily. making 1 mistake after another. I could type essays here. theres so much to talk about in her arc. she went from naive princess in her dreamworld to a cunning disillusioned realist. she got easily led and later on she leeds. instead of burrying hear head in the sand she doubles down and tries to fix the problems she caused by her naivite.

• 3 months later...

1. Lightsong: I loved his jokes and underlying intensity. I was always laughing when I read his chapters, and I was most intrigued by how the Returned operated in Warbreaker. Lightsong helped explore that aspect the most, as well as his slow discovery of the person he once was, and the person he was becoming.

2. Siri: Siri just had that air of innocence, though I think her relationship with the God King happened way too quickly. I find her to be the most relatable, so that’s what drew me to her.

3. Vivenna: I think Vivenna had the most interesting plot line - her journey to banish her ignorance, and hatred towards the hallandren was something I really appreciated.

4. Vasher: I think the highlight of Vasher’s chapters were his conversations with Nightblood. But he’s last on my list because we just didn’t see that much with him.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:16 AM, Honorless said:

Mine goes to Vivenna. I loved her heel faced turn. Siri had a strong beginning,  but stuff stopped happening in her chapters. Lightsong actively tried to make sure stuff didn't happen in his chapters, which was kind of fun, but I found myself skipping his chapters upon rereads. Vasher was fascinating and grumpy but I don't think we saw enough from his point-of-view to really feel as close to him as we did with the other three.

Wow. On re-reads I often find myself skimming to the Lightsong POVs. Even when he was being "irresponsible", the very fact that he thought to himself that he was being irresponsible showed he had a sense of responsibility, and his sudden passion for investigating a mystery that intrigued him as to what he had been when alive was fun, too.

Even more so when his high priest, whom he had nicknamed "Scooter" specifically to annoy him, finally blows up and tells him he had been a "Colors-cursed scribe", which depresses him into thinking he was a complete fraud as a god. "An idiot, a silly little scribe who was allowed to play god for a few years, a coward."

Only for Llarimar to softly bring him back by telling him not just how he lived but how he died, saving another person, and who he was to him personally.

"You were a scribe, and one of the best men I'd ever known. You were my brother. ... A man who had died to save another. ...You are a god, to me, at least. ... It has to do with who you are, and what you mean."

That's the best scene in the entire book to me, despite Vasher's dropping arcane knowledge or the awesomeness of Nightblood finally unsheathed.

A close second: Vasher creating a Lifeless squirrel with the Command, "Run around and bite people who aren't me."

Edited by robardin

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, Honorless said:

i second your motion.

Just finished the book so I'm a bit late to this!

Regarding how chapters tied into the overall story, I find that Siri's chapters and her interactions with the God King were the most interesting for me.

Having said that, at the time when both Siri's and Vivenna's stories were advancing quickly I got exteremely excited when I saw a Lightsong chapter as his conversations seemed extremely funny to me while also revealing some underlying information about his past self.