Knight of Iron

Investiture and its relation to one's personality

7 posts in this topic

I have recently come across this particular WOB:

Questioner

Can Odium pick up pieces of a Shard without changing the nature of his Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Any investiture, over time, will slowly change one’s personality, no matter how small that investiture.

Salt Lake City signing 2012 (Nov. 6, 2012)

This, I find kind of interesting, especially "no matter how small that investiture." I can see how if someone were to somehow hold Stormlight for a very long time, they might change to be more driven, to act more, as Stormlight does. Or maybe having a crazy ton of Breaths like Susebron would make one more... willing to endow? Is there a word for that? Maybe that's kind of why he's so nice. And now a word on innate investiture.

We know that nearly all humans in the cosmere have what is called innate Investiture. Now I'm pretty sure that the process for changing one's personality is very slow, and the amount of innate investiture so small, that I doubt it is really going to make much of a difference when comparing a normal human from Roshar to one from Scadrial, or Nalthis, etc. But as a race, maybe they lean ever so slightly towards the intent of the investiture they are invested with? Scadrians are more ruinous or preservation, Nalthians are more, endowment-y. I guess what I'm kind of wondering is what you guys think of that. Has anyone seen what might be differences in the nature of humanity between different Shardworlds? What do you think?

The last thing I'd also like to bring up is Hoid. Because we know Hoid is acquiring bits of Investiture, with breaths and Surgebinding and his being Mistborn now. Sometimes I feel like he's a little bit of a different person across books and before I just guessed it was him playing different roles. Though, maybe this explains part of it. Anyways. Thoughts? 

I think we can say with a small degree of certainty that holding breath does not make you nicer or move of a giver due to the existence of Vasher who remains cynical even at the fifth heightening.  As to Hoid.  He seems to be mixing intents so I think the changes will probably cancel themselves out.

I don't think the effect would be noticeable from using Investiture, but rather from holding it.

Allomancers don't really hold Investiture for long, just burn metal to quickly convert it into Investiture. Holding Stormlight does seem to make one feel restless, but that's probably because that's the nature of Stormlight: it needs to cycle into the ecosystem, it needs to flow, it needs to be spent. Any personality differences we might see in Surgebinders would be due to them being Radiant: their Ideals and their spren rather than their Investiture, which they carry around in Spheres on their person, inhale and then quickly spend it. They don't really hold on to it. Breath, on the other hand, is held within Awakeners and they were once a part of other people, this has a miniscule effect:

Ghero6

In Vahr's case, did collecting Breath from other rebel-minded people strengthen his determination and resolve?

Brandon Sanderson

It would have had an influence on him, but you would need the numbers of Breaths that he had for any effect to manifest. It's basically a non-issue in the current book, but it could be an issue in some of the things that will happen in the next book.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

As for humans of a Shardworld being influenced by the Intent of the resident Shard. I'd say that's more of a function of how their culture interacts with the resident Shard and how they access the Shard's power. Simply using a Shard's Investiture wouldn't really have that big an effect on the populace. That's not enough of a Connection for that to happen, I think it'd need something more significant than simply being Invested.

Edited by R J

I do remember a piece from the first of the Hoid letters in Oathbringer, where Hoid talks about Ati (the previous vessel for Ruin)

Ati was once a kind and generous man, and you saw what became of him. 

It would seem that the long-term Investiture that comes with ascension effected Ati immensely, the Ruin Shard completely changing his motives to the force we see in the first Mistborn trilogy.

These are my thoughts on the topic; I don't know how much short-term Investiture would change a person, but I hope that cleared something up.

11 hours ago, Matrim's_Dice said:

I do remember a piece from the first of the Hoid letters in Oathbringer, where Hoid talks about Ati (the previous vessel for Ruin)

It would seem that the long-term Investiture that comes with ascension effected Ati immensely, the Ruin Shard completely changing his motives to the force we see in the first Mistborn trilogy.

These are my thoughts on the topic; I don't know how much short-term Investiture would change a person, but I hope that cleared something up.

I think it affected Ati so bad because he ascended to Ruin to try and control it

he saw Ruin as this awful destructive force that needed to be controlled. Not a necessary part if life like Sazed(Elend says in Secret History)

“Elend said. “Ruin is more than death and destruction. It is peace with these things.”

some Shards can fight their Intent and remain who they were for a long time(probably thousands of years) while others get warped to their intent pretty quick

itll eventually happen to all shards though(if they live long enough)

Edited by Eternal Khol

10 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

I think it affected Ati so bad because he ascended to Ruin to try and control it

he saw Ruin as this awful destructive force that needed to be controlled. Not a necessary part if life like Sazed(Elend says in Secret History)

“Elend said. “Ruin is more than death and destruction. It is peace with these things.”

some Shards can fight their Intent and remain who they were for a long time(probably thousands of years) while others get warped to their intent pretty quick

itll eventually happen to all shards though(if they live long enough)

I do think this is true, but I think there is also danger to even those who go along with their shards. I've always gotten the impression that Tanavast was very Honor-y but he was still influenced by the shard enough to think that the Heralds would never break their pact, so I think even if you don't fight it the shard will change your personality with time. 

1 hour ago, Brassweaver said:

so I think even if you don't fight it the shard will change your personality with time. 

Thats what i said at the bottom.

we also see it in Leras too. 

Spoiler

“I…” God wavered, figure distorting. “I…” He cocked his head. “What was I saying?” “About how the Lord Ruler expanded his soul.” “That was delightful,” God said. “It was spectacular to watch! And now he is Preserved. I am glad you didn’t find a way to destroy him. Everyone else passes, but not him. It’s wonderful.” “Wonderful?” Kelsier felt like spitting. “He’s a tyrant, Fuzz.” “He’s unchanging,” God said, defensive. “He’s a brilliant specimen. So unique. I don’t agree with what he does, but one can empathize with the lamb while admiring the lion, can one not?”

Right here we see that Leras’ mind, his consciousness, doesn’t agree with what the Lord Ruler does but his Power, his Intent, doesnt care about that. Thats why he was so sad when TLR died

it shows us just how intertwined a Vessel and the Intent are

Edited by Eternal Khol