Rock's shard's

Cope97

17 minutes ago, Cope97 said:

Rock is king? When did that happen 

It's established in Way of Kings. The first Horneater to earn shards will become king. It was the quest that got Rock enslaved and his brothers killed. 

It's in Chapter 23

“The nuatoma, they see our lack of Shards as great shame. They want these weapons very badly. It is believed that the nuatoma who first obtains a Shardblade would become king, a thing we have not had for many years. No peak would fight another peak where a man held one of the blessed Blades.”

Edited by Aminar

Just now, Cope97 said:

Hmmm Rock as King i doubt it nobility will not accept it 

He was already dodging the responsibility of going home and leading his peak after his brothers were killed. From there he's got shards and Dalinar needs someone to bring the Horneaters into the alliance. Seems like it works out really well for everyone but Rock. 

3 minutes ago, Cope97 said:

Horneater Peaks are under Jah-Keved so they are in alliance

You can read it that way, but I'm pretty sure they're largely left to their own devices and haven't acknowledged any Kevedian authority. They certainly aren't Vorin, don't have the whole Lighteyes caste system, and go to war amongst themselves enough for Rock to comment on why having Shards would unite the peaks. Not to mention how the quote I gave is obvious foreshadowing. Rock's got some responsibility to take on. 

A couple chapters later, when Rock receives his razor, he also says "My friends, you cannot know what you have done! Someday, I will take you to the Peaks and show you the hospitality of kings!"

While this is and the prior quote are clearly building his back story, they seem too specifically focused on a king of the Peaks to not be hints of foreshadowing. 

Rock now has the shards that he admitted would make any Horneater a king and unite the Peaks. There seems to be trouble at Cultivation's perpendicularity, and I strongly expect to see some action between these two things in books 4 and 5. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Rock now has the shards that he admitted would make any Horneater a king and unite the Peaks. There seems to be trouble at Cultivation's perpendicularity, and I strongly expect to see some action between these two things in books 4 and 5. 

He actually is planed to have his own Novella.

14 hours ago, Cope97 said:

Horneater Peaks are under Jah-Keved so they are in alliance

While technically true, i suspect they see themselves as sovereign. They aren't going to let some airsick lowlanders boss them around, and the main population probably thinks horneater culture has nothing to offer. They live in craggy, difficult terrain and are probably seen as intimidating or aggressive. They even speak separate languages.

1 hour ago, Evi said:

Actually, I think it's possible that Rock will give Helaran's blade to Shallan or one of her brothers. With that, he will have one Shardblade left, it's likely that he will give it to one of his son since he's a Windrunner and can't summon any died spren as a Shardblade.

Whay give shard to shallan or her brother. Whay not give bridge 4 members. 

1 hour ago, Cope97 said:

Whay give shard to shallan or her brother. Whay not give bridge 4 members. 

I don't know what Rock will do with the blades, but members of Bridge 4 who are squires can't use the blades. They will here screams. Also, the value of shard blades and plate continue to decrease. Scarcity...or the lack thereof. 

3 hours ago, Evi said:

Actually, I think it's possible that Rock will give Helaran's blade to Shallan or one of her brothers. With that, he will have one Shardblade left, it's likely that he will give it to one of his son since he's a Windrunner and can't summon any died spren as a Shardblade.

There doesn't seem to be an interesting plot development there given how likely it is Shallan's profoundly broken family will attract Spren. I'd also like to see Rock not be a Windrunner. He isn't one yet, only a squire and I suspect Squires may attract other kinds of Spren depending on their personality and goals. 

I also have my doubts on if a Squire will actually hear screaming from a Shardblade. They may sense a wrongness, but I think until they actually have a Spren bond they aren't going to hear the screams. 

Edited by Aminar

13 hours ago, Evi said:

He already gave Oathbringer to Dalinar, so he only has one blade left. I don't see him giving it to people he barely knows (Shallan's family) when so many horneaters have struggled so long to get shards. That said, since he is unwilling to fight, he may not want to keep the shards himself. Although after killing to save Kaladin, and with his family depleted, maybe he steps into a role that uses shards at least for what they represent to the peaks. 

40 minutes ago, cfphelps said:

He already gave Oathbringer to Dalinar, so he only has one blade left. I don't see him giving it to people he barely knows (Shallan's family) when so many horneaters have struggled so long to get shards. That said, since he is unwilling to fight, he may not want to keep the shards himself. Although after killing to save Kaladin, and with his family depleted, maybe he steps into a role that uses shards at least for what they represent to the peaks. 

My first reply!

I'm not sure what he will end up doing with the extra blade. 

It feels like he is going to reject the blades for himself, then speaks the next ideal (which might include something like "even if I have to fight") 

and boom he has a shard blade anyway and can be king and his honor restored.  

Side Note: Do you think he spoke the 2nd ideal before he saved Kaladin? 

Ohh the more I think about it, here's my crackpot theory. 

Notice in the quote about king it says "It is believed"

Maybe Rock returns to the peaks, gives the shards to someone to become king, because he doesn't want to. 

Instead of that person becoming king and everything is swell, some sneaky person tries to steal the blade/plate by assassinating their kin, this causes conflict obviously.

But then, a greater threat reaches the horneater peaks, like odiums forces. 

Rock is forced to protect this assassin/thief person(who is a horneater) from the greater threat and speaks the third ideal (maybe having to do with "even if I have to fight")

Then boom he summons a true shardblade, blows all the horneaters minds, unites them, and becomes king. 

47 minutes ago, Category5 said:

Then boom he summons a true shardblade, blows all the horneaters minds, unites them, and becomes king. 

Fairly roundabout but I suppose that works and is well within Brandon's wheelhouse.  Also Welcome to the shard!

Edited by Karger

58 minutes ago, Category5 said:

Ohh the more I think about it, here's my crackpot theory. 

Notice in the quote about king it says "It is believed"

Maybe Rock returns to the peaks, gives the shards to someone to become king, because he doesn't want to. 

Instead of that person becoming king and everything is swell, some sneaky person tries to steal the blade/plate by assassinating their kin, this causes conflict obviously.

But then, a greater threat reaches the horneater peaks, like odiums forces. 

Rock is forced to protect this assassin/thief person(who is a horneater) from the greater threat and speaks the third ideal (maybe having to do with "even if I have to fight")

Common belief holds a lot of weight. It depends how much narrative time is dedicated to that story versus the core cast. I can't see Rock getting that much screen time unless it's the aforementioned novella and well.... I think that would be a rough novella to do until we know for sure Rock's going Windrunner. I'd almost like to see him as a Bondsmith or Stoneward more. 

32 minutes ago, Karger said:

He is already a squire.

And we have no idea if that means he gets an honorspren. Being a Radiant has a lot to do with what motivates you. Rock isn't exactly motivated by a desire to throw himself in harms way to protect people the way Teft or Kaladin are. 

53 minutes ago, Aminar said:

And we have no idea if that means he gets an honorspren. Being a Radiant has a lot to do with what motivates you. Rock isn't exactly motivated by a desire to throw himself in harms way to protect people the way Teft or Kaladin are. 

He compromised his principles to save Kaladin.  I see him as Windrunner material.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

He compromised his principles to save Kaladin.  I see him as Windrunner material.

That's fine. My point is entirely that until he swears a 2nd oath he could be any order. It seems silly to think all of Bridge 4 will attract Honor Spren, squires or no. Personally, as cool as Windrunners are, there's a lot of orders to explore and Rock joining a different Order gives him a potentially more interesting progression. Especially given how Bondsmith's do this whole leading/bringing people together without as much violence, but possibly with stew, thing. Being Bondsmith material is certainly rarer than Windrunner. And given some of the speculation in other threads about the Sibling being related to the Stones... Rock and the Stonespren. Too good.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Rock is now Nuatoma for his family/clan since all his older brothers died. I recall his wife trying to mention this and him sternly saying he's a cook now in OB. So, he's already kind of a king, but not of all Horneaters, just his clan. It will be interesting to see what he does with those Shards, if it weren't for them Kaladin would never have made it to Bridge 4 and saved the bridgemen, including Rock.